• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Chocolina in ff7? I'm sure if she existed at that time no one would've complained.

1780838_10152255922417125_622388736_n.png

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chocolina in ff7? No one would complain:

If I saw Chocolina in somewhere like the Wall Market in FF7 I wouldn't complain. I would complain if it was somewhere stupid like the Ancient Capital. You see Chocolina in places where I'm like, "You do not belong here."

Perfo

Is it true that Square is offering the original Japanese voice track as DLC, and free for the first two weeks ?

It's true and that's very appreciated I guess. They really listened to fans' feedback. Now... why skipping the superior english VA for JP VA? I intend to play the game FIRST in english, THEN in Japanese through a japanese copy. I'll finish this game tons of time.

It's true and that's very appreciated I guess. They really listened to fans' feedback. Now... why skipping the superior english VA for JP VA? I intend to play the game FIRST in english, THEN in Japanese through a japanese copy. I'll finish this game tons of time.

I like most of anglophone cast, but I can't stand Ali Hillis. She's just terrible.

RS4-

Maybe because my 360 is probably on the verge of dying but the game has performance issues.

I can't compare it to the ps3 version but the load times such, and there is occasional slow down when running around/moving the camera. And this is all in the first area of the game.

I don't give a shit about live anymore so I don't know how the social aspects are (or if they're running yet). But it did detect my 13 and 13-2 saves for the two DLC sets.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maybe because my 360 is probably on the verge of dying but the game has performance issues.

I can't compare it to the ps3 version but the load times such, and there is occasional slow down when running around/moving the camera. And this is all in the first area of the game.

I don't give a shit about live anymore so I don't know how the social aspects are (or if they're running yet). But it did detect my 13 and 13-2 saves for the two DLC sets.

I am very sure the game doesn't even reach 30fps.

Nohar

I am very sure the game doesn't even reach 30fps.

*blink* Seriously? Are you talking about some aeras of the game or all aeras in general? Are they some aeras where there are noticeable drop in FPS (I would like to know that for the XBOX360 version, but I guess you've been playing it on PS3)?

Perfo

Tell me about yourself, Perfo. Aside from Final Fantasy, what else do you play? Do you even play anything else? I see your tag (lol) and I don't suspect of you being very big on western games either.

I play few other games, but most of them are just fillers to fill the voids left from one S-E release to another one. If S-E was good enough to drop one game every month, that would be enough for me to live with!
Jokes aside, FF is definitely my current favorite series. It's just too close to what I want from gaming in this period of my life. Toriyama, Hamauzu and Kamikokuryo also happen to touch many strings that make me very emotional, so that helps.

I'm the opposite, I will guaranteed play 13 and 13-2 before I play Xillia again and I loved that game.

Perfo... Wtf, so your gonna miss out on Bravely Default I take it?

I'm an european and I already played Bravely Default. It's a good game, but definitely not great as it seemed from the enthusiasm here on neogaf. It's a niche game for a niche audience and a remake of 16bit jRPGs. 4 Heroes of Light 2.

You made my day. Thank you.

Thanks to you for being a fan.

I've always been looking forward to the story. An entire new datalog, side quests, 2 giant towns full of NPCs, more mythology details. And there's some stuff about Lumina I can't wait to talk about, but I'm going to just wait until I see the entire game first.

XIII games had a fantastic story and backgrounds, definitely the most interesting for me in the whole series. Maybe only Ivalice approaches that level of love for the lore, characters and stories these games narrated. Even if XIII-2 was written with the feet, lore still managed to save most of it. Also Noel and Caius.

Just finished FF XIII-2 again. The credits song is so amazing.

And totally fitting too. It tells about this new world arising. I never understood the complain about it not fitting. It's the most fitting evah :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
*blink* Seriously? Are you talking about some aeras of the game of all aeras in general? Are they some aeras where there are noticeable drop in FPS (I would like to know that for the XBOX360 version, but I guess you've been playing it on PS3)?

All areas in general. I played on the PS3 but supposedly framerate is even worse on 360 according to various accounts.

Nohar

No, the engine just isn't designed for open areas.

Hmmm, granted, it was already the case in FFXIII (Gran Pulse great plains weren't very enjoyable because of that for me) and FFXIII-2. *sigh* They could have improved this...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmmm, granted, it was already the case in FFXIII (Gran Pulse great plains weren't very enjoyable because of that for me) and FFXIII-2. *sigh* They could have improved this...

The game has more technical issues than just that...

What exactly was wrong with Gran Pulse on XIII besides the ground texture? It ran smoothly at least.

Perfo

What. You ninja'd your post. It said originally, "It's as bad as ARR on PS3, it just sucks."

Yes because I remembered how terrible is ARR. Sometimes 10-15 fps. I think never at 30 lol. XIII-2 and LR are definitely more stable for obvious reasons (less pc on screen).

Nohar

The game has more technical issues than just that...

Oh boy...

When can we expect reviews to come up? I think you wrote a preview already too, but I'm not very familiar with your work so I don't know where to look for it (sorry).

@SoraanTribal: It didn't run smoothly at all on Xbox 360, I can assure you.

kayos90

Yes because I remembered how terrible is ARR. Sometimes 10-15 fps. I think never at 30 lol. XIII-2 and LR are definitely more stable for obvious reasons (less pc on screen).

I would hardly call XIII-2 stable. It has quite a bit of technical issues as well.

Perfo

Isn't it the same engine as FFXIII?

The engine is the same for every title but modified for different objectives. ARR has the problem of having to do with an MMORPG style of game, that means alot of NPCs/PCs on screen and lots of actions happening at once. PS3's RAM can't keep up with the pace, results are really bad. PS4 version is very welcome indeed.

kayos90

The engine is the same for every title but modified for different objectives. ARR has the problem of having to do with an MMORPG style of game, that means alot of NPCs/PCs on screen and lots of actions happening at once. PS3's RAM can't keep up with the pace, results are really bad. PS4 version is very welcome indeed.

More issue with the GPU than the RAM but yes the PS4 version will be superior.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just didn't have any issues with the framerate in FFXIII and XIII-2 because drops in the framerate wouldn't really ruin the gameplay. In LR however, shit is HEAVILY timing based if you're into maxing out the battle performance... that's when the framerate becomes an issue.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Isn't it the same engine as FFXIII?

No, that was the original FF14 and it ran terrible even on a high end PC.

What exactly was wrong with Gran Pulse on XIII besides the ground texture? It ran smoothly at least.

The 360 version ran at 20fps in that area.

Oh boy...

When can we expect reviews to come up? I think you wrote a preview already too, but I'm not very familiar with your work so I don't know where to look for it (sorry).

@SoraanTribal: It didn't run smoothly at all on Xbox 360, I can assure you.

Review embargo is on Tuesday... which is release day. I wrote a review based on the Japanese version - you can read it here: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-import-review/

dan2026

Why aren't there many reviews for this yet?

Is this another situation of 'lets set the embargo date really late, so people won't know how shite our game is'?

LR Spoiler:

Okay, the whole "I have no emotions" thing was a horrible fucking idea. Lightning just met Fang, the woman she became close friends with in battle and fought side by side with. And what does she do? Nothing. Deer in the goddamn headlights. Bhunivelze taunts Lightning with Serah's soul? Nothing but "SERAH, WAIT" followed by a speech about how "I didn't even care".

Lightning has three modes: Emotionally outbursting, sarcastic, and monotone. That's it. There's nothing else to her character. She doesn't care, and she damn well lets you know it through her monologues. Which begs the question: Why the fuck is she doing any of this? She feels nothing, she cares about no one, she wants nothing... so what could possibly be her motivation?

The problem is: Lightning sure as fuck acts like she has emotions when she gives a motivational speech when she needs to. Or when the plot dictates she emotionally outburst.

This whole thing is so fucking stupid.

Go_Ly_Dow

The visuals/production values took a huge nosedive from XIII vanilla.

Guess they had no choice since fan base also took a nosedive.

The visuals/production values took a huge nosedive from XIII vanilla.

Guess they had no choice since fan base also took a nosedive.

That opening CG is so damn good though. Demo looked fine, although bits I've seen in videos certainly get a bit rough at points. Don't think it was ever laughable(dog aside), but it is surprisingly coming from the FF series. The amount of details in the various outfits is really impressive if nothing else.

HTupolev

The demo isn't really representative of the entire game.
Still, saying that it never reaches 30fps is a pretty big statement, particularly considering that I would not have expected the graphical load to have been balanced out in any kind of consistent way.

Perfo

Still, saying that it never reaches 30fps is a pretty big statement, particularly considering that I would not have expected the graphical load to have been balanced out in any kind of consistent way.

Game's like most modern games today. 30fps in closed areas, framedrops in open areas. You should be used by now after 7 yrs of gen. I don't know why Kagari is so picky about this when it comes to LR and then forgets to mention the problems that ARR suffers from regarding the framerate. A game that barely runs at 20 on PS3 when you're lucky.

HTupolev

Game's like most modern games today. 30fps in closed areas, framedrops in open areas. You should be usedby now after 7 yrs of gen. I don't know why Kagari is so focused on this and forgets how bad runs ARR instead on PS3. And I mean really bad eh...
Lol, choppy 30fps is hardly new to this gen. It's been a commonplace thing since the fifth-gen consoles. Always funny watching Goldeneye speedrunners look at the ground to keep the game running fast...

I don't know why Kagari is so focused on this and forgets how bad runs ARR instead on PS3.
Umm, because this is an LR thread?

Lol, choppy 30fps is hardly new to this gen. It's been a commonplace thing since the fifth-gen consoles. Always funny watching Goldeneye speedrunners look at the ground to keep the game running fast...

N64/PS1 Era was 15-20 FPS, but those are the dark ages so one can only hope this new gen will be the end of such things. Steady 30 is all I ask for! Would be neat if SE started releasing their JRPGs on the PC as well but I have no real hope for such things.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Game's like most modern games today. 30fps in closed areas, framedrops in open areas. You should be used by now after 7 yrs of gen. I don't know why Kagari is so picky about this when it comes to LR and then forgets to mention the problems that ARR suffers from regarding the framerate. A game that barely runs at 20 on PS3 when you're lucky.

I play FF14 on PC at 60fps.

I would play FFXIV at 60 FPS but the aliasing started getting to me so I settled for locked 30 and 4xSGSSAA. That game's built in FXAA is awful.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The average fps definitely isn't 30 though. It's worse than XIII-2, whose average was 26fps.

Perfo

I play FF14 on PC at 60fps.

Ah that's why lol, on PS3 is an unbelievable mess unfortunately.

Any chance the english version will feature any little change about any type of stuff other than the obvious english script? Like vocal songs changed to instrumental or bugs removed or stuff like that?

dramatis

I don't measure the fps on for ARR PS3, but it's not "20 fps if you're lucky". Rather, it's faster than that barring some intense battles. Considering that it is an MMO, it runs fantastically.

If a single player game on an engine that should have been optimized over the course of six years is running poorly even with shoddy graphics for an end-of-generation game, however, then you have to question the technical competency of the game.

The English version of the ending was much more beautiful. Though I thought...

Lightning said she was going to Snow and Serah's wedding. This version seems to indicate that she and her friends are apart
What you said in the spoiler
about going to a wedding
was a mistranslation, because that content/dialogue never existed even in the Japanese version. I believe I made a comment about how that was incorrect before.

Jeels

You are comparing an MMO to a single player game. But okay.

LR Spoiler:

Okay, the whole "I have no emotions" thing was a horrible fucking idea. Lightning just met Fang, the woman she became close friends with in battle and fought side by side with. And what does she do? Nothing. Deer in the goddamn headlights. Bhunivelze taunts Lightning with Serah's soul? Nothing but "SERAH, WAIT" followed by a speech about how "I didn't even care".

Lightning has three modes: Emotionally outbursting, sarcastic, and monotone. That's it. There's nothing else to her character. She doesn't care, and she damn well lets you know it through her monologues. Which begs the question: Why the fuck is she doing any of this? She feels nothing, she cares about no one, she wants nothing... so what could possibly be her motivation?

The problem is: Lightning sure as fuck acts like she has emotions when she gives a motivational speech when she needs to. Or when the plot dictates she emotionally outburst.

This whole thing is so fucking stupid.

Don't try and make sense of it. It will just make you more angry.

Top Bottom