• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Zilean Support Broken
>Harass pushes minion wave
>More skill required landing Q's than namis bubbles
>Speed up Less useful than anything else

It's broken as in it doesn't work, mate.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
How odd. I felt he was ok in lane. Best game I played with him I wasn't really trying to force doube bomb stuns too much, rather using Q as a poke tool. Q-W-Q is much easier to land when the opponents engage, I found. They're too focused on the engage to notice the bombs. There's a temptation to play supports with significant stuns as kill lanes, but I think that Zilean is an early game poke support who transitions into a protection/peel support.
Zilean's poke is just not that impressive to me, in part because his early game is so weak. By the time late game rolls around Zilean's contributions to team fights become increasingly negligible as the unreliability of his kit becomes increasingly apparent. Even with decent placement the delay on the bombs means they are not guaranteed damage, and his ult as well is something that can be played around. This means there are lots of situations where Zilean can just come up empty handed. It is an incredible amount of work for something that doesn't pay off very well.

That basically sums it up. By the time his lategame rolls around and your spells are off CD all the time and your ult is 30 seconds, everyone else is strong enough that you really don't matter much. You're a walking GA on 30s CD, but that's it.

Thankfully, you're so useless than everyone ignores you and you can go for some easy bomb stuns, but it's not like you can get bombs onto squishies unless you're really good at picking out your tanks and timing it right and...at that point, just play orianna.

Playing zilean is like working an awful minimum wage job. You have to work your ass off, but at the end of the day you're not left with much.

Edwardo

I almost quit a ranked game last night. The Blitz on our team kept doing stupid shit like pulling Mega Gnar or chasing after someone with low hp and being useless. I didn't even say a word until 45 minutes in, when I told him to stick with the team in fights and not to chase after low ppl. According to him, we were all blaming him for our own failures.

I love playing League, but I'm barely playing five games a week right now. I'm getting tired of having teammates that go into bitch mode when criticized, constructively or not.

Anyways, I haven't played Shyv in over a year and she was a ton of fun jungling last night.

Ferga

1m748JC.jpg

I go to the toilet after I pick and I come back to this.

People really don't like to dodge, huh?

I almost quit a ranked game last night. The Blitz on our team kept doing stupid shit like pulling Mega Gnar or chasing after someone with low hp and being useless. I didn't even say a word until 45 minutes in, when I told him to stick with the team in fights and not to chase after low ppl. According to him, we were all blaming him for our own failures.

I love playing League, but I'm barely playing five games a week right now. I'm getting tired of having teammates that go into bitch mode when criticized, constructively or not.

Anyways, I haven't played Shyv in over a year and she was a ton of fun jungling last night.
There's a lot to learn from Newt. Don't talk shit to people until the post game lobby.

Don't criticize people, mute them and say passive aggressive shit without reading any replies, it makes losses refreshing.

Ferga

Guess I should of stopped after the first bad game

game 1 Duo from hell
game 2 Intentional feeding
game 3 rage quitting Riven

What a bad night of ranked. Went on super tilt after that feeding garen.

patchday

Not talking smack but I tried to play HOTS the other day. It was fun but felt so arcade after playing so much League of Legends. Still a good game in it's own right though

Tizoc

game 1 Duo from hell

A rage quitting Riven?
Seriously? Riven is like freelo...
Man I should've been your Garen, would've at least contributed to the game and pushed top all the way :/

zkylon

zkylewd

sounds like time for a league vacation

catch up on some anime eddie :>

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
A wise pancake once said,

Stop playing ranked after you lose two games in a row you fools!

Also, 1v1 me in street fighter you scrubs. I may be a D ranked noob but I can spam tiger shots like the best of em.

Edwardo

sounds like time for a league vacation

catch up on some anime eddie :>

Haha you're right. I'm starting to get bugged by some of the smallest things that I normally wouldn't even care about.

I acutally just bought all of Cowboy Bebop, so I want to watch that soon. I used to watch it back in the day, but it's been a long time. I picked up a bunch of ghibli movies too that I need to watch/rewatch soon. Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Tales from Earthsea.

I'm spending a lot of time playing Elder Scrolls Online too.

zkylon

zkylewd
sounds like u got a bright future ahead of you

i actually only watched mononoke out of all of those (and bebop). i was gonna watch nausicaa at an anime film festival thing but i think i was sick that day or something, and i dunno why i've never found myself watching totoro

if all fails u know what to do

tumblr_mutz6yHuJe1r6syygo1_500.gif

traveler

Not Wario
First time in this thread. I play the game casually, mostly ARAM, and I need some advice.

Some background- people have gotten onto me about playing Karthus too passive in ARAM before, so I've been looking to improve on that.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1893108020/36037?tab=stats

This game was torture. Early on, I looked at the enemy comp, ate a few hits while accomplishing nothing with harass, and decided to hang back a bit. Kalista, Heimerdinger, and Varus especially ripped me apart without any real chance to do damage. I figured I'd play second line, not first, build tanky and jump in when

a) an enemy team member was out of position and I could count on the rest of the team to try and support them
b) a team fight broke out
c) i could land a snowball on the backline with enough of my own team up to expect support when i jumped in.
d) the enemy team was pushing a tower/defending a tower

Basically, I looked for commitment, then jumped in till I died. I figured I couldn't just sit on the frontlines and zone them through fear of my passive given their comp. They'd just kill me from a safe distance, back out, and my passive would accomplish nothing.

My team ripped into me for this, early game, and, when we lost, blamed it on me, and told me to reroll Karth next time I got him. Said I was too passive and didn't commit enough. (And I actually did try just jumping in non stop after we lost the first tower, so either I was doing it wrong, it was already too late, or it just didn't work against their comp)

While I'm a little hurt and not exactly looking to be further ripped apart by criticism, I don't want validation either. I just really want to know how to play Karthus aggressive in this situation.

I'm accustomed to playing super aggressive in dota, but that's typically on heros/champs where I have some combination of a) mobility, b) survivability, (which is Karthus is certainly not early game, and only slightly decent at built tanky- his stats and skills don't support sustain in any way) or c) lockdown. It's also typically in a normal game where manning up isn't barrelling towards an entire enemy team most of the time, but 2 or 3 people in a lane. Furthermore, even as an aggressive initiator, if I don't have the mobility to jump a Varus equivalent- let's say Sniper- I'm not going to just charge the guy in plain sight and die if I don't have the tankiness to make it to him and do something. So this situation is entirely new to me.

Questions are:

a) how do you play Karthus aggressive and frontline against range comps that outrange you, especially in ARAM where that's typically a team of 5?
b) what kinds of builds would you recommend?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Leezard

I really don't like karthus in aram. I think he's kind of difficult in that game mode. I guess the snowball is good for him, but karthus typically can't poke well in aram.
Your build seems all right and your damage to champs seems all right. I wouldn't put much stock in what your team mates had to say.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not much of a karthus player but i think as karthus u were pretty screwed by the champions the enemy team got

like, you want to push forward with karthus as a sort of "counterzoning" i guess (like, enemy team jumps your team and you sit in the middle and zhonyas and have them take a ton of dmg to go through you if they want to fight your team), but the enemy team had a crazy amount of zoning themselves

there was little you could do considering your team lacked engage, had weaker poke (xerath for some reason was going athenes+morellos and also varus is much better poke in arams anyways) and you were going against swain, heimer and nunu and were super outranged by varus.

also i want this now

ij5UhbU.jpg

i wanted it before, but there's a picture of it now

so i want it more

It looks like you started Tear and Xerath started Chalice. So right off the bat your team's poke had no damage. Either way, it seems like a losing match up unless Yi got fed early and Rumble got off some amazing ults.

Your team probably flamed you because they saw a Karthus with 4 bodyguards carry a game once or twice.

killatopak

Gold Member
Not talking smack but I tried to play HOTS the other day. It was fun but felt so arcade after playing so much League of Legends. Still a good game in it's own right though

HOTS, Dota and league each have their own quirks and find that they're all fun. Just go where your friends are because the fun will increase exponentially with friends. This is probably true in most games really.

If I had to classify each moba

Dota: very methodical and probably the hardest overall. Additional mechanics such as denying makes this the most skill intensive game.

League: Easiest to get into. Strategies play a larger role than individual skills. Meta shifts very quickly due to constant updates.

HON: A watered down Dota clone(Like really. The heroes are basically the same from dota except with different appearances but even then it's not much). It has it own quirks but from the last time I played, It panders to pubstomp kind of people.

HOTS: I haven't played much but it looks like this is a more team based game where most of the time, the team groups up instead of the usual laning phase style. Very fanservicy game due to the characters from previous Blizzard games being in it.

A rage quitting Riven?
Seriously? Riven is like freelo...
Man I should've been your Garen, would've at least contributed to the game and pushed top all the way :/

In higher ELO it's actually more difficult to make Riven work. I personally am having a harder time with her than back when I was in silver.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You guys are gonna get zkylewd banned again.

Jeff-DSA

For real?

Kappa

They considered it magnifying the signal. I get it. It was a post that went after someone improperly. The ban message said something about that if I found the ban unfair, imagine how the guy affected felt. I won't argue the ban, but I was really surprised that I was roped into it.

Guys, I'm getting a new puppy. I'm so stoked. I'm sure he'll ruin my League comeback to some degree, however.

Nekofrog

Banned

game 1 Duo from hell

We should just stick to aram where we get the magical malphite orianna combo but then only actually use the combo once at level 6 when ori ult does no damage

Trouble with zilean is that his double bomb stun is hard as shit to actually land. I remember a few months ago, Aphro tried to learn zilean support.

He got pretty decent but he just realised that it was too much effort even though the aoe stun is op as hell.

I didn't feel as though it was too difficult to land, but if I felt I might not land on a champion I would put it down a few seconds before the ADC would go for a last hit to hit him.

drawkcaB

They considered it magnifying the signal. I get it. It was a post that went after someone improperly. The ban message said something about that if I found the ban unfair, imagine how the guy affected felt. I won't argue the ban, but I was really surprised that I was roped into it.

Guys, I'm getting a new puppy. I'm so stoked. I'm sure he'll ruin my League comeback to some degree, however.

What comeback?! You still haven't played in like 2 months. You need to play so I spectate the insanity. Also, we need to play together so I can experience it for myself.

Also, yay new puppy! Wish we could get one but my wife doesn't want to. She's allergic to cats as well. She thinks a fish would be a good pet. Fuck are we gonna do with a stupid fish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom