• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
tumblr_nc4qyuUQwN1qk32lpo2_1280.png
i mean this is stupid because it's satsuki with ryuko's hair but i kinda want it now even tho i don't play fiora

that artist has really cool designs, i really like their lux

drawkcaB

Holy shit, BotRK lifesteal's off the %current health damage now! I didn't catch that (didn't have time to read the patch notes until now). New Black Cleaver, BotRK buffs...

<---------- Man-Mode Activated

This paired with the %health from Cinderhulk is a way bigger issue that Cinderhulk's burn damage. 53 damage at level 18 which takes ~5+ secs to ramp up isn't that crazy after resists. That's not what you're dying to.

The next thing hit will be the %bonus health. Riot will finally hit the mark on what needed to be changed but won't adjust either the flat health or damage, as is their usual way of doing things.
I don't think Riot should nerf the tankiness of tanks. I mean that's their job, that's what they should do well, they're meant to be brick walls and that's ok. The problem is when those brick walls are filled with spikes and not only I can't kill them I'll likely die trying even though I'm a glass cannon.

I think it's time Thornmail went poof

Jeff-DSA

I don't think Riot should nerf the tankiness of tanks. I mean that's their job, that's what they should do well, they're meant to be brick walls and that's ok. The problem is when those brick walls are filled with spikes and not only I can't kill them I'll likely die trying even though I'm a glass cannon.

Yeah, there's no counterplay to a high damage/high CC tank. It's really not even mildly fun once you get to the late game against them. And even if you get out of range of their AA, someone like Garen just has an outright execute ability...so fun!

Thornmail is such a bad item. If tanks are going to rule the day, you can't punish people for hitting them.

cHinzo

Yeah, there's no counterplay to a high damage/high CC tank. It's really not even mildly fun once you get to the late game against them. And even if you get out of range of their AA, someone like Garen just has an outright execute ability...so fun!

Garen doesn't even have a decent gapcloser, his execute does magic damage and has 400 range. :d
His passive combined with something like Warmogs and Spirit Visage is funny though, but imo not really a champ who is problematic.

Jeff-DSA

Garen doesn't even have a decent gapcloser, his execute does magic damage and has 400 range. :d
His passive combined with something like Warmogs and Spirit Visage is funny though, but imo not really a champ who is problematic.

It's not fun to play against. You can't kill him and he will eventually get to you because there's so much CC in the game right now (supports, mages with slows/stuns, Righteous Glory, junglers with insane mobility, etc.). He will get on top of you with his Q and the team's CC and then never die. I just singled him out due to the whole execute mechanic, which is garbage for a tank, but he's just one of the many super unfun champs to play against right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Girl you're better than that

lol you don't provoke the zkylewd

you better learn dat

probably true, thornmail had a place when tanks were unable to deal the damage they need to but with gromp buff, sunfire on junglers and all the health scaling and crap it's probably not that needed anymore

maybe not in the current state of its passive, i do think a 100 armor item is cool for the game

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah I like the tank meta but I can't stand gromp + thornmail.
So wait...Vi's 2 main items were Black Cleaver+Trinity. Now that BC gives a similar passive to trinity, is Trinity still worth building on her?

I only did a couple games with her but Warrior-Cleaver into full tank felt really strong. Spellblade was nice but the armor shred is just too good to pass up.

Tizoc

So wait...Vi's 2 main items were Black Cleaver+Trinity. Now that BC gives a similar passive to trinity, is Trinity still worth building on her?

V_Arnold

Black Cleaver alone will be enough, if you are feeling fed, then use a sheen too, but not further than that. Rest of the items are usual tanky stuff.

Jeff-DSA

Trinity is pretty core on Vi though. She benefits a lot from all those stats and passives. I see most people go Trinity into tank. Dnno where the new BC will fit in though.

I could see settling for BC if you're behind and need stats quickly. TF is the standard though, sure.

BC was never core on Vi. It's always been a greedy item and Warrior made it pretty unnecessary. Sheen passive is more important to her than the Phage passive.

No idea about new BC tho. It'll depend wether 40 AD plus the shred is worth losing Spellblade which I doubt it is because if you didn't kill what you were aiming at in 6 hits you failed your job.
Thornmail is such a bad item. If tanks are going to rule the day, you can't punish people for hitting them.
Exactly. Thornmail is the type of item Riot should hate, it doubles down on punishing things you have to do. Your punishment for hitting a tank is having to hit a tank, making not attacking anything a better idea than attacking is stupid.

zkylon

zkylewd
Trinity is pretty core on Vi though. She benefits a lot from all those stats and passives. I see most people go Trinity into tank. Dnno where the new BC will fit in though.
to me trinity force is like a dumb item for a jungler unless they're fed because of how silly expensive it is

it's really good stats but vis i see usually get like warrior into tank or maybe brutalizer since it's so difficult to get that amount of money as a jungler i think. and i always felt brutalizer was kind of awkward since warrior...

i do think that maybe like getting the early phage might be nice? probably like warrior phage tank and finishing black cleaver at some point

i dunno much about jungler items

Exactly. Thornmail is the type of item Riot should hate, it doubles down on punishing things you have to do. Your punishment for hitting a tank is having to hit a tank, making not attacking anything a better idea than attacking is stupid.
with bjork regen that may no longer be the case tho?

anyone tried it yet?

to me trinity force is like a dumb item for a jungler unless they're fed because of how silly expensive it is

it's really good stats but vis i see usually get like warrior into tank or maybe brutalizer since it's so difficult to get that amount of money as a jungler i think. and i always felt brutalizer was kind of awkward since warrior...

i do think that maybe like getting the early phage might be nice? probably like warrior phage tank and finishing black cleaver at some point

i dunno much about jungler items

with bjork regen that may no longer be the case tho?

anyone tried it yet?
Trinity is a pretty easy buy because all the components are cheap. Depends on the jungler but Vi can grab Phage components, a full phage or a full Sheen before finishing it.

Sheen is a must on Vi. Burst is her thing

Tizoc

Thornmail's mainly good if opposing team has Auto attack reliant champs
BC was never core on Vi. It's always been a greedy item and Warrior made it pretty unnecessary. Sheen passive is more important to her than the Phage passive.

No idea about new BC tho. It'll depend wether 40 AD plus the shred is worth losing Spellblade which I doubt it is because if you didn't kill what you were aiming at in 6 hits you failed your job.

Oh shit your right, yeah Armor Pen Jungle item+Trinity wa her main offensive items, dunno why Black Cleaver came up.
...prob. cuz I've been getting her a lot on aram and I would go BC+Trinity and tank @_@

Nekofrog

Banned
Thornmail existed in a time where you couldn't get like 3000 health by the 25 minute mark though

then thornmail isn't the real problem

there are a lot of problems with various different ways of fixing them/breaking them further

right now it's fairly cheap to get very tanky as compared to fairly expensive to become a damage threat for most adc's

but with the gold in the current jungle, tank items almost have to be somewhat inexpensive (thornmail and frozen heart as an example). If a thornmail was 3200g and a frozen heart 3000/3200, tanks wouldn't exist. it's a fundamental economic problem right now.

however, if they increased the gold gain in the jungle and the cost of tank items at the same time then power spikes would be all over the place for a lot of champions, and carry junglers might creep back in as they could easily afford the inexpensive damage items they require (brutalizer/lw/tiamat) to just rek squishies.

i'm kind of just stream of consciousnessing this because i don't have a real solution to the problem other than a general cinderhulk rework.

zkylon

zkylewd

i mean, the thing is, things exist in metas and while something itself might've been ok in another meta it's just not great here and it's up to balance whether it's best to shift the meta to somewhere that's good for the item or shift the item towards somewhere that's good for the meta

usually riot goes with the latter since it's a lot simpler, leaving the meta changes for the big preseason patches

Fracas

#fuckonami

there are a lot of problems with various different ways of fixing them/breaking them further

right now it's fairly cheap to get very tanky as compared to fairly expensive to become a damage threat for most adc's

but with the gold in the current jungle, tank items almost have to be somewhat inexpensive (thornmail and frozen heart as an example). If a thornmail was 3200g and a frozen heart 3000/3200, tanks wouldn't exist. it's a fundamental economic problem right now.

however, if they increased the gold gain in the jungle and the cost of tank items at the same time then power spikes would be all over the place for a lot of champions, and carry junglers might creep back in as they could easily afford the inexpensive damage items they require (brutalizer/lw/tiamat) to just rek squishies.

i'm kind of just stream of consciousnessing this because i don't have a real solution to the problem other than a general cinderhulk rework.

I agree, the issue is deeper than just thornmail (I'm mainly frustrated because I've been playing a lot of AD carries lately). I dunno how to balance it either. Though I'm positive I'd rather have this tanky meta than what we had before.

Cramoss

So has anyone played Blitz again after the small buff to his W on 5.8?

How does it feel now? I stopped playing him on 5.7

drawkcaB

This is a big reason why I want that 25% health bonus significantly reduced or gone from Cinderhulk. That's an insane amount of gold efficiency. Last season, the 2nd iteration of SotAG had the same health bonus passive (or was it 20%?) and that wasn't that big of a deal because Junglers didn't have access to enough to gold to really push that passive. Warmog's with Cinderhulk is ~500g in free health, Righteous Glory is ~400g, etc. It's fucking stupid.

Gimme flat health, even less if necessary, but a similar damage passive over the %health bonus. Hell, rework the logic so that it only stacks up when you're taking damage, or some such as opposed to stacking "when in combat" because that shit keeps giving me free stacks. Why not have the max damage scale with time (like Rod of Ages) instead of by level to better control the curve.

Jeff-DSA said:

I'm not going to specifically defend the current state of Thornmail, but to play devil's advocate being unable to punish a ranged ADC wailing away at you from range isn't any better.

I reserve judgement on Thornmail until after the results of BotRK buff start coming in. My gut is that the concept of Thornmail is fine, but the raw numbers or even the current implementation (i.e. reflects damage before resists) needs to change.

Nekofrog

Banned
tbh i think one avenue to explore is that instead of a flat % increase of HP the moment you buy it, have it scale over time by 5% increments or something. it won't offer an immediate boon (but it'll still have one), while offering tanks what tanks need when it comes to late game.

The thing with "punishing the ranged carry" is that the fact that the ranged carry is having to hit you is already punishment enough, you're keeping damage off your team by being the frontline you're supposed to be, you're doing the job you picked the tank to do.

How about removing the damage reflect altogether and making Thornmail apply a short Grievous Wounds debuff? That way it can act as the LS-supressor it's supposed to be without actually killing ADCs.

drawkcaB

The thing with "punishing the ranged carry" is that the fact that the ranged carry is having to hit you is already punishment enough, you're keeping damage off your team by being the frontline you're supposed to be, you're doing the job you picked the tank to do.

When an ADC is hitting a tank it's because he's the highest priority target within range that won't compromise his positioning. You aren't punishing the ADC if he's hitting the only target he can reasonably hit.

Just throwing this out there, but give Thornmail and Odyn's Veil like active. I get hit, I build stacks. On activate I expend whatever stacks I have for a PBAoE nuke. You can keep your distance from me, you're good, I close the gap and get my hands on you, it's gonna hurt. Or conversely I can choose to expend the stacks to kill enemy champions attacking my own carries.

How about removing the damage reflect altogether and making Thornmail apply a short Grievous Wounds debuff? That way it can act as the LS-supressor it's supposed to be without actually killing ADCs.

I can think of lots of situations where the grevious wounds debuff would be irrelevant (for example at the start of a fight, tank will be hit by an ADC who's at full health anyways)

Neko said:
tbh i think one avenue to explore is that instead of a flat % increase of HP the moment you buy it, have it scale over time by 5% increments or something. it won't offer an immediate boon (but it'll still have one), while offering tanks what tanks need when it comes to late game.

I dunno, maybe? You still get the same result late game for the tank but tanks' tankiness doesn't seem to be as much an issue once the carry gets IE->PD->LW or another similar combo, so maybe it gives the carries more of chance to reach that point?

sleepykyo

It was more like brutalizer and trinity force. And that was kind of rare. Generally it was jungle item into tank. But evidently your games involve supports going full ap carry mode.

Blizzard

Banned

I think that's a bit silly though. If someone wants to go glass cannon, they should shatter like glass if they try to do stuff against properly itemized opponents. If enemies need to itemize, maybe it's time for ADCs to do it as well. :D Get some lifesteal, magic resist, health, etc. up in here.

Wasn't thornmail almost universally mocked at one point? I'm glad that it's kind of useful now, along with the tank meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom