• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
Cars...

wZArVem.gif

I guess I like being driven around in them. But I don't care in which car. I can't even list 20 brands of cars of the top of my head, even if I really tried. I don't know how to start them or how to control them. It's a good thing I can get everywhere with public transport here or else I'd be in a bit of a pinch.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
the straights in my english class are looking at cars on ford.com what the fuck

Ugh. Car talk is meh. I remember someone trying to get me into the conversation and I simply let the people talk and I just pretended to care and nod in agreement. They could have asked me to join a satanic cult and since I was in automatic mode I could have agreed into entering one.

Now movies , games, current events and music talk even when its not genres or exact topic I'm not interested in I can handle that type of conversation. Car talk is like Enya music. It automatically gets me sleepy.

Ugh. Car talk is meh. I remember someone trying to get me into the conversation and I simply let the people talk and I just pretended to care and nod in agreement. They could have asked me to join a satanic cult and since I was in automatic mode I could have agreed into entering one.

I think I'd much rather talk about satanic cults than cars.

Delio

Now movies , games, current events and music talk even when its not genres or exact topic I'm not interested in I can handle that type of conversation. Car talk is like Enya music. It automatically gets me sleepy.

See a lot of that depends on what games,movies and music they are talking about. Well maybe less movies cause a lot of people will just bring up whatever current movies are out in small talk.

I suck at small talk tho so it's all good.

They ended up making car price jokes... Like, "Haha I bet this one is like 1 dollar dude" and they were laughing so hard what the fuck are straight 18-20 year olds

DOWN

Banned
They ended up making car price jokes... Like, "Haha I bet this one is like 1 dollar dude" and they were laughing so hard what the fuck are straight 18-20 year olds

I feel bad for totally relating to these posts

it's just a bland world they live in sometimes

I like Enya but her music is relaxing to the point of making people narcoleptic.

That's a product of inattention. It's actually the same in meditation, once you're able to focus on an object for a long time you start experiencing mental dullness, you have to dive deeper into the object (making it fresh and vivid), and then you'll stay perfectly alert. It's timely because that's basically the challenge I'm at now. I guarantee Enya is more engaging than feeling the movement of your diaphragm/solar plexus for an hour :p

Vazra

What's wrong with being excited about cars?
I mean, I like driving and cars can be fun to talk about.
I think it's maybe the fact that people that don't have interest in X or Y thing will find the excitement awkward which they get when people look at them awkwardly when being excited about new games or music that they don't care about. Also there are some that are maybe a bit too excited to the point that it is too much.
That's a product of inattention. It's actually the same in meditation, once you're able to focus on an object for a long time you start experiencing mental dullness, you have to dive deeper into the object (making it fresh and vivid), and then you'll stay perfectly alert. It's timely because that's basically the challenge I'm at now. I guarantee Enya is more engaging feeling the movement of your diaphragm/solar plexus for an hour :p
Lol I wanted to try meditation but I always get distracted and never found good tips on how to get into it. I accept suggestions ;)

Lol I wanted to try meditation but I always get distracted and never found good tips on how to get into it. I accept suggestions ;)

In my opinion Upasaka Culadasa has written the clearest and most concise explanation of the steps involved with a developing a concentrative/tranquility meditation practice. If you want to understand the overall process, definitely read this. Note that it isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds, I actually think getting to step four or so (where I'm at) is way easier than picking up a lot of other new skills (like how to play an instrument or something), but YMMV.

Mindfulness in Plain English is also an excellent resource, it was actually how I first started. There is a slightly outdated (but free) version of it online here.

Mindfulness of Breathing is probably the most common practice. By watching the (natural, uncontrived) breath you can come to learn a lot about your mental state and feelings, all of those things will be reflected in minute variations in the ways your muscles contract and relax throughout the breathing process. It also gives you a lot of feedback about how it's going, because your breath will naturally slow down (and become quite shallow, I find) the more your mind settles down. There are a lot of other benefits to it, too, but they would require more explanation.

Vazra

In my opinion Upasaka Culadasa has written the clearest and most concise explanation of the steps involved with a developing a concentrative/tranquility meditation practice. If you want to understand the overall process, definitely read this. Note that it isn't nearly as intimidating as it sounds, I actually think getting to step four or so (where I'm at) is way easier than picking up a lot of other new skills (like how to play an instrument or something), but YMMV.

Mindfulness in Plain English is also an excellent resource, it was actually how I first started. There is a slightly outdated (but free) version of it online here.

Mindfulness of Breathing is probably the most common practice. By watching the (natural, uncontrived) breath you can come to learn a lot about your mental state and feelings, all of those things will be reflected in minute variations in the ways your muscles contract and relax throughout the breathing process. It also gives you a lot of feedback about how it's going, because your breath will naturally slow down (and become quite shallow, I find) the more your mind settles down. There are a lot of other benefits to it, too, but they would require more explanation.

Thanks a bunch!

Ty4on

I hate browsing ford.com. Like all US car sites it asks me for my zip code when I don't have one and just want to see the prices and options.
Just put in something famous like 90210 or something similar. It only really affects the search for inventory at the end. :p

the car that my dad wants me to drive around is some kind of old rare(?) nissan something whatever (which adds to my list of reasons why i don't wanna drive it, if anything happens to that car i'd be full of guilt my whole life and my dad would probably kick me out) and for some reason it gives straight men a hard-on and they start asking questions about it and i don't know if i can deal with that kind of pressure

Kater

Banned
Lots of guys (and girls) suck.

:)

All 18-30 years old you mean. :)

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

the car that my dad wants me to drive around is some kind of old rare(?) nissan something whatever (which adds to my list of reasons why i don't wanna drive it, if anything happens to that car i'd be full of guilt my whole life and my dad would probably kick me out) and for some reason it gives straight men a hard-on and they start asking questions about it and i don't know if i can deal with that kind of pressure
Tell him that. You appreciate the offer but you rather get a cheaper car first that won't cost a fortune to repair if anything happens. Something like that.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm 5'11

how much is "not fat" in your opinion at that height?

This will also depend a lot on natural body size and your muscle amount. My friend is supposedly "overweight" based on basic BMIs, but he just has a lot of muscle and has a larger frame.

According to the BMI I am overweight, but seriously unless they expect me to be a pole I can't lose much more weight. I mean I am 6'2" so I expect to weigh quite a bit.

Kevyt

I'm 5'11

how much is "not fat" in your opinion at that height?

Well I can't give you a straight answer on that. Your weight depends on a lot of things like bone density, muscle mass, water retention and other things I don't know about.

I wouldn't use BMI to say if someone is or isn't overweight. A perfect example would be a guy I talked to a few days ago at the gym. He is 5'6 and weights 164 lbs. At least that's what he told me his weight is. According to the BMI, he's overweight. However he is very lean and even has a six pack. I was surprised to hear that he weights that much. I expected him to be at around 135-140 lbs. Especially for his height (though I'm also at 5'6 and at 164 lbs you don't really feel slim nor overweight, but according to the BMI, you are).

Like I said, your weight should be something that you are only self conscious about for health related reasons, and not aesthetic reasons. You want to lose weight because it's beneficial to your overall health. You want to be at healthy weight to be healthy. You don't really have to be negative towards your own weight because you think you're unattractive or you think low of yourself because of it. A healthy weight is really important. Yet it's something you don't want to get too fixated on because it's tricky.

I was overweight, almost at 190 lbs, and I'm 5'6. I did a lot of things to slim down including starving myself and other obscure things some of us have fallen prey to. Even recently I had myfitnesspal to check on what I was eating, how much I wanted to lose and what I thought was the ideal weight for me. However it doesn't work like that. It's a great app but it didn't work for me as I was getting too obsessed with it. What I found that works in the end is to be active and exercise regularly, and the weight issue will just come. Obviously diet is hute too, but that's another conversation, lol.

Kevyt

Mobile won't let me edit but I forgot to mention that body fat percentage is more important. As I was talking to the guy who's the same height at me, and weights 164 lbs, his bd% is 9%, so that's how he has visible abs. So essentially paying attention to bd% is important too. Yet something not to get too fixated on.

Weight is pretty much meaningless to determine if someone is or isn't overweight. Which is why I don't see the point of BMI.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The point of BMI is to function as a simple screening tool. It was never intended to be used in place of an actual health analysis. Unfortunately, that is what continues to happen.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Do you live in TX? I saw a guy that reminded me of you the other day.
Nah, I live in Florida, though only for two more months.

I've been confused for other people many times in life. Occasionally I've been mistaken for being hispanic, which is just bizarre to me since I don't have a drop of hispanic blood.

Nah, I live in Florida, though only for two more months.

I've been confused for other people many times in life. Occasionally I've been mistaken for being hispanic, which is just bizarre to me since I don't have a drop of hispanic blood.

Where are you going in 2 months? People have asked me if Im Italian but I dont know how they think that.

Sibylus

Banned
Cars. I pay so little attention to them that the general shape and colour are enough for me to climb inside a stranger's completely unintentionally. Last week it happened when there was a stranger inside at the time.

True story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom