• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Well,

Got married on Saturday! :D

12122739_10153131744103062_4481105721950028633_n.jpg

Congrats! :D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I am so glad that everyone in the USA were able to gain the right of marriage this year. Long overdue. I'm happy for everyone who got married to the one they love. Congrats, Koppai. And everyone who got married this year.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, I was trying to figure out how to write this, but here we go:

I had my first HIV scare this weekend. I mean, we've all had them, but this one really hit me. I went out with a friend of Friday night and got super drunk. Found a guy, took him back to my place. I hadn't had sex in a few months so this was super exciting. There was a condom, then there wasn't (we were both hammered, I don't really blame him for this). I bottomed. I woke up the next morning, realized what had happened, and I've never driven faster to the ER (the LGBT clinic was closed). He said he was negative, but I started PEP immediately. It's two drugs (really three, since Truvada is two drugs in one), and one of them was only for three days, but it was a fucking terrible three days. I'd be constantly sweaty, nauseous, tired, and have a constant headache. I'm finally getting over it now that I only need to take Truvada for the next month (and will continue to take it going forward).

But man, what an awful experience. PEP isn't even 100% effective, though I did start my dosage about 9 hours after exposure and have been aggressively regimented in what time I've been taking the pills. He also said he was negative, and seemed genuinely adamant about that when pressed, but still. I don't even really have sex that much anymore (let alone random sex, let ALONE unprotected sex... and I rarely bottom as is), but I'm absolutely keeping on Truvada because it has to be better than those three days of this weekend with that stupid other fucking pill.

Which I got for free with my Obamacare. Take that, Huckabee.

I had my first HIV scare this weekend. I mean, we've all had them, but this one really hit me. I went out with a friend of Friday night and got super drunk. Found a guy, took him back to my place. I hadn't had sex in a few months so this was super exciting. There was a condom, then there wasn't (we were both hammered, I don't really blame him for this). I bottomed. I woke up the next morning, realized what had happened, and I've never driven faster to the ER (the LGBT clinic was closed). He said he was negative, but I started PEP immediately. It's two drugs (really three, since Truvada is two drugs in one), and one of them was only for three days, but it was a fucking terrible three days. I'd be constantly sweaty, nauseous, tired, and have a constant headache. I'm finally getting over it now that I only need to take Truvada for the next month (and will continue to take it going forward).

But man, what an awful experience. PEP isn't even 100% effective, though I did start my dosage about 9 hours after exposure and have been aggressively regimented in what time I've been taking the pills. He also said he was negative, and seemed genuinely adamant about that when pressed, but still. I don't even really have sex that much anymore (let alone random sex, let ALONE unprotected sex... and I rarely bottom as is), but I'm absolutely keeping on Truvada because it has to be better than those three days of this weekend with that stupid other fucking pill.

Wow, that's quite the harrowing experience. I've had one scare myself, but thankfully it was nothing.

You did exactly what you needed to do, and did it fast. Just don't go all that time without sex ever again :p

Thank goodness you're OK.
You did the right thing dude and thank goodness for Obamacare. :p
Just try to be more careful next time, OK?

Vorg

Banned

You did the right thing ivysaur. We shouldn't ever trust anyones word with these things. A lot of people don't even know they're infected so of course they'll tell you they're not.

LOCK

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh, I'm sure I'm fine, I just needed to get it off my chest. It was super scary. HIV is stupid!
Use a condom! Get on PrEP!

Also, I'm sure the pharmacist or someone messed up, but the LGBT center did my entire blood work and then gave me 28 days of Truvada fo free. That's... Go to be a mistake. My Obamacare can't be *that* good!

Golnei

Also, I'm sure the pharmacist or someone messed up, but the LGBT center did my entire blood work and then gave me 28 days of Truvada fo free. That's... Go to be a mistake. My Obamacare can't be *that* good!

"Take the drugs and run" really is the most universal piece of advice you can get.

Vazduh

Hope you're fine ivysaur12! I can't even imagine the stress you went through, yeesh.

Hi GAF! It's the first time that I post here but I read you very often! So, let's start with the presentation!

Your gender: man
Your sexual orientation: gay
Where Are You From: Italy (northeast, near Venice)
Where Do You Live:unfortunately Italy
How Old Are you: 26
Favorite Type of Music: pop, rock, alternative, electronic
Profession or Career interest: videogame editor, student - master degree in computer science
Favorite video game(s): Metroid, Bayonetta, Silent Hill <3
What are your hobbies (other than gaming): writing, music, telefilm, film, trekking

Bonus: here my face! Nice to meet you!

Slay! It's always nice to see more LGBTGaffers from this part of Europe (i.e. Southern, Eastern...)

And btw, your degree will take you places, so if you don't want to stay in Italy, you'll be able to go somewhere else eventually. I do relate to that "unfortunately" part, since it's like that in my country, too
(I suppose you were talking about the conservative state of affairs, right?)
. That goes for every Catholic country tbh, although things are changing for the better, slowly but surely.

We shall prevail!

EghVJDM.gif

true Gek

Hope you're fine ivysaur12! I can't even imagine the stress you went through, yeesh.

Slay! It's always nice to see more LGBTGaffers from this part of Europe (i.e. Southern, Eastern...)

And btw, your degree will take you places, so if you don't want to stay in Italy, you'll be able to go somewhere else eventually. I do relate to that "unfortunately" part, since it's like that in my country, too
(I suppose you were talking about the conservative state of affairs, right?)
. That goes for every Catholic country tbh, although things are changing for the better, slowly but surely.

We shall prevail!

EghVJDM.gif

I hope that!

And for my degree... I had some personal issues during my universitary years and it's taking a little bit too long to obtain it -.-

Koppai

Thanks to you all! :D I am on the right, my husband on the left. I am excited, I only wish the marriage license was updated to show two men!!!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

i hope this encounter has made you reconsider your homosexual lifestyle

Symphonia

Banned
i hope this encounter has made you reconsider your homosexual lifestyle
I know that was a joke - or at least I hope it was - but you reminded me of a comment my father made about homosexuals 'needing to sit down, think, and stop being so faggy' and just ugh. It disgusts me how homophobic my parents are. And transphobic. And racist.

My parents are awesome.

I hope that!

And for my degree... I had some personal issues during my universitary years and it's taking a little bit too long to obtain it -.-

If you haven't changed your academic focus and at least six times, and idly meandered through that many academic disciplines, then you're missing out on the university experience (or that's what I tell myself).

(Biology, to English, to Cog/Neuropsych, to Philosophy, to Psychology, and finally to Religious Studies.)

DOWN

Banned
If you haven't changed your academic focus and at least six times, and idly meandered through that many academic disciplines, then you're missing out on the university experience (or that's what I tell myself).

(Biology, to English, to Cog/Neuropsych, to Philosophy, to Psychology, and finally to Religious Studies.)

Pre-Med Biology > Undeclared > Digital Media > Cinema Studies > Film > Cinema Studies > Marketing

Yeah, It's the way to do it

Bladenic

Why religious studies

Pre-Med Biology > Undeclared > Digital Media > Cinema Studies > Film > Cinema Studies > Marketing

Yeah, It's the way to do it

Validation for my life choices!

Why religious studies

I think religion is intellectually interesting. I'm not studying to be a priest or anything like that (that's something else), as a discipline it's more about examining various religions in a critical way, I think they also call it 'comparative religious studies', which kind of emphasizes how agnostic or impartial it should ideally be as a discipline. But I am thinking of becoming a Buddhist chaplain in federal prisons. The fastest growing religion in incarcerated populations is Buddhism, and these people largely convert while in prison, probably because meditation helps people to deal with their state of confinement. I'm really interested in meditation, where spirituality meets philosophy, and teaching or providing the knowledge that I have on things to other people, so I thought a job like that would combine all of my interests really well. I'm also perpetually undecided if I want to become a Buddhist monk or not, so something like this is like a bit of a middle ground.

3phemeral

Never jumped topics that much. If I wanted to learn something (like Anthropology, Brain Biology and Behavior, Psychology, Comparative Religion), I just took the class but retained my focus. I first studied Computer Science but realized that I was overly obsessed with formatting how the user interface was designed, so I jumped to Computer Animation instead, with a minor in Japanese language. I tried to do a double minor with CompSci but I was working two jobs and teaching dance, and became burnt out.

I did know someone who switched practically every two years. Eventually decided to go into pharmacy but he started years before me and ended years after.

B-Dex

Last night and today are like the best days of my life TBH. Harper gone. LiS finale. Star Wars trailer. Twitch app on PS4.

Halloween and my birthday soon.

It's almost too much.

&#127875;&#127875;&#127875;

Never jumped topics that much. If I wanted to learn something (like Anthropology, Brain Biology and Behavior, Psychology, Comparative Religion), I just took the class but retained my focus. I first studied Computer Science but realized that I was overly obsessed with formatting how the user interface was designed, so I jumped to Computer Animation instead, with a minor in Japanese language. I tried to do a double minor with CompSci but I was working two jobs and teaching dance, and became burnt out.

I did know someone who switched practically every two years. Eventually decided to go into pharmacy but he started years before me and ended years after.

I'm kind of idle-minded, I don't really have much conviction in my academic focus in the first place, everything is kind of an "oh that's interesting" thing for me, so taking a term or two of courses in it is how I end up vetting them :p

3phemeral

I'm kind of idle-minded, I don't really have much conviction in my academic focus in the first place, everything is kind of an "oh that's interesting" thing for me, so taking a term or two of courses in it is how I end up vetting them :p

I figured that I might as well take advantage of it if I have the resources available to me but who would have guessed that now you'd have Coursera, Udemy, Udacity, Khan Academy, etc to supplement or even provide the fundamental basis of your education? If only these were available back then. Are you taking advantage of any of these, too? It's incredibly overwhelming how much knowledge we have access to these days - and completely free. I don't even know how to satisfy my curiosity properly.

3phemeral

It's slaying me so much I have to post it twice, but Kamikaze by Susanne Sundfør is speaking to me right now.

hMNkm8

Tonight is the night that we might fall
togethaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I figured that I might as well take advantage of it if I have the resources available to me but who would have guessed that now you'd have Coursera, Udemy, Udacity, Khan Academy, etc to supplement or even provide the fundamental basis of your education? If only these were available back then. Are you taking advantage of any of these, too? It's incredibly overwhelming how much knowledge we have access to these days - and completely free. I don't even know how to satisfy my curiosity properly.

Honestly I'm kind of idle-minded when it comes to actually learning things in a disciplined and self-motivated way, too :p

Those resources do seem great though. I do spend a lot of time researching stuff, but it's usually more in a meandering or piecemeal way that ends up being pretty slow or unproductive. I recently learned that I have the 'distracted' (or discursive, or speculative) temperament (vitakka-carita) in commentarial Theravada Buddhism. Basically it's a lot of mental activity, but not characterized by very much actual progress, lol. The stuff that I do read a lot about consistently is basically religion, and sometimes nutrition, brain science, or bioscience, or whatever.

Actually, I think the one main and specific benefit that my education has received from the internet is that just by posting on forums for a decade or so, I've gotten pretty okay at writing. But like how I learn almost everything it's pretty much a byproduct of idleness :p

@ all of u:

what do you do when you have no drive to do anything except be at home and be generally unproductive

I try to get enough motivation to do maranasati (or mindfulness of death) meditation. Basically you contemplate over and over that "death is certain, life is uncertain", get chastened by the grim shadow of death, and disillusioned with how uncertain life really is, then maybe that will provide the motivation to proceed to actually do something :p

otherwise stay home and marathon tv shows.

3phemeral

Honestly I'm kind of idle-minded when it comes to actually learning things in a disciplined and self-motivated way, too :p

Those resources do seem great though. I do spend a lot of time researching stuff, but it's usually more in a meandering or piecemeal way that ends up being pretty slow or unproductive. I recently learned that I have the 'distracted' (or discursive, or speculative) temperament (vitakka-carita) in commentarial Theravada Buddhism. Basically it's a lot of mental activity, but not characterized by very much actual progress, lol. The stuff that I do read a lot about consistently is basically religion, and sometimes nutrition, brain science, or bioscience, or whatever.

Actually, I think the one main and specific benefit that my education has received from the internet is that just by posting on forums for a decade or so, I've gotten pretty okay at writing. But like how I learn almost everything it's pretty much a byproduct of idleness.
I think I'm the same way. It's one of those Wikipedia treks that take you down the rabbit hole of tangential learning. One interesting topic brings up another and you obsessively read until the sunshine is blasting through your window, calling you to work the next day whilst operating off of no sleep and little opportunity to convert just-read information into long-term memory.

And likewise with posting on forums really structuring my understanding of debating and communicating ideas. Only these days, I pick my arguments with more scrutiny and am less likely to plunge into a heated debate.

I've bought so many online courses, though, I really should commit to finishing them.

Monocle

Actually, I think the one main and specific benefit that my education has received from the internet is that just by posting on forums for a decade or so, I've gotten pretty okay at writing. But like how I learn almost everything it's pretty much a byproduct of idleness :p
This is me. Hi, me.

@ all of u:

what do you do when you have no drive to do anything except be at home and be generally unproductive
It's tricky. If I see someone doing something awesome, I get inspired to go out or practice some sort of skill. But if they're too awesome I get discouraged and just sit around. Maybe the solution is to have a hobby that gets you out of the house. Even if it's something like trying to make your Instagram more interesting, lol.

Sometimes I like to plan ahead a bit and have a few options for when I feel like being a blob. Things that feel like entertainment but are actually beneficial in some way, like a book on effective life habits (Eat Your Frog is wonderful), an educational podcast (Hardcore History, Stephen Fry's Podgrams), or a Youtube tutorial (I'm an artist, so I follow people like Scott Robertson, Feng Zhu, Proko, Sinix, etc.). It helps if this material fits in with a goal you have for yourself, like learning better time management or overcoming procrastination or getting a better grasp on history.

You know, there are lots of great educational resources on Youtube. Khan Academy, Stanford, Ted-Ed, Yale University. Full courses, even.

If all else fails, you can always browse for hunks on Tumblr. Inspiring and educational. Good luck dude.

3phemeral

@ all of u:

That happens from time to time. I'll want to watch something and I'll unknowingly be depressed and just sit and watch for hours until I've binged watched 4 seasons of Xena Warrior Princess. I try to mitigate it by being aware of my behavior and doing something physical, so I've been going to the gym every other day. Especially with me not being able to find work here and doing a part-time job which requires no physical or verbal interaction with the students using the lab. My partner is either on rotation or studying literally all day, it becomes lonely and trying. So I develop hobbies, like photography. I've gone out on -10 degree days just to take pictures at a nearby local park because I find it healing in a way. Looking at nature in all its extremes, even if I'm freezing my ass off, bundled in 20 layers of clothes and trying to keep my camera battery alive. That's also why I make animated gifs because it keeps me from going mad.

Primarily, my problem is I think about something too much. I have this thing where I dwell about something ad nauseum; I've had to encourage myself to operate on instinct. "Oh, it's a beautiful day. I should go to the park." And rather than think about how much effort it would be to get layered up, find my tripod, make a thermos of hot tea, I hype myself up by thinking about how gorgeous it's going to be out and what an amazing view it'd be. I can't count how many times I've visited this same park during various seasonal changes.

Hope that helps. :)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
That happens from time to time. I'll want to watch something and I'll unknowingly be depressed and just sit and watch for hours until I've binged watched 4 seasons of Xena Warrior Princess. I try to mitigate it by being aware of my behavior and doing something physical, so I've been going to the gym every other day. Especially with me not being able to find work here and doing a part-time job which requires no physical or verbal interaction with the students using the lab. My partner is either on rotation or studying literally all day, it becomes lonely and trying. So I develop hobbies, like photography. I've gone out on -10 degree days just to take pictures at a nearby local park because I find it healing in a way. Looking at nature in all its extremes, even if I'm freezing my ass off, bundled in 20 layers of clothes and trying to keep my camera battery alive. That's also why I make animated gifs because it keeps me from going mad.

Primarily, my problem is I think about something too much. I have this thing where I dwell about something ad nauseum; I've had to encourage myself to operate on instinct. "Oh, it's a beautiful day. I should go to the park." And rather than think about how much effort it would be to get layered up, find my tripod, make a thermos of hot tea, I hype myself up by thinking about how gorgeous it's going to be out and what an amazing view it'd be. I can't count how many times I've visited this same park during various seasonal changes.

Hope that helps. :)

Are those your photos? And all from the same park? They're beautiful.

Kevyt

Last night and today are like the best days of my life TBH. Harper gone. LiS finale. Star Wars trailer. Twitch app on PS4.

Halloween and my birthday soon.

It's almost too much.

&#55356;&#57219;&#55356;&#57219;&#55356;&#57219;

Happy early birthday gurl!!! :)

Any plans?

@ all of u:

Yoga, even though I'm not good at it and my coordination is poor. Try different yoga poses that I see on the internet. It helps me when II have no desire to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom