• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

aravuus

Only a couple of hours in so far, but it has been surprisingly fun after all the negativity. Time limit is, of course, dumb as fuck but you get so much EP on easy mode, I don't think it'll be a problem like, ever.

I do miss the old character progression system though, grinding till you're op as fuck is a big part of every JRPG experience for me

LowParry

Been watching the wife play this one. God Lightning is so dull. Until we tried the Japanese voice overs. Now she's alright. Huh.

Peff

Worked for me, it's this one:

NH55XB6.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Zafir

Only a couple of hours in so far, but it has been surprisingly fun after all the negativity. Time limit is, of course, dumb as fuck but you get so much EP on easy mode, I don't think it'll be a problem like, ever.
How much EP do you get on easy then?

On normal you only seem to get a large amount in Chaos areas. I got 1 EP of the only chaos monster I've fought so far.

I possibly should have gone with easy and accepted the battles wouldn't be as tough. ><

nOoblet16

Only started playing it and got to the first city, Jesus this area looks ugly as shit. There is literally no lighting here lol, coming from Academia 4xx or FFXIII as a whole this really is something.

aravuus

How much EP do you get on easy then?

On normal you only seem to get a large amount in Chaos areas. I got 1 EP of the only chaos monster I've fought so far.

I possibly should have gone with easy and accepted the battles wouldn't be as tough. ><

The tiniest done-in-a-few-seconds enemies still give you something like 0.10EP, but seems like the normal ones give you around half an EP per enemy. So that's two or three regular enemies killed and you've got yourself enough EP for the... Time freeze ability, whatever it was called again.

Giolon

The tiniest done-in-a-few-seconds enemies still give you something like 0.10EP, but seems like the normal ones give you around half an EP per enemy. So that's two or three regular enemies killed and you've got yourself enough EP for the... Time freeze ability, whatever it was called again.

That sounds the same as Normal.

RpgN

I thought difficulty only affected how aggressive monsters are, you getting penalized if you die and not healing after battle?

Giolon

I thought difficulty only affected how aggressive monsters are, you getting penalized if you die and not healing after battle?

In Normal (and Hard), you lose 1 hour if you use the Escape ability (whether you died or not) to end a battle. In Easy, there's no penalty for using Escape.

Does the ability cost 1EP on normal too?

Yep. I found that in areas with a certain monster density, that by fighting frequently enough, I could earn enough EP back to be able to use Chronostasis again as soon as it ended and end up with a net-zero EP usage (as well as earning a good amount of money, item and ability drops, and quest completions at the same time). I played for like 4 hours last night and only ~6 hours of in-game time passed.

Carbonox

This game is actually quite fun though I'm finding myself with little to do in Luxerion. I'm still early in the game mind you, so I've only just got to the Warrens for the final part of 1-3. I didn't want to go by train to some other area until I was done here but there are very little side quests left. The ones that I do have left involve either finding items off of enemies that seem to appear at a certain time or by defeating some ludicrously powerful enemy that I no doubt have to return to later in the game.Then there are side quests which don't really give you any indication what you're supposed to (
That girl with the tears or whatever at South Station, what am I supposed to do?
).

I'm also not too keen on the lack of enemies or what enemies there are seem to be entirely random depending on time of day, as well as differing in strength which is a bit annoying.

I do miss having a party and set classes/paradigms but it's still a fun romp. Definitely gives off a spin-off vibe though.

Question: If I want to give myself more than enough time, I should spam Chronostasis at every opportunity and kill enemies for more EP right?

aravuus

Yep. I found that in areas with a certain monster density, that by fighting frequently enough, I could earn enough EP back to be able to use Chronostasis again as soon as it ended and end up with a net-zero EP usage (as well as earning a good amount of money, item and ability drops, and quest completions at the same time). I played for like 4 hours last night and only ~6 hours of in-game time passed.

Well then, guess it's pretty easy to keep the time still on normal too lol

Yep, Chronostasis and lots of battling, with focus on a large enemy when really low on EP can keep a day going a long time. I traversed much of the Wildlands corner to corner, solved many sidequests, and ended making one minor enemy go extinct on my first extended visit. In these areas, Reavers and the Chaos-infused Mekonektons or whatever both give good EP to keep things extended. One should be wary of triggering extinction on those useful enemies too early though. Ration them out.

Shinta

Banned
Question: If I want to give myself more than enough time, I should spam Chronostasis at every opportunity and kill enemies for more EP right?

More or less, yes. And it's hardest to do that in Luxerion out of the 4 main areas. The others have more monsters spread about at regular intervals.

MCD

I finished Luxerion and Yusnaan main quest.

Where to next? Wild Lands or Desert Dunes? Which one is easier?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yep, Chronostasis and lots of battling, with focus on a large enemy when really low on EP can keep a day going a long time. I traversed much of the Wildlands corner to corner, solved many sidequests, and ended making one minor enemy go extinct on my first extended visit. In these areas, Reavers and the Chaos-infused Mekonektons or whatever both give good EP to keep things extended. One should be wary of triggering extinction on those useful enemies too early though. Ration them out.
I totally forgot about extinction; how does it actually work?

Kouriozan

At first I was incredibly annoyed by the timer.
Then I had too much time where I had nothing to do
and I checked walkthrough and all to see if I could do something.

On one side, Square-Enix make a more open world FF, and then add a timer, that is just trolling from them. I do like to explore and experiment, but with the timer I'm running non-stop.
Oh well, I'll endure it and finish that trilogy for good.

Question, how connected is the world of LR? Is it possible to walk from the Dunes to say the Wildlands seamlessly? Or do you still have to use the trains to go between each area? Just curious mostly.

Shinta

Banned
I totally forgot about extinction; how does it actually work?

Kill enemies until The Last One appears, which is super strong and has more rewards. I believe enemies might even have a # of how many are out there in the bestiary but I'd have to check.

Question, how connected is the world of LR? Is it possible to walk from the Dunes to say the Wildlands seamlessly? Or do you still have to use the trains to go between each area? Just curious mostly.

There is a route for walking there, but I haven't done it yet. It's on the map.

MCD

Desert Dunes is easier, imo.

Wildlands boss is a biiitch

Great! I saved there!

Will continue tomorrow. Thanks.

And yeah, I was a bit harsh on the game due to the poor intro with me getting my ass kicked in the first missions and the stupid stupid time restrictions but now, I'm enjoying it more. At least the main quests.

RpgN

Giolon said:
In Normal (and Hard), you lose 1 hour if you use the Escape ability (whether you died or not) to end a battle. In Easy, there's no penalty for using Escape.

Okay, now THAT is harsh. There was no mention of it when selecting the difficulty at the beginning. But, a bit of challenge is a good thing. FFXIII's gameplay was fantastic for that reason. Challenge accepted.

Btw, I didn't do much today (too tired). I've done the demo section, finished observing the Ark and doing some Shemata preparations.

I'm pretty excited about the game, tomorrow I'll invest some serious hours in it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kill enemies until The Last One appears, which is super strong and has more rewards. I believe enemies might even have a # of how many are out there in the bestiary but I'd have to check.

There is a route for walking there, but I haven't done it yet. It's on the map.

One of the tutorials said the Bestiary says the amount but I couldn't find where. The whole mechanic of being able to make enemy types extinct is pretty cool.

Zafir

Ignoring the poor graphics, I think the world/map is a big improvement from what I've seen so far (Luxerion/Wildlands). XIII-2 had bigger maps, sure, but they were kind of lifeless in my opinion, Academia could barely be called a city, it felt like Palumpolum with a bigger map.

Caayn

Outside of the escape penalty does the difficulty change the time in the game? Does it run slower/faster depending on it?

Shinta

Banned
That's good to hear. Is it possible to exit like Luxerion and walk out into the Wildlands or are those two cities sectioned off completely and require the trains?

From Luxerion, the very northwest route takes you out to the Wildlands.

From Yusnaan, a route near the northwest takes you to the Dead Dunes.

From the Dead Dunes, you can go to Yusnaan on the southwest exit, or to the Wildlands on the North exit.

From the Wildlands, you can get to The Dead Dunes on the South exit going southwest, and you can get to Luxerion on the South exit going southeast.

From the Dead Dunes, you can go to Yusnaan on the southwest, or to the Wildlands on the North exit.

From the Wildlands, you can get to The Dead Dunes on the South exit going southwest, and you can get to Luxerion on the South exit going southeast.

Oh that's great. :) I was just wondering because while I liked the bigger areas in XIII-2, they all felt just like level select worlds that you went to because they were not interconnected. When things are interconnected, the world feels like an actual place, imo.

Gaz_RB

From the Dead Dunes, you can go to Yusnaan on the southwest exit, or to the Wildlands on the North exit.

wait really? I saw the path but couldn't figure out how to get past the door thing.

Practice Practice Practice Practice

Not only does blocking save precious life, but on a sizable number of enemies, Just Guard (blocking at the point of impact) will cause numerous beneficial changes in state (like instant stagger, stuns, etc), and in some fights is a near requirement.

If you need any inspiration, there's always this video again. I think it really is just practice.

If you don't want any spoilers at all, don't watch this 2nd one. But he also has another video up on his channel against the toughest boss in the game, and he doesn't get hit a single time.
He has a move that drains your entire ATB bar when you block it. And he perfectly juggles between only two schemas the whole time to save the third for blocking. It's crazy.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks! I figured practice would be a thing as I was getting SLIGHTLY better at it, but I'll check the video out too.

edit: oh I meant to ask this days ago but does anyone know if there are any items that shouldn't be sold? The generic things you find on the ground that say "can be sold" in the description... is okay to be sold, yes? I'm only asking because you never can tell, and I don't want to be screwed over on down the line when I need 200 Bronze thingies but I had been selling them all along.

Ricker

They could of left Guard at least take no ATB or something...so tired of hearing the boink boink of not having enough ATB to do anything,while the Boss pummels YOU non stop...

Right now I have 1 main mission that I have to wait another day to complete,because there was a timer inside a timer,one Boss that I come close but can't beat so far,about 5 sidequests that I have no clue where to go or do and another mission that asks me to go through the chaos infection...yeah right.

Guess I will travel to Wildlands,didn't go there yet until the I get returned to the Ark,right in the middle of a sidequest probably...

Shinta

Banned
edit: oh I meant to ask this days ago but does anyone know if there are any items that shouldn't be sold? The generic things you find on the ground that say "can be sold" in the description... is okay to be sold, yes? I'm only asking because you never can tell, and I don't want to be screwed over on down the line when I need 200 Bronze thingies but I had been selling them all along.

All I know is that in new game + you get access to the forge after you beat the game which allows you to upgrade abilities, weapons and shields. It requires components, and the drop rate for components increases in hard mode.

I've sold my soul seeds to that black mage guy so far, but that's about it.

In the components list in the guide, it shows:

LR Guide said:
* Mighty Material
* Sword Polisher
* Shield Polisher
* Holy Forgefire
* Demonic Forgefire
* Life Smeltwater
* Soul Smeltwater
* Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Mystical, Adamant, Scarletite, Orichalc and Crystal Malistones.

Don't sell any of the above.

LR Guide said:
* Platinum Ore
* Gold Dust
* Crystal Medal
* Silvered Medal
* Bronzed Medal
"Their sole purpose is to be sold in shops."

Most of the monster parts and random item drops seem to be involved in item collection quests for the Canvas of Prayers, so hold on to those: such as Green Leather, Niblet Hairball, Monster Mince, Cactuar Doll, and about 30 other random ones.

A side note I didn't realize, but all the monster notes that fill out Libra also have the added benefit of increasing the drop rate of rare abilities from monsters. Neat.

Good stuff Shinta, much appreciated.

I'm actually loving running around Luxerion doing quests, but I'm dying to get to a new location. The textures are definitely ugly and I so wish this game had a lot more visual polish to it, but at the same time it has great artistic beauty and atmosphere. That helps a lot.

MilkBeard

My area management seems to have paid off, because after exploring Luxurion up to the boss, I decided to wait to fight until I did some other exploring. Did some wildlands, then dead dunes, then the next day I finished Yusnaan in one day (barely). After that in the next day, I went and finished Dead Dunes and then beat the boss of Luxurion all in one day with time to spare. All that's left now is Wildlands temple.

I was nervous before but after spending a few days I got caught up. Things are going just according to keikaku.

So far the battles have been fun, and challenging on normal mode. I got a bad rating during the Yusnaan boss fight (0/5), but that was the battle that I realized that timing your attacks and defense play a very, very important role, almost moreso than equipment management to some degree. With the Dead Dunes boss, I finished with 19 HP on my last leg during the first try. Was a good fight. After that the Luxurion boss was a cakewalk because I was pretty high leveled by that point.

Top Bottom