• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerd

Almost feels like a preseason patch

it's fun but kind of makes me too anxious to play ranked so i just don't play

Kind of funny that we went in one patch from only seeing ch junglers with a warrior or two sprinkled in to only seeing devourer and runeglaive with a cinderhulk sprinkled in

It'll settle down once everyone figures it out

So Tahm Ketchs devour seems to be pretty damn glitchy. Just saw a .webm of him spitting out(Very poorly I might add) a shaco clone, and it was invulnerable until it's timer expired.

Yeaaaaaaaah.

Ambition

Screen23.jpg

Jinx's aoe crits are so satisfying.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not dying much with Tahm but I'm not doing very well with him. I typically save people who are about to die, die 2-4 times myself, and watch stuff like (not an exaggeration) two different teammates with 16 deaths each.

Part of it is that he does so little damage even with the damage boost from stacking HP, he doesn't have much presence in a game besides saving a teammate? Even Leona seems to do more damage with all her CC.

Last game, I stole dragon over the back wall with a Tahm Q, used banner of command against a mostly AP team to take both their nexus towers, ulted to take their mid inhib by bringing our ADC, saved said ADC on the way back out, and still lost. :( I'm sure I made mistakes but still.

I even got a "wow thanks" from a teammate, and someone on the other team complimenting a different save. And someone throwing a homophobic slur because of my banner of command.

The only reason you'd want Tahm is either for his travel gimmick or his swallow.

Like, Q is nice but the build up to making it into a stun is predictable and obvious, so outside of hectic teamfights(Where it's easy to land hits) it's hard to actually get those 3 hits to land that stun. His devour is great but it's definitely his main gimmick along with his ultimate. Which is....I mean, there are better ultimates. His ultimate doesn't help in teamfights, which these days seems to be very 'Gather up the forces in front of each other, poke, then go all in with a flash'. Sure his ultimate is great for ganks, but there's still that huge window of 'oh look at that, a little whirlpool.' It's only good when the gankee isn't paying attention or is way overbounds(Which will usually happen only in laning.).

His E is completely self-serving. Tahm is a gimmick simply because of his devour and ultimate, and because his kit is kinda all over the place. Some of it is self-serving, some of it is locked behind only being useful on the 3 hits, some of it is useful for allies, but it doesn't really mesh together very well. You're right that he has a little presence, like when Leona lands that little dash stun or her ranged stun, it's can change the tide of a game. Tahm not so much.

Blizzard

Banned
The only reason you'd want Tahm is either for his travel gimmick or his swallow.

Like, Q is nice but the build up to making it into a stun is predictable and obvious, so outside of hectic teamfights(Where it's easy to land hits) it's hard to actually get those 3 hits to land that stun. His devour is great but it's definitely his main gimmick along with his ultimate. Which is....I mean, there are better ultimates. His ultimate doesn't help in teamfights, which these days seems to be very 'Gather up the forces in front of each other, poke, then go all in with a flash'. Sure his ultimate is great for ganks, but there's still that huge window of 'oh look at that, a little whirlpool.' It's only good when the gankee isn't paying attention or is way overbounds(Which will usually happen only in laning.).

His E is completely self-serving. Tahm is a gimmick simply because of his devour and ultimate, and because his kit is kinda all over the place. Some of it is self-serving, some of it is locked behind only being useful on the 3 hits, some of it is useful for allies, but it doesn't really mesh together very well. You're right that he has a little presence, like when Leona lands that little dash stun or her ranged stun, it's can change the tide of a game. Tahm not so much.
Nice writeup. I think that's a reasonable summary.

In particular I think I hardly EVER hit the stun as opposed to eating an enemy or just using the slow instead.

Ferga

So yesterday, I won 4 games in a row winning 23-25lp each.

Then I lost 4 in a row.

Today, I'm only winning 13-14lp for winning 3 games in a row

What the shit?

Blizzard

Banned
So yesterday, I won 4 games in a row winning 23-25lp each.

Then I lost 4 in a row.

Today, I'm only winning 13-14lp for winning 3 games in a row

What the shit?
Aren't LP gains based on team MMR? So you get higher gains if you're playing against a team you're supposed to lose against, and lower gains if you're playing against a team you're supposed to beat?

If that's true I'm not sure why the matchmaking system would pick such teams, but who knows. Behind the scenes there's probably some secret hidden MMR.

jerd

Which is why i think in theory he'll eventually be better as a solo laner assuming they buff him

He has one basic ability that makes you think support and that's it. His E just let's him not completely get harassed out of lane by any ranged support

There is a hidden MMR for each player. Yeah some of your LP gain is determined by your team and the enemy team, but the majority of it is where the system thinks where you belong.

So those 4 games you lost might've been against teams you were 'supposed' to beat, and after each loss it kept knocking you lower and lower in this totem pole, and thus normalized you at your current rank. So you're earning a lower LP because the system thinks it's found your spot. You kinda have to win alot more in a row in order to tilt that hidden MMR in your favor, which is usually the hard part.

Basically, the easiest time to rise with your hidden MMR is when you're right out of placements because usually tilted in your favor; The second you go on a losing streak it's when the system heavy-hands your gain and it slows down to a chill.

Which is why i think in theory he'll eventually be better as a solo laner assuming they buff him

He has one basic ability that makes you think support and that's it. His E just let's him not completely get harassed out of lane by any ranged support

Even as a solo laner, he's average, possibly below average. Tahm is good at Surviving. That's about it. He's akin to a weaker Warwick but in lane. He's not good at harassing, he's not good at setting up ganks whilst in lane, but he is good at countering all ins with his devour/stun. However unless he's supplemented with a teammate hiding in a bush, he has little kill potential against some of the more egregious laners. He is good at surviving and setting up ganks with his ult, but again in teamfights he'll fall stale and he's not much of a useful teammate because of this.

It's why I rate him at a gimmick-he's good for one or 2 things, doesn't excel in anything particular, and sure you can set up some gimmicky plays with him, but as far as a slotted character in your team, he will always be less useful than someone else in his role.

jerd

Tahm's probuilds is so ugly. Like anyone else they still need to learn to play him but damn

So deep terror is the best thresh skin right?

As it currently stands Tahm seems to only work when you build a teem around him. He's like a more extreme Bard in that sense.

The best plays I've seen with Tahm so far is when I had a Panth Jungle, Shen top and Twisted Fate Mid. We were pretty much the goon squad. Tahm would signal where he wanted to jump and swallow the ADC. Panthen would ult that spot, followed by TF, followed my shen.

jerd

Fucking terrible luck. Queue up and get a guy in my game that just feeds and rages all game. Whatever, shit happens. I wait a few minutes to queue up again bc I don't want to be matched with him but of course there he is. I stupidly give him the benefit of the doubt bc I had a bad game too. He feeds and trolls again of course. I wait 5 full minutes before queuing up again and there he is. I've never dodged faster in my life

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
He's probably thinking the same thing lol. "ITS NOT ME I KEEP GETTING MATCHED WITH BAD TEAMMATES!"

So Tahm Ketchs devour seems to be pretty damn glitchy. Just saw a .webm of him spitting out(Very poorly I might add) a shaco clone, and it was invulnerable until it's timer expired.

Yeaaaaaaaah.
I really hope they can tweak the AI on it to prioritize enemy champions. In multiple games now I've gotten a 3 stack on enemy and gone to Devour, and it pulls up a minion. The champions are within range, but I must not be perfectly highlighting them? I don't know. I just wish it would assume if I have a 3 stack and an enemy is on my feet smashing my face, I want to devour them.

As it currently stands Tahm seems to only work when you build a teem around him. He's like a more extreme Bard in that sense.

The best plays I've seen with Tahm so far is when I had a Panth Jungle, Shen top and Twisted Fate Mid. We were pretty much the goon squad. Tahm would signal where he wanted to jump and swallow the ADC. Panthen would ult that spot, followed by TF, followed my shen.
Tahm seems stuck in the middle, ability and power-wise, between a laner and a support. I'm curious what they'll end up doing with him. Surely they focus him down to being just a support, because I got a triple kill with him in my last game as support---which seems silly. Honestly though, I've enjoyed him mostly for his tankiness. My best play, though nothing amazing, was saving our ADC Jinx who got pulled into enemy base by Blitz. I flashed in, devoured her, and was tanky enough to walk out under tower and enemy fire to spit her out in safety. It felt good.

My best play, though nothing amazing, was saving our ADC Jinx who got pulled into enemy base by Blitz. I flashed in, devoured her, and was tanky enough to walk out under tower and enemy fire to spit her out in safety. It felt good.
Yeah tahm is crazy, I love seeing plays with him. One time I saw him ult in eat there adc, then flash over a wall.

Leezard

That reminds me to play some more Zyra. She should be stronger in this patch due to Liandries/Rylai buffs. She can destroy squishy mister yis too.

garath

I wonder if morg support will be good with the new Rylai's. Her pool should proc it no? Would help her zone control and could set up some nice bindings.

So taking my break from League, I played some Heroes, and there's a huge difference in coming back to it. For one, I always had a smile on my face when playing this map-

Not to shit on League, I have a love-hate relationship with it, but being able to play something polished(And not as buggy as League currently is) and stress free from Ranked is pretty good.

Nekofrog

Banned
so in what fucking world does a team like TDK get me more points than a team like H2K

H2k is literally responsible for two my fantasy losses. im so mad.

Bacon

The Tahm/Kalista botlane is so troll. Tahm eats you, Kalista ults Tahm backwards, Tahm spits you out and suddenly you are under their turret.

I wonder if morg support will be good with the new Rylai's. Her pool should proc it no? Would help her zone control and could set up some nice bindings.
Still bad even on lane Morg. Her pool is too tiny.

FQC is just plain superior for setting up bindings. I wish more people would actually upgrade spell thief. The active is good enough to frighten people into flashing if you've been landing good bindings before you even get it. It's a solid roam/pick/snowball/rush item for support Morg.

So taking my break from League, I played some Heroes, and there's a huge difference in coming back to it. For one, I always had a smile on my face when playing this map-

Not to shit on League, I have a love-hate relationship with it, but being able to play something polished(And not as buggy as League currently is) and stress free from Ranked is pretty good.
oh god that game is awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom