• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezard

853b37d0fa.jpg
Finally back to D3. It has been a slower rise than last season, probably because we believed in Lucian for far too long after he became kinda bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
Zky-I know that they have weekly discounts. What the pool party event is offering is 50% off discounts on all the pool party skins for a week or so, a 'frozen' discounted bundle, and 30% off their physical merchandise. It's a pretty huge discount compared to the random offerings they have each week.
like i said, they've done other similar sales in the past

iirc they've done 50% off on a different skin every day during last christmas, etc.

And 67 million players? Probably on a world wide basis, but 67 million free mundos skin. That is some form of revenue lost Even if 1% of those are dedicated Mundo players, and out of that group you only have 50% who purchase the skin, that's still about 300k in lost skin sales which is about 1.5 million revenue. It's a lot.
i mean, this promotion doesn't include china which is probably why i was wrong to assume it'd be done super quick

the money they would lose is probably balanced against what they would get from people buying gifts. also league gets new players every day and rito will be able to sell them the mundo skin to them

The new game modes are gone. They're just limited time events. The new UI is coming but no release date. And yeah, new champions and skinlines are their money makers. Reworks and system overhaul are taking a while for a company with 1000 employees. What am I listing as 'should've been right in the first place'? I never said anything like that.
i feel we've talked this a million times

the fact that something makes money for them or isn't announced out of the blue doesn't mean that it isn't finished

riot having "a lot of abandoned ideas" is not the reality of the game

And yeah, I know about the halloween and christmas stuff, but that's after summer.
uhh, you said there wasn't gonna be anything to look forward between now and the end of the season... i'm telling you what's gonna be there to look forward to between now and the end of the season

how many summer events do you want league to have

And I when I mention DotAs management, I'm talking about the DotA team primarily, not Valve as a whole. They have their own problems with their projects outside of Steam. And I never said League was unpopular in China, I thought that DotA was bigger in China. Huge difference.
dota being bigger than league is still ridiculously wrong

like you saying 10m players when it's actually almost 70m

it's fine if you're wrong sometimes, but you seem not to have any interest in researching a bit so you have grounds to talk on, let alone make big condemning remarks

...There is a bottom line I'm making Zky, but you seem to misunderstand it and think I'm saying different things when I'm not.
it's pretty easy to see the point you're not so subtly making: it's "riot sucks because it doesn't do things like valve"

i don't agree, i love how riot does a ton of things, even tho i wish they did many more better (itemization, better client, region locked accounts, etc.)

Nami with swords is a pretty neat hero.

Doing the tutorial stuff for Doto it's neat.
pretty cool design

jerd

I've seen more people building banner of command lately. I've always thought it would be good against ap heavy comps but never really found a chance to grab it. Is it good?

Leezard

I've seen more people building banner of command lately. I've always thought it would be good against ap heavy comps but never really found a chance to grab it. Is it good?

I think it's situationally good. If the enemy team relies on a mage to wave clear (xerath, ziggs, etc.) it is a very good item as it allows a cannon minion to survive and keep dealing damage. If they also have a lot of physical damage waveclear it's probably not worth it. If they have kinda weak physical waveclear, it can be worth it.

like i said, they've done other similar sales in the past

iirc they've done 50% off on a different skin every day during last christmas, etc.

Yeah, for Christmas. That event is fine.

i mean, this promotion doesn't include china which is probably why i was wrong to assume it'd be done super quick

the money they would lose is probably balanced against what they would get from people buying gifts. also league gets new players every day and rito will be able to sell them the mundo skin to them

That's probably what they're thinking, it's why gifting stuff to other players gives more points than 5 people actually playing.

i feel we've talked this a million times

the fact that something makes money for them or isn't announced out of the blue doesn't mean that it isn't finished

riot having "a lot of abandoned ideas" is not the reality of the game

so about that dragon champion they anounced 3 years ago....they probably abandon ideas all the time. It is a reality of game development.

uhh, you said there wasn't gonna be anything to look forward between now and the end of the season... i'm telling you what's gonna be there to look forward to between now and the end of the season

I'm talking about the end League Season. Not year. The pre-season rolls out the 'huge' changes and usually starts between september and november. So yeah they have the harrowing left.

how many summer events do you want league to have

I can't criticize riot because they did something?

dota being bigger than league is still ridiculously wrong

like you saying 10m players when it's actually almost 70m

it's fine if you're wrong sometimes, but you seem not to have any interest in researching a bit so you have grounds to talk on, let alone make big condemning remarks

Again, I was talking about US numbers since the event seems to be catered to the NA region(OCE had their own thing) with the caveat that the world unlocks an IP boost. Even riot makes note 'Unlock a worldwide IP party weekend', even though the whole event is catered around how well NA does with earning points. They're definitely not giving out the Mundo skins to every player in the world. If you could get me numbers for how many players it has in the NA region, that'd be great. My '10 million' statement made last page is for people in NA, not worldwide, I know it's much larger worldwide.

it's pretty easy to see the point you're not so subtly making: it's "riot sucks because it doesn't do things like valve"

i don't agree, i love how riot does a ton of things, even tho i wish they did many more better (itemization, better client, region locked accounts, etc.)

I'm criticizing riot for how badly put together this event is(If my point forecast is static and doesn't have any deviance, then one can make the argument that Riot set the goalposts too high.) There's a fine line between liking something, loving some things, and liking somethings but being able to criticize it as well. I bring the different 2 competitors to show contrast in company philosophy.

Leezard

It's not just NA gathering points, it's worldwide (except regions like China). The point website is just on the NA website, but all participating regions contribute points.

It's not an NA catered event. I think Riot probably intended for people to play 5 man premade more often rather than make it easily achievable with current numbers, unless there is a huge spike on the weekend.

It's not just NA gathering points, it's worldwide (except regions like China). The point website is just on the NA website, but all participating regions contribute points.

It's not an NA catered event. I think Riot probably intended for people to play 5 man premade more often rather than make it easily achievable with current numbers, unless there is a huge spike on the weekend.

Huh, well I'll be damned.

....why the hell is it sitting at ~8 million points then if the whole world is in on it. Now I'm just baffled at how slow the meter is gaining.

Leezard

Huh, well I'll be damned.

....why the hell is it sitting at ~8 million points then if the whole world is in on it. Now I'm just baffled at how slow the meter is gaining.

This is only speculation from my side, but I think it's probably planned by the player behavior team, that's why they specifically want 5-man premades. The reason could be to reduce negative behavior since you won't flame your premade teammates, etc. The previous OCE event had you gain points from playing aquatic champs, certain skins, etc. so it was a lot easier there.

But yeah, it goes slow. There's not that many people that go 5 man premades it seems. I wonder what is the "expected" goal.

This is only speculation from my side, but I think it's probably planned by the player behavior team, that's why they specifically want 5-man premades. The reason could be to reduce negative behavior since you won't flame your premade teammates, etc. The previous OCE event had you gain points from playing aquatic champs, certain skins, etc. so it was a lot easier there.

But yeah, it goes slow. There's not that many people that go 5 man premades it seems. I wonder what is the "expected" goal.

Riot definitely has internal numbers on premade lobbies. In order to make the event feasible I imagine they would've set the bar at or close to the average premade games played weekly. Maybe there will be a huge spike come Friday, but right now it's looking like an extremely longshot.

If it was planned by the player behavior team...yeah I could see why they would want premades.

zkylon

zkylewd
on pbe:
Inhibitor & Nexus Turrets
Attacks no longer slow movement speed by 10% and reduce targets damage by 15%.

i'm guessing a decent buff to splitpushers, no more send me to waveclear like that tryndamere isn't gonna one shot me lol

Yeah, for Christmas. That event is fine.
alright so you're conceding that having big sales is not a new thing for league and so you were wrong before

That's probably what they're thinking, it's why gifting stuff to other players gives more points than 5 people actually playing.
yup, riot wants to make money as any company does

so about that dragon champion they anounced 3 years ago....they probably abandon ideas all the time. It is a reality of game development.
if u say it's a reality of game development why do u single out riot as having "a ton of abandoned projects"

btw between ao shin and now a ton of champions got released and a ton more got reworked too

where are these abandoned projects? grab a few patches and you'll see all the finished projects riot's done in the meantime

i doesn't excuse them for not having replays or for having a shitty client but it would be nice to be talking about real things

'm talking about the end League Season. Not year. The pre-season rolls out the 'huge' changes and usually starts between september and november. So yeah they have the harrowing left.
no, it's actually november-december

I can't criticize riot because they did something?
make your criticisms if you want, just base them on facts not guesses

Again, I was talking about US numbers since the event seems to be catered to the NA region(OCE had their own thing) with the caveat that the world unlocks an IP boost. Even riot makes note 'Unlock a worldwide IP party weekend', even though the whole event is catered around how well NA does with earning points. They're definitely not giving out the Mundo skins to every player in the world. If you could get me numbers for how many players it has in the NA region, that'd be great.
not sure where you're getting any of this info

first, afaik this promo is enabled in every region except for china. there's even an oce page just like in everywhere else

i'm in south america and we have the exact same event as na

where do you get "there are not definitely giving out he mundo skin to every player in the world" from?

also there are more european and korean players than north americans iirc so all you have said about this event feels like complete nonsense dude

did you even read any of it

I'm criticizing riot for how badly put together this event is(If my point forecast is static and doesn't have any deviance, then one can make the argument that Riot set the goalposts too high.) There's a fine line between liking something, loving some things, and liking somethings but being able to criticize it as well. I bring the different 2 competitors to show contrast in company philosophy.
if only

alright so you're conceding that having big sales is not a new thing for league and so you were wrong before

It's a new thing for summer sales, for discounting their own store merchanise. So it's a new thing. You're conceding that once again you're selectively choosing to misinterpret things.

yup, riot wants to make money as any company does
Yup.

if u say it's a reality of game development why do u single out riot as having "a ton of abandoned projects"

btw between ao shin and now a ton of champions got released and a ton more got reworked too

New champions and reworks are expected to happen. Everything else though? I bring up Ao Shin because again, it's a reality of game development. It's just that Riot is kinda falling behind both Blizzard and the DotA team in terms of doing big things-IE DotA has it's events just like Riot, but they have this whole 'DotA Reborn' thing going on where they're literally transforming the game into something else. Blizzard has the Diablo event with slated skin and hero releases. League has a party event where the rewards are unlocked after a certain threshold, and even when you bring up the previous events, they all seem lackluster compared to the stuff that the other 2 are doing.

where are these abandoned projects? grab a few patches and you'll see all the finished projects riot's done in the meantime

You'd have to ask riot. I bring up Ao Shin because he's the most obvious one, since they chose to reveal that information.

i doesn't excuse them for not having replays or for having a shitty client but it would be nice to be talking about real things

Replays have been on PBE for how long, they've been promising this new client stuff for how long(The advanced match history update mentioned that it's one step to building a new client.)

These are very real things.

Preseason starts a bit before that, that's the end of the season I'm talking about. Then they have the next year updates in November, and start the season on January. But then the season ends around September/October, right before the world finals. So....you're wrong on that account.

make your criticisms if you want, just base them on facts not guesses

As I have been. Again, Ao Shin, the Client, Replays, last patch that broke alot of things and they had to disable champions, Syndra(I didn't really talk about), and in general what Riot says and how they roll out things.

first, afaik this promo is enabled in every region except for china. there's even an oce page just like in everywhere else

i'm in south america and we have the exact same event as na

where do you get "there are not definitely giving out he mundo skin to every player in the world" from?

also there are more european and korean players than north americans iirc so all you have said about this event feels like complete nonsense dude

did you even read any of it

if only\

This part was my assumption because of the point uptake within the past two days, for being a world wide event for 67 million players, only reaching 8 million points in the first 2 days is pretty low considering their threshold is 55 million points. However now that I stand corrected, that is a damn low amount that has been reached.

zkylon

zkylewd
im having a job interview next week, hope it goes well

i already have ryuko hair, so first thing im doing with the money is getting me some new kill la kill nendoroids

ahri too expensive

subtles

I was wondering if any of you guys have a link to the in depth Azir guide that was posted on Reddit a few months ago? I can't really find it on Youtube and thought maybe one of you saved it. It was one that was really long and detailed, covering many scenarios and how Azir worked around them, with a particularly strong emphasis on his mechanics.

RoA now tops at 100 AP?

40% AoE slow is kinda nuts. 80 AP Liandry means Ryliandry is nuts on Brand.

15% true spell vamp wtf. Huge spike for Vladimir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom