• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
step 2: know how to actually play garen beyond the lane phase
are you suggesting that i don't know how to play garen beyond the laning phase and that as a result my analysis of the riven vs. garen matchup is off base?

you don't even really have garen games in the last month+. garen has a low midgame power swing before becoming kind of okay again late. riven is super strong mid and late and outscales garen exponentially.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
If you guys haven't already I would highly recommend going to a live league event. The environment is so friendly and you can literally start a conversation with anybody. On, top of that you get to meet your favorite personalities and player and they're also super cool to meet. Being in the middle of loud ass crowd cheers and team chants is just something that can't be replaced by twitch chat and watching streams.

I'm highly considering going to worlds this year because of my experience at MSI. More cute cosplay and travel pics incoming soon.

TomShoe

Banned
Just realized that the enemy can't see your custom emote for rank mastery. Which makes it essentially useless. It's like Riot took the mastery systems from HoTS & DOTA and moved over the core leveling system without making them meaningful. They could have done a lot of cool things with it.

"GAIN AN ICON!

CHROMA SKINS!

BONUS REWARDS!

PROFILE BANNER!"

"Nope Useless Emote! You thought you were gonna get something cool? Nah, feel free to buy our recolors which took 12 minutes to make for 590 RP!"

Chroma skins are such a good idea with the champion mastery system, but typical Riot greed gets in the way yet again. I understand they're a business so they need to make a profit, but sometimes they can be so money hungry it hurts. HoTS can't come soon enough.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Just realized that the enemy can't see your custom emote for rank mastery. Which makes it essentially useless. It's like Riot took the mastery systems from HoTS & DOTA and moved over the core leveling system without making them meaningful. They could have done a lot of cool things with it.

"GAIN AN ICON!

CHROMA SKINS!

BONUS REWARDS!

PROFILE BANNER!"

"Nope Useless Emote! You thought you were gonna get something cool? Nah, feel free to buy our recolors which took 12 minutes to make for 590 RP!"

Chroma skins are such a good idea with the champion mastery system, but typical Riot greed gets in the way yet again. I understand they're a business so they need to make a profit, but sometimes they can be so money hungry it hurts. HoTS can't come soon enough.
Its not like Riot does anything new.

jerd

People get upset about stuff like that and riot is worth all the money but doesn't bother to use it to do x or y but then riot releases a shiny teaser cartoon and everyone says ooh and ahh and we forget about all that other shit.

I don't mind personally. I think the extra content like the ekko thing and jinx video is super cool and the mastery system is super whatever but that's just me.

Its not like Riot does anything new.

They really do steal things and put a price on them :l

People get upset about stuff like that and riot is worth all the money but doesn't bother to use it to do x or y but then riot releases a shiny teaser cartoon and everyone says ooh and ahh and we forget about all that other shit.

I don't mind personally. I think the extra content like the ekko thing and jinx video is super cool and the mastery system is super whatever but that's just me.

Everyone knows Riot outsources their animations.

Edwardo

I like things like the mastery stuff and the opposite about the videos they release. I wish they could just put out more game content and not little animations and stories, but I know that's not how it works :/

Newt

"GAIN AN ICON!

CHROMA SKINS!

BONUS REWARDS!

PROFILE BANNER!"

League and Dota are essentially monopolies.

HoTS just felt like casual garbage to me when I tried it.

jerd

I like gameplay shit and fleshy lore shit but the stuff in between, things that I consider arbitrary goal posts like the mastery system, kind of is lost on me. Cosmetics are fine too because a lot of the skins are pretty great. The biggest injustice IMO is that we're still playing on this client

Edit: Hots is super casual but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. The problem is people try to treat it like a more refined and "serious" moba when it really seems like a wacky/silly version of a moba. That's where the Mario kart comparisons come in

Without counting the prices, good lord pretty expensive at launch and forcing you to buy the bundle or bust.

I also like the tiny lore tied to each skin

TomShoe

Banned
Guess I'm a two trick pony now.

o7RI1x0.jpg

Eh, HotS has massive potential just because it's tied into Blizzards ecosystem.

I have a friend who swears by it. (He constantly trashes League, even though he sucks at HoTS [like rank 47, plays Abathur and thinks he's good euuuuuuuuuuuugh], and it looks fun to me. Dunno if it'll keep me coming back though.)

I like gameplay shit and fleshy lore shit but the stuff in between, things that I consider arbitrary goal posts like the mastery system, kind of is lost on me. Cosmetics are fine too because a lot of the skins are pretty great. The biggest injustice IMO is that we're still playing on this client

The biggest injustice is that Riot's too busy making skins to give a shit

Edit: Hots is super casual but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. The problem is people try to treat it like a more refined and "serious" moba when it really seems like a wacky/silly version of a moba. That's where the Mario kart comparisons come in

It can be pretty serious, but the way it's tailored is to be more open for players and casuals. The difficulty and skill does come into place when you're playing seriously, though.

Without counting the prices, good lord pretty expansive at launch and forcing you to buy the bundle or bust.

I also like the tiny lore tied to each skin

Yeah, true enough. The daily quests really help with that though, it's an offset of rewarding casual play vs. serious grind. And yeah,t he lore to each skin is fun. Like, Malfurions Betrayer skin, it's essentially Malfurion was ostracized instead of Illidan, so Malfurion took the power of Gul'Dans skull to essentially show everyone his worth, by overpowering them. It's a neat touch.

This is my biggest issue with Riot. Like....we get it, Lux is super popular, keep pumping out skins for her. But it really seems like balance comes second, and new champions show this. Bard was completely niche, Rek'Sai and Gnar are completely powerful, you have about 20 or so champions that don't get treated seriously in the competitive meta...and they do nothing to alleviate. Instead of building up the weakest champions, they tend to nerf the strongest, which creates even more imbalance.

Look at DotA or even HotS for example-Valve takes their time to release patches, and they tend to be extremely impactful to the whole roster. HotS is still young, but they've kept it in alpha for literally a year, only starting their beta recently, and finally releasing. In this time they've remade heroes, completely changes aspects of gameplay...and every hero that comes out seems to have heavy consideration into what they'll do. They kinda take the DotA paradigm of having extremely ridiculous abilities(Massive AoE damage, map-wide skills, etc. etc.) but it's not toxic to play against.

I still remember the TF/Shen/Pantheon nerfs. It hurts my soul every day.

jerd

That's not Urgot in the Ekko video, but instead someone else that's been modified with some similar looking tech.

Not Singed either. Sion or TBA champ?

If zky were here he'd slap you breezy. Lux hasn't had a skin in like 2.5 years that's not exactly pumping them out

Yeah, true enough. The daily quests really help with that though, it's an offset of rewarding casual play vs. serious grind. And yeah,t he lore to each skin is fun. Like, Malfurions Betrayer skin, it's essentially Malfurion was ostracized instead of Illidan, so Malfurion took the power of Gul'Dans skull to essentially show everyone his worth, by overpowering them. It's a neat touch.

Look at DotA or even HotS for example-Valve takes their time to release patches, and they tend to be extremely impactful to the whole roster. HotS is still young, but they've kept it in alpha for literally a year, only starting their beta recently, and finally releasing. In this time they've remade heroes, completely changes aspects of gameplay...and every hero that comes out seems to have heavy consideration into what they'll do. They kinda take the DotA paradigm of having extremely ridiculous abilities(Massive AoE damage, map-wide skills, etc. etc.) but it's not toxic to play against.

I still remember the TF/Shen/Pantheon nerfs. It hurts my soul every day.

And Tyrande becomes Maiev in her alt skin since is their destiny to be together.

I agree, Blizzard seems to be pretty efficient to add, remove or completely change the Heroes skills according to the wins/lose stats and comunity feedback. You just have to look at Shen and Diablo to notice it.

Maybe Riot is a little cnofident in their own fanbase to do something about it and keep releasing skins, Lux skin is pretty out of place form me. Instead of doing something in their current champs, they really took their time to do something or correct abilities that are pretty bad or are pretty unfair to deal with it (I am looking at you Sona's E). Riot just do a full rework and call it a day.

Maybe Riot is a little cofident in their own fanbase to do something about it and keep releasing skins, Lux skin is pretty out of place form me. Instead of doing something in their current champs, they really took their time to do something or correct abilities that are pretty bad or are pretty unfair to deal with it (I am looking at you Sona's E). Riot just do a full rework and call it a day.

Oh god their tendency to rework. Oh my god. Eve and Twitch too stronk? Nerf them to oblivion then completely rework them. They're in a good place right now but....that shouldn't be the solution. You shouldn't have to rework champions in order to make them balanced.

And Veigar...my friend was telling me about him...his Q is a skillshot..his stun now has a slight delay before it comes out..I was in disbelief.

Edit-It's like...Riot has an invisible bar they're balancing around. It was most apparent during the Bruiser meta..but now it's just this invisible bar they balance around. It's silly.

dimb

there are very few champions in the game that are not viable. even at a competitive level there is a variety of picks, but honestly the 2v1 meta shuts out a lot of champion options. riot is pretty proactive with adjusting the meta, and they've been trying to tweak balance through itemization options rather than straight hard balancing this season, although there's honestly been a lot of both. there have been major meta shifts and loads of different champions have shown up in competitive play. like i seriously think you guys just don't play the game or something. the true outliers of balance exist on certain items like thornmail and champions like riven that let games run out of control with single players controlling too much of the game without recourse. like 90% of the stuff that gets reworked in this game are abilities and items that are overwhelming and can't be played around.

i'm relatively happy with how riot balances stuff and wish they would put out more skins.

My trouble is, Sona skills change basically negated her a complete rework right now and her legendary skin completely just sealed it. I dont see Riot giving her a new model soon.

TomShoe

Banned
Oh god their tendency to rework. Oh my god. Eve and Twitch too stronk? Nerf them to oblivion then completely rework them. They're in a good place right now but....that shouldn't be the solution. You shouldn't have to rework champions in order to make them balanced.

And Veigar...my friend was telling me about him...his Q is a skillshot..his stun now has a slight delay before it comes out..I was in disbelief.

Edit-It's like...Riot has an invisible bar they're balancing around. It was most apparent during the Bruiser meta..but now it's just this invisible bar they balance around. It's silly.

In a good place? Eve is trash. Twitch is beyond useless. Veigar is a double peasant now. They're sitting there rotting while Sejuani is busy trashing everything in their wake. Their balance needs work.

jerd

Their reworks have been great though... Idk eve and twitch were before my time but like Ryze for example had -20 base damage off of one ability and immediately went from a power pick to a terrible one. The reworks have all been on completely irrelevant champs like veig and soon or oppressive/binary champs like Ryze and Nid

In a good place? Eve is trash.

No, we're talking about the current patch

Leezard

there are very few champions in the game that are not viable. even at a competitive level there is a variety of picks, but honestly the 2v1 meta shuts out a lot of champion options. riot is pretty proactive with adjusting the meta, and they've been trying to tweak balance through itemization options rather than straight hard balancing this season, although there's honestly been a lot of both. there have been major meta shifts and loads of different champions have shown up in competitive play. like i seriously think you guys just don't play the game or something. the true outliers of balance exist on certain items like thornmail and champions like riven that let games run out of control with single players controlling too much of the game without recourse. like 90% of the stuff that gets reworked in this game are abilities and items that are overwhelming and can't be played around.

i'm relatively happy with how riot balances stuff and wish they would put out more skins.
Dimb is on point, I think. The last couple of patches have been really good and there are just a couple of apparent balance issues right now.

Well, who's fault is it that the balance gets whack in the first place? How many times have they had to 'rework' the jungle to fit into the meta? And how many times have they had to add or remove 'troublesome' items? Cinderhulk is a major problem. Righteous Glory is a major problem. ADC's builds tend to be shoehorned into one or two different builds unless you're playing a certain champion(IE Ezreal). Junglers have to start the same item and go into similar builds, same with tanks and their end builds. Supports have a false choice between relic shield, the ancient coin, and spellthiefs edge. As an AP, again unless you're a certain champion(Vlad, Morde, etc.) you're shoehorned into going through 2-3 different builds. Alot of the items are false choices, they're something you'd never take. Atmas was probably the biggest offender in the past. Now a days they've managed to condense alot of the items, but you sitll have one or two offenders-Banner of Command is considered a 'greedy' item to build, archangels is never seen in competitive play, manamune only works on a few champions.

You cite riven, but riven is a pub stomper. In teamplay she tends to get shut down quite easily. And as a rule of thumb, riot should never balance around the lowest common denominator, they should balance around the highest level of teamplay.

Instead of digesting the balance for a year or so, they constantly patch up and down for everything, not letting it simmer and sit. They can balance bad things in a game constantly, but it'll always be bad. But if they gave it some time..let it simmer...see how the meta played for months through....I'd say they'd be in a better spot.

In a good place? Eve is trash. Twitch is beyond useless. Veigar is a double peasant now. They're sitting there rotting while Sejuani is busy trashing everything in their wake. Their balance needs work.

True enough, I haven't really seen Twitch and Eve I've seen here and there. Veigar....I shed a tear for him. That's another thing-Sejuani invalidates alot of picks single-handedly. They need to balance horizontally, not vertically.

Their reworks have been great though... Idk eve and twitch were before my time but like Ryze for example had -20 base damage off of one ability and immediately went from a power pick to a terrible one. The reworks have all been on completely irrelevant champs like veig and soon or oppressive/binary champs like Ryze and Nid

Eve and Twitch used to be...something magical. Eve could stack Sunfire capes and slowly burn down enemies. It was hilarious. Twitch just use to blow people up and stealth for a minute at a time before they nerfed him the first time..

The Twitch rework was pretty great. He didn't need 50 seconds of stealth in the first place. Cask was also neat instead of him having to pick between damage or a strong slow.

The only big issue has been Cinderhulk. Tanks needed a way to clear the jungle better throughout the game. It didn't need to murder enemy champs at the same time.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The Twitch rework was pretty great. He didn't need 50 seconds of stealth in the first place. Cask was also neat instead of him having to pick between damage or a strong slow.

The only big issue has been Cinderhulk. Tanks needed a way to clear the jungle better throughout the game. It didn't need to murder enemy champs at the same time.
But now the stealth can never activate if he takes damage. Mirror matches am cry.

TomShoe

Banned
But now the stealth can never activate if he takes damage. Mirror matches am cry.

If he takes any damage he's fucked. People started complaining and then Riot emptied their shit truck of nerfs. He's my favorite champ, but I'm not touching him until he gets fixed.

Yet riven goes untouched every single patch

If he takes any damage he's fucked. People started complaining and then Riot emptied their shit truck of nerfs. He's my favorite champ, but I'm not touching him until he gets fixed.

Yet riven goes untouched every single patch

Dunno I didn't really mind that. I thought it was fair. Twitch just has to Q before he gets ganked, instead of praying he survives until stealth.

The nerf to his AD and passive hurt him more imho.

dimb

Well, who's fault is it that the balance gets whack in the first place?
uh, the company that controls the game? it's not as though they are intentionally going out of their way to ruin the game. efforts to tweak the game in some ways can have ripple effects with so many interdependent systems and variables.

cinderhulk is the answer to an absence of tanks. it fills good gaps but scales too well by being too value efficient. it's impact on the game is more positive than negative. righteous glory is fun and enables champs in a way that's necessary, and without as heavy a siege game it supports the team fights/picks needed to end games.

i feel like there's more variety to adc builds than people realize/let on. criticizing the "false choice" of items on support ignores that the items enable a wide variety of champions in the role. starting item choice doesn't have to be an interesting or strategic decision. there are loads of item builds for lots of champions with a variety of power peak paths. if you are unable to see that i don't know what to tell you.

drawkcaB

Nope.

Also, lots of champions when played properly can smash just as hard as Sejuani. The key difference is that Sej's popularity leads to a wider adoption of best practices when playing her, such as proper skill order, core items, etc. A good example of this trend is Nautilus. His win rate doesn't seem that great at first glance until you take a peek at the "most frequent" and "highest win%" skill orders. Max'ing Riptide*** over Titan's Wrath yields a nearly 7% (!) increase in win rates, but because only ~10% of Nautilus junglers have actually adapted to his mini-rework his overall win rate doesn't seem that great. Contrast that to Sejuani, whose "most frequent" and "highest win%" are roughly the same because players are more informed.

And then you have champions like Amumu which are just strong, period.

*** For anyone interested, I advocate 2 points in W before max'ing E. The loss of clear speed and damage from straight max'ing E first is worth the significantly better health and mana sustain, IMO.

jerd

Is it possible that support naut is just way better? I think most support nauts are maxing E first but idk if you're only counting those that took smite to ensure they're jungling

Newt

Anyways, I think I'm going to take a break from ranked for a bit. ADC just isn't very fun at the moment. Champions like Sion and Gragas building full tank and doing similar damage output just isn't fun to me. Champions like Nunu and Nautilus that just point and click and I'm already fked isn't fun either.

jerd

Anyways, I think I'm going to take a break from ranked for a bit. ADC just isn't very fun at the moment. Champions like Sion and Gragas building full tank and doing similar damage output just isn't fun to me. Champions like Nunu and Nautilus that just point and click and I'm already fked isn't fun either.

Soooooooooooooo inhouses?

Hurr, I'm so funny and original. I'm gonna suicide in the enemy fountain instead of attacking the nexus.*extends game by 15+ minutes*

Everyone who does this needs to be banned forever.

Blizzard

Banned
do you guys have some aversion to actually posting the content that you're talking about? this keeps happening.
ekko trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtEpp9lkfxA

Because most if not all here probably saw it on Riot's Twitch stream.

I wasn't around to watch the Riot stream, so I appreciate the link being posted. Thanks.

Well I for one didn't expect him to have a white mohawk :V

I am oddly reminded of 80s Storm
Storm____80s_mohawk_version_by_grantgoboom.jpg

Oddly enough, I was reminded of Spyke (Storm's nephew) from X-Men Evolution for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom