• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Wallach

No I mean, exclusively just sticking to one weapon set and weapon set only. Daggers only. Faeswords only. Or bows only.

Which weapon will be the easiest to do this?

If I had to use just one weapon type, I'd probably go with chakram.

Edit - If you mean just Finesse weapons, I would take the faeblades.

No I mean, exclusively just sticking to one weapon set and weapon set only. Daggers only. Faeswords only. Or bows only.

Bows only will not be very viable.. as a lot of enemies like to get up close.. and some of them can dodge arrows.

You could certainly do daggers only or faeblades only.. I'm using both on my rogue type character, though.

I've been playing about 10 hours.. I've only done 1-2 parts of the main quest.. I've been pretty much ignoring it.. except when my side quests take me to the same area as required by the main quest.

Here are some screenshots.. (click for full size)

Awesome looking door -

In a dungeon.. -

I don't really have any complaints visually.. it runs great at 2560x1440 (60+ fps) and the lighting is really good, imo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a fence in Gorhart? The amount of stolen equipment I'm carrying is starting to become burdensome.

Rad Agast

Bloody hell.

Just started this game. Just arrived at the first village/town. What the hell, man, what the hell. So many options. So many cool looking weapons. So many choices to make.

The dual-wielding weapons like daggers and their respective battle skills look so cool. But the flashy boom and bang of the mage tree seem so alluring as well (and the chakrams look so goddamn awesome.) But the armor plates for the warrior class look so awesome too!

And the bloody destinies! Which one should I pick? They're all looking equally tempting! Archmage? Nightblade? Or the Universalist? GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH *head explodes*

So uh guys, skill recommendations? Everyone seem agree that Detect Hidden is crucial but what about the rest?

I'm having the same problem at the moment, was planning on going through the game as a mage previously but I like all the other options in the game. I'm sticking to my guns for this first play-through it's a bit hard right now but I think that I'll manage.

It depends. I would not suggest using only the Daggers or Faeblades as a rogue. I am not saying it is not doable but the bow is such an amazing backup weapon that it should not be missed. Not to mention the fact that on later levels the arrows have a chance of doing bleeding damage over time. Do not limit yourself to one weapon if you are not a warrior because you will limit the fun you can have. Mages without Chakrams is half the fun as well.

I've been playing about 10 hours.. I've only done 1-2 parts of the main quest.. I've been pretty much ignoring it.. except when my side quests take me to the same area as required by the main quest.

Do not forget that there comes a time where I suggest that you do follow plenty of main quests because each main quest starts and ends in a totally different place. I even once started a main quest that made me walk back all the way to the region I have already done hours before. I'd suggest doing all the quests in two regions and then starting 1 or 2 main quests. Rince and repeat.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You can't dodge arrows if you launched off your feat into the air :p

Also the really big guys that you would want to kite a bit at times dont really dodge.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It depends. I would not suggest using only the Daggers or Faeblades as a rogue. I am not saying it is not doable but the bow is such an amazing backup weapon that it should not be missed. Not to mention the fact that on later levels the arrows have a chance of doing bleeding damage over time. Do not limit yourself to one weapon if you are not a warrior because you will limit the fun you can have. Mages without Chakrams is half the fun as well.

Hehehe, well, actually I am pretty OCD about this kind of stuff, you know. I like my character's appearance to be "consistent", meaning that I dislike seeing the weapon models disappear and re-appear when switching main and secondary weapons. It looks weird to me.

That is why in games like Skyrim I stuck to just one weapon type (or no weapon at all) only so that my character look "consistent". You know, so that 2 handed axe that I just use don't just magically disappear when I switch to bows or swords. I like the looks of my characters to be persistent.

It's sort of hard to explain but this is just one of my *very* weird gaming habits, I suppose :)

Fletcher

Yeah. I really like this game.

Only complaint I have is the camera, which I'm always moving around as it's blocking my view during battle. A lock on would be perfect, especially when I get surrounded by enemies.

You can't dodge arrows if you launched off your feat into the air :p

Also the really big guys that you would want to kite a bit at times dont really dodge.

I always kite the giants and put frost traps in the path they are going to run. This takes away about 50% of their health before they even managed to get close to me.

Wallach

Bugger. I suppose I'll just dump the junk, then.

Note that you could totally go to that location much earlier than I went there. That's just the first one I hit. The name of the location on the map is
Star Camp
I think, if you're curious. Maybe there's an even closer one, I don't pay much attention since I don't really steal anything.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I always kite the giants and put frost traps in the path they are going to run. This takes away about 50% of their health before they even managed to get close to me.

Yeah bow's are pretty amazing once you spec into them. I'm doing plenty of damage with mine, it's giving me a solid range game on my universalist. I saving my mp for combo enders and such.

Yeah bow's are pretty amazing once you spec into them. I'm doing plenty of damage with mine, it's giving me a solid range game on my universalist. I saving my mp for combo enders and such.

Agreed.

A lot of people seem to hate on bows because in past games the bow is always a weak weapon and is only nice for aesthetics but in this game there is more than just meets the eye. The only ability I absolutely hate is the one where you can rain down arrows from the sky. I only put 1 point into it so I could get the barbed arrows for the bleeding damage, but it seems totally useless because most enemies will never stay stationary because I am always dodging a lot.

Wallach

Not a huge complaint, but the design of the skill trainers seems pretty stupid in this game. The skill limits on individual trainers is totally pointless since they can only sell one skill point per trainer, and just makes it annoying to go back for later. You'd have to respec at a Fateweaver to get ones later in the game for skills you advanced beyond the skill level of the trainer.

Parfait

I just learned the hard way that you can only have one character per profile. I'll miss my level 22 mage until the day the trainer comes out because i refuse to play that 16 hours again without one.

Edit: On the pc version. I even checked the folder for my saves. Only four :( (Auto, Quick, manual and the save it makes right after the tutorial.)

I just learned the hard way that you can only have one character per profile. I'll miss my level 22 mage until the day the trainer comes out because i refuse to play that 16 hours again without one.

Edit: On the pc version. I even checked the folder for my saves. Only four :( (Auto, Quick, manual and the save it makes right after the tutorial.)

I can understand as to why they did not gave us the option to have more character slots considering you can respec.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Note that you could totally go to that location much earlier than I went there. That's just the first one I hit. The name of the location on the map is
Star Camp
I think, if you're curious. Maybe there's an even closer one, I don't pay much attention since I don't really steal anything.

I don't think I've come across that place just yet, though I haven't done much exploring.

syllogism

HOLY SHIT @ Meteor.

I said God damn.
Meteor is hilariously broken, especially once you remember that spells autocrit from stealth. I don't have particularly impressive gear and meteor is doing 4+k damage in huge AoE. It's easily castable at close range too as the casting time is quite quick.

Wallach

Are you saying by starting a new game it erased all your previous save files?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Word of warning for people solving every quest in a zone before moving on-

You can easily over-level in this game, making some of the longer early story missions extremely easy and boring when you finally get to them.

This game almost has too much content. You should really skip some of it and get on with the main quest, even if you're playing on hard.

Kem0sabe

Anyone know where to buy backpacks for extra inventory space? The inventory you start with is clearly too small :(

Now for some updated impressions:

Story so far
(up to the book of fate sequence where you fight the tuatha at the top of the fateweaver tower)
is forgettable and probably one of the most uninspiring starts to an rpg that i have played. Still at the start of the game tho, so hope it picks up.

Combat on normal is mind numbing easy, had to switch to hard to have even a remote challenge.

Detect hidden is nice, but for all the hidden caches under rocks or logs, i haven´t got anything truly nice. But as loot seems to be random maybe it´s just bad luck.

Damn this game is huge, i´m still half way through the first zone i figure, kinda tired of starring at the same environment tho, even within the forest they could have changed up thing a bit.

Added the injectors and custom filters to the game and it looks a lot better, with post processing off of course. Dunno why developers think "bloom" = "fantasy".

Quests still amount of kill / fetch quests, this isnt an mmo! you could have done so much better guys :(

Overall, i might sound overly critical for someone whos still playing the game, but in the end, i´m having more fun than grinding another character through SW:TOR, so KoA it is :)

Wallach

There's a backpack for sale in Gorhart, the goods vendor in the same building as the blacksmith. Make sure to poke around when you get to new towns (though I don't think all towns have one for sale).

There's a backpack for sale in Gorhart, the goods vendor in the same building as the blacksmith. Make sure to poke around when you get to new towns (though I don't think all towns have one for sale).

Backpacks are not just in towns but they are also hidden in the world.

Wallach

Backpacks are not just in towns but they are also hidden in the world.

Really? Nice. I don't recall finding one yet...

On a side note, I wonder why the DLC didn't get put up for PC. There's a link to a pack that kind of sounds like all three of the packs put together on the Origin webstore, but it's broken and doesn't point to a valid store page.

Mutombo

i gather from reviews that the latter part of the game becomes too easy due to you being too much of a badass.

play on hard for more excitement confirmed?

verdict on the game, so far?

shaowebb

I played a ton today and I think after messing around that my tactical style of fighting would work better with chakrams than either daggers or fae blades. I go full keep away and once they get inside I try to be quick and use things that push them out away from my dude. Chakrams have a really good area effect attack using the charge mode that spins them out from you like an explosion.
The daggers, while inferior to awesome fae blade combos, have that berzerker slash go behind maneuver thats a bit safer on its charge attack and awhile back I started using the shield and after seeing that video above showing shield cancels making normals safe on recovery frames and being able to cancel into the charge attack...well I know the shield is big for me.

So now I'm kind of stuck. I'm still going full on arrows, but my primary weapon is a toss up. Better combos juggles with faeblades due to launchers, safer combos with daggers due to their dodges, or better area coverage due to chakrams? If I go into magic more I could enjoy better shields or rather better big glowing energy shields.

Looks like I may not go for might/finesse and Warden fate after all. I may just go Finesse/Magic. I only wanted might for the harpoon move I already grabbed anyhow. Now to just figure out which of the 3 speedy primary weapons I want to main. Its kind of hard since I got nicely buffed versions of each. Point investment just got trickier...time to hit the calculator!

My bow is my signature attack in this game. It does most of my work for me. Can't tell you how many times I've berzerker slashed with poison touch on behind a dude and then walked backwards firing arrows in him till he died before he could even get close. Shit was so Legolis.

Hawk269

You can easily over-level in this game, making some of the longer early story missions extremely easy and boring when you finally get to them.

This game almost has too much content. You should really skip some of it and get on with the main quest, even if you're playing on hard.

This. I am 6.5 hours in, on Hard, not spamming potions and have not died once. I mainly have done the side quests in the beginning as some of them are pretty long and did part of a faction quest. Right now, my Bow can almost one-shot kill some enemies, if not 1, then 2, but still pretty lethal.

The problem is they tried too hard to make a single player game in the mold of a MMO and forgot about the balance that MMO's have. In the beginning, they give you way too powerful items and you just end up owning every enemy in the area. The Mass Effect armor and the weopons you get are just way to over powerful for that area.

I know someone is going to say "well dont use them" or with potions "well dont spam them" to make the game more challenging, hell with that logic I can put the controller on the floor and try playing with my feet to make it more chalenging.

It is a great game with alot of great ideas and they pull off alot of great things into it that I really enjoy, but one of the more important things "game balancing" was not high on the priority list. I am not even touching how even more broken the game is with Blacksmithing as well.

I love doing side-quests in RPG's and so far the ones in this game have been great, but the more side quests I do, the more the game becomes broken because of the lack of difficulty. It's like they give us all this stuff to do, but if you do it the game becomes a cake walk and there is no challenge. This is the 1st RPG that I have played that I have not died in the early portions of the game. Most RPG's you typically bite it a few times, in this game it is becoming almost comical on easy/overpowered you become so early in the game.

Hawk269

i gather from reviews that the latter part of the game becomes too easy due to you being too much of a badass.

play on hard for more excitement confirmed?

verdict on the game, so far?

The game is way to easy early on as well and that is on hard.

As far as verdict. I think it is fucking great..but balance issues take alot away from it. There is no fear of dying in this game and that takes alot away from it. Too much good loot too early in the game. To many items you find within the first hours or so that have all kinds of elemental effects that just tears up enemies making it like your are playing in "GOD MODE".

ReaperXL7

The game is way to easy early on as well and that is on hard.

As far as verdict. I think it is fucking great..but balance issues take alot away from it. There is no fear of dying in this game and that takes alot away from it. Too much good loot too early in the game. To many items you find within the first hours or so that have all kinds of elemental effects that just tears up enemies making it like your are playing in "GOD MODE".

Apprently Curt commented on the Day9 stream that he also believes that the difficulty should be looked at, so thats a positive sign for those that want a harder option.

dokish

Banned
You guys don't like Staff/Sceptre for a sorcery build? I've been liking it. The sceptre is good for getting some long range hits, if they get close go with staff, use magic in between. Seems like a nice mix to me so far.

I can't see a sorcery build who DOESN'T use a staff!

I loooove sceptre, because they can stop/slowdown enemy attacks, but right now I'm using Chakrams cuz Sceptres have reaaaally low damage, it's so frustrating. Yeah, I don't have points in Sceptre, but I don't know if its gonna work. Because the damage is so low (1~6), that even if you add points, how the damage is gonna turn out? 6~10? Doesn't look too good to sacrifice other skills.

Hawk269

How does it look better? That version has AA turned off.

After using it a little more, I actually dont like it. It basically just turning up the colors in the "blast mode". I am a HDTV ethusiast and in retail stores they set TV's up in the brightest possible setting that most call "torch" mode. Colors are blown out and skin tones don't look real. What this injector does is put the game in a super color mode that makes it look too colorful and overblown.

After applying and playing the game a few times with it on/off, I decided to remove it because it just looked to oversaturated with color.

Naeblish

Don't have the full game yet, but it's kinda disappointing to hear that Hard offers no challenge. It's obvious that combat and loot are the beef of this game, but without challenge combat becomes boring and loot redundant.

Don't have the full game yet, but it's kinda disappointing to hear that Hard offers no challenge. It's kinda obvious that the combat and loot are the beef of this game, but without challenge combat becomes boring and loot redundant.

It does not bother me one bit. There are some challenges in fights, especially with spiders and treshes that are quite frustrating.

Rad Agast

Can I come back and do all the side stuff after the main quest line is over? I'm not going to miss some side quests this way?

Cool, I guess I'll stick to the main story for most of this first play-through. Thanks.

I would not do that if I were you because eventually the main quest will traverse from one region to the next and if you are underleveled you will get your ass kicked by giants and trolls who are 10x stronger.

Also guys and girls. I have got a question. What class are you all playing and what do you think of it?

lucius

Like others I am finding it a bit easy on normal, so if I just change the difficulty to hard am I going to miss a trophy/ achiement if I don't start a new game?

Top Bottom