• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a matter of overestimating how many people play the game but how many play 5 man premades on a regular basis, specially on weekdays.

Hell, the idea of having around 11 million 5 man premade games over a single week is naive at best.

Riot knows exactly how many people do 5-mans in a given week. They have numbers for this. It's overestimating.

Either that or they purposely set the bar too high knowing nobody would achieve this, because Riot is doing something Riot has never done-Offer a bunch of discounts and give out free things that would make them lose money, for free. Not to be cynical or anything, but these rewards are far better than the ones offered to OCE, especially since OCE servers came out more recently than the NA servers. So for OCE, the free things they get are things to create value and to attach someone to the game-"Oh I got these free things! I'll keep playing and likely spend money on the game!"

For NA there is no incentive on Riots part to do this, because Riot would just be losing money. Take Pool Party Mundo for free, that's about 750 rp. If we assume that about what...I'll be conservative and say there's 10 million active players on League at a monthly basis, they're set to lose a potential 50 million dollars or so from people buying the skin.

I mean, I'm a cynical person. Everyone in this thread should know that I dislike Riot for what they do. This is no different, they know how many people plays their game, and they most likely have info at how many premade games there are throughout a given day, week, month. They set the bar too damn high.

Well this is interesting-
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...iot_has_had_severe_management_and_leadership/

So just on the first page of reviews,all the reviews are positive, but management is cited as an issue in progressing through creative ideas. Which I mean, maybe it's confirmation bias on my part but..I said the exact thing a while ago.

Reddit has just been a shitshow the past 12 or so hours.

It's hilarious to see all the GAF-esque hyperbole on there.

Well this is interesting-
http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueofleg...iot_has_had_severe_management_and_leadership/

So just on the first page of reviews,all the reviews are positive, but management is cited as an issue in progressing through creative ideas. Which I mean, maybe it's confirmation bias on my part but..I said the exact thing a while ago.

Seems to me that the issues with the work environment are kind of like how people talk about Valve. Sucks about the management though, as they always seemed like a cool company to work for.

Seems to me that the issues with the work environment are kind of like how people talk about Valve. Sucks about the management though, as they always seemed like a cool company to work for.

Management is probably great I reckon. That's the issue-there's probably a 'relaxed' environment at Riot where unless you make an incredible fuck up(The last times I heard of a *Public* firing was when that guy leaked 2 skins while under NDA and the rioter who abused his power and banned people for making him angry), there's probably no real incentive to complete projects. If it's too lax, I can see how people would take their time on projects or hop around different projects leading to alot of abandoned ideas.

The whole Dota thing.

People were absolutely slamming Riot and saying that the game was going to die, etc.

Well, between the Heroes of the Storm event and DotA Reborn, League definitely has to step it up. That's just my thoughts on it...like, when you compare the Pool Party event to DotA Reborn and HotS Eternal Conflict events, it's obvious which one has the least effort put into it.

Well, between the Heroes of the Storm event and DotA Reborn, League definitely has to step it up. That's just my thoughts on it...like, when you compare the Pool Party event to DotA Reborn and HotS Eternal Conflict events, it's obvious which one has the least effort put into it.

what is the point of a post like this. Of course they're on another level.

They're completely incomparable initiatives. One is a fun week/weekend thing to get people playing some 5 mans/gift stuff, one is a complete relaunch of a game and one is a big content release for a new game

they're literally incomparable. Of course one has less effort put in

zzzz these posts are the worst

what is the point of a post like this. Of course they're on another level.

They're completely incomparable initiatives. One is a fun week/weekend thing to get people playing some 5 mans/gift stuff, one is a complete relaunch of a game and one is a big content release for a new game

they're literally incomparable. Of course one has less effort put in

zzzz these posts are the worst

This is presumably Riots big Summer event though. Maybe we'll get a new game mode in the coming months, but until the end of the season, there's not much to look forward to.

Kenai

This is presumably Riots big Summer event though. Maybe we'll get a new game mode in the coming months, but until the end of the season, there's not much to look forward to.

This isn't meant to be a big event, just something to do period.

i can understand (to an extent) wanting them to do more than they are, but they weren't exactly presenting this as something akin to a game launch (or relaunch)..

Einbroch

Banned
Riot is obviously testing the waters with this event. This is a much smaller scale compendium from Dota 2. Do [activity], earn rewards for the community.

If people respond to this, they'll expand.

People are forgetting that Riot moved a grand majority of their employees to a new office like a month ago. This is probably the first "bigish" thing they've done since the move.

Basically, hold your horses. Or quit. That'll send the biggest message.

Riot is obviously testing the waters with this event. This is a much smaller scale compendium from Dota 2. Do [activity], earn rewards for the community.

If people respond to this, they'll expand.

People are forgetting that Riot moved a grand majority of their employees to a new office like a month ago. This is probably the first "bigish" thing they've done since the move.

Basically, hold your horses. Or quit. That'll send the biggest message.

Compendium is just much better and when Valve 'tested' the waters with it, it was better formulated @_@ It's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Einbroch

Banned
Compendium is just much better and when Valve 'tested' the waters with it, it was better formulated @_@ It's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Then quit and play Dota 2.

Seriously, they know, and constantly bringing up how "shitty" they are isn't accomplishing anything.

Game is stale, so I play like one night every couple weeks. I haven't bought a skin in like two months. The draw isn't there, so I don't play, and they don't get my money. That's the best thing you can do. Complaining about something on a message board they maybe one Rioter visits like once a year isn't going to do anything and in fact just makes you look whiny.

Again, I think the game is super stale, but I don't bitch about it constantly. I just don't play. Sorry if this is rude or whatever, but it gets really, really old seeing the same complaints from the same people about a free-to-play game that you can simply walk away from.

not really?

this is the compendium 2013

it's an ip boost equivalent, token items and one item set. It's practically the same as Riot's event, just centred around esports and with the extra of the prize pool for The International. It was a unique thing they did and a great idea for them at the time.

The only difference in scale between the two events is the prize pool aspect, which Riot has been against for some time and there is merit to their reasoning.

Your selective memory with this stuff is really tarnishing any reasonable point you're trying to make.

And you complaining about an unfair comparison after your earlier event comparison is pretty laughable.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Seriously, they know, and constantly bringing up how "shitty" they are isn't accomplishing anything.

Game is stale, so I play like one night every couple weeks. I haven't bought a skin in like two months. The draw isn't there, so I don't play, and they don't get my money. That's the best thing you can do. Complaining about something on a message board they maybe one Rioter visits like once a year isn't going to do anything and in fact just makes you look whiny.

Again, I think the game is super stale, but I don't bitch about it constantly. I just don't play. Sorry if this is rude or whatever, but it gets really, really old seeing the same complaints from the same people about a free-to-play game that you can simply walk away from.

I've bought too many skins to walk away! D:

not really?

this is the compendium 2013

it's an ip boost equivalent, token items and one item set. It's practically the same as Riot's event, just centred around esports and with the extra of the prize pool for The International. It was a unique thing they did and a great idea for them at the time.

The only difference in scale between the two events is the prize pool aspect, which Riot has been against for some time and there is merit to their reasoning.

Your selective memory with this stuff is really tarnishing any reasonable point you're trying to make.

And you complaining about an unfair comparison after your earlier event comparison is pretty laughable.

It's a bunch of token items. There is alot more in that compendium from 2013 than Riots pool party.

The reason why I compared DotA Reborn and Eternal Conflic over Compendium, is because those 3 things are going on right now. Someone else brought up the Compendium, which is why I discussed it.

It's a discussion that's evolved from my initial post today. If you don't want to have that discussion, you're free to not respond. It's how discussions work on forums, I reckon. And hey, I like League which is why I'm having this discussion, sorry I'm not all suck-up towards it.

