• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I have some concerns/questions about this game.

1. I am replaying the game and always get crappy crystals. I am at like 26/15 Ruby Crystals and can't get anything I don't own. Can't really avoid this, but it seems stupid and pointless.

2. If I start a new game, say on Very Hard, will I carry my gadgets over?

3. If no for the previous, if I play all of the missions on very hard, will I get the achievement regardless?
Why can this be a thing? =/

Beat it last night. Last chapter was pretty damn awesome. Boss was tough bordering on annoying. I finally beat it by using a super move to avoid his attacks.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and I see how much potential it has. It could be a game series on par with something like God of War if they do it right. I would have loved a battle like the ones in God of War with the Titans where you are climbing around them and attacking, except they should make it that as Knack is climbing around and fighting when he damages the boss he gains relics and grows in size to match the boss. Would be totally awesome. So much cool stuff they could do with the game makes me super excited for a sequel.

Anyway, maybe I was missing something, but I only completed two of the secret items in the entire play through. I don't think i missed a crap load of chests, but I know I missed a handful. I guess you're meant to replay to collect them?

Pandacon

I beat this last night, like a few others here. Last boss was annoying, but as soon as I beat him I realized how easy he is. Watched a few youtube videos of people fighting him (after I beat him), always interesting seeing how other people do it.

I really enjoyed this game, I thought it was great fun to play. Truely don't understand the low scores.

I'll probably play it some more with my friend in co-op, I figured it would be easier once I have access to New Game+ and can carry over my items. I was able to get all the items except for the Secret Doors item, though I only unlocked the Brittle Knack form. Helps if you have people on your friends list playing the game.

8/10

Fuck this last boss. Horrible! I think the game is fine but man some of those 1 hit deaths are annoying and the dodge move sucks. I'll try to beat this boss later as I'm pretty annoyed with it at the moment.

edit: Beat him. Nice last stage but awful boss. Very decent game.

The last boss was my favorite fight :(

A good challenge

The last boss was my favorite fight :(

A good challenge

The problem I had was that it was very hard to dodge his attack that he did when you were in tiny form. I could successfully get through the first wave of it, but I kept dying on the second. Eventually I just used the tornado move to make myself immune and move forward and got past it and after that it was easy. Luckily I had one special move charge left.

Finally beat the game. It's a pretty damn good challenge on Hard. The bosses on Hard are right up there with the Souls games if not worse in terms of difficulty. I did benefit from a crazy glitch during the first form of the last boss, though. He somehow managed to push me over the side and I spawned in the next area and then I just ran up to the final battle.

I thought the game was really good overall, maybe an 8/10. I don't know how the hell reviewers are giving in scores like 1/10 or 4/10. I guess it's too "old school" for some.

The graphics are really nice outside of some frame rate issues. Obelisk Mountain looked insane with the lava and black, craggy rock.

And was it just me or is every character in the game kind of a dick? Doctor is the worst, and even Knack pulls some asshole moves.

I was having issues with the final boss till I realized as long as your only moving left and right and not diagnol or forward, it was much easier and almost always resulted in a succesful dodge. Those bad guys he throws in the way at the end stressed me out at first but then I realized I could simple get him to destory them, made the battle much more do-able.

The dodge move is completely worthless. It's always better to jump out of the way of stuff.

Really? I can't speak for the last boss since I haven't fought against it yet but dodge is by far (for me) the better way to handle most enemies that aren't using AoE attacks. Obviously timing is key, but dodge is certainly not a worthless mechanic. This is especially true for using it to dodge backwards once you've gotten a hit on an enemy; A great way to get out of the way of a counter attack.

1. I am replaying the game and always get crappy crystals. I am at like 26/15 Ruby Crystals and can't get anything I don't own. Can't really avoid this, but it seems stupid and pointless.

2. If I start a new game, say on Very Hard, will I carry my gadgets over?

3. If no for the previous, if I play all of the missions on very hard, will I get the achievement regardless?

1. The 26/15 thing is pretty lame. The only workaround to "replacing" a drop you don't want (and obviously if the items available via your friends are undesirable) that I've found is this:

• Open the chest in question normally. If you don't want the random drop, do not
    press any button because it'll autosave. Instead, exit out of the game via the PS
    button.
  • Shut down Knack (Knack -> Option button -> Close Application)
  • Restart the game and Continue. You will start the stage over (so it's better for
    chests closer to the beginning) and any chests that you previously opened will stay
    that way, but the chest you "exited" out from will be closed again and a new
    random item will be given. This seems to be the way a number of people are
    farming diamonds due to their rarity.

2. When you start a new game, your gadgets do not carry over. I don't know if the gadgets/crystals you've unlocked via the Knack's Quest iOS app can be retrieved multiple times, but if they can that could be a way to at least start a new game with some advantage.

3. Yes? I imagine if you played through all the missions on Very Hard that you will get the trophy for that accomplishment.

Gaston

1. The 26/15 thing is pretty lame. The only workaround to "replacing" a drop you don't want (and obviously if the items available via your friends are undesirable) that I've found is this:

• Open the chest in question normally. If you don't want the random drop, do not
    press any button because it'll autosave. Instead, exit out of the game via the PS
    button.
  • Shut down Knack (Knack -> Option button -> Close Application)
  • Restart the game and Continue. You will start the stage over (so it's better for
    chests closer to the beginning) and any chests that you previously opened will stay
    that way, but the chest you "exited" out from will be closed again and a new
    random item will be given. This seems to be the way a number of people are
    farming diamonds due to their rarity.

This is actually very very helpful. I certainly will give it a try next time I get another ruby crystal. Thanks for the advice!

SuperPac

I was having issues with the final boss till I realized
as long as your only moving left and right and not diagnol or forward, it was much easier and almost always resulted in a succesful dodge. Those bad guys he throws in the way at the end stressed me out at first but then I realized I could simple get him to destory them, made the battle much more do-able.

Yeah I really didn't like the final boss (and still don't) but eventually realized the things you mention and made quick enough work of him. My game froze during the end credits so I had to re-battle him again. :\ The ending levels were pretty great looking, but by the end the story had long worn out its welcome and I was ready to be done with it. Would like to see a sequel that expands on things more but who knows if that's in the cards.

I would have loved a battle like the ones in God of War with the Titans where you are climbing around them and attacking, except they should make it that as Knack is climbing around and fighting when he damages the boss he gains relics and grows in size to match the boss. Would be totally awesome.
That's such a cool idea

Derrick01

Banned
I'm on 7-4 now, the last 2 chapters have been pretty cool. The engine is kind of struggling on this chapter though. When I blow up a few buildings and take out a tank and some enemies at the same time, say with a shockwave at the same time, the game is basically screaming "staaahp" at me as the fps tanks to what looks like the teens for a few seconds.

I'm still enjoying myself though. These gadget items are randomized in the chests correct? I keep getting close to completing one and the next item is always in a set where I have 4/7 or 1/4 still, so I basically only need a part or two for all 8 gadgets right now.

PBY

Banned
Wooooooof

This game goes downhill real fast.

Just got to 8-4. 7 was a framey mess and its all just the same now.

So, I beat the game on normal. If I start a new save on hard it'll be like completely starting over? To get the trophy and make the items I have to play my normal save which I can't change to hard? That seems kinda stupid and pointless.. When I started on normal I thought my collected items would carry to hard. -_- My only real problem with this game would be the low fps when moving... it was noticeable to me and I'm even one of those people who can't tell fps in most games. 7.5 for me atleast.

jwk94

As awesome as the final boss is, he's hard as hell to be. I'm having trouble beating him with my roommate.

And I have all knacks except diamond knack. Anyone else want to add me go ahead.

Jackker. Preferably if you are rocking diamonds.

Just added you on PSN. I'll mooch off of some of your parts =P Thanks!

Grinchy

Banned
I started up the game last night on Hard and didn't have a whole lot of fun with it. I'll try again soon but I actually expected to like it a little more than I did.

DC1

Sure. I play on my iPad and it's wifi only so I'll often play on the bus where I'm offline and then just connect it to PSN when I get home. No problems.
Have you had succes in winning a diamond through Knacks Quest? And if so' at/around what level did it reveal it self ( for examples was it at next chest requirement level 150,000 or 500,000)?

Yuterald

Finished last night on Hard. Enjoyed my time with it. Will be playing off and on until I Plat it, I guess. The unlocked Time Attack mode seems fun, but my heart skipped a beat because I expected Crash Bandicoot style Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum Relic (Ankh)-medal tiers, but it's just got some general 5-Star ranking system. For some reason I expected each stage in the game to have a time attack! Oh well.

Oh, looking to add some more people to my friends list. Want to get the combo meter gadget ASAP on my Very Hard run/save. Here's my account name: Gazel_Ministry.

blacksark

I have some questions to ask you about this game, the first is can you get trophies on two accounts when playing co-op? Or only the first player earns them? Other question is it easy to get knack diamonds by playing knack quest? And the last one is which are the bad things of this game other than frame rate issues?

I beat the story and selected chatper 3-5 from chapter select, then killed the boss without taking damage but I didn't get the Total Victory trophy. Does it have to be through a normal playthrough, or can it be from Chapter Select?

Also can you gain missing gadget parts from chapter select or do you have to do it on a full playthrough?

Edit: Did it a second time using exactly the same method and it popped. Weird.

Is there a guide containing locations of all the gadget parts? I missed a few, and I want to make sure I don't miss them again on another playthrough

Derrick01

Banned
Is there a guide containing locations of all the gadget parts? I missed a few, and I want to make sure I don't miss them again on another playthrough

The chests are random so you'll probably finish off all the gadgets on the next run. The annoying thing are the crystals because apparently they keep spawning even after you collect what you need.

Have you had succes in winning a diamond through Knacks Quest? And if so' at/around what level did it reveal it self ( for examples was it at next chest requirement level 150,000 or 500,000)?

My next chest item is at 590,000 and I haven't seen a diamond yet though I'd say half of my emeralds have come from the app. I haven't even picked up a diamond in-game either and I just started chapter 12 :(

I played some Knack's Quest earlier. I got over 2 million points in a single run of Endless, so you can definitely get a lot of stuff. Sadly, all I got were Aqua, Amethyst, crystal, and Sunstone relics.

If people are farming crystals, shoudl we all add each other as friends on PSN? If your friends are playing too, when you open a chest that your friend opened you can choose their item if you prefer it over yours. If we all had like 5-10 friends farming crystals, it should be easy to get the ones we want.

I played some Knack's Quest earlier. I got over 2 million points in a single run of Endless, so you can definitely get a lot of stuff. Sadly, all I got were Aqua, Amethyst, crystal, and Sunstone relics.

If people are farming crystals, shoudl we all add each other as friends on PSN? If your friends are playing too, when you open a chest that your friend opened you can choose their item if you prefer it over yours. If we all had like 5-10 friends farming crystals, it should be easy to get the ones we want.

So now that we're friends what exactly do we do? I'm still not clear how this process works . . .

Derrick01

Banned
Oh come on, last boss is easy mode Derrick, you're doing it wrong if not.

I must have been because that wasn't easy at all, mostly due to the parts where he
knocks you out of your big form
. I was playing on Hard too so basically just about everything was a 1 or 2 shot. I did beat him about 10 minutes ago though.

For the most part I enjoyed myself, more than I thought I would. I really hope now that the PS4 is out Cerny gets a shot at a Knack 2 where he can put 100% of his focus on the game. I really think if they keep the same ideas and difficulty as this game but greatly expand on the mechanics and gameplay variety it will be a truly great game.

So now that we're friends what exactly do we do? I'm still not clear how this process works . . .

When you open a chest, you'll see your item pop. On the right you'll see your name, and sometimes you'll see your friends' names too. If you see yoru freind's name, and if you want his item instead of yours, move the cursor over there and select his item.

It seems a little sketchy right now, I'm not sure why it doesn't always show you the friend's name. But it does work sometimes.

KORNdoggy

After much cynicism, i just bought as my 6th game. a combination of GAF's thoughts about the game and how wrong reviews where, and the fact i managed to score it for £26...it might not be to my liking, but at that price i'd be able to sell it on for more anyway. So, win/ win. Hope it's as good as some of you have said.

Does this seriously only save at the beginning of chapters? I'll get a few "death checkpoints" into a chapter, quit and start the game later only to find it puts me back at the start of the chapter.

HORRORSHØW

Does this seriously only save at the beginning of chapters? I'll get a few "death checkpoints" into a chapter, quit and start the game later only to find it puts me back at the start of the chapter.
Yeah, I think it only saves after every (sub)chapter, eg., 8-1,8-2,8-3, etc. It's irksome, to say the least. Killzone's saves function the same way, IIRC.

Just beat the game on normal. I had a good time! Reviews are totally wrong Imo.

Time for new game plus!

If you are at all interested in cleaning up some missing trophies, collectible-related ones in particular, don't jump into a new game just yet! Do another playthrough (or two) to collect all the gadgets (if you still have some incomplete) and especially crystals. Add some of the GAFers here to make collecting easier. I'm on my second playthrough (Continue) trying to collect the remaining crystals, diamonds in particular.

Yeah, I would just say that when you sit down to play, plan on playing through until the next chapter at least (until we get a true suspend mode added in). On the other hand, you can use the chapter restart to your advantage if you are going for trophies like the Combo Professional (esp on 1-2).

Top Bottom