• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I've only got like 5k gold and these trainers cost 15k each and ive come across I think 3 of em so far and am lvl 4 so how can i get gold easier? blacksmith?

Kifimbo

I've only got like 5k gold and these trainers cost 15k each and ive come across I think 3 of em so far and am lvl 4 so how can i get gold easier? blacksmith?

Play more. You're still early. Gold isn't plentiful in this game. Sagecrafting can help you, some gems are worth thousands.

AEREC

Is there any way to edit the Profile name? After playign for a while I would like to use it for different characters, so my saves are not all lumped into one big list.

5 more annoying hours at work before I can start playing this game again. The weekend can not come soon enough.

The more I am watching some videos of the people playing Amalur with a Warrior or Mage, the more I absolutely love my choice of being a rogue.

Do not get me wrong. I am definitely going to play as a new warrior or mage or maybe even a Warrior/Mage hybrid but the rogue wins in terms of abilities that are good looking for eyes and can seriously punish each and every single enemy in such a brutal way that this might become my all time most favorite class. What can top Lunge, Smoke Bomb, Stealth Kills and Gambit? Seriously.

I tried out Faeblades for an hour but I could not get used to them. Daggers have this sort of finesse that I seek for a rogue character. Faeblades seem to hang in these swirl attacks for far to long, the charge attack is useless in comparison with the dagger charge and you are detected the minute you try to stealth kill an enemy because you break out of stealth when you attack.

Sophuis

Neo Member
I have some questions for the lucky people who already get to play this.

Does the Steam version give you the bonuses the Reckoning and Mass Effect demo's unlock(ed), or is the Origin version required for that? Does the Steam version still require you to log into an EA account, maybe?

How are load times on PC? Comparable to demo? Better?

I'm assuming there's a quick save and quick load in the full game?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Truant

Hey, I actually got gifted this game, so I'm going to play it despite the awful pop in.

So, how do I unlock it early? Any VPN accounts I can borrow from you guys? I think I've tried pretty much every trial stuff to get other games early.

It really is a great game. I went in suspicious- the demo just barely got me to day one- and I am hooked, big time. The gameplay is fantastic! Here's my main reason:

Reversing the camera view by quickly turning around and clicking the right stick. It snaps so quick, and it just feels good. Overall the camera control is a positive for me now that I have a feel for it.

The visuals are glorious.

Sometimes sound effects are late or not there at all, though...

Klyka

Banned
I have some questions for the lucky people who already get to play this.

Does the Steam version give you the bonuses the Reckoning and Mass Effect demo's unlock(ed), or is the Origin version required for that? Does the Steam version still require you to log into an EA account, maybe?

How are load times on PC? Comparable to demo? Better?

I'm assuming there's a quick save and quick load in the full game?

Thanks in advance, folks.

Steam version gives you the bonuses.

Load times are just like in the demo. >2 seconds for me.

F5 quicksaves, F9 quickloads.

Wallach

Controller really needs a second set of ability hotkeys.

Hostility toggle should be moved to down on the d-pad, and up should swap between two sets of hotkeys for R trigger.

Common complaints I haven't noticed (seems to be a trend for me personally):

- Camera issues (I'm using a controller so maybe it's different)
- LOD
- Pop-in
- Bad art

No issues at all with any of this stuff.

Controller really needs a second set of ability hotkeys.

Hostility toggle should be moved to down on the d-pad, and up should swap between two sets of hotkeys for R trigger.

Not possible.

Has to do with memory constraints on the consoles. 4 abilities used at once is the max.

- LOD
- Pop-in
- Bad art

The pop-in I can understand but the bad art? People really said that?

Kem0sabe

Not possible.

Has to do with memory constraints on the consoles. 4 abilities used at once is the max.

The pop-in I can understand but the bad art? People really said that?

I think the enemy art is actually good, but the environments are bit derivative. Dark siders (by the same artist) looks much better in my opinion.

The market is plain saturated with WoW´s visuals, and KoA might as well be a WoW expansion if it had another name.

Edit: For me, the most fantastic and artistic fantasy setting in the last few years in an rpg is by far the world envisioned in The Witcher 2, albeit in a smaller scale, it looks amazing and i still consider it the best looking game i have ever played :)

Different taste and all that.

I finally started playing last night and my first impressions are almost all positive. The game really sunk its teeth into me, I couldn't put it down at all for the five or so hours that I played it.

I had one really annoying glitch, though. There is a certain sidequest early on that requires you to destroy 10 crates. Every time I selected that quest as my active one and exited the menu my PS3 would completely freeze. No sound, no movement on the screen, no pausing, no XMB. I tried it at 3 different points and it froze every time.

Other than that I am loving what I've seen so far. The writing and voice acting is much better than I expected it to be and the lore seems fairly approachable given how well they've fleshed it out. As of right now I'm enjoying talking to every character I can (and hearing all of their dialogue) and I haven't found a bad sidequest yet either. Hopefully the density of the content won't get to me at a later point but as of right now I'm finding it all to be wonderful.

As far as combat goes I'm playing a warrior-mage who specializes in longswords and staves. It's a very unique and refreshing combination that most games probably wouldn't allow for, and I'm having a blast with it.

I also really love how leveling works. Obviously all of the details have been known for quite some time but actually being in the game and doing it gives me another level of appreciation for the systems that Curt and the guys have built. Whenever I level up (which admittedly has only been 3 times so far) I truly feel like I have some important and meaningful choices to make, which is something that isn't nearly as prevalent in most RPG's.

If I didn't have to wake up early for work I could have probably played for at least another 10 hours before wanting to quit.

If I didn't have to wake up early for work I could have probably played for at least another 10 hours before wanting to quit.

Right there with you.

The combat is so good. The sticky frame pause on hit, the sound effect, when you land a hit it feels like you actually hit. The funky way the camera pans out to attempt to give you a battlefield view. Those little details add up. This is maybe the most fun combat in an action RPG I've played.

Bring on the higher difficulty DLC. If there is one thing I hope for with the support for Reckoning, it's that.

Apeboy

THey'd prefer it was in our forums but the sheer volume of players here and the stuff being posted

I've got an account there just to check the devtracker. In house forums are a necessary evil I guess but that is the last place I'd go. Too many drama queens on both sides. Not to say there can't be some over reactions here but the signal to noise ratio on dev/pub forums is one of the reasons GAF has the volume it does.

Volcynika

Stupid question, but just to make sure.

If I block someone's attack with my shield and there's a slowdown after they hit me, I assume I just parried them?

Smokey

Meh...sounds like I should up the difficulty to Hard. I only got about 30 minutes into it yesterday (still in dungeon from demo area).

Meh...sounds like I should up the difficulty to Hard. I only got about 30 minutes into it yesterday (still in dungeon from demo area).
Yeah, I'm playing on hard and it doesn't seem too bad at all. It's challenging enough that you can't play stupid but it hasn't gotten to the point of frustration at all. Actually, in the five hours I've played I think I've only died once, and that was only because of a trap that killed me in one hit. I have used some potions, though.

I think the main reason why the game doesn't feel very difficult is because of how awesome your guy is at combat (not a bad thing). Kingdoms of Amalur gives you the tools to be your own boss.

harrytang

is there a day 1 title update? any mention of an update coming that might fix some of the common complaints as far as camera or balancing issues? i dont want to start this game and get 20 hours deep if a patch coming out later this month.

- LOD
- Pop-in
- Bad art

I can see how someone might complain about the first three but the art style is good IMO. Also, the camera has been good to me so far.

Loxley

It's unfortunate that by the time Amazon emailed me the code for the Fate Touched Weapons pack, I had already leveled passed the point where they were useful :/

frequency

So I hear a lot about the combat in this game. But are the RPG elements any good?
How is the story and setting?
Combat is a pretty secondary thing for me in RPGs.

I watched some streams and the game looked interesting, but it was like all fighting all the time. I would've thought it was just a character action game.

So I hear a lot about the combat in this game. But are the RPG elements any good?

I watched some streams and the game looked interesting, but it was like all fighting all the time. I would've thought it was just a character action game.

I absolutely love the Guild quests but do not expect Mass Effect or Dragon Age type roleplaying here.

Well I've only played the game for 5 hours so you can take this for what it's worth but the game seems incredibly dense in terms of story, lore, and setting so far. In the 5 hours I've played I've probably spent at least 3 just talking to villagers and exploring the first town, and just about all of the ones that you can talk to (of which there are many) have a great deal of dialogue. This is actually something I was concerned about as well, and so far I'm very impressed with how fleshed out the world is.

Then of course there are all of the activities you can do in the villages besides talking to folks. Blacksmithing, alchemy, shopping for items and weapons, etc.

On top of that you have all of the RPG elements related to the combat, and those are quite extensive as well. I'm guessing you weren't really asking about that aspect of the game, though.

I personally don't feel like the "RPG" aspects of the game have been sacrificed in the name of better combat in any way.

I absolutely love the Guild quests but do not expect Mass Effect or Dragon Age type roleplaying here.
Really? I didn't get that impression at all, but maybe it's just because I haven't played the game for long enough. I think this game is right up there with Mass Effect in terms of lore and dialogue trees so far (there might even be more, actually).

Most of the side quests do seem fairly simple though, if that's what you're getting at. Still, of all the ones I've found I was impressed with how much story went into them. It never felt like the quest giver only existed to give me one or two lines of dialogue just to feed me another quest. There are always quite a few topics you can talk to each of them about.

scy

In regards to overleveling, I've done every quest I can find and some areas are grey con to me ... outside of dungeons. The dungeon level caps are a bit higher. Plus, enemy types that are hard are still kind of hard even as a grey con; I still don't like fighting multiple Jottun casters, for instance. And they surprisingly give out a decent amount of EXP still.

As far as the story is concerned, I like it but I'm also not terribly picky. I think it's fairly easy to get into but I guess that's just me. Sidequest content varies but it's down to preference, it seems, if you'd like them; I don't mind the boring ones and the more involved ones are rather nice to find too.

Really? I didn't get that impression at all, but maybe it's just because I haven't played the game for long enough. I think this game is right up there with Mass Effect in terms of lore building and dialogue trees so far (there might even be more, actually).

I must have played a different ME and DA than most people since I distinctly recall a lot of kill and fetch quests from them too. Not much different than KoA's. KoA has a lot more, though. I'm on pace for around 120-ish quests done from just two regions.

Is there anything i can do against this really dark scenario? The game is just dark and i have really hard time to see all the stuff. I have all light options to the maximum.

Kem0sabe

The skill system and the "class" system are some of the best i have seen in an rpg, they give a huge amount of freedom on how you develop your character and prevent rerolling if your not happy with your current build by allowing you to reset your skill points at will (costs gold tho).

The story, in my own opinion and based solely on the first zone (forest), is the weakest part of the game, its generic, confusing, poorly told and reads just like another one of Salvatore´s countless D&D novel´s but without the familiarity associated with the setting. Down to personal taste i guess.

Concerning RPG staples like player impact in the game world, there are some very nice choices between "good" and "evil" quest endings, but overall the game is very linear on how it approaches questing, most quests amount to little more than kill or fetch quests, still some quest lines like the house of ballads one are on par with anything Skyrim has to offer.

Really? I didn't get that impression at all, but maybe it's just because I haven't played the game for long enough. I think this game is right up there with Mass Effect in terms of lore building and dialogue trees so far (there might even be more, actually).

There is no emotional interaction with any character whatsoever.

glaurung

Watched a stream online of the game being played and he explained the store system.

I saw that the first store in the game sells you the inventory upgrade for 7500 gold (IIRC). How many spaces does it add and how much does it cost down the road?

Watched a stream online of the game being played and he explained the store system.

I saw that the first store in the game sells you the inventory upgrade for 7500 gold (IIRC). How many spaces does it add and how much does it cost down the road?

10 spaces but I do not know the answer of the last question.

scy

+10 slots and they're all the same price but modified by your Mercantile skill and their price adjustments to you (yes, some vendors just have inherently better prices than others due to quests done for them).

No. This is about the faces showing no kind of emotion and some male NPC's having mustaches that seem pasted on the character.
Ah, I see. Personally that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me since I just see it as production values. Of course it's nice when more time and effort goes into that kind of thing but I think the writing and voice-acting is far more important. I mean, old-school JRPG's don't have faces with emotion either but that doesn't stop them from being emotionally powerful at times.

Ah, I see. Personally that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me since I just see it as production values. Of course it's nice when more time and effort goes into that kind of thing but I think the writing and voice-acting is far more important. I mean, old-school JRPG's don't have faces with emotion either but that doesn't stop them from being emotionally powerful at times.

I have the same thing but I can understand that some people complain about this. I was merely showing you the reasons.

Carm

So, is there some hidden bonus when wearing 5 pieces of a set? Using Shepard's Armor and putting on the fifth piece makes a sound, but no real indication of some new bonus. Set text only lists up to 4 piece set bonuses.

AwRy108

Played up until gaining my Fate Meter, and can already tell that I'm going to adore this game. Def. taking a vacation day sometime soon so that I can spend the day getting absorbed in this game.

I'm thrilled with how well the game runs on the PS3, much better than I ever expected. The framerate being locked at 30fps makes the who experience so silky smooth and, considering the size of the streaming environments, the pop-up and draw-in is managed rather well.

So happy with this purchase, and so unbelievably excited to play more.

Top Bottom