There's a massive difference between the compendium and some silly summertime community event, lol.

not between the first compendium and this event in terms of what was offered. The compendium has really grown since then into something fantastic, but the original one was small in scope in terms of what it offered.

I would imagine it's the same for Riot events like this. Small event to test it out, big event when they've got the formula figured out.

Einbroch

Banned
It's a discussion that's evolved from my initial post today. If you don't want to have that discussion, you're free to not respond. It's how discussions work on forums, I reckon. And hey, I like League which is why I'm having this discussion, sorry I'm not all suck-up towards it.

Of course you're free to discuss whatever you want, just as I'm free to respond to it.

Please, if you've read my post history in these threads you'll see I'm plenty critical of League, especially the way Riot handles it.

I'm just saying that it seems every time I pop into this thread you're talking about how much Riot sucks.

not between the first compendium and this event in terms of what was offered. The compendium has really grown since then into something fantastic, but the original one was small in scope in terms of what it offered.

I would imagine it's the same for Riot events like this. Small event to test it out, big event when they've got the formula figured out.

Back then yeah, but nowadays the compendium is a pretty big thing and i think it's unfair to compare the two

Of course you're free to discuss whatever you want, just as I'm free to respond to it.

Please, if you've read my post history in these threads you'll see I'm plenty critical of League, especially the way Riot handles it.

I'm just saying that it seems every time I pop into this thread you're talking about how much Riot sucks.

*Shrug* you hop in the wrong time I reckon. Like I mentioned, I'm cynical of riot. This whole pool party event has left a sour taste in my mouth, to me it's like, set up to fail. Tomorrow when we get the update on the pool party stuff I should be able to formulate a better analysis for the rate of points gotten per day and to see if there's any deviance from the previous days.

Edit-I think I've made a critical mistake in my match. E3 kinda flew over our heads as we were discussing it, so the 3.5 million points earned from teh first day were probably gauged from 9AM-19 AM Monday-Tuesday. We started discussing the points yesterday, and Monday just kinda blurred over for me. Which sets the point to 8 million points over 2 days..

This is the crux of my complaints.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Not to just jump all over you Breezy, but pretty much everything you say in this thread carries the anti-Riot tone to it that becomes pretty boring to read when you make the same point over and over again. We understand that you like League but not Riot. Understandable, though you conveniently ignore aspects to suit your own agenda.

You will never hear me say Riot is perfect or fast or whatever. Full disclosure, I have friends in Riot but I am as critical as anyone else when I don't agree with them over stuff. But I also understand that not every change that people want can be made and made in good time.

My biggest complaint about League has always been the poor out of game experience when it comes to the client. I also understand that a new client for a game this big isn't something that happens overnight. The foundation is so bad that a full rewrite is pretty much necessary, and that's no easy thing to achieve. It's not a case of build a client and release it in a short time, there's invariably a lot to supporting a game of this size while also trying to implement new features. People have this expectation that Riot has to move super quick on everything, but that's probably not possible.

You were talking about Riot having to step up with new events or features and made a poor comparison between different events, conveniently leaving out the fact that Riot recently recreated their map entirely, did work on Twisted Treeline and has a brand new HUD in testing. There's also the fact that Riot's more consistent release schedule means we have far more content coming out much quicker than with most other games, including fortnightly patches. It leads to less big wow moment patches but they're fast and consistent in that regard, not to mention that they're pushing the quality bar of everything they make with every release.

I haven't been playing the game as much recently because I've been absorbed with Final Fantasy and the meta of League right now doesn't really suit my style of play, but I still keep up with everything League.

I don't know I'm rambling now, but my main point is that we get you don't like Riot, even though they're not as bad as you seem to think they are. I'm sick of reading the one-note anti-Riot posts you make.

I sound like an asshole when I post like this and I'll probably get banned again someday but still. Come on dude.

V_Arnold

Riot knows exactly how many people do 5-mans in a given week. They have numbers for this. It's overestimating.

Either that or they purposely set the bar too high knowing nobody would achieve this, because Riot is doing something Riot has never done-Offer a bunch of discounts and give out free things that would make them lose money, for free. Not to be cynical or anything, but these rewards are far better than the ones offered to OCE, especially since OCE servers came out more recently than the NA servers. So for OCE, the free things they get are things to create value and to attach someone to the game-"Oh I got these free things! I'll keep playing and likely spend money on the game!"

For NA there is no incentive on Riots part to do this, because Riot would just be losing money. Take Pool Party Mundo for free, that's about 750 rp. If we assume that about what...I'll be conservative and say there's 10 million active players on League at a monthly basis, they're set to lose a potential 50 million dollars or so from people buying the skin.

I mean, I'm a cynical person. Everyone in this thread should know that I dislike Riot for what they do. This is no different, they know how many people plays their game, and they most likely have info at how many premade games there are throughout a given day, week, month. They set the bar too damn high.

Problem with your thinking is.... do you honestly believe that there would be 10 million sales of a MUNDO skin? 50 million DOLLARS on a mundo skin?

That is impossible.
If they want to taunt us with something we cant have for free, they would have used a Pool Party Vayne skin or a Pool Party Ahri.

This is the crux of my complaints.

----------------------------------------------------------------
*Stuff*

I'll tone it down, then @_@ Save my cynicism for the riot pool party point goals. For me it doesn't help that Riot does little things that well, I just find negative and I want to discuss. Whether it's the goal posts for the event, the comparison to its competitors, whether the patch breaks something, or whether the discussion evolves into something else. I'm hopefully not coming across as 'No you're wrong I'm right', but it's just a discussion I want to have with insight from other people. If it's coming across as extremely negative and oppressive, I'll definitely tone it down.
Problem with your thinking is.... do you honestly believe that there would be 10 million sales of a MUNDO skin? 50 million DOLLARS on a mundo skin?

That is impossible.
If they want to taunt us with something we cant have for free, they would have used a Pool Party Vayne skin or a Pool Party Ahri.

It's a potential, which is why I listed it as such. Maybe there aren't mundo players today, but what if 2 weeks from now he became more popular, and thus those free skins they gave out are potentially lost revenue. It's something that has to be considered when discussing give aways like this.

Nekofrog

Banned
don't tone it down, i want to see a full on internet fist fight

yo breezy riotcosty totally just said something about your mom to me in PMs but i won't say what let's just say it was super gross

zkylon

zkylewd
breezy, feel free to complain about riot as much as you want but know why it annoys ppl

the problem with your posts is that clearly you're not a person that's up-to-date with league and so most of your complaints are kind of unfounded and almost all of them are very inaccurate.

you say things like "Riot is doing something Riot has never done-Offer a bunch of discounts and give out free things that would make them lose money". this is untrue, riot does discounts skins and champions twice a week and has had a few discount weeks every year for a while now. they've even done things like preanounce discounts so ppl can save for when the champion/skin they want is gonna be on sale

"I'll be conservative and say there's 10 million active players on League at a monthly basis". there's 67 million league players every month

"If it's too lax, I can see how people would take their time on projects or hop around different projects leading to alot of abandoned ideas.". this is just weird, there's a shit ton of finished projects in the game, from new game modes to new ui to new map to new champions and skin lines and new items and reworks and system overhauls and whatnot. many of those you list as "should've been right from the first place" but that can't be used as an excuse to remove them from a list of finished shit

"This is presumably Riots big Summer event though. Maybe we'll get a new game mode in the coming months, but until the end of the season, there's not much to look forward to.". there's still harrowing, christmas and who knows which surprise like when azir was released and it was the whole shurima thing.

or like just saying things like valve's management being great while league's unfocused when seriously, fucking steam, man. i get it that mr frogman is like god and shit and doto is the most beautiful thing ever but it's like crazy overreaching

i mean you thought league was unpopular in china lol

like, there's obviously a bottom line that you make that's understandable. yeah, the client sucks. yeah, not having replays suck. and yeah doto has good client and replays and some other shit

but if you intend to have a meaningful discussion try at least to read a bit about what you're talking about

are there any ADCs that can reliably 1v1 ult-form Vayne after BoTRK is online? It's pretty clear after several rounds now that Ashe definitely can't do it.

maybe Quinn? I imagine the blind in particular would come in handy. can't really think of anyone else.

V_Arnold

It's a potential, which is why I listed it as such. Maybe there aren't mundo players today, but what if 2 weeks from now he became more popular, and thus those free skins they gave out are potentially lost revenue. It's something that has to be considered when discussing give aways like this.

And I am pretty sure they are considering that.
However, they can always make new skins for mundo players. So the point is kinda "moot".

are there any ADCs that can reliably 1v1 ult-form Vayne after BoTRK is online? It's pretty clear after several rounds now that Ashe definitely can't do it.

maybe Quinn? I imagine the blind in particular would come in handy. can't really think of anyone else.

Maxed Q +BT minigun Jinx? Trist with Q active?

Zky-I know that they have weekly discounts. What the pool party event is offering is 50% off discounts on all the pool party skins for a week or so, a 'frozen' discounted bundle, and 30% off their physical merchandise. It's a pretty huge discount compared to the random offerings they have each week.

And 67 million players? Probably on a world wide basis, but 67 million free mundos skin. That is some form of revenue lost Even if 1% of those are dedicated Mundo players, and out of that group you only have 50% who purchase the skin, that's still about 300k in lost skin sales which is about 1.5 million revenue. It's a lot.

The new game modes are gone. They're just limited time events. The new UI is coming but no release date. And yeah, new champions and skinlines are their money makers. Reworks and system overhaul are taking a while for a company with 1000 employees. What am I listing as 'should've been right in the first place'? I never said anything like that.

And yeah, I know about the halloween and christmas stuff, but that's after summer. And I when I mention DotAs management, I'm talking about the DotA team primarily, not Valve as a whole. They have their own problems with their projects outside of Steam. And I never said League was unpopular in China, I thought that DotA was bigger in China. Huge difference.

...There is a bottom line I'm making Zky, but you seem to misunderstand it and think I'm saying different things when I'm not.

And I am pretty sure they are considering that.
However, they can always make new skins for mundo players. So the point is kinda "moot".

Mundos actually pretty popular. Since release he's received a yearly new skin, but that stopped in 2013 with Red Orc Mundo until now. To say they can make another skin, they can, but it won't be until next year presumably(Unless he gets another halloween or christmas skin).

Maxed Q +BT minigun Jinx? Trist with Q active?

Well it's an open question. Do Jinx players even go BT first? Would that be enough regen considering the burst damage coming out of Vayne's passive?

And I haven't played Trist since he VU and kit change. I have no idea how she even works now.

So you tell me. Would you feel confident 1v1'ing Vayne with either of these champs with just a BT/Trist Q if she decided to dive you when your support is away warding some distant bush? Only thing I know after getting Ashe to rank 5 is that she can't. At. All.

Quinn is actually a pretty great counter to Vayne. Only issue is that if you get to late game Quinn is shit-on-a-stick.

yea. :(

but she snowballs really well if she has space and can engage on her own terms.

Draven can pretty easily. Unless she lands the E.

noted.

Newt

Draven can pretty easily. Unless she lands the E.

garath

I wouldn't be confident 1v1'ing Vayne as any of the adc champs I play - Ashe, Trist, Jinx, Kalista. Botrk usually wins over IE rush from my experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I've been able to one-shot her with casters like Corki and Graves before.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Nami with swords is a pretty neat hero.

Doing the tutorial stuff for Doto it's neat.

pJPrpx4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom