• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

I-hate-u

I really hope Sony does not give up on Knack as a franchise based on the unjustified harsh scores. It would seem like a series that would improve drastically with a sequel that included more platforming at a budget price.

Bebpo

Banned
At the same time, if there is a knack 2, a bunch of critics will go into it thinking oh god I can't believe they made a sequel to that terrible game and won't give it a fair shot. Kind of a sucky place to be.

Yoday

There's nothing in the download list, and the storage management says the game is taking 36GB (which should be its full size). Yeah I can start the game and play it, but here's what it says in the menu:

304 hours, lol. (I haven't reached ch4).
Highlight the game on the content bar, hit the options button, then select "Information". In there you will see the total size of the the game, and if it is a digital game you will see "Download Status" below that. It will say completed once the game has fully downloaded, but if it hasn't it will update the amount of data that has been downloaded in real time.

Also, I believe the 304 in your screen grab there indicates minutes, not hours.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Highlight the game on the content bar, hit the options button, then select "Information". In there you will see the total size of the the game, and if it is a digital game you will see "Download Status" below that. It will say completed once the game has fully downloaded, but if it hasn't it will update the amount of data that has been downloaded in real time.

Also, I believe the 304 in your screen grab there indicates minutes, not hours.
Thanks, that worked, it says "Download Status 26GB/35GB"
So it's downloading all the time? Why isn't it in the download list? Such weird decisions in this UI.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
At world 5 and Knack's really become my favorite PS4 game. I even like the story. It's simple but it has characters and a plot of adventure and that's more than you can say about a lot of games these days.

At first I was enjoying it but also thinking "I probably wouldn't be particularly excited for a sequel" but now I'd totally play a Knack 2. I hope the probably decent->good sales due to it being a launch game will offset the low review scores and allow a sequel to be greenlit. It's a really nice start for a new Sony action platformer series and with Ratchet on its way out, they could certainly use a new franchise in the genre.

Also I was showing PS4 games to one of my friends and Knack was the only game they really enjoyed out of the launch titles and were impressed by the visual leap from PS3/X360.

Yup, same chapter for me and I'm liking this game a lot more now.
Really like the people in it, and little Knack is so cute.

Yoday

Thanks, that worked, it says "Download Status 26GB/35GB"
So it's downloading all the time? Why isn't it in the download list? Such weird decisions in this UI.
I think the portion that shows up in the download list is just the required part of the game before you can start playing. After that part is downloaded, it just downloads and updates that install of the game in the background. I was a little confused by it at first, but now that I have an understanding of how it works, I quite like it.

Yoday

Reading your opinions, i'm very happy to have booked this game!
It is a great game, and woefully underrated. I have close to fifty people on my friends list at this point, and Knack is probably the most frequently played game on my friends list.

Up to Ch 7 on Very Hard. Haven't used any co-op, special forms, or gadgets. I've been trying not to use super moves too much, but I did use them on a few hard fights.

Knack dies in one hit to almost everything, even basic projectiles. Enemy attack, dodge, and projectile speed is increased by about 50%, could be more. Some formerly slow enemies lunge or fire at you so fast there's almost no openings and you need fast reflexes to react.

You can use the companion app to unlock a bunch of powerful forms and gadgets, or use the co-op feature which makes the entire game pretty easy, or spam super moves. So there are ways out of the challenge if you need them.

You can use the companion app to unlock a bunch of powerful forms and gadgets, or use the co-op feature which makes the entire game pretty easy, or spam super moves. So there are ways out of the challenge if you need them.

If it's confirmed that those unlocks from the iOS app aren't a one-time transfer and can be "re-received" on each new game, my hours spent grinding through it will have been redeemed.

One thing though. Knack should have been a "silent" character. He voice was very off-putting. He would have been a much more charming character with out the deep manly voice.

Haha I actually like Knack's voice and the fact that he's silent in small form. He seems like a confident little dude when he's tiny, but when he's big I'm glad he can talk back and be a little bit snarky.

I love this game and it's a shame it is going to be forgotten by most a year from now....

reson8or

Just finished this on Monday. Reviewers, I feel, have been unjustly harsh on it. I had a fun and found it filled a sweet spot after playing Killzone and Resogun. I especially liked the story, it had a pixar vibe I dug.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Add me to your friends list so I can acquire more gadgets! Psn: Kelegacy

Love the game, on chapter 10.

aly

Kyle Bosman's review on Knack might be the best one yet. Super glad so many people are enjoying it. I think those twitch streams really helped too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I know what game Knack reminds me of!!

MegaMan Legends. They may not play the same, but the story and charm are there.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hah, reading this last page has been pretty revealing. I always said I'd trust the impressions on this one and I will. Picking this over KZ as my first retail game when I get my ps4 next week.
Have to say it didn't look that great to me on streams, but it's probably more fun to play than watch.

The supposed high difficulty is a big selling point.

Timu

iI9RXLvQexUuT.gif

Quite a bit of enemies kill you in one hit in this game...I recorded this BTW.

Up to Ch 7 on Very Hard. Haven't used any co-op, special forms, or gadgets. I've been trying not to use super moves too much, but I did use them on a few hard fights.

Knack dies in one hit to almost everything, even basic projectiles. Enemy attack, dodge, and projectile speed is increased by about 50%, could be more. Some formerly slow enemies lunge or fire at you so fast there's almost no openings and you need fast reflexes to react.

So then is knack posing any challenge to you now?

I know you didn't consider it hard previously in this thread

rav

Yeah, later on in Hard dodge becomes your friend. (Also there's a dodge attack... or Dash attack as they call it in the trophies. I still haven't gotten that one)

I started dash attacking near the end of Hard, and it's pretty required in Very Hard so far. (been playing through Contrast and KZ now, but I'll get back to Very Hard soon.)

Yeah, later on in Hard dodge becomes your friend. (Also there's a dodge attack... or Dash attack as they call it in the trophies. I still haven't gotten that one)

I started dash attacking near the end of Hard, and it's pretty required in Very Hard so far. (been playing through Contrast and KZ now, but I'll get back to Very Hard soon.)

yeah dashing is important even on normal, might as well make it a dash attack

PBY

Banned
So love hate with this game.

Hate everything outside the combat loop- but I'm so hooked on that .

On hard, the best piece of advice I have: Fuck dodging/waiting around. Go in for the strike first. Kill archers/ranged dudes first.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The more I play this game the more ridiculous the low scores become. Knack, you are truly the hero we deserve.
im3rLSJgO0SyJ.png

How to get high score in the Knack mobile game?
And how could I get good stuff from my friend...
Anyone here could help? :D

Grimløck;90665253 said:
How do you gift/receive items?

If you have people on your friends list that play Knack, whenever you open a chest you'll get a chance to choose between whatever random item it gives you or one of the items that your friends picked up when they opened the chest on their playthrough. That's how you 'gift' items as I understand it.

As for the iOS game, there's a thread here for the app-- sorry I can't find it right now I'm on mobile-- search for 'Knack's Quest'. Some good advice there on getting chains and getting a high score to keep unlocking items.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If you have people on your friends list that play Knack, whenever you open a chest you'll get a chance to choose between whatever random item it gives you or one of the items that your friends picked up when they opened the chest on their playthrough. That's how you 'gift' items as I understand it.

That's what that is!?!
Oh man... all this time...

I think I'll echo the unexpected positive sentiments for this game.

When I first played the first two hours of the game I didn't like it. I figured it was a "baby" game, looked great, but the gameplay was boring, bland, and weak. My plan was to beat it right away so I could trade it in asap and get the highest value possible.

But the thing was, as I started playing it, I started to enjoy myself. It reminds of a 2d side scrolling platformer. You have one direction to go, a certain number of enemies to beat and eventually you get to the end of the level. Your skills are limited but as you play you do unlock a few more.

I think I went in with the wrong attitude and expected something else, say like a Rachet and Clank game, but that's not what this is. No open world, but a satisfying story with fun gameplay that's easy to get into. Occasionally challenging, but not frustrating like Dark Souls. It's a fun game, looks great, and so far has gotten the most play out of any of my PS4 games (which include Resogun, BF4, and Knack). Not deserving of anything lower than a 7 imo.

That's what that is!?!
Oh man... all this time...

Unless there are other means of gifting that I just don't know about, I guess so. To be fair, it is nice to have a number of choices of what to pick up when you open a chest, especially if you're looking to unlock those gadgets fast as opposed to crystal relics.

rav

How to get high score in the Knack mobile game?
And how could I get good stuff from my friend...
Anyone here could help? :D

Keeping up a big combo, my highscore is around 1.6 million points.
If you use one of the three crystals Just tap instead of swipe. It'll pause the timer until you pick which one block to destroy. Swipe will also pause the timer until you pick. So if you're on a combo streak but you don't see any more to hit right away, you can either tap on the crystal to find more triplets, or use all three crystals to take out the most prevalent type of object in the field.

I was at GameStop standing there for about 10 minutes going over whether to get Knack, Battlefield 4, Killzone, Need for Speed or NBA2K14 ( no games at launch? Ha ). Finally landed on Knack.

Took it home, popped the disc in, Start appeared within 10 seconds and I have not regretted my purchase a sliver since. Wow. My god has the internet been poor to Ps4 games. I have watched every single high bitrate capture out there for Killzone, Knack, Res0gun, etc and everytime when I see them on my own TV I am completely blown away. Looks TONS better then I expected.

I picked it up due to the livestreams I have watched that looked fun and the impressions in here. Did not expect to be blown away by not only the graphics but the incredible sound too.

The game is plain fun. I am immediately playing on hard and love how each new area is basically it's own puzzle. How to pass without dying. The game seems to test you early in the level or get you acquainted with the enemy types and then begins to mix them up in carefully placed scenarios to maximize potential of death. Great fun.

Kurod

Banned
Quick tip that made combat loads easier for me. While you can't dash more than once in any direction you can immediately dash back in the opposite direction you just dashed from. This helps to get back in to attack after immediately dodging an enemy strike. Also, dash attacks are stronger than normal attacks which are stronger than his "homing attack".

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just finished chapter 3. The reviews are way off, in my opinion. Really enjoying the game. Playing on hard, which is actually hard at times.

Some of these areas are damn boring.

Game has such a weird balance between genuinely challenging combat on Hard and arbitrary, downright toddler-level platforming. This feels like a super-polished rough draft.

HORRORSHØW

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

The more I play this game the more ridiculous the low scores become. Knack, you are truly the hero we deserve.
im3rLSJgO0SyJ.png

Just finished chapter 3. The reviews are way off, in my opinion. Really enjoying the game. Playing on hard, which is actually hard at times.
Agreed. Some of the reviews for this game are downright criminal.

zeopower6

I wonder just why some reviews were so horrible... =_= Like I get that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of the scores were way below any other releases in recent memory... basically ranking with 'garbage'.

Remf

Just started chapter 6 and I'm loving it. It's challenging, especially when you die and have to start the section over, but it makes it more rewarding when you finally get passed it. 7.5 - 8 IMHO so either some of the reviewers didn't get a lot of time to "get to know it" or their smoking crack. take your pick

Also, the graphics in this game is top notch, nice details everywhere.

Zornack

I'm also enjoying this game way more than I expected. It's simple and I wish there was more platforming but the combat is fun and rewarding. Some of the reviews painted it as bad and boring which it isn't, at least for me.

Be interesting to read years later what the fuck happened with the knack reviews.

I'm guessing time restraints. Let's be honest, this game would not be fun to marathon straight through, and it sounds like the majority of outlets didn't have consoles until a few days before release.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wonder just why some reviews were so horrible... =_= Like I get that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but some of the scores were way below any other releases in recent memory... basically ranking with 'garbage'.

It's really odd. Even if you don't like the game, you can still recognize how solid it is on a fundamental level. 3/10 is Ride to Hell: Retribution territory. That's a joke.

Top Bottom