• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I like Perfect Cell! Name change, now!

The funny thing is that I was loving every single jRPG during PSone and PS2 ears. Then I had an epiphany, realizing most of them were shits and only Final Fantasy was worth my time. I changed my name from Perfect Cell (...) to Perfo and began my life anew. I'm now a foundamentalist of FF and I don't play anymore jRPGs not-called FF.

I'm a more satisfied gamer than before. That's the best part of it.

Oh my..

The funny thing is that I was loving every single jRPG during PSone and PS2 eras. Then I had an epiphany, realizing most of them were shits and only Final Fantasy was worth my time. I changed my name from Perfect Cell (...) to Perfo and began my life anew. I'm now a foundamentalist of FF and I don't play anymore jRPGs not-called FF.

:jnc

edit: haha NeoGAFShitPosts got you in under 10 minutes

The funny thing is that I was loving every single jRPG during PSone and PS2 eras. Then I had an epiphany, realizing most of them were shits and only Final Fantasy was worth my time. I changed my name from Perfect Cell (...) to Perfo and began my life anew. I'm now a foundamentalist of FF and I don't play anymore jRPGs not-called FF.

That's pretty insular and crazy

Why do you feel those games are shit's now?

Tell me about yourself, Perfo. Aside from Final Fantasy, what else do you play? Do you even play anything else? I see your tag (lol) and I don't suspect of you being very big on western games either.

Motomu_Toriyama_by_Scelatio_1.jpg

There we go, fixed.

Synless

I'd rather play Xillia three times over than play XIII-2 or XIII again even if both games have better cinematography and visuals.
I'm the opposite, I will guaranteed play 13 and 13-2 before I play Xillia again and I loved that game.

Perfo... Wtf, so your gonna miss out on Bravely Default I take it?

Nohar

You made my day. Thank you.

Why are you guys always turn the FF XIII threads into a mess? Think I'm not gonna come back to this thread anymore, this is really annoying. .

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeah, screw reviews!

I know the game is bad but I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it! Heck, I'm even having fun with Blood Knights!

Also I need more console JRPGs in my life!

And I like Lightning! :p
I honestly don't care much about what reviews have to say either. As long as it's Final Fantasy XIII with a (albeit maybe slightly) more traditional FF world with an overworld, towns and dungeons, I think I'm going to like this game. So far I'm liking the large maps and the battle system.

The only drawback I see is not gaining experience for battles and only for completing quests. I'm not fond of that system but I'll wait and see how that works out.

So yeah, after spending 30+ hours with the demo I pretty much acknowledged a lot of things. I know all of this is pretty much known already for the people who have played the retail game but it's good info for those who haven't seen much of the game.

- Blocking at the same moment as the enemy hits gives you a "perfect block". It reduces the damage taken by 100% if it's a melee hit, and gives your enemy a debuff (Debrave, Defaith, etc, depending on the enemies weakness). If you perfect block magic attacks, 90% of the damage will be reduced and the enemy will -not- get a debuff.

- By spamming the block button, you'll be pretty much guaranteed to perform a perfect block. However note that your ATB gauge on that specific paradigm will go down the drain really fast.

- If perfect blocking isn't your thing and you want to stick with the regular block, make sure to block with the paradigm that has the most block stat. Trust me, it makes a huge difference (for example: blocking with the blackmage deals 250 damage while blocking with the heartstealer deals 40 damage). Imagine the numbers you'll be mitigating when the enemy hits you for 5000+.

- The final attack in the combo, be it through regular attacks or magic casting is almost never worth it, because they take way too long time. Experiment with your abilities and figure out how many button presses you need to press for it to become the final attack. Just before the last attack, cancel out of the combo and switch paradigm. You'll gain tons of more ATB and you'll get more dps throughout the entire thing.

- ATB recharges faster with a specific paradigm if you're not currently using it.

- Performing a perfect evade/roll recharges your ATB with 80% of the initial evade cost. It's always a good idea to try perfect evading in order to get the max out of your ATB, which essentially is your battle tempo.

- I figured out that having block/roll/any-defensive-move on one button (for example, circle) is A LOT easier for the brain to acknowledge that you need to go into some sort of defensive maneuver. You'll be paradigm switching very often in this game, and by having the defensive stuff on one button, you'll adapt to it much quicker.

I got plenty of other stuff in my mind but I've got to do other stuff for now :lol

Very useful stuff to know. Thanks for compiling these observations!

Reading this thread I wonder if I am one of the only ones looking forward to the story in a non-ironic way. Playing through the import I saw some interesting things happening, and it will be nice to understand what it's all about. I might end up being wrong and hating the story, but I at least plan on going in with an open mind.

Shinta

Banned

Reading this thread I wonder if I am one of the only ones looking forward to the story in a non-ironic way. Playing through the import I saw some interesting things happening, and it will be nice to understand what it's all about. I might end up being wrong and hating the story, but I at least plan on going in with an open mind.

I've always been looking forward to the story. An entire new datalog, side quests, 2 giant towns full of NPCs, more mythology details. And there's some stuff about Lumina I can't wait to talk about, but I'm going to just wait until I see the entire game first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, no, no, no! I'm not a Lightning or FFXIII-lore defender whatsoever! Don't count me in the Toriyama-love circle here :3. I simply love the XIII-trilogy because...

XIII: One of the best looking games of all time, art and technically. Godlike soundtrack. Fantastic gameplay.

XIII-2: The best villain in a Final Fantasy since Sephiroth. Best soundtrack in any FF, since FFVII. Ending is the best (yes, I personally think so) in any FF besides FFVII and X.

Lightning Returns: Seems to have the best combat system of any FF to date.

So yeah, I'm not in it for the lore! I'm in it for the graphical/musical/gameplay masterpiece!

Several fans here, including myself, are. Especially since it is the last part of the story. I did spoil myself of some key things, but I don't know the how or why.

I got a copy of the game today and played it for three hours.I really can't describe how silly the story is so far. I have finished XIII and XIII-2, but I don't know if I'm going to finish this one.

Gaz_RB

The amount that everyone is talking about Perfo would lead one to believe he was in the game.

Several fans here, including myself, are. Especially since it is the last part of the story. I did spoil myself of some key things, but I don't know the how or why.

I am! I really liked FF13 and 13-2's story and I am looking forward to it's conclusion in LR.

Does anyone know how often guest characters join your party?

I've always been looking forward to the story. An entire new datalog, side quests, 2 giant towns full of NPCs, more mythology details. And there's some stuff about Lumina I can't wait to talk about, but I'm going to just wait until I see the entire game first.

Glad I'm not alone on this. One of my favorite parts of XIII series is digging into the datalog and piecing together what's going on. The lore and mythos is rather convoluted at times, but I find it damn fascinating to explore. Some of the character stuff is a hit or miss for me though.

Wait, no, no, no! I'm not a Lightning or FFXIII-lore defender whatsoever! Don't count me in the Toriyama-love circle here :3. I simply love the XIII-trilogy because...

Haha I didn't mean to lump you in on liking XIII story/lore.

Does anyone know how often guest characters join your party?

Not that often. They join up during a couple specific main story quests. I hardly remember them being there for much of the game, and it's not like you can summon them to join whenever you want.

Shinta

Banned
Glad I'm not alone on this. One of my favorite parts of XIII series is digging into the datalog and piecing together what's going on. The lore and mythos is rather convoluted at times, but I find it damn fascinating to explore. Some of the character stuff is a hit or miss for me though.
Yep! I totally agree. And I only trust a tiny handful of people to really do it. Most people admit to not even reading it. I'm very much looking forward to analyzing all the details, and I loved the stories in XIII and XIII-2.

The story has interesting concepts but for me, when the dialogue/execution doesn't spoil it, the VA does. At it's very best, the VA is merely inoffensive with Troy Baker being the only one I can say gives a halfway decent performance thus far (Ali Hillis gives hints of a good performance, but because of the whole
"Lightning has no emotions"
thing, she comes across as terribly monotone and flat and at times inconsistent with what the story is saying
). At its worst, it makes it impossible for me to get into the moment.

Nohar

Once again, I want to say that the original japanese voices will be available as free DLC during the 2 first week following the release.

Loakum

Banned

XIII: One of the best looking games of all time, art and technically. Godlike soundtrack. Fantastic gameplay.

XIII-2: The best villain in a Final Fantasy since Sephiroth. Best soundtrack in any FF, since FFVII. Ending is the best (yes, I personally think so) in any FF besides FFVII and X.

Lightning Returns: Seems to have the best combat system of any FF to date.

So yeah, I'm not in it for the lore! I'm in it for the graphical/musical/gameplay masterpiece!

^ I have to agree with all of thee above here. FFXIII is the best looking FF game to date! and it's soundtrack is the best (but FFX's "Wandering Flame" is my all time fave FF track).

Panthers

That pic of the world in the OP trips me out everytime I open this thread. Just had to say that.

I havent touched any of the FF13 games, but I want to. Maybe they will do a trilogy package sometime in the future.

Once again, I want to say that the original japanese voices will be available as free DLC during the 2 first week following the release.

Good on Square Enix! I'll be sticking with the English track though, Lighting's droll and sarcastic line deliveries are amusing and I might as well finish the series with the same VA.

Yeah, but it's just so disappointing. I liked the English VA in XIII and, outside of Purple Prose Lightning, thought XIII-2 was pretty good as well (it helps that it had Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Liam O' Brien. Though Jason Marsden was also awesome), it was just the dialogue that made me cringe at times. I mean, looking back at it, the VA in XIII-2 was solid (outside the fact that Hillis can't narrate and Hope's VA doesn't do older men very well)... it was the writing that ruined it. LR... it's just bad.

Meh, I went ahead and ordered the game. I was thinking about waiting for a price drop, but I'm just gonna go ahead and get it at launch and start playing after I beat Bravely Default. I really want to know what happens and how the story concludes (even if it is ridiculous or "dumb"). And the battle system seems quite fun, so I'm looking forward to that.

Loakum

Banned
...*looks* still no shipping email. Oh Square Enix...why didn't you make your collector's edition of LR: FFXIII available in game stores? Ugh.

george_us

I actually tried playing FFXIII again but couldn't make it past the Sazh/Vanille parts. Good God those parts were so awful.

Yoshichan

I actually tried playing FFXIII again but couldn't make it past the Sazh/Vanille parts. Good God those parts were so awful.

Wasn't that, according to a lot of people, the "peak" of FFXIII? At least story wise?

Honestly, even though I'm not the biggest XIII or Lightning fan at this point I'm just glad to have another console non-Tales jrpg to play.

..speaking of Vanille....I can't believe she was 19 years old. She pranced around like she was 12. 0_o
That's a Japanese culture thing - there's this weird worship of youth (to the point that women over the age of 25 are called "Christmas Cake," because no one wants it after the 25th) and cute stuff (even though, according to western people who've been in Japan, no one likes it), so that sort of behavior is supposed to be appealing. I guess it works for a subset of otaku or something, but it's really stupid/annoying to non-Japanese people.

Wasn't that, according to a lot of people, the "peak" of FFXIII? At least story wise?

Never heard that here, or is that a pun because they were at the Vile Peaks?

That's a Japanese culture thing - there's this weird worship of youth (to the point that women over the age of 25 are called "Christmas Cake," because no one wants it after the 25th) and cute stuff (even though, according to western people who've been in Japan, no one likes it), so that sort of behavior is supposed to be appealing. I guess it works for a subset of otaku or something, but it's really stupid/annoying to non-Japanese people.

Sorry to be off topic but, Hahaha, where did you read about this.

Top Bottom