• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Unless there are other means of gifting that I just don't know about, I guess so. To be fair, it is nice to have a number of choices of what to pick up when you open a chest, especially if you're looking to unlock those gadgets fast as opposed to crystal relics.

I just had no idea you could choose!
I thought it was just showing me what my friends picked up in that area.

dengatron

After growing impatient for a friend to come over and play with me, I threw Knack in today for the first time. I have no clue why this game got shit on in reviews. It plays well, it looks great, and it's a good fun classic style game. All the reviews kept harping on the fact that it had one attack button. Why does that even matter? It's not street fighter.. I enjoy it, and if you're letting reviews influence your decision to play the game.. don't. Rent it if you must, but at least play it. Really had fun with the first 7 chapters today.

graywolf323

Unless there are other means of gifting that I just don't know about, I guess so. To be fair, it is nice to have a number of choices of what to pick up when you open a chest, especially if you're looking to unlock those gadgets fast as opposed to crystal relics.

oddly the game only ever presented me a choice the first chest I opened

though I guess there's a chance I played through the entire game before anyone else on my friends list

fizzgigg

Banned
I'm on chapter 10 about 3/4ths done and I have to say playing it on hard it's Givin me a challenge and I enjoy the game actually. I would give it a hard earned 7/10. I do wish they would continue the series. Maybe Knack: the lost world or something would be a better success. Don't give up cerny.

Snaku

Banned
I promised my gf I'd only play this when she's here so she can play co-op with me, so I'm slowly making progress through the game. Really am enjoying it so far on Hard, and the reviewers for the most part need to extract the bug from their asses.

That's it, I'm getting this. Gonna play it on hard, and make Cerny proud. You guys have been giving some solid impressions. I'd also like to determine what the low review scores were for, and if it can somehow be rationalized.

drproton

I think the game would get better reviews if the combat were one of many instead of the sole mechanic in the game. As it is, it's a little basic for being the main focus. Though I don't think that's enough for it to have a 55 on Metacritic or whatever.

They made a game with limited scope as what in all honesty was a side-project for Cerny vs leading the PS4 hardware project. I think there's something to respect in getting a few things very right rather than adding mechanics that would lead to longer dev time impossible for a launch game. Maybe it would have gotten a different reception if it were a budget game like Puppeteer.

I'm not sure I'd request a sequel, but if there were one I'd definitely buy it. And hopefully it would add a little more variety to the gameplay, like giving the player choices as to when to grow larger or smaller; because as it is, the size doesn't have much consequence.

So then is knack posing any challenge to you now?

I know you didn't consider it hard previously in this thread
Very Hard is challenging enough. I'm speeding through most of it but there are still a few ridiculous encounters I gave up and used a super move on. Up to ch 10 and 7 hours played. I unlocked some gadgets but unequipped them. Very Hard is still repetitive, but the greatly increased difficulty makes it more interesting.

I might also like the time trials and arena but haven't dug into those yet. I'm still thinking about 6/10. Despite being quite difficult it still feels like a shallow version of God of War, which itself isn't a very in depth action game.

oddly the game only ever presented me a choice the first chest I opened

though I guess there's a chance I played through the entire game before anyone else on my friends list

Your friends also have to have opened that chest as well (and picked up something different than what is presented to you, I'd imagine). I know one of my friends started playing it before me and was far ahead of me in terms of chapters, but the only chests I came upon that he had opened (i.e. gave me a choice) were the more obvious "secret" areas. He tends to speedrun through stuff though so I wasn't surprised. I've added two GAFers that seem to be ahead of me as well, so I'll see if I start hitting chests with multiple options in terms of gifts.

I haven't played a ton so far, but I'm liking what I've played a lot. Didn't hurt that I knew what I was getting in to when I bought it. I feel like a lot of reviewers are missing the point of this title because they have a preconceived notion of what a game like this should be. Kind of like how Demon's Souls came out, they were taken aback by how methodical that game was. This shares that sole trait. And of course when Demon's Souls was new they didn't much care for that either.

cornerman

A friend and I were wondering if we were oddballs in thinking this game was solid (which we're fine with). Its not revolutionary, but its a solid little game. He's playing it nightly with his four year old son, and its favorite game right now.

I figured a lot of the reviewers didn't get a chance to see the social side of the game, wherein you can choose items your friends have found. Likely due to time constraints, and not having 'friends' this early in the cycle, its possible some just wrote the game off after rushing through it at 4am. I'm playing it on Hard and its given the game a nice challenge. The story isn't going to win any awards, but its straight forward, and gets you from A to B. No lie, if they made a sequel I'd pick it up...but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

If you must have a score, i'd give it a 7/7.5. Anything below a 5 seems ridiculous to me, personally (to each his/her own of course). 6 on the very low end, 7.5 on the high end for me.

sith ewok

I just had no idea you could choose!
I thought it was just showing me what my friends picked up in that area.

I thought the exact same thing. Didn't realize until chapter 10 that you could move and highlight your friends' items. Felt really dumb. lol.

Made it to chapter 11 this morning. I figure I'll finish it tomorrow morning (playing on normal), but I definitely see myself playing through it again. I'm really loving this game - just don't understand the poor reviews at all.

kurbaan

Banned
Finally got back to this game today ignoring Killzone MP. Got to Chapter 5 ish. Game is ok still but everything it does is so uninspired and by the books. Like everything that happens is so predictable I know what each section is going to be like again and again.

Then there are the characters and story completely devoid of any charm. I dont even understand why the story tries to be so serious. "THIS IS THE NEXT STEP IN HUMAN EVOLUTION" wtf lol sounds like some thing out of uncharted when they start looking for mythical artifacts (relics).

Gameplay is still enjoyable but man this game makes it hard to wanna come back to it.

jwk94

Very Hard is challenging enough. I'm speeding through most of it but there are still a few ridiculous encounters I gave up and used a super move on. Up to ch 10 and 7 hours on the save timer. I unlocked some gadgets but unequipped them. Very Hard is still repetitive, but the greatly increased difficulty makes it more interesting.

I might also like the time trials and arena but haven't dug into those yet. I'm still thinking about 6/10. Despite being quite difficult it still feels like a shallow version of God of War.

The what now?

Billen

Banned
I watched a video of a guy playing this on Twitch yesterday, and he ran it on Very Hard I think. It looked extremely enjoyable, and frustrating. This game seems to earn loads on being played at a harder level, and looks a bit on the dull side when played on normal.

johnyqd

I understand why Knack reviewed poorly - but that hasn't stopped me from having a great time with the game. When I gauge Knack as an overall package it is hard not to knock it significantly for quite a few things:

• Story and characters. They are bad. They don't have the universal appeal that a successful G-rated feature needs.
  • Repetitive and simplistic game play.
  • Knack's voice. Personal issue here - I hate it. He just sounds like some dude.

After spending a bit of time with the game though I realized that there is a rhythmic quality to the gameplay that is impressive. Note that I'm playing on hard difficulty and Knack normally dies in 1 or 2 hits. Each section (between save points) can almost be played and replayed (as you inevitably die) using a set pattern. Double jump, side dash, punch, dash punch, jump punch, back dash, run forward, punch, punch, punch. Make one mistake in the series and you die and must start again. It feels like PaRappa the Rapper minus the charm.

If I were forced to write a critical review for this game it would fall in the 6 - 6.5 range because that is what it merits as a complete package. As a gamer I have no problem ignoring the plot and just getting into a groove with the game - and Knack hits a sweet spot with me - much closer to an 8.

playing this on hard is pretty rewarding. i think it's tough but if you learn and adapt you can find a winning strategy for the waves pretty quick. i'm also digging the items with friends stuff, if you find a hidden item and don't like it you can see what others on your friends list got there instead and pick that. i'm like 1 or 2 pieces away from getting the hidden item detector, i really just want it so i can stop compulsively punching every corner of the levels hoping to find a hidden space.

also watching the giant bomb quick look now, they made normal look much much more difficult than what i've been dealing with on hard. Just kinda running in and mashing.

sith ewok

So the consensus here is that it's better than the reviewers are saying?

Much better, imo. This is my favorite of the PS4 games I've played so far.

If anyone wants to add me on psn, tag is sithewok. I'll be finishing the game this morning and I *think* I've opened most of the chests, so there'll be more choice for you when you get to a chest. (most of my friends are only on xbox live, so my psn account is a ghost town. ha.)

Got the game Tuesday, and have already sunk 9 hrs into it. Praise be to the Cerny gods this game has got it.

Edit: Annnnnd I just realized what the "sharing" items thing is all about. Add me fellow Knackers!

PSN: Samunoske

Giggzy

Wow, I can't say I agree with the reviews at all. I've been holding off playing Knack since launch because my girlfriend is excited to play it and wanted me to wait for her. Our schedules have been opposite of each other lately so she hasn't had the time to come over. Me being the impatient person that I am decided enough was enough, so I started a play through on hard last night. My progress has been slow due to the difficulty, but my first impressions have been fantastic. This game is pulling me in like demon souls originally did. Maybe it gets repetitive later, I'm not sure, but I'm enjoying the story and the gameplay a lot. On the surface it seems simple, but it's far from that. Attacks are limited, but there are delays for everything. You dodge and there's a short momentum delay before you can dodge again. Timing needs to be impeccable when you're dealing with melee and ranged, projectile based enemies.

I really hope the enjoyment lasts throughout the game. I have a feeling it will.

Ocaso

So, did anyone get that link with the ios app to work. Although at one point the app said the items were sent to the PS4, they don't show up in my inventory while playing.

Snookie

My 6 and 4yr olds really like this game. I have them playing on easy. I've been playing on normal and i'm enjoying it. I even downloaded the iOS app to get some of the items. I dont think this deserves the ratings its been getting but I guess I understand why people dont like it. I think if this game was released 15 years ago it would've been reviewed better.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So, did anyone get that link with the ios app to work. Although at one point the app said the items were sent to the PS4, they don't show up in my inventory while playing.

You have the Knack on PS3 updated right?
When you press options, there should be a receive items option I think.

Ocaso

You have the Knack on PS3 updated right?
When you press options, there should be a receive items option I think.

Ah, I believe I do not. I'd have to quit Knack then restart for any patch to install, right? Let me try it and see.

Edit: Yeah, it worked now. Thanks!

This game works awesome via remote play because there's no use for the triggers. Last night I played some coop with my wife using my vita as the second controller - worked awesome!

Need some fellow Knackers on my friend's list so I can get more gadgets PSN Das_Mookid. I'm almost finished the game and have been secret hunting constantly (two complete gadgets, loads more close) so hopefully you can benefit too.

Mairu

You have to go to 'Receive Item' in the options in game in Knack

Gaston

I have some concerns/questions about this game.

1. I am replaying the game and always get crappy crystals. I am at like 26/15 Ruby Crystals and can't get anything I don't own. Can't really avoid this, but it seems stupid and pointless.

2. If I start a new game, say on Very Hard, will I carry my gadgets over?

3. If no for the previous, if I play all of the missions on very hard, will I get the achievement regardless?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Game kinda felt like it dragged in places and fell back on a routine of corridor -> arena -> corridor -> arena with a rather limited set of enemies mix-and-matched in a lot of places, but that final chapter is pretty fantastic.
It had a way wider variety of enemies and a pretty nice platforming section, and it made the best use of the whole sense of scale the game had going when Knack changes size, what with you starting out dwarfed by the big brown guardian dudes, then eventually getting as big as them, then meeting the even bigger purple dudes, then getting so big that even they look teeny-tiny and you can smash groups of them with a single punch, and then finally meeting the last boss and having him shrink you down to a mini-Knack again.

Total missed opportunity
calling chapter 13-4 The Final Guardian though. Change one word and Sony could've totally claimed with a straight face that people could play The Last Guardian at the launch of the PS4.

Also gotta say the Doc honked me off a bit at
the beginning of chapter 12 when he gets the message from his estranged maybe-wife and gets all motivated then is all "Okay Knack, now that I've got my second wind you go ahead and do all the hard stuff while I follow you around uselessly like I always do boy ain't it great that I didn't plummet to my death what would you do without me, no worries I will totally take care of these two confused goblins no need to thank me all in a day's work oh hey Knack save the world again I believe in you yay we all get medals."

Like,
Gundahar
is a dick and all, but he sorta talks some sense. Knack, you're getting a bit exploited there, buddy.

Fuck this last boss. Horrible! I think the game is fine but man some of those 1 hit deaths are annoying and the dodge move sucks. I'll try to beat this boss later as I'm pretty annoyed with it at the moment.

edit: Beat him. Nice last stage but awful boss. Very decent game.

Top Bottom