• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda hope that with next gen (PS6 & next Xbox) I can finally use my own Bluetooth headphones.

jorgejjvr

Not just the super old school 3.5mm on the controller, or with a proprietary Sony headphone or Xbox headphone (and USB dongle), or with a cheap Bluetooth dongle. Heck, my switch lets me do this, I can connect my Bluetooth headphones to it out of the box, directly, no dongle. Maybe it's time for Sony and MS to catch up in this regard

Last edited:

Quasicat

Agreed! I wanted this feature so bad, that I made sure my LG had when I replaced my TV last year. Now it’s mandatory with all future TVs.

I don’t think Xbox is going to make anymore consoles going forward. Maybe a pro version for this current gens Xbox but probably that’s it.

USB dongles are fine, with Bluetooth You Will have too much latency.
This is the answer.

Bluetooth, even its its best forms, has too much latency for gaming. It's fine for music, videos, etc. This is why gaming headsets use wireless dongles.

I find the current method of having the controller use a headset jack to be the best. You can use some of the highest quality headsets and still have the near-zero latency and essentially a wireless connection.

It's a closed ecosystem and you are completely powerless as a customer. If they profit off of selling their own proprietary headphones or something, you'll have to like that. Their turf, their rules.

jorgejjvr

USB dongles are fine, with Bluetooth You Will have too much latency. You can always use your tv's Bluetooth, so You can check.
The only USB dongle that works is Sony's own dongle and headphones that I'm aware. Also my current Bluetooth headphones work perfectly fine on my switch, got no issues with latency. If my day 1 2017 old crusty switch can do it, why not my PS5/XSX?

jorgejjvr

This is the answer.

Bluetooth, even its its best forms, has too much latency for gaming. It's fine for music, videos, etc. This is why gaming headsets use wireless dongles.

I find the current method of having the controller use a headset jack to be the best. You can use some of the highest quality headsets and still have the near-zero latency and essentially a wireless connection.
Works perfectly fine with my single player games on switch

My tv supports Bluetooth headphones so i just use that to play games.

Some tvs don't though, which sucks. My new bedroom tv doesn't. Of course it was a cheap tv.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That would be great. Can't use the pulse on my PS5A without the USB dongle and it doesn't work on Xbox at all even with the dongle.

A unified system would be great so I can use the same thing across multiple devices.

Doggyred

Neo Member
It's a closed ecosystem and you are completely powerless as a customer. If they profit off of selling their own proprietary headphones or something, you'll have to like that. Their turf, their rules.
I still don't get how console owners will gladly pay to get fucked in the ass.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
USB dongles are fine, with Bluetooth You Will have too much latency. You can always use your tv's Bluetooth, so You can check.
Only the 0.001% most likely care about this. Everyone else wants Bluetooth with their own headphones they are used to. Not the crappy proprietary ones.

Last edited:

Bitstream

They don't use standard bluetooth headphone due to issues with latency and radio interference. By using dongles that are paired directly with the devices they can minimize the impact of other wifi / radio devices have on the quality and latency of the audio feed.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Bluetooth is the shittiest wireless audio protocol invented and we’re stuck with it thanks to mobile and legacy reasons. Quality, stability and latency suck whenever BT is involved.

Modern gaming headsets allow you to even dualcast, but there’s dongle for every gaming headset for a reason. If you want to use BT just try it with your tv.

My personal compact setup is ChiFi Fiio JH3 and DualSense wired 3.5mm connection. It's cheap, light, compact and sounds terrific.

Last edited:

Natsuko

Sure. If the EU passes a law by then that makes it mandatory, you'll experience that. Otherwise? Dream on.

Homer Simpson Dreaming GIF

Top Bottom