• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, but why not rush Hourglass or abysal first? RoA gives you good health chunk, buff that with Abyssal or Hourglass and you'll be surviving a lot longer in battles.

Because you would delay the living crap out of your power spike.

You have to remember you're off on the island known as top lane. These guys are pros and not low elo. They farm really well so their gold income is a lot different then let say your average gold player or whatever. They can get the 15 minute RoA off farming alone in a 0-0 game.

You rush the hour glass in top lane it's pointless even in mid lane it's pointless most of the time unless you're against Zed/Talon. A) if gives you 0 kill pressure, and B) it does give you safety, but what if you get 3 man ganked? or mis played? If you think about it the only time any Rumble goes Hourglass before Haunting Guise is when they back and have 1600 gold for large rod. For Ryze it's not the haunting Guise but it's the Roa/Tear. The faster you get your RoA the faster you get the clock to tick on the time of stacking. The faster you get your tear the faster you can start to stack yourself.

You get both early and let say you finish at around 25-30 minutes you get a power spike. You throw a heavy AP item on top of that (Luden, Deathcap, Hourglass) now you have 2 stacked items + a 120 AP item that's your window somewhere around 30-35 minutes.

Let say you don't go RoA or Tear first but Hourglass push your RoA back to say 25-30 minutes, your tear at around 20-25 minutes. Your window and your power spike we looking at around 40 minutes or even more.

Same goes for champions like Ezreal and Corki. Even bruiser such as Renekton, and Hecarmin or Jarvan. Everyone has a window where they are stronger than someone else. You want to find that window and abuse that window.

Right? Vlad at level 4 can be all-in in lane very easy, Vlad at level 9 with 5 points into Q, that's another story. Nasus with sub 300 stacks = punching bag, Nasus with 500+ stacks = FML.

Learn your windows/power spikes. Learn your opponents window/power spike. That's also a general tip on dealing with champions like Riven, Floria, Yasuo etc..

faridmon

Can you tell how much gold each team has through the game while playing it? I know that its actually quite explicit during streaming a match, but what about while playing?

zkylon

zkylewd
Can you tell how much gold each team has through the game while playing it? I know that its actually quite explicit during streaming a match, but what about while playing?
not really, you can try doing some very rough math if u want:
kill = 300g
20cs diff = 1 kill
turret = 1000g

the numbers are really really rough but usually gives you a decent enough idea

team gold difference isn't really that important tho, mostly items/levels and on who, and also powerspikes (like if zed is 3-0 at like 10m you know you're gonna have trouble soon but maybe catch up later if you play safe, but if it's vayne then you probably still have some time to do stuff but you're on a timer cos lategame's gonna come soon)

well im back on the ranked pony and i'm G4

a4e4a6655d8e0835c7175d757adb4c8d.jpg

03bde0b03f6584438b270460666095fb.png

idk whether to report graves or honor him

first part of chat is in first screenshot

I hate to be that drifter who just floats in with a question, but I just restarted after not playing for like two years. I remember almost nothing. What's the best champion to play support, specifically for someone just getting restarted?

Newt

I hate to be that drifter who just floats in with a question, but I just restarted after not playing for like two years. I remember almost nothing. What's the best champion to play support, specifically for someone just getting restarted?
A person with half a brain could play Leona.

Edit: Just learned that a person with half a brain can function pretty normally.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nautilus. Bard. Soraka. All pretty straightforward and strong. There is a lot of variability in the support role right now so you can really pick pretty much whatever you're comfortable with.

A person with half a brain could play Leona.

Edit: Just learned that a person with half a brain can function pretty normally.
Nautilus. Bard. Soraka. All pretty straightforward and strong. There is a lot of variability in the support role right now so you can really pick pretty much whatever you're comfortable with.
Haha thanks folks. I'll give a few of those a look on YouTube I guess and then give them a few test runs.

dimb

Is raka considered strong now? Bc of the new coin? That's awesome I really like her
She was strong before and how coin works now makes it even more dumb. I do not think there is much counterplay to Soraka in lane.

Edwardo

Such a bad night in ranked. First game, my team played overly cautious when they didn't need to. Second game, Ekko destroyed our Vlad and our Maokai quit after going 0/3 to their Renekton. Third game, our Fiddle was barely half-playing then just went afk and our Irelia got obliterated by their Ryze.

So lame.

Nekofrog

Banned
i mean, is there a right answer? what elo are you talking about? what are the team comps?

in a general/vague sense? a specific one? potential? or just kit analysis?

Newt

i mean, is there a right answer? what elo are you talking about? what are the team comps?

in a general/vague sense? a specific one?

Just like exclude bronze, silver and maybe gold. Assume both support players are of equal skill. Just assume both teams are somewhat smart. It's solo q, so think of the most popular picks for team comps.

We're just talking about the ability to carry matches.

Leezard

Provided both are played at a reasonable level, I'd say Bard. Roaming fucks with other lanes a lot.

Leona has less impact in a tanky meta than an assassin meta I think, as you typically have more engage on your team already, and peel is very important.

The roaming is the biggest part though, mid/top laners typically do not deal well with roamers in solo queue. Get a couple of roam kills in and enemy team morale gets much lower.

I've probably seen more Bard than Leona in the last month in ranked.

zkylon

zkylewd
We don't want to just leave him as is for an indeterminate period of time however. In the short term as a result we're going to be buffing his passive so its cooldown reduces by level. At present it has a flat 225s CD, we're going to reduce that to 225/200/175/150 at levels 1/6/11/16 in the next patch (5.11), in particular so that Aatrox generally has access to his passive in late game team fights.

i think there was one guy here that cared about aatrox

killatopak

Gold Member

I'd go with Leona.

I suck at support but even I get praised for being a good support when using Leona.
i think there was one guy here that cared about aatrox
thank god for the buffs.

Before I was a Riven main, I was an Aatrox main. When Aatrox gets fed, he really is unstoppable. Now that his passive is on a shorter cooldown, it'll be easier to tower dive and aggressively gank more frequently.

Ocho

Okay, Dimb and I got into an argument.

Who is the better solo q champ:

Bard or Leona.

Leona. Bard's ult can fuck up your team, not sure why he even suggested it was an easy champion to pick up. Even in lane it needs some epic positioning.

You know I haven't played in a couple months and have no clue who the champs are and other changes but I still feel like I could just login right now and put up a 20+'er with my TF.

That's how in sync I am with him. I feel like I could not play for 10 years then randomly login one day and just destroy everyone in my path with my TF's incredible deeps.

killatopak

Gold Member
You know I haven't played in a couple months and have no clue who the champs are and other changes but I still feel like I could just login right now and put up a 20+'er with my TF.

That's how in sync I am with him. I feel like I could not play for 10 years then randomly login one day and just destroy everyone in my path with my TF's incredible deeps.

image.php

MaxiLive

Leona. Bard's ult can fuck up your team, not sure why he even suggested it was an easy champion to pick up. Even in lane it needs some epic positioning.

I'd go with Leona too :D Bard is rather tricky to play well and doesn't offer as much in the laning phase when it comes to pressure which can cause the adc to tilt depending on how they like to play.

I played a few games over the weekend and most of them were really enjoyable I also had some super forgettable ones due to being over the tipsy/drunk threshold to know what I was doing.

I did get a random Penta in ARAM though :D

dimb

I didn't say it was easy. I think a skilled Bard player would be stronger/more valuable than a skilled Leona player.

Ocho

I didn't say it was easy. I think a skilled Bard player would be stronger/more valuable than a skilled Leona player.

Sorry, I was referencing a previous post by the guy looking for an easy to learn support.

I guess if we have two skilled players, Bard would come on top, I agree. Otherwise, I would recommend Leona over Bard.

zkylon

zkylewd
i should play more leona, having a lot of fun with thresh and lulu atm but she's pretty alright to play and i bet she's super fun on a shurelyas+righteous glory build

also i want to try new karma, tho she sounds kind of bad imo

garath

I agree. Leona is at heart a very all-in engage support. Good but requires a lot of followup in solo queue, not as easy to play from behind as well. Bard can wreck havoc in a lot of ways through his sustain, mobility, escapes, poke and all-in capability. Bard is definitely harder to play well though.

Jeff-DSA

I have played in exactly one game where an opposing Bard was great, but they still lost. It's actually easy to underestimate a lot of what he can do. The problem is, his teammates often can't capitalize on his strengths.

garath

I have played in exactly one game where an opposing Bard was great, but they still lost. It's actually easy to underestimate a lot of what he can do. The problem is, his teammates often can't capitalize on his strengths.

I'm seeing him more and more effective as time goes on.

Man poor Ryze. He can't catch a break. I think he's one of the most hated champions of all time.

Riot just doesn't seem to know what they're doing with him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom