• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Leeness

OwRm4fQ.jpg

Why can't I help this kitty (?) with its problem? I want to help it with its problem. I will wait here until the world ends if I have to.

LET ME HELP YOU KITTY-ESQUE CREATURE

Still think the story is, well, garbage, but it's growing on me. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Anyway, anyone else experiencing framerate drops? 360 version.

How's the ps3 one? Same drops?

Adaren

Not on the level of FFXIII-2 by any means. There're sharp drops whenever new assets are being loaded, and very occasionally in battle, but most of the time the game seems to be running pretty smoothly.

I've only been to the two cities so far, however.

baekshi

Banned
February 10, 2014 , 5:04 pm

Departed Shipping Partner Facility

FISHERS, IN 46037

someday I'll get to play this video game

SOMEDAY, mine has be like this...:(

February 11, 2014 , 3:14 pm
ELIZABETHPORT, NJ 07206

February 12, 2014
Electronic Shipping Info Received

February 11, 2014 , 4:29 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility
ELIZABETHPORT, NJ 07206

February 10, 2014 , 5:04 pm
FISHERS, IN 46037

February 10, 2014 , 10:01 am
Arrived Shipping Partner Facility
FISHERS, IN 46037

I had to contact Amazon today about that. Apparently, there has been a mix-up with the codes and they sent me mine a few hours after I contacted them. If I were you, I'd send them an email explaining that you don't have your preorder codes yet. Amazon is pretty quick about responding.

Just got a response from Amazon and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about when I said I had not received my preorder codes for the game. They said they can't help unless I can tell them the promotional code and the error message I receive when I try to redeem it. Was there a specific help section you used when you contacted them?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally today I'll be joining you guys and walk the same path with my waifu. This has been my favorite ff gen and I want it to end in an epic unforgettable way. Let's make it true!

MilkBeard

Still think the story is, well, garbage, but it's growing on me. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

How's the ps3 one? Same drops?

Yup, mainly when you go to the big areas like the Wildlands, the framerate seems to struggle. Also if you have a couple of main characters in the view at once during a cutscene.

OwRm4fQ.jpg

Why can't I help this kitty (?) with its problem? I want to help it with its problem. I will wait here until the world ends if I have to.

Same happened to me. I gave up after I wasted 30 minutes of in game time trying to talk/accept it's quest.

Leeness

I don't know what prevents accepting a quest honestly. If I see it in the guide I'll let you know.

It's time sensitive and has a pre-req.
Availability: 15:00 - 03:00
Prerequisite: Complete Main Quest 1-2

:D Thanks both.

I'm just not talking to it at the right time. Next time I okay, I will help the kitty :)

Same happened to me. I gave up after I wasted 30 minutes of in game time trying to talk/accept it's quest.

Hawthorne has the answer! The kitty knows time apparently.

HeelPower

So today I finished the dead dunes and a bunch of side quests.Many of them were touching and memorable , god I am starting to love this game.The dead dunes dungeon was excellent and challenging.I also loved the story there.
Some screenshots :

Demon's Souls Lizard reference lol You kill these to get stuff
Loved the art design of the dungeon and the gameplay there.The boss was really hard.
Some sidequests in luxerion.Armand the reporter quest.

This is also one of the best quests so far.Really touching and has several characters involved in it.Keep an eye on this quest guys.Ranulph and his journal.

The enemy variety and challenge is really well made.But man the dead dunes was so good.
For those of you who remember Bhakti from Oerba

There is a really good quest that concludes Bhakti's fate

I am really surprised at how reactive the NPCs are.They react and move around according to what is happening.

The game has so many details here and there.

The music is sublime every where you go.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think the battles are just way addicting, but maybe it's because I'm on Easy.
Getting drops is always exciting and trying to perfect your timing is excruciating, yet fun.

Lain

Guide and game getting ready to be shipped here! Only 4 more days before I get them then!

At least I grabbed the Japanese VA DLC.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lots of shit interrupting my plans of just going out, buying the game and enjoying it... out of all the days to fuck my life up, it had to be this one. Great.

I'm heading out in a couple of minutes to buy it anyway, but I won't be able to play it as much as I'd like to - situation in consideration.

I haven't kept up with the thread either, what does Perfo think of this game so far?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OwRm4fQ.jpg

Pretty sure this quest is day-specific, i-e while you'll be able to see the kitty kat at all times (unlike other quest gives who only pop up with the stars when they're able to give you quests), you won't be able to speak to her or initiate the quest until a couple of days in. Maybe 5 days in IIRC.

Cleared the game in just under 20 hours.

I have to admit, I liked the game a lot more than I thought I would.
Once you start getting out to different places and building your collection of garbs and abilities and such, the sky's the limit. I appreciate just how much customization you can pump into how you want to play. I will put many more hours into NG+.

I will agree that the main issue is the game's overall inconsistency in it's quality. Framerate is all over the place, but dips REALLY low and in jarring fashion. Man, the Wildlands look and run really rough overall in particular. Or at the start of the performance in Yusnan, and the game seems to dip into near single digits during the cutscene. Though some of the character scenarios are great, others feel sort of throw away or are a little annoying in execution. Dealing with Snow and dealing with Sazh are sort of on opposite ends of the enjoyment spectrum. The dialog is pretty cornball, though I did like that a lot of the BS Lightning spoke in XIII was thrown back in her face.

That being said, the negatives mos certainly do not outstrip the positives for me. The music is excellent. Aside from the first half hour or so, there's not a lot of idle time and I felt very engaged a lot. Doing well in combat feels fantastic. Pulling off perfect guard and attack combos and counters is unbelievably satisfying.
I don't think I've been in as much of a sweaty-palms and clenched-cheeks state as with the Bhunivelze fight. Holy shit.
Despite and obvious pull-back in graphical quality, some of the production of certain in-game scenes look fucking fantastic. The ever present effects that surround chaos looked really nice to me.
Like near the end when you speak to the apparition of Cid Raines and he's holding that ball of concentrated chaos and the camera is trained on his face looking through it. Wow.

Overall, I want to put in on par with XIII-2, as it was more fun to play through, though its faults are far more obvious. An odd balancing act, that's for sure. (For the record, I want to say that I really really enjoyed XIII-2) I want to compare the game to a christmas present wrapped by a child. It's not very meticulously done and a little messy with the tape, and it probably took too much time and gift wrap to do, but it's complete, functional, and quite the pleasure to unwrap.

I'm going to stream some more side quests and redo the ending later on, but I have the main missions all done (sans final battles) on stream and archived: http://www.twitch.tv/djplaeskool

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Too much exploration in Dead Dunes and Wildlands. Spent a couple hours on just one hour of in-game time; good stuff.

Adaren

When Lightning presents herself for
the role of the Savior in the Yusnaan play and rose petals fly up around her
. "Oh my god. This game is Bayonetta. I'm in love."

This game's sense of humor is great, and very self-aware.

aravuus

When do I get the freeze time ability? I want to start exploring