• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

That "thingsmypenisdoes" tumblr made my day. I briefly thought "aww this is pretty cute" but then it was just hotness (obvious NFSW reminder)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here know anything about buying a desktop PC that might be semi-custom? For example, if I generally know what I want in terms of OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and hard drive, what do I do? Do I buy a pre-built desktop and then switch out anything I don't like? Is switching stuff out easy? Do I buy a custom PC from sites that do that?

I won't actually be purchasing until mid-2016, but this is my first time buying a PC with gaming goals in mind and I'm already feeling totally lost. :(

NOTE: The PC I want will probably be fairly nice, but I'm not looking to buy a 980 Ti or Titan X. I want this PC to be able to play games released during the PS360 gen (nothing big beyond 2013) at 1080p/60fps on max settings. Example games are Starcraft II, the Bioshocks, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5, and Sonic Generations.

Psyren

Does anyone here know anything about buying a desktop PC that might be semi-custom? For example, if I generally know what I want in terms of OS, CPU, GPU, RAM, and hard drive, what do I do? Do I buy a pre-built desktop and then switch out anything I don't like? Is switching stuff out easy? Do I buy a custom PC from sites that do that?

I won't actually be purchasing until mid-2016, but this is my first time buying a PC with gaming goals in mind and I'm already feeling totally lost. :(

NOTE: The PC I want will probably be fairly nice, but I'm not looking to buy a 980 Ti or Titan X. I want this PC to be able to play games released during the PS360 gen (nothing big beyond 2013) at 1080p/60fps on max settings. Example games are Starcraft II, the Bioshocks, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5, and Sonic Generations.

Don't half-arse it and just go with a full custom build. I can't pull up prices on parts right now (I'm not thaaaat into pc hardware that I know all the prices by memory. Also I'm in bed on my iPod) but given your requirements u won't need much. My system is long in the tooth now but it meets your requirements easily...

As an idea here are my specs:

CPU: i5-760 OC'd to 4ghz
RAM: 16gb ram @1600mhz
GPU: HD7870 stock

Edit: when you're ready to start budgeting I'd recommend checking in with the PC-related threads for build ideas as well as places u can shop for parts. If you're in the US then consider yourself fortunate as you'll have a lot of options and opportunities to get parts on the cheap.

3phemeral

Ahhh, it's official. I get to move back to California this coming July. One more Michigan Winter to endure and back home it is. It's been 5 years here O_O

hMNkm8

sophora

Jelly of your art-style Masamuna ain't gonna lie haha...been practicing some coloring more than just sketching, just not used to it. I rather love using SAI though.

Razmos

Anyone here watching iZombie? It is actually pretty decent.
I love Izombie. Ravi is a total cutey and I may have been swayed by Major's body. I even have a girlcrush on Liv because her actress is just amazing.

Haven't watched the most recent episode yet though, might do that tonight.

I love Izombie. Ravi is a total cutey and I may have been swayed by Major's body. I even have a girlcrush on Liv because her actress is just amazing.

Agreed on all of this. Well minus the girl crush.

B-Dex

Let me Stan ABC for making Carlos Pena Vega do a magic mike routine to Pony and have Alex vogue in short shorts and do a disco number with an open shirt.

Bladenic

I watched half of S1 then stopped for whatever reason. Need to catch up.

Grakl

I hope that you get the job. :)
What job is it for?

People Analytics -- working with HR to figure out the best qualities of prospective candidates for jobs and how to make people more productive workers, basically.

Good luck! I'm sitting in a Panera bread trying to come up with an idea for this art challenge but coming up nil.

How are you?

Pretty good, pretty fukkin tired, I got rings around my eyes and shit and it looks terrible lmao

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Don't half-arse it and just go with a full custom build. I can't pull up prices on parts right now (I'm not thaaaat into pc hardware that I know all the prices by memory. Also I'm in bed on my iPod) but given your requirements u won't need much. My system is long in the tooth now but it meets your requirements easily...

As an idea here are my specs:

CPU: i5-760 OC'd to 4ghz
RAM: 16gb ram @1600mhz
GPU: HD7870 stock

Edit: when you're ready to start budgeting I'd recommend checking in with the PC-related threads for build ideas as well as places u can shop for parts. If you're in the US then consider yourself fortunate as you'll have a lot of options and opportunities to get parts on the cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice. I do live in the US, so I'm thankful for the sales opportunities. The thing with a full custom build is that unless it's as easy as LEGOs and K'NEX with maybe a few screws, doing something like that is terrifying for me, so I'd really like to avoid it (which is lol-worthy, since I technically have an engineering degree, but my electronics class was my worst nightmare and soldering is stressful). I see people talk about overclocking and heat distribution and fans and whatnot, and I just want something that works and won't melt. I'm a console boy who simply wants to catch up on a few games/play some co-op with people/work through a bloated Steam library, and since I'm already planning on getting a new computer next year, I figured now was the time. Maybe if I can find a friend who's already built a computer to help me with it, I'll do that.

Masamuna

I've procrastinated bad for Halloween. The hubby is going to fashion some dingy nails and fangs for me. Slap on some jeans, flannel and a hoodie and I'm thinking Portland(ia) vampire.

I guess it could be worse. I went as a member of TAPS /Ghost Hunters Hunters a few years ago. :-/

Psyren

Thanks for your thoughts/advice. I do live in the US, so I'm thankful for the sales opportunities. The thing with a full custom build is that unless it's as easy as LEGOs and K'NEX with maybe a few screws, doing something like that is terrifying for me, so I'd really like to avoid it (which is lol-worthy, since I technically have an engineering degree, but my electronics class was my worst nightmare and soldering is stressful). I see people talk about overclocking and heat distribution and fans and whatnot, and I just want something that works and won't melt. I'm a console boy who simply wants to catch up on a few games/play some co-op with people/work through a bloated Steam catalog, and since I'm already planning on getting a new computer next year, I figured now was the time. Maybe if I can find a friend who's already built a computer to help me with it, I'll do that.

No problem. I ended up OC'ing my CPU mainly because it was old, and because i had money to buy a decent cooler at the time. It really was slow at stock speed though. As for difficulty of assembly, it's really not hard at all, especially if you're going to go for a basic build (HDD, CPU, RAM, GPU, 3-4 fans) with no funny aftermarket parts. Motherboards are clearly labelled and the manual will tell you everything you need to know. If you're still panicky there are a ton of how-to-assemble vids online so you can keep them open on the side on a laptop/phone/tablet/wateva while you're putting it together. Don't worry too much about heat/airflow, modern hardware runs a lot cooler and a lot more power efficiently than older hardware. As long as you have 2 fans blowing air into your case and 1-2 fans blowing air out you'll be fine.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
LettersGAF, why is life so difficult and scary and complicated and stressful? Being alive is hard.

(A favorite song of mine with a relevant title.)

No problem. I ended up OC'ing my CPU mainly because it was old, and because i had money to buy a decent cooler at the time. It really was slow at stock speed though. As for difficulty of assembly, it's really not hard at all, especially if you're going to go for a basic build (HDD, CPU, RAM, GPU, 3-4 fans) with no funny aftermarket parts. Motherboards are clearly labelled and the manual will tell you everything you need to know. If you're still panicky there are a ton of how-to-assemble vids online so you can keep them open on the side on a laptop/phone/tablet/wateva while you're putting it together. Don't worry too much about heat/airflow, modern hardware runs a lot cooler and a lot more power efficiently than older hardware. As long as you have 2 fans blowing air into your case and 1-2 fans blowing air out you'll be fine.

Thanks for the explanation. Everything you wrote scares me, but I have some time to prepare and research, so maybe I'll be okay. Or not. Oh well, it's just a computer. Thanks again!

Psyren

Thanks for the explanation. Everything you wrote scares me, but I have some time to prepare and research, so maybe I'll be okay. Or not. Oh well, it's just a computer. Thanks again!

i didn't mean to scare you lol :<

But seriously PC assembly is fucking easy as well. The motherboard instruction guide will help you get it up, and like i said in my previous post, there are a ton of resources online when you start budgeting for parts and when you're ready for assembly...

EDIT: I just realized, nobody got back to me to let me know if there's a non-animated version of that rainbow ball thingy in the OP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom