• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pretty neato is demo mode not being a lobby thing you reload in and out of: http://cdn.dota2.com/apps/dota2/videos/reborn/day1/DemoHero.webm
I wanna muck around with Bard / Ekko :(
Yeah, I think what people forget about Riot is that they were a small company that happened to have their game become the biggest one in the world. So in a sense they're still trying to catch up.
I don't think that's a real argument if you have over 1000 employees and are making over $1,000,000,000 a year.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The big thing is that Riot has no major reason to totally overhaul the game. Their audience is hooked, they're still the most accessible MOBA on the market (with HOTS' late adopter status being an insurmountable obstacle), what reason do they have to revamp LoL?

Dota2r (which is what I'm nicknaming this) is a showcase for Source 2 and all the new experimental features Valve plans to make widely available to all Valve published games or games on the new Source 2 engine. Just like Dota 2 ver 1.0 was advertisement for Steam and Source, Dota 2 ver 2.0 is advertisement for Source 2. Hell, they're starting to threaten Twitch with all their stream features. One click 1080p livestreaming your game and giving your audience the ability to go to different timestamps while the stream is progressing? Shit is cray. Two of the top Twitch games for streaming are running on Steam and owned by Valve.

There's also the hidden cost. For almost all of last year, Valve has fallen into near total silence. Every month you'd see people going "what the fuck is Valve doing"? Well, this is what they were doing.

But it's a thing we're used to already given the biannual patch cycles. The League community would RIOT if Riot dropped off the grid for an entire year. And if they did their customary "let's keep the community up to date", they'll just get second guessed every step of the way. They backed themselves into a corner by being so hands-on that being hands-off would come as a kind of betrayal.

I'm drunk and ranting so excuse the mess.
ZDsxCCG.gif

(I fucking love Naga man you don't even know. Nami a SHIT)

Making new shit for League must be a goddamn nightmare considering the game has to run on toasters

I'd love all the bells and whistles like Dota gets but all I wish was a champion/skin store that didn't work like a shitty mobile IAP page

Newt

The big thing is that Riot has no major reason to totally overhaul the game. Their audience is hooked, they're still the most accessible MOBA on the market (with HOTS' late adopter status being an insurmountable obstacle), what reason do they have to revamp LoL?

Dota2r (which is what I'm nicknaming this) is a showcase for Source 2 and all the new experimental features Valve plans to make widely available to all Valve published games or games on the new Source 2 engine. Just like Dota 2 ver 1.0 was advertisement for Steam and Source, Dota 2 ver 2.0 is advertisement for Source 2. Hell, they're starting to threaten Twitch with all their stream features. One click 1080p livestreaming your game and giving your audience the ability to go to different timestamps while the stream is progressing? Shit is cray. Two of the top Twitch games for streaming are running on Steam and owned by Valve.

There's also the hidden cost. For almost all of last year, Valve has fallen into near total silence. Every month you'd see people going "what the fuck is Valve doing"? Well, this is what they were doing.

But it's a thing we're used to already given the biannual patch cycles. The League community would RIOT if Riot dropped off the grid for an entire year. And if they did their customary "let's keep the community up to date", they'll just get second guessed every step of the way. They backed themselves into a corner by being so hands-on that being hands-off would come as a kind of betrayal.

ZDsxCCG.gif

I agree Nami is goddamn shit.

all that said, I look forward to Leeg upgrading their in-game spectating features. It's been years. I should be able to watch LCS games in my game client and hear the casters talk. I should be able to see casters moving the camera around or see players mouse and camera movements. That shit's been in Dota for what? 3 years now? Let's pick up the pace, Riot. They should not be beholden to Twitch in order to serve content to its community.

Making new shit for League must be a goddamn nightmare considering the game has to run on toasters

I'd love all the bells and whistles like Dota gets but all I wish was a champion/skin store that didn't work like a shitty mobile IAP page

you should also wish for better, more robust spectating options. but yea, a better store experience would be nice too. having "Riot points" instead of a cash price for items is so 2012.

zkylon

zkylewd
only truth is that nami is the best

ok now come at me doters :>

My guess is 2 things:

1. LoL is currently made out of spaghetti code that makes everything difficult to code and program in game. When one thing gets fixed, another might become broken and so one. The only way to get rid of that would to do a full on code overhaul, but there's no telling how long that would take.
this is true, to a degree

im a programmer (among other things >:3) and while i obviously haven't taken a look at riot's code, i can for sure tell u that different parts of the "game" are segmented in ways that you can replace something without having to replace everything

specifically the client should be pretty easy to redo without having to look too hard at the actual client (barring some really hard to believe stuff).

you don't have to replace ALL the code, programs are modular and you can replace just one part if others aren't too dependent on each other, which they shouldn't considering this is a videogame and that's how videogames are made

like riot's code might be super hacky but i doubt this is the real issue for the client. for other things like fixing some gameplay issues (invisible skillshots, ppl showing up randomly on the minimap, shop slowdowns, etc.) that's probably true tho

2. Lack of direction as a company. IMO Riot feels very unfocused in what kinds of big jobs they want to do before the next year. Focusing on one thing at a time and using resources on that would get many major issues fixed.
i'm not sure about this, saying "focusing on one thing at a time" is just not knowing how game development works.

easy example, imagine riot has 100 employees, 25 of them are programmers, 25 designers, 25 content makers (graphics/sound) and 25 are qa. so you say let's focus on fixing syndra, or fixing skillshots, or whatever. 25 programmers and 25 qa will be fine with that, but what do you do with the other 50 ppl? you're not gonna have a concept artist work on bugfixing, so they either sit idle waiting for something to do, or you have them make skins/new champions/etc. in the mean time.

and then you have to grab every group and think they have specialties. not all programmers know how to do real time 3d games programming, some of them might be user interface programmers, some of them might be database programmers, etc. similarly you can't ask a character artist to draw backgrounds and viceversa

so you need multiple projects to keep all your employees occupied if you don't want them to waste their time, and like, riot's constantly fixing and upgrading their game, and they're constantly upping the ante on their esports thing.

that's the high-level focus imo

considering that, as a whole, with exceptions obviously, the game slowly gets better and better, and that competitive has been lately a lot more exciting, i'd say it's working

They don't really do events anymore, LCS is probably managed by something that isn't the dev team, patches are....well they're not that great. Case in point-Cait and Jayce getting broke this patch cycle, Syndra being broken, and having to constantly patch up and down.
i mean, the pool party thing is an event? there's always events for like shurima thing and holidays and stuff

"having to constantly patch" is just your warped way of seeing it, riot has a different patching philosophy than valve, they like patching often, while valve does not. i think both companies should learn from the other, with riot jumping the gun on things that are unneeded (like the lizzy nerfs). i can't talk much about valve since i dont play doto but i've heard being abandoned in radio silence for times (and i can relate considering i used to be a half life fan) sounds pretty bad...

New map and new UI....

....It's their philosophy. They drip feed things, little by little. What was it, new map, then they slowly did the texture character updates little by little, now we're getting a new UI after 4 years(And after the godawful moving of the buffs to the left side.)
i'm confused why this is a problem?

gargantuan games like these are hard to overhaul entirely, specially when the playerbase is so big that any chance you have to do requires a shit ton of testing. whenever sometimes comes out buggy like a champion spell you can find out about it 10 minutes later in reddit, imagine the shit storm if they made a buggy client or whatever.

so they take it slow, i don't see how that's bad since it's not like you don't see the changes. the client itself has been slowly being improved too, with new interface in many places, new launcher, the facebook thing, etc.

They just drip feed. DotA in comparison, has no PBE, they don't constantly patch, and they're barely remaking the map and overhauling the graphics/Client. And that games been out less than League(Officially atleast).
this is just a misconception i think you have because you (willingly or unwillingly) ignore the context

doto is a game developed by a veteran company based on a tried and tested engine by a company that essentially has infinite money.

league was developed by essentially modders (correct me here if im wrong cos i don't have perfect riot history) that hacked whatever worked and were making champions based on what sounded cool (as displayed in the teemo devblog thingie) on a way smaller budget than doto's

fast forward a couple years and yeah, rito has more money than they know what to do with, but that doesn't mean they have it easy. it's again the problem of super huge game built on spaghetti code. fixing something takes forever and overhauling stuff is a big gamble because of the huge playerbase

doto can get away with these things because it was much more sensibly coded, and also because they have nowhere near as many players to test for. makes it easier and less time consuming to do bigger patches

so it's not necessarily that riot is slow (although they most def are), it's also that they're kind of fucked in that for sure it'll take super long for them to do anything because the whole playerbase+everything coded as minions issue

This is what I can say, the different between the two-
League constantly drips 'content'. This creates the psychological effect of 'Wow this is practically new!' every patch cycle. It makes you feel like you're getting something updated content when it's just a few numbers moved around. The only major overhauls they seem to do that they really sit on, for the last few years, are the jungle changes. We've had how many machetes and how many lanterns and how many different buffs through the jungle?

DotA on the other hand, let's things sit for a while. Their patch cycles are about...5-6 times longer than League. These patches are also more beefy and more positive for the game overall. The last patch they had, they fundamentally changed alot of the things in the game, added new items, shifted everything around. Granted Riot DOES do a big patch before every new season, BUT, for the last few years it seems to be mostly 'jungle' patches. I mean, the jungles constantly been changing more than the actual meta.
this is untrue and really shows you have little knowledge of the changes riot does to the game, which is why i find it really weird you're so quick to jump the gun and throw riot under the bus for things you don't know about

two seasons ago riot grabbed supports and vision in the game and changed it completely and 100% fixed support and made vision more fun and engaging for everyone. i think it was last season that they had some big adc changes that, while some ppl hated, i thought they were super on-point on many things, even tho it wasn't as great as the support changes. this season they didn't really fix the jungle but they added a ton of interesting things that really changed up and improved the game, like how dragon and baron work now and scuttle crab's gameplay too. not all the reworks were as good as sion's, but lots of other good ones, like ashe, viktor, lucian...

sadly junglers aren't really fixed, but the other changes did work and weren't just "practically new"

It's the difference in Philosophy, I suppose. Riot is very 'hands on', constantly changing things that don't meet their expectations, instead of letting something sit and simmer. This is why Hecarim might be completely OP for a few patches, or now Ryze is completely OP until his upcoming nerf. Valve on the other hand, let's things sit.

...Basically Riot keeps taking out that chicken from the oven before it's time, and Valve lets it actually cook.
might be true. i enjoy the constant patching by riot, but i wouldn't mind two more weeks between patches for more stable releases

This is probably why the overhaul for league took a long ass times(I remember in what, 2011 there were whisperings of a texture update coming out? And it took a full 3-4 years for it to come out?
this is untrue, there was a texture update for the map i think in 2012? i forget exactly when, but it made the map look better. nowhere near as pretty as now, but it didn't take them 4 years to update the map

Because they constantly keep releasing skins and changing things around. Valve meanwhile has a mostly hands-off philosophy on their cosmetics, since players can 'vote in' through their workshop model, and they tend to release sparse updates of cosmetics.
skins have nothing to do with a new client as i've explained tomshoe already

also valve's cosmetics are boring af so i'd 100% absolutely sure dead certain rather have riot's way of doing skins

....In other words, Riot has a fast cycle of things, that gives them little time to do big things in between those cycles. Valve takes a much longer cycle, leaving them alot of time to do big things when they do eventually come out.

Boy this came out to be a rant.

same as the skins thing

you can have programmers do patches and programmers do client rework

riot is a huge company with huge teams working on different projects in parallel

what you're saying is just untrue

The spaghetti code...that's one way to put it. They definitely suffer from it, and the way I see it the UI changes, the upgraded textures, the new map...they're building it all on top of the code they have. Sooner or later it'll collapse on itself. They have mentioned that they're slowly going back and making the old code up to date, but that ceiling will soon be reached where they can't change it anymore without building a new engine.

And fuck the air client.
dude, you don't really know how games programming works

the way riot is most likely doing this, is they have the game segmented in different modules: ui, gameplay, rendering, sound, client, io, data transfer, the riot api, etc. etc.

so like, you can just grab one noodly module, throw it away, then rework it and reattach it to the rest of the spaghetti world. one by one they replace them.

i'm pretty sure they've done this the first time they redid the ui, and same when they changed the sound system, etc.

i promise you league of legends won't collapse on itself lol

give riot some credit

What's stopping them from making a better client though?

For months (and years) people have been bitchin on reddit about how shit the client is (and rightfully so).

You'd think that the number 1 most popular game in the world could at least develop a new and improved client.

Didn't astralfoxy, one guy, get hired by Riot AND develop their own version of the client?

I mean, come on. There are so many glaring issues. Lack of a logout button, runes are buggy as fuck, and settings are saved locally and not per account? What?
the big problem is that one guy didn't develope their own version of the client, they probably just hacked around riot's existing one, which isn't really a long-term solution

think of it like the riot api situation. lolking, etc. used to scrap data from games which caused extra hog on riot servers. yeah, some sites had like cool match history before riot api, but it was a hacky way which isn't great. riot made the api and now there's tons of new sites and everyone's happy

client is the same, they hired the guy cos he might have some good ideas for design and code, but they won't just replace their mess for someone else's

But how do the guys over at Valve do it so easily? The magic of the Source engine?
valve had foresight, riot did not

so it's easier to do overhauls/fixes

i've used source a lot and it's honestly garbage. xD

valve was good about future proofing stuff and riot didn't have the luxury to when the game was originally developed.
yeah, it's actually kind of funny to hear praises for source lol

who doesn't love massive loading screens!

The one thing they need to do is stop the whole 'let the whole company decide what to do' next. Get some proper management, get some goals. Not just vote on the next thing to do.
are you seriously saying this

and then praising VALVE of all companies

VALVE

ZDsxCCG.gif

i agree until the riot part

like always you don't have to go to the valve extreme of making a fucking cult of personality out of your big designer and making him a silent god that hands out patches when the community deserves it (100% non hyperbole)

riot has been pretty quiet about replays and the new client, for instance, and while ppl whine about it every now and then, it's not like people are torching down rito hq

a good example would be the east coast servers for america. americans complained about it a lot, riot came up with a plan in a devblog, posted updates i think twice and i haven't seen many reddit threads complaining about it since. bare minimum communication is good and effective, there's no need to be secretive and there's no need to tell ppl every step of the way

i don't think they've backed themselves into a corner, they just need to hurry the fuck up on features like replays and the client that are taking longer than they should

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, it's amazing how well it runs on my computer when i literally have no videocard

yeah that's what i want as well

watching competitive games from the client or having guides to read in the client is worthless to me, sounds nice but i don't really care

you should also wish for better, more robust spectating options. but yea, a better store experience would be nice too. having "Riot points" instead of a cash price for items is so 2012.
totally for the last part

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Integrated graphics are good now a days. Hopefully Rito keeps bumping up what they can do in accordance.
only truth is that nami is the best

ok now come at me doters :>
Well nami can't become
ResidentSleeper.png
incarnate and farm jungle + 2 lanes at once with a 1100 range 45s aoe stasis and 34s CD global TP with 5 illusions and sunfire cape x3

sick.gif

faridmon

I really like how Riot is handling Lol. These weekly incriminate additions and fixes goes a long way and all adds up to overhaul the game bit by bit. Also, they listen to feedbacks about champs which I respect. Their support for big matches as well is pretty admirable.

