• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
colab with other games would be so awesome

i want a yuka-tan from persona 3 skin for lux

and mitsuru fiora

and akihiko lee sin

and teddy gnar (ok he's from p4 but w/e)

just straight up copy paste the models from the game

give it to me

Dota 2 is collabing with final fantasy

Lol would make bank doing something like that

Leezard

So dota2 stopped with the whole "cosmetics has to make sense with the lore" shtick, then.

I think it would be cool if League did it too.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So dota2 stopped with the whole "cosmetics has to make sense with the lore" shtick, then.

I think it would be cool if League did it too.

Wut.

He have astronaut yordles and and bears in police officer outfits. Lore was out the window a while ago.

Leezard

Oh no, I meant the collaboration stuff. League skins have never attempted to fit with lore. I mean one of the first non-"just a recolor" skins we got were the Mighty Jax.

Oh no, I meant the collaboration stuff. League skins have never attempted to fit with lore. I mean one of the first non-"just a recolor" skins we got were the Mighty Jax.

Eh, theres also the money aspect. If youre riot, whats more profitable- collaborating with Sailor Moon to make a Lux skin, or "referencing" sailor moon with a sailor moon like skin.

I mean, it feels scummy but as far as the business aspect goes they make more money from referencing shit than collaborating.

Itd be cool to get a collaboration champion/skins, but this is Riot we're talking about unfortunately.

killatopak

Gold Member
Eh, theres also the money aspect. If youre riot, whats more profitable- collaborating with Sailor Moon to make a Lux skin, or "referencing" sailor moon with a sailor moon like skin.

I mean, it feels scummy but as far as the business aspect goes they make more money from referencing shit than collaborating.

Itd be cool to get a collaboration champion/skins, but this is Riot we're talking about unfortunately.

It's pretty easy to reference Sailor Moon because there are tons of Mahou Shoujo that you can't exactly pin point where Riot stole it from but if you want a specific look then it would be hard to reference it because there would be lawsuits.

Tizoc

Dat full build garen
qlzpudw.jpg

http://matchhistory.eune.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/EUN1/1207753650/205390904/eog

I take a beating and still can get doubles or triples.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It's pretty easy to reference Sailor Moon because there are tons of Mahou Shoujo that you can't exactly pin point where Riot stole it from but if you want a specific look then it would be hard to reference it because there would be lawsuits.
I embrace league being in the creating knockoff business.

zkylon

zkylewd
I mean I dont think theyve been on that boat since the pandering atrocity of popstar ahri was released
your face is a pandering atrocity

this just doesn't make any sense

can you even comprehend the amount of money rito would make if they did licensed skins?

they don't do licensed stuff cos they prolly don't want to muddle their IP and just leave it at references which make most ppl acceptably happy. it's also probably a pretty big hassle to deal with japanese big businessmen which have over and over proved to be difficult. it's easier for valve since they have a previous relationship from steam.

but surely you're joking, rito would make way more money if they actually struck a deal with ppl owning sailor moon or whatever and did licensed stuff

personally, i like the reference versions better, tho i can't help but wish they just did klk skins for everyone ;_:

Tizoc

You should consider Black Cleaver for Garen. It's basically built for him and Wukong.

Yeah I know BC is good on him, but I like Brut on him more.
Maybe I'll go another game and go for a more tankier build with BC.

Really though if you're against a squishy at top Brut+BF Sword wastes them in seconds.

this just doesn't make any sense

can you even comprehend the amount of money rito would make if they did licensed skins?

they don't do licensed stuff cos they prolly don't want to muddle their IP and just leave it at references which make most ppl acceptably happy. it's also probably a pretty big hassle to deal with japanese big businessmen which have over and over proved to be difficult. it's easier for valve since they have a previous relationship from steam.

but surely you're joking, rito would make way more money if they actually struck a deal with ppl owning sailor moon or whatever and did licensed stuff

personally, i like the reference versions better, tho i can't help but wish they just did klk skins for everyone ;_:

The only reason they would collab with someone is to increase their own brand awareness, they dont need to do that, they probably make an insane amount already for every skin they release. Having a collab wouldnt mean more when you already make more. And having a collab with say, final fantasy means theyd have to pay a certain amount to them. Less money.

Ahri is also the worst champion ever

killatopak

Gold Member
The only reason they would collab with someone is to increase their own brand awareness, they dont need to do that, they probably make an insane amount already for every skin they release. Having a collab wouldnt mean more when you already make more. And having a collab with say, final fantasy means theyd have to pay a certain amount to them. Less money.

It makes you wonder why Dota 2 would make an FF colab when it's already popular as it is. There must have been statistics involved which would mean it is ultimately gaining them more money.

I just want my Steve Irwin Renekton.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's advertisement for FF games on Steam. It benefits both S-E and Valve because S-E gets exposure from the DOTA playerbase and DOTA gets exposure from the FF playerbase and everyone's spending money on Steam and Gaben is ready to create a new annex to his private home built entirely out of gold bricks.

That said, I'm not sure what League's penetration in Japan is like but I'm sure a Miku-collab could help.

zkylon

zkylewd

not really, it's huge publicity and goodwill and whatnot that translates into money down the line

making lore doesn't = money right away but makes the game overall better which makes them money in the long run

riot just doesn't want to deal with all the trouble of licensed stuff, which makes sense even if it's super regrettable :T

also again wouldn't it be the same for doto? why is doto making licensed stuff if they would make more money without it?

u have a very simplistic way of looking at things d00d

It's advertisement for FF games on Steam. It benefits both S-E and Valve because S-E gets exposure from the DOTA playerbase and DOTA gets exposure from the FF playerbase and everyone's spending money on Steam and Gaben is ready to create a new annex to his private home built entirely out of gold bricks.

That said, I'm not sure what League's penetration in Japan is like but I'm sure a Miku-collab could help.
i mean, it's final fantasy, everyone loves final fantasy and would be nice advertising for both. it's obviously more conveinent for valve since doto essentially exists to get ppl buying shit on steam but doesn't mean they rito couldn't just do something fun too :>

also japan server has been in the works forever, perfect opportunity for some delicious fan service <3

Haly

Look Rito look, I'm about to make you 10 thousand dolares.

Asuna skin for Fiora
Moogle skin for Teemo
Senjougahara skin for Katarina

Boom, instant market penetration, nendos, figmas, towels, body pillows, pachinko machines. You name it.

Haly

It fits her kit better. Think about it. Ult = unlimited stationary works.

how about a pyro skin for brand tho
TF2... Pyro?

not really, it's huge publicity and goodwill and whatnot that translates into money down the line

making lore doesn't = money right away but makes the game overall better which makes them money in the long run

riot just doesn't want to deal with all the trouble of licensed stuff, which makes sense even if it's super regrettable :T

also again wouldn't it be the same for doto? why is doto making licensed stuff if they would make more money without it?

u have a very simplistic way of looking at things d00d

i mean, it's final fantasy, everyone loves final fantasy and would be nice advertising for both. it's obviously more conveinent for valve since doto essentially exists to get ppl buying shit on steam but doesn't mean they rito couldn't just do something fun too :>

also japan server has been in the works forever, perfect opportunity for some delicious fan service <3

It wouldnt make sense for Rito or League because like the cool guy you quoted said, for valve and square its a symbiotic relationship. Steam has its own ecosystem that makes it beneficial for companies to cross advertise(see:tf2 characters in sonic all stars, pipboy items for tf2). League is its own closed thing, its not a matter of riot(laughably) building lore in the long run and having it pay off(the lore in league is a running joke at this point.), but that it wouldnt be beneficial to them to do collabs. For Valve its cross advertisement- oh maybe that hardcore dota player will buy/preorder an ff game for the chocobo, and its a 2 way benefit because not only does Valve get a 30% cut from that preorder sale, but it also advertises the game that has that bonus(protard:wow where did you get that courier! Preorder? I know I will!).

For league there is no inherent benefit for Riot in having collb. For valve they get a cut for a game sold in their ecosystem, so enticing people to prekrder on their platform with a courier skin or tf2 hat does have a benefit.

zkylon

zkylewd
It fits her kit better. Think about it. Ult = unlimited stationary works.
yea that does sound tempting

too bad it's wasted on shitty kat

meanwhile synchan is like tsundere for days and she gets nothing

TF2... Pyro?

yea

everyone loves pyro

also it makes brand a she which means i can play him

her

whatever

It wouldnt make sense for Rito or League because like the cool guy you quoted said, for valve and square its a symbiotic relationship. Steam has its own ecosystem that makes it beneficial for companies to cross advertise(see:tf2 characters in sonic all stars, pipboy items for tf2). League is its own closed thing, its not a matter of riot(laughably) building lore in the long run and having it pay off(the lore in league is a running joke at this point.), but that it wouldnt be beneficial to them to do collabs. For Valve its cross advertisement- oh maybe that hardcore dota player will buy/preorder an ff game for the chocobo, and its a 2 way benefit because not only does Valve get a 30% cut from that preorder sale, but it also advertises the game that has that bonus(protard:wow where did you get that courier! Preorder? I know I will!).

For league there is no inherent benefit for Riot in having collb. For valve they get a cut for a game sold in their ecosystem, so enticing people to prekrder on their platform with a courier skin or tf2 hat does have a benefit.
yea it's much more beneficial for valve in this way but thinking that riot doesn't license skins being only because they're scum that doesn't want to pay royalties or whatever is like usual just you using your bizarro being mad at riot thing as an argument

zkylon

zkylewd
Have you spent the $80 dollars for the ahri nendo? or akali nendo?

didnd't know there was an akali one, but akali sucks
even tho i got two skins for her
so wouldn't get that

and you can't import shit in argieland so now i gotta choose between mako nendo and ahri nendo

but how

how

yea it's much more beneficial for valve in this way but thinking that riot doesn't license skins being only because they're scum that doesn't want to pay royalties or whatever is like usual just you using your bizarro being mad at riot thing as an argument

See Liquid took over Ocelots body, and together they created the war economy. Valve is feeding off this economy. Riot are like the Patriots, they want to stop this. See?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
didnd't know there was an akali one, but akali sucks
even tho i got two skins for her
so wouldn't get that

and you can't import shit in argieland so now i gotta choose between mako nendo and ahri nendo

but how

how

Mako too hot to get. Also, I think I've seen a bloodmoon akali nendo at a con once. I might be totally wrong.

killatopak

Gold Member
League needs Metal Gear skins.

Rex replaces baron.
Raiden for Yasuo
Snake is Shaco
Vamp as Vlad
Crying Wolf is Nidalee
Laughing Octopus as Syndra
Ocelot as GP
Raging Raven as Quinn
The End as Caitlyn
The Fury as Brand
The Sorrow as Yorick
The Fear as Teemo
The Boss as Lee Sin.

zkylon

zkylewd
See Liquid took over Ocelots body, and together they created the war economy. Valve is feeding off this economy. Riot are like the Patriots, they want to stop this. See?

is this mgs4 plot?

i remember something about smoking monkeys

Mako too hot to get. Also, I think I've seen a bloodmoon akali nendo at a con once. I might be totally wrong.

i need that mako ;_;

League needs Metal Gear skins.

Rex replaces baron.
Raiden for Yasuo
Snake is Shaco
Vamp as Vlad
Crying Wolf is Nidalee
Laughing Octopus as Syndra
Ocelot as GP
Raging Raven as Quinn
The End as Caitlyn
The Fury as Brand
The Sorrow as Yorick
The Fear as Teemo
The Boss as Lee Sin.
i like that there's a syndra

lee sin as the boss is lame tho

No see The Boss would be a champion co created by Riot. She's a Bruiser and for her ultimate nukes the enemy base and that area is forever radiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom