• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Luden's Echo will proc the Rylai Passive.
and I don't care that it is just 15% sometimes a small delay is all that's needed tog et wasted :V

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Janna, Nami, Alistar

In the "probably as good" category: Zyra/Thresh/Lulu (but they might get blown up in the process)

edit: properly used Bard
I really do not agree. Nami's peel is pretty conditional on the bubble, which is not effective vs. all champs. Janna provides strong peel, but Braum will outdo her when it comes to ranged attackers/mages. I do not consider Zyra to be a strong peel support. Braum ult/shield/passive is still some of the best peel in the game.

Nekofrog

Banned
i said disengage not peel. if our definitions are different (i see peel as in-fight locking up of threat, disengage as avoiding the threat entirely) then we may be having a different discussion

a nami ult/bubble from a competent nami will always be more effective than the braum ult/q, janna ult is literally a "lol go away" followed by a tornado and a targeted MS slow, Alistar is a straight up AOE "nope"

like i said zyra is probably as good at disengage but with the added negative of being blown up, however her snare is pretty potent.

bard is a huge questionmark because he's still new but i see people getting better and better with him every day. his disengage potential is very high

dimb

The problem with champions like Zyra, Bard, and Nami when it comes to disengage is that they are rarely if ever able to instantly peel back from fights. This problem has been exacerbated by items like Righteous Glory. Braum's combo into shield can guarantee a certain amount of safety from many champions.

Jeff-DSA

The Leblanc nerf was needed if they weren't going to address the scaling. Pretty dumb how safely she could burst someone down. This won't ruin her, but it's going to hurt.

Leezard

The problem with champions like Zyra, Bard, and Nami when it comes to disengage is that they are rarely if ever able to instantly peel back from fights. This problem has been exacerbated by items like Righteous Glory. Braum's combo into shield can guarantee a certain amount of safety from many champions.

Nami's ult is just plain better than Braum's ult at disengaging considering the wider hitbox and proper knockup on all targets. Braum won't have the luxury of hitting someone enough time to proc his passive for a disengage, whereas a bubble can still be thrown and provide further cc. The shield might be useful in some fringe cases, but it is very situational in a disengage.

Nekofrog

Banned

i mean zyra's snare does pretty well to peel back from fights. bard has a tunnel with a followup stun for people who follow behind it. nami has the ability to slow targets/cc multiple targets easily with a bubble when an enemy is slowed by tidal wave.

i think you're underestimating their effectiveness to mitigate combat. braum gets a Q for a brief single target slow that requires multiple auto attacks to proc a stun (again on one target), plus a not as easily landed knockup/slow combo. his shield also doesn't negate many forms of CC upon him. you know what now that we're discussing it, i'm even more down on braum now. he's a pretty crap champion right now, which sucks because i like him.

dimb

Nami's ult is just plain better than Braum's ult at disengaging considering the wider hitbox and proper knockup on all targets. Braum won't have the luxury of hitting someone enough time to proc his passive for a disengage, whereas a bubble can still be thrown and provide further cc. The shield might be useful in some fringe cases, but it is very situational in a disengage.
I would generally consider Nami's ult to be less powerful than Braum's, especially at close range. It is very weak reactively unless used from a great distance, and even then it is something that can be avoided/worked around.

If you look at the AD carries Nami statistically fails to protect it's stuff like Kog'maw, Urgot, and Miss Fortune that have huge issues with finding immediate peel or mitigation. Meanwhile Braum's top statistical synergies are Kog and Urgot.

drawkcaB

Braum's ult is better on counter engages, Nami ult is better on disengages. And no, those aren't the same thing.

Any rate, I think there's a Bilgewater event on the way. Just a hunch. We know MF is getting a VU, Gangplank's rework is close to completion, and now we have those mysterious laughing sounds on PBE summoner's rift. Some people think it's GP but it has an otherworldly, ghostly kind of sound to the laugh, and you can hear deep diving sound effects. My guess is that it's new champion linked to whatever transformed Nautilus.

I base this on absolutely nothing.

Nekofrog

Banned
My guess is that it's new champion linked to whatever transformed Nautilus.

Is that from the lore-that-no-longer-exists?

as in...braum ult is actually useful and can't be wasted on nothing/running away.

you're saying you've never seen a wasted braum ult

bruh. you're generally well informed but to call nami ult not useful? come on. you may like braum as a champion and that's fine, but to claim that his disengage is better/more reliable than a number of champions after asking me to list them (and giving reasons why) then ignoring all but one or two from the list.

Leezard

I would generally consider Nami's ult to be less powerful than Braum's, especially at close range. It is very weak reactively unless used from a great distance, and even then it is something that can be avoided/worked around.

If you look at the AD carries Nami statistically fails to protect it's stuff like Kog'maw, Urgot, and Miss Fortune that have huge issues with finding immediate peel or mitigation. Meanwhile Braum's top statistical synergies are Kog and Urgot.

How interesting, I think Braum's ult is generally a weaker version of Nami's ult. The only thing Braum's ult has on it is its slow field which is generally low-impact, and the fact that it hits targets closely behind Braum, which does not matter that much since Nami won't stand in the frontline as much as Braum. The close range part typically only matters when you are engaged upon from multiple flanks, which is indeed a weakness of the Nami ult.

On the other hand, Nami's ult has higher impact knockups for more than one target, and it is much larger. It can hit 4+ champs in situations where Braum ult will knock one up and slow one or two. It's possible to work around the Nami ult, but by then it has generally done its job already in stalling for time.

I'm interested in the synergy though, where did you find it?

dimb

bruh. you're generally well informed but to call nami ult not useful? come on. you may like braum as a champion and that's fine, but to claim that his disengage is better/more reliable than a number of champions after asking me to list them (and giving reasons why) then ignoring all but one or two from the list.
Nami ult is obviously useful, but it's not a core component of her kit that needs to land in order for her to do her job: win trades effectively in the early game and heal bot/create regular CC in mid and late. Nami's disengage is largely situational and fails to stop instantaneous burst.

If you want to discount the unique attributes Braum has of negating CC/damage from a direction, or pretending that a knock up/slow field isn't reliable because you can't hit it then sure, he is not very good at disengaging. Personally I value the CC absorb, particularly in a hard engage meta.
I'm just using champion.gg

Nekofrog

Banned
Nami ult is obviously useful, but it's not a core component of her kit that needs to land in order for her to do her job: win trades effectively in the early game and heal bot/create regular CC in mid and late. Nami's disengage is largely situational and fails to stop instantaneous burst.

If you want to discount the unique attributes Braum has of negating CC/damage from a direction, or pretending that a knock up/slow field isn't reliable because you can't hit it then sure, he is not very good at disengaging. Personally I value the CC absorb, particularly in a hard engage meta.

i mean, but so is braum's. i don't get what you're going for here. not only is braum's situational but it's arguably less reliable because outside of his ult (which i'm not very high on), his Q is a single target moderate slow that has to be stacked with auto's to get the stun proc.

the absorb is also incredibly situational. don't want your damage absorbed? wait out the CD or avoid braum altogether. he's not going to lock you out of a fight like nami, janna, alistar, bard (if there are minions or other units around... bard's locking you down).

i dont even consider leona a disengage champion (because she's not), but her kit can be utilized FOR disengage better than braum

dimb

I see. It barely has any information right now after the new patch besides saying both synergize well with ashe and poorly with lucian which is more a reflection of which adcs are strong or weak.
that's why you use the examples of champions that have their win rate drastically altered by the support...
i mean, but so is braum's. i don't get what you're going for here. not only is braum's situational but it's arguably less reliable because outside of his ult (which i'm not very high on), his Q is a single target moderate slow that has to be stacked with auto's to get the stun proc.
please stop this meme. it's a decaying two second slow but it's still 70%.
i dont even consider leona a disengage champion (because she's not), but her kit can be utilized FOR disengage better than braum
okay. i am sorry i tried to talk to you. i do not think braum is amazing. he is in a pretty reliable spot right now and fits well on certain teams. his damage mitigation and extended fight control are still very valuable.

Leezard

that's why you use the examples of champions that have their win rate drastically altered by the support...
It appears they were simply not shown at all since I had it filtered to 1000+ games played. Urgot has 56 & 57 games included for them, respectively. It should probably be fine to see the trend even though I wouldn't put much stock in the accuracy of the exact winrates.
I don't mean to pile on here, but Leona is really bad as a disengage. Braum is in top 5 at least.

Ocho

Oh man. :S

I think Braum is a pretty decent support right now. Works great in solo queue, I play him all the time.

Blizzard

Banned
I am not sad for any LeBlanc nerfs. In bronze/silver I could probably go 30-50 ranked games in a row without ever seeing a single Urgot. If I went those 30-50 games without seeing a LeBlanc either, I rather doubt I would miss it.

drawkcaB

Is that from the lore-that-no-longer-exists?

They didn't ditch all the lore, just the stupid Summoners shit and the whole reasoning for the League of Legends. Naut-Dawg is still a diver falling to the depths of the ocean and transformed into a hulking bad ass of rusty metal by dark forces, yo.

I think there needs to be a differentiation between disengage and counter engage here.

Disengage -> I'm going to nullify your engage and reset the fight to my team's advantage. Good example is Janna in a poke comp vs. a dive comp.
Counter-engage -> I'm going to reverse your engage so my team can close in while you're out of position - swing the fight around 180, not reset it.. Good example is two dive comps, one with a Leona support while the other has Zyra support.

Both Braum and Nami can counter-engage and disengage, each is stronger in one than the other, particularly once you look at their kits holistically.

How interesting, I think Braum's ult is generally a weaker version of Nami's ult. The only thing Braum's ult has on it is its slow field which is generally low-impact, and the fact that it hits targets closely behind Braum, which does not matter that much since Nami won't stand in the frontline as much as Braum. The close range part typically only matters when you are engaged upon from multiple flanks, which is indeed a weakness of the Nami ult.

On the other hand, Nami's ult has higher impact knockups for more than one target, and it is much larger. It can hit 4+ champs in situations where Braum ult will knock one up and slow one or two. It's possible to work around the Nami ult, but by then it has generally done its job already in stalling for time.

You're hitting the nail on the head without intending to.

You correctly identified just why Braum is better at counter engaging than Nami. His ult is a PBAOE and the slow field is always 4 seconds, not up to 4 like Nami's ultimate hit at max range. Because it's a field it's continuously being applied so long as opponents are on it, so it's less affected by tenacity. On top of that, his shield will deny lots of damage from the squishies while his teammates move in on the counter engage.

Let's imagine for a moment how each champion would best deal with an Amumu hard engage. Nami wants to pop the ult immediately after Amumu lands Curse of the Sad Mummy. It'll stop the opposing team's follow up and create a significant move speed differential between the teams due to the ult's movespeed reduction and her passives move speed bonus. Optimally your squishies back off slightly, smack the shit out of Amumu while locked down by the jungler and toplaner and the fight has now been reset except now it's 4v5.

Braum doesn't want to use his ult immediately. He should be waiting a few seconds to let the enemy close inside his stronger PBAoE CC circle and let their squishies move in. Then he pops the ult, trapping the divers while the opposing squishies are in range of his own divers while he aborbs damage by means of his shield. The goal here isn't to have a second fight with an advantage, it's to end it right then there, 2v0, 3v0...4v0...whatever.

On the whole I agree with dimb - Braum ultimate is better. For one his disengage is better than Nami's counter engage, even though it's respectively their weaker aspect. Two, and more importantly, the nature of solo queue with idiots gunning for squishies and putting themselves in bad positions means that counter engage will be more valuable than disengage.

zkylon

zkylewd
speaking of braum, how does he interact with new ashy q

does it like proc the passive instantly?

Fairly certain it's a revert to a buff.
yea now that you mention it, i think that's true

i'm guessing they're trying to nerf her a bit, but i duno what effect will it have

rip leb.

probably my most difficult match up champion. don't know if I should be glad or sad.
i'm def sad as she's one of the most fun lane matchups and now it sounds like she'll be really poor in lane

well leblanc's pretty annoying and she's perceived as overpowered so...

The Leblanc nerf was needed if they weren't going to address the scaling. Pretty dumb how safely she could burst someone down. This won't ruin her, but it's going to hurt.
this can pretty easily ruin her

i appreciate the counterplay injection but i don't agree she needed a nerf

I am not sad for any LeBlanc nerfs. In bronze/silver I could probably go 30-50 ranked games in a row without ever seeing a single Urgot. If I went those 30-50 games without seeing a LeBlanc either, I rather doubt I would miss it.

i mean at that elo leblancs are probably pretty bad so what does it matter?

Um, im updating the game now since ive been itching to play lately, but....the last time I played was December of last year.

Is there a list of the new things/features that have been changed since then? like that new wall entry at the Base, or if they changed the masteries from last season, ect, ect. Last I remember them doing is adding more functions to Smite for junglers, like slow effects on enemy team depending what item you get or how you evolve the jungle items.

zkylon

zkylewd
cute lux

hIrvXnB.jpg

Doesn't only the first shot proc on-hit effects? So it's just once per barrage.

ah yea, thats probably true

would make muramana super broken i think

Jeff-DSA

Um, im updating the game now since ive been itching to play lately, but....the last time I played was December of last year.

Is there a list of the new things/features that have been changed since then? like that new wall entry at the Base, or if they changed the masteries from last season, ect, ect. Last I remember them doing is adding more functions to Smite for junglers, like slow effects on enemy team depending what item you get or how you evolve the jungle items.

It's a tank meta. If you don't have a couple of tanks on your team, expect to lose.

Nekofrog

Banned
that's cool. if you dont want to actually discuss things when you're wrong you can go. or you can be a grown up and admit you were wrong in some statements like i did and we can be pals

TomShoe

Banned
I need a new router. With my family hogging bandwidth, I'm getting near-constant ping spikes of up to 1000. Stop streaming Netflix dammit.

i think solar flare is a better ultimate than glacial fissure. that's pretty much the gist of it

uuuuuuuupupupupu

Grimløck;166220821 said:
what's up with this leaverbuster crap when the client crashes on you?

The game is counting it as a leave I suppose.

Stubo

So I've been playing some more of this game (it's far too addictive!!) and I'm looking for some champion recommendations.

I've been playing mainly Morgana in a support or mid role because normally support is the position left to fill, and I'm super comfortable playing her now so the transition to mid isn't too bad.

Filling other spots I'd pick Sivir/Ashe, Garen or Amumu.

Basically my question: are there any champions who play in a similar way to Morgana for other lanes? I seem to prefer the ranged/pokey champions. I think I should play more mid/top/jungle in solo queue so that I don't have to rely on a random in bot lane.

I might pick up the champions bundle, digital collectors bundle or both eventually if they're worth it.

Edit: I'm level 15 so I'm not looking for super in depth analysis or anything, I've never played ~90% of the champions in the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
i w to kill ekko as leblanc

ekko w's

i w back since i don't know where he shot it

turns out he had thrown it randomly on his turret

he walks to turret and bases

awesome gameplay

-___-

#makeitvisible

that's cool. if you dont want to actually discuss things when you're wrong you can go. or you can be a grown up and admit you were wrong in some statements like i did and we can be pals
i mean

i don't agree about all you said but it's soda

you're not gonna end a discussion with soda as pals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom