• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, are we all even talking about the same thing here? I was thinking the part where Sazh
figured out that Vanille "killed" his son
... kinda dramatic.

Asd202

I told you guys Perfo is always drunk when he plays FF it also seems drunk when he is posting on this board! It's the only explanation!
Yes he is crazy :p.

Wasn't that, according to a lot of people, the "peak" of FFXIII? At least story wise?

Err, personally I think it might be. It's the one time in the game when I was actually invested in the characters and their plight. Sazh, if he wasn't already at that point, became the true star of FFXIII in my eyes, and I felt for Vanille.

Of course, it's also awkward. Yay, a date! A teenage girl and a man who I surmise to be in his late-30s to 40. Even if it isn't actually treated as such, it's down to that one line from Sazh. And it's also daft at places. There was no need for the soldiers to bring a coffin along to stuff him in. No head trauma. No sign of fatal injury. Jihl flat out says that she has use for the pair of them. Gee, it's almost as if he's not actually dead. Also, it makes little story sense why only Sazh's Eidolon pops up and Vanille's doesn't until much later on in a much more minor little situation in comparison. For goodness sake, she was willing to be shot. Did her Eidolon never think to come out, intervene and say "hold the fuck on, you can't just give up and decide for death like this!".

Peak of the whole trilogy story-wise is probably the Noel/Caius/Yeul in the Dying World stuff. I'm sure this is generally popular opinion, because no other plot thread in FFXIII-2 matches it. I do love the stylistic look they went with the Dying World before Serah snaps Noel out of it. Haunting reds and overly-contrasted blacks. And for some reason, Mog being able to kill everyone at the press of a button.

h3zg.jpg

Few hours into the game now.......... they can't be serious with THIS story right?

I mean, wow.... just wow :\

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
h3zg.jpg

Few hours into the game now.......... they can't be serious with THIS story right?

I mean, wow.... just wow :\

So fucking jealouuuuuuuuuuus! How the fuck do people always find games before-hand and I can't? I hate living in Sweden. So fucking legal and correct all the time.

Wait, are we all even talking about the same thing here? I was thinking the part where Sazh
figured out that Vanille "killed" his son
... kinda dramatic.

I actually really loved that part of the story.

Then again, I feel like I'm one of the few people who actually liked Vanille as a character (despite her awkward noises). xD

Jeels

I warned you guys.

No, you are just bias, like every other person with an opinion. Just drive by posting even though the folks complaining about negative opinions every other post are clogging up legitimate discussion on the merits of the game more than the "bias" folks.

I really want the Cloud costume but I'm not buying this at full price (probably not even new). But I did buy BD today to support the Final Fantasy series. :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No, you are just bias, like every other person with an opinion. Just drive by posting even though the folks complaining about negative opinions every other post are clogging up legitimate discussion on the merits of the game more than the "bias" folks.

I really want the Cloud costume but I'm not buying this at full price (probably not even new). But I did buy BD today to support the Final Fantasy series. :)

Not sure why a person who is biased automatically doesn't make a warning suddenly not a warning. A warning can't be biased just like a recommendation can't be a recommendation because it's bias? I don't even....

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not sure why a person who is biased automatically doesn't make a warning suddenly not a warning. A warning can't be biased just like a recommendation can't be a recommendation because it's bias? I don't even....

He is being sarcastic.

Not really.
FF needs less pop songs anyway.

Ehh, it depends. I reckon they had something really special with Emiko Shiratori and The World Festival Symphony Orchestra's rendition of "The Place I'll Return to Someday" (FFIX) which had both Japanese and English lyrics.

Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" (FFVIII) was not bad either. The peak was probably "Suteki Da Ne" (FFX) and it all fell downhill from there. Contextually.

I mean don't get me wrong, "Kiss Me Good-bye" by Angela Aki (FFXII) is tolerable if listened to casually but within the context of the game itself doesn't make any sense. And then of course you have the ones they chose for FF XIII and XIII-2.

Mr. RHC

Well unlike the XIII and XII songs, Eyes On Me actually had a proper meaning for the story and was a recurring theme in the game.

SougoXIII

I loathed Eyes on Me.

I'm not going to argue about the quality of the song since that's subjective, but you can clearly see that it fits with the theme of FF8 and relates to the various relationship within the game where as My Hands sounds like SE just go: 'Leona Lewis is popular right? Let's have her sing in our game, yay!'

MrDenny

Was watching the first few parts on YouTube.
The scene where lightning reaches the ark is so bad.
And I thought XIII-2 ridiculous time travel/paradox story couldn't be topped.

Falk

that puzzling face
Cutscene direction is basically non-existent, boring, static, with those strange pauses for every line...

Considering literally every cutscene in Xillia has animation of some sort and voice lines between English and Japanese are rarely always the same length timewise they did a good job. Especially with the fact that you could skip dialogue as fast as you read it if you so desire.

The majority of quest dialogue in LR has the participants standing like mannequins and using the same 6, maybe 7 gestures. Lightning Returns also has Guy-Whose-Lips-Clip-Through-His-Mustache-When-He-Talks though so it wins GOAT. edit: here. Minor subquest spoilers, obviously

So not to come in the way of the Perfo-Kayos friendship building exercise here but for those that have played the game, what can I expect in terms of difficulty for achievements/trophies?

It seems quite a few of them are secret and I didn't want to spoil any part of the game considering I've made it this far without having anything spoiled. Really just curious how much time it's going to complete all achievements/trophies. I did it for the other two games so would like to for this one just for the sake of completion.

Really easy in comparison to XIII/XIII-2. I'm not super duper magnifluent in kanji but I did it in maybe 40 hours. Requires half of a second playthrough, though. Much less if you beat the secret boss on your first, which is... doable, but if your only goal is the trophy and not bragging rights you'd probably spend less time overall just going through NG+ up to that point than trying to do it on the first run.

So would you say this is the game of forever if you're like me and at the moment don't care about story, enjoyed FFXIII and FFXIII-2 and just want a fun game?

HTupolev

I actually thought My Hands was an excellent aesthetic match for that scene.

I won't defend its lyrics in that context, but they didn't actually stick out to bother me, so whatever.

Lain

Perfo gained a new tag uh?

I wish Amazon.it would break street date and ship the game to me already =(
Along with the CE guide, naturally.

Deviant Art contest:

Be on the lookout - you won’t want to miss this contest! In celebration of LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII, we’re partnering with Square Enix to give deviants a once-in-a-lifetime chance to design a complete customization of Lightning! Submissions begin on launch day, 2/11/14, and we can’t wait to reveal who will be a judge.

Falk

that puzzling face
Songs are always a tricky thing because whenever you involve the clusterfuck that is today's music industry (Regardless of country) it pretty much turns into red tape hell of contracts and licensing rights and clauses and shit. The moment any music publisher worth his or her salt hears a big name and the term "international" the $_$s light up.

And then you have even more complex shit like separate rights for lyrics, the vocal performance, the master recording, who owns writing and publishing, regions, mechanical licenses, basically all adding up to a huge monumental edifice of bullshit.

Whenever something from the pop music world makes it across localizations either the game dev has money to burn, the composer has close ties to everyone involved in the song, some people got lucky. Or the artist in question is Utada Hikaru. (Hehehehehehe)

Deviant Art contest:
Be on the lookout - you won’t want to miss this contest! In celebration of LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII, we’re partnering with Square Enix to give deviants a once-in-a-lifetime chance to design a complete customization of Lightning! Submissions begin on launch day, 2/11/14, and we can’t wait to reveal who will be a judge.
That's some really unfortunate word choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Toriyama that's the judge. Knowing that people in the west care about Lightning must be quite the ego booster.

I really didn't like "My Hands" in XIII. I have nothing against the song really, but I just feel like its placement was awkward. But it was nothing compared to the placement of "New World" in XIII-2.... like ugh, totally ruined that one certain scene (you probably know what I'm talking about). A supposedly somber moment ruined by a music that sounds way too happy. I didn't mind it playing when
New Cocoon was going up and old Cocoon was going down and even when Noel and Serah were talking about stuff. But as soon as Serah started to see her final vision, it should have ended and a more sad piece of music should have started to play.
Just my opinion anyways.

Personally, I'm glad LR has no song like that to ruin scenes.
inb4 someone says the scenes are already ruined because of how dumb they are. :p

Just played the demo. The battle system seems alright, I'll probably enjoy that. Story is already nonsense but I've come to expect that anyway. Graphics in the opening area weren't actually too bad, but I know what horrors are coming later. Best part of the demo? Rewatching the trailer at the end and seeing "THE END IS COMING" throughout. The trilogy is almost over! :D

The Leona Lewis song damaged what could have been an okay ending to the first game. Considering what happened in the story, that ending should have been tearjerking. Instead I just wanted to pour bleach in my ears.

I'm not a fan of the Leona's song either, but New World in FF XIII-2 was pretty good.

Really easy in comparison to XIII/XIII-2. I'm not super duper magnifluent in kanji but I did it in maybe 40 hours. Requires half of a second playthrough, though. Much less if you beat the secret boss on your first, which is... doable, but if your only goal is the trophy and not bragging rights you'd probably spend less time overall just going through NG+ up to that point than trying to do it on the first run.

Nice, 40 hours doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks for the response, I appreciate the info.

Darksol

I think this is the first FF I've bought that I don't really want. My OCD brain just won't let me have 2/3 of a trilogy sitting on the shelf.

Adaren

So would you say this is the game of forever if you're like me and at the moment don't care about story, enjoyed FFXIII and FFXIII-2 and just want a fun game?

Haven't played more than the demo, but I have similar views about the series and am ridiculosly pumped for this game. Haven't heard anything but praise for the battle system thus far.

Top Bottom