I rather have small, slow changes than one big overhaul.

zkylon

zkylewd
what i like a lot about doto's new client and something i would like riot to take a clue out of is how it's focused on champions

like you have the hero section and you have your champion builds for everyone and skins for everyone and all that

riot could do something similar and add the option to have like runes and masteries for every champion. you go to lux, create a mastery page for her and you can set that also as global and any other champion can use it too, etc. similarly for skins, if you want to buy a skin instead of going to the shop you just go to lux, pick madoka lux and buy it

i find that approach to be a lot better and more streamlined which is the kind of thing i want out of a client

Riot sucks but Leeg is good so w/e

in a nutshell

i mean, the pool party thing is an event? there's always events for like shurima thing and holidays and stuff

"having to constantly patch" is just your warped way of seeing it, riot has a different patching philosophy than valve, they like patching often, while valve does not. i think both companies should learn from the other, with riot jumping the gun on things that are unneeded (like the lizzy nerfs). i can't talk much about valve since i dont play doto but i've heard being abandoned in radio silence for times (and i can relate considering i used to be a half life fan) sounds pretty bad...

I thought you meant like, tournament events other than LCS~

this is untrue and really shows you have little knowledge of the changes riot does to the game, which is why i find it really weird you're so quick to jump the gun and throw riot under the bus for things you don't know about

two seasons ago riot grabbed supports and vision in the game and changed it completely and 100% fixed support and made vision more fun and engaging for everyone. i think it was last season that they had some big adc changes that, while some ppl hated, i thought they were super on-point on many things, even tho it wasn't as great as the support changes. this season they didn't really fix the jungle but they added a ton of interesting things that really changed up and improved the game, like how dragon and baron work now and scuttle crab's gameplay too. not all the reworks were as good as sion's, but lots of other good ones, like ashe, viktor, lucian...

sadly junglers aren't really fixed, but the other changes did work and weren't just "practically new"

this is untrue, there was a texture update for the map i think in 2012? i forget exactly when, but it made the map look better. nowhere near as pretty as now, but it didn't take them 4 years to update the map

It's not untrue~ Riot always has the big patch before the new season, and they usually end up changing jungle along with whatever else they see fit. And they made vision more 'fun' for the support, because before supports were just ward mules.

are you seriously saying this

and then praising VALVE of all companies

the dota group is really focused on what they're doing.

I was talking about the 'leaked' champion texture update from...5 years ago. back when magma chamber was a thing-
http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-incredible-new-art-style/

dude, you don't really know how games programming works

the way riot is most likely doing this, is they have the game segmented in different modules: ui, gameplay, rendering, sound, client, io, data transfer, the riot api, etc. etc.

so like, you can just grab one noodly module, throw it away, then rework it and reattach it to the rest of the spaghetti world. one by one they replace them.

i'm pretty sure they've done this the first time they redid the ui, and same when they changed the sound system, etc.

i promise you league of legends won't collapse on itself lol

give riot some credit

meanwhile caitlyns still broke

jayce was broken but they fixed him

last patch I'm sure someone else was broken too, I dun remember

Then a couple weeks back the client was broke

a couple week backs from that you had the constantly DCing from the client

oh and syndra is still broken

b-r-o-k-e-n client
b-r-o-k-e-n engine

Tizoc

It's been back and forth in my ranked games. Currently sitting on 50-60 LP.
These recent matches are like a foreboding of what to expect in Silver :p

killatopak

Gold Member
50% of the riot skin appeal comes from the splash art at least personally for me. IIRC dota doesn't have splash arts.

I want riot to make the custom item builds to be available client side and not locally. Sucks when I play outside.

50% of the riot skin appeal comes from the splash art at least personally for me. IIRC dota doesn't have splash arts.

I want riot to make the custom item builds to be available client side and not locally. Sucks when I play outside.
Dota has full screen splash arts, rather than just being limited to the champ card as the match loads.

Leezard

Dota has full screen splash arts, rather than just being limited to the champ card as the match loads.

You have the full splash arts if you go to the "champions" tab under your profile too.

Skins/cosmetic item sets in Dota do not have separate splash art though, correct? That's what I took Killatopak's comment to mean.

You have the full splash arts if you go to the "champions" tab under your profile too.

Skins/cosmetic item sets in Dota do not have separate splash art though, correct? That's what I took Killatopak's comment to mean.
Most new sets have full screen splash art that come with them which you can equip in the loadout screen. This has been the standard for...maybe a year or so. I have about 100 of them.

V_Arnold

So much crazy engine talk in this thread.

Folks, whether the engine is on Source or is a custom-built does not matter.
What matters is how the game logic is stored, handled, and how it is capable of being upgraded.

If you make a game, even if it is the caliber of LoL (player-number wise), using a versatile engine does hold NO advantage when it comes to using LoL's specific needs. You can build a custom engine to LoL's gameplay, and, naturally, unable to build a different game on that engine, but that has nothing to do with how many bugs or how good of a performance it will have.

Based on the strange bugs that appear lately and the hoops they have to go through whenever touching hitboxes and adding new stuff to the game, it looks like that their game logic system really was not built with extensibility in mind. And THAT is the problem, not the graphics part of the engine, source or no source.

They are most likely alerady working on a whole revamp of the internal engine (that handles damages, movements, hitboxes, everything related to that), but, as someone here wrote correctly, every time the new champions bring some new stuff to the table, they will have to adjust too. Which should not be a big issue if the focus truly is to build a new engine that is able to rapidly gain and test new abilities and modify existing ones.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought you meant like, tournament events other than LCS~
well in that case you have worlds every year, msi, and then the few non-riot hosted tournaments like iem, lpl and lck and the other non-lcs regions

would be nice to have more tournaments tho, but i guess it's difficult since teams in every region play every week, lcs or not

It's not untrue~ Riot always has the big patch before the new season, and they usually end up changing jungle along with whatever else they see fit. And they made vision more 'fun' for the support, because before supports were just ward mules.
it's untrue or disingenous if you want to say the only change the jungle

they made vision more fun for everyone by adding trinkets which have cool new gameplay for everyone

they made support fun by adding cool item lines and cool items for them to build as well as opening up the support pool a whole lot through balancing, making it arguably the healthiest class in the game

pretty much every support is viable right now

the dota group is really focused on what they're doing.
good for them

I was talking about the 'leaked' champion texture update from...5 years ago. back when magma chamber was a thing-
http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-incredible-new-art-style/
no idea what this is, happened 5 years ago and it's not clear to me if it's true or just some random leak which you can't really hold riot accountable for

either way it's kind of hilarious if that looked like a big upgrade at one point lol

also instead of doing one big upgrade riot did a ton of smaller ones over the years and the game looks way better so not sure what are we complaining about?

meanwhile caitlyns still broke

jayce was broken but they fixed him

last patch I'm sure someone else was broken too, I dun remember

Then a couple weeks back the client was broke

a couple week backs from that you had the constantly DCing from the client

oh and syndra is still broken
yes, a couple bugs on the biggest game in the world

not quite the catastrophic apocalypse you're presenting of the bugs piling on so hard that the game falls over on itself

didn't know that, that's awesome (also incorrect about league but you already got corrected on that :p)

do you got any examples?

want to look at prettinesssss

So much crazy engine talk in this thread.

Folks, whether the engine is on Source or is a custom-built does not matter.
What matters is how the game logic is stored, handled, and how it is capable of being upgraded.

If you make a game, even if it is the caliber of LoL (player-number wise), using a versatile engine does hold NO advantage when it comes to using LoL's specific needs. You can build a custom engine to LoL's gameplay, and, naturally, unable to build a different game on that engine, but that has nothing to do with how many bugs or how good of a performance it will have.

Based on the strange bugs that appear lately and the hoops they have to go through whenever touching hitboxes and adding new stuff to the game, it looks like that their game logic system really was not built with extensibility in mind. And THAT is the problem, not the graphics part of the engine, source or no source.

They are most likely alerady working on a whole revamp of the internal engine (that handles damages, movements, hitboxes, everything related to that), but, as someone here wrote correctly, every time the new champions bring some new stuff to the table, they will have to adjust too. Which should not be a big issue if the focus truly is to build a new engine that is able to rapidly gain and test new abilities and modify existing ones.
pretty much

ppl keep saying "riot had much more time than valve why does riot take too long"

well there's the beauty of foresight and having a huge budget while developing the game vs having the huge budget afterwards

league wasn't developed in the bestest of ways and so everything takes forever

that being said tho, the client is really one thing that could be done way faster as it's a separate application from the main engine.

like, replays i can forgive cos between the immense playerbase and the complexity of making it work across many patches in this broken ass engine, it sounds like a logistical nightmare, but the client sounds like it should be fairly easy to develop

TomShoe

Banned
yeah just saw a features video for the dota 2 revamp

I must say that playing LoL right now for me is like having a soulmate who's also addicted to heroin. You love her, but you don't want to be associated with her because there are so many off putting things about her. Deep down, you know the woman you love is still there, but it's buried belief this whole mess that it's getting harder and harder to see everyday. Eventually, everything just builds up to become too much, and the temptation is getting stronger and stronger to leave until she gets her act together. Maybe you won't come back at all. Who knows. There's another nice girl you've been talking to for awhile now and she's very successful and put together. Maybe you two can give it a shot. Even though the instant connection isn't quite there yet, maybe you two can learn to love.

but that's just imho minho

Pretty neato is demo mode not being a lobby thing you reload in and out of: http://cdn.dota2.com/apps/dota2/videos/reborn/day1/DemoHero.webm
I wanna muck around with Bard / Ekko :(

I don't think that's a real argument if you have over 1000 employees and are making over $1,000,000,000 a year.

I'm not saying they're still a small company, they just aren't run like they have the biggest game in the world because they grew so quickly. Breezy is right, they have no managerial direction

Edit: new client stuff is nice, and there's no excuse to have a shifty one like League does, but I've never understood the temptation to switch just because the client isn't up to snuff. Like, I play league because I like league, and I don't play dota becauseI don't like dota. The client doesn't change much for me.

killatopak

Gold Member
Most new sets have full screen splash art that come with them which you can equip in the loadout screen. This has been the standard for...maybe a year or so. I have about 100 of them.

Haven't played Dota 2 for a year or so lol. And my play time is super brief too because I was so used to OG Dota that I had a hard time transitioning to the new map.

What's really cool though is that you can see the in-game model while in champ select in Dota 2. I wish it was possible in LoL.

zkylon

zkylewd
i dont think anyone will switch to doto because it has a new client lol

it's nice but in the end who gives a shit lol

also like i still wish i knew where all these rumors of riot not being run like a big company come from

isn't it completely the way big companies work to be slow and beaurocratic as fuck

Haven't played Dota 2 for a year or so lol. And my play time is super brief too because I was so used to OG Dota that I had a hard time transitioning to the new map.

What's really cool though is that you can see the in-game model while in champ select in Dota 2. I wish it was possible in LoL.
really? i much prefer the sexy splash art

in fact not having cool splash arts was like a big turn off in doto when trying to find a doto champion i liked

they do look super cool in the new client tho, like the big turntable thing

killatopak

Gold Member
really? i much prefer the sexy splash art

in fact not having cool splash arts was like a big turn off in doto when trying to find a doto champion i liked

they do look super cool in the new client tho, like the big turntable thing

I kinda want both. xD

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i want both too <3

i wish league models were high res enough that they would look good on that turntable thing

i guess they could use higher res versions for the turntable things since all the characters are still like high res zbrush sculpts

Arrage

Banned
Where are those Rioters who keep buzzing around reddit all day long? There is no surprise that PR people aren't interested in sharing anything with community, whether they are planning to deploy a new client or not.

Replays are one of the easiest things to make. All the game needs to do is to save the game file and have it available from the client. A third party replay system is more than three years old already, so there is that... And for the bandwidth and storage, LoLReplays website says that its just a few Mbs per game, so saving 4Mbs per match is not too heavy. I would assume that replays would be deleted with the match history unless saved by user.

TomShoe, love your analogy. At this point, I am too tired of girl's mess and there is no sign of redemption.

Spectator experience is still fine, like EU LCS (Except for quickshot). NA is a bit of the mess and half of the game involve shit teams that have no prospects. Overall, teams failing at basics in NA LCS makes it less interesting to watch. Champions a bit too much SKT dominance, China is fine.

zkylon

zkylewd
Replays are one of the easiest things to make. All the game needs to do is to save the game file and have it available from the client. A third party replay system is more than three years old already, so there is that... And for the bandwidth and storage, LoLReplays website says that its just a few Mbs per game, so saving 4Mbs per match is not too heavy. I would assume that replays would be deleted with the match history unless saved by user.
lolreplays hasn't worked properly for years

many issues of the replay programs:
- 3rd party install
- lolreplays site has taken forever to load for as long as i've known it
- replays often don't work
- replays stop working after a patch on most programs except lsi
- in lsi's case, for replays from an older patch to work you have to download around 15gbs of an older version of the game or something insane like that
- sharing a replay with a friend is pretty bad, and it almost never works
- user interface is awful
- sites for these programs are awful
- many of these programs are resource hogs
- baronreplays is in broken english
- lsi has ads
- the op.gg recorder thing only works in some regions

edit: btw i duno about 4mbs, baron replays and lsi's are 15~mb and i just checked and had like 3gigs worth of very-annoying-to-delete-from-the-program replays

Fracas

#fuckonami
I love League but yeah, there is a LOT to improve and fix in its infrastructure.

The ping issue is my biggest gripe. Really bad here in Kentucky.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
yeah, it's actually kind of funny to hear praises for source lol

who doesn't love massive loading screens!
i'm specifically speaking on source as a dev tool. there is a reason basically nobody but valve used it.

it sucks running the grubby league client, not having access to replays, having limited to no options for streamers/spectate features in game. dota 2 is so far ahead of riot here and i don't see riot catching up anytime soon. makes me sad.

this is not to say there has not been meaningful change to league. between the visual overhaul and stuff like the in game ui changes it is a different game than even not that long ago. i hate the client ui though, and the reworked pieces inside of it like the match history and the new champion layout feel bizarre and awkwardly placed into the air client.

killatopak

Gold Member
Eh

Too many of you guys complaining about out of the game stuff while here I am fully enjoying the game itself as it is supposed to be. There's very little reason for me to change games just because of ui or client imperfections. Besides I'm already too invested in LoL to do so. Also most of my friends play LoL so it's better socially.

The only reason for me to jump ship to HOTs is if I'm a huge Blizzard fan boy and in Dota 2 is if I want to relieve my past 6 years of Dota 1.

I'll never leave my baby

V_Arnold

Yeah, when I read stuff like heroin-addict girlfriend === lol's interface, I am like WHAT.
Yeah, dc-ing from client SUCKS. But the game is so fun otherwise.

Anything else is okay.

Also most of my friends play LoL so it's better socially.
I am the same way, my friends got me into league so now I don't want to leave.

Talking about riot and all that jazz.
When I first saw the bug splat thing for reporting bugs. I thought I got a virus.
It just seemed so out of place.

Thats an apt comparison

League is that heroin addicted lover who you stay with despite all its issues. Even when you have a supermodel and cute nerdy chick trying to woo you, you end up ignoring them.

zkylon

zkylewd
your metaphor is assuming hots and doto are better than league

lets not get into this shit pls

here

lets have a cute diana

YYrMSVJ0dZqdNaw0

look how cute diana is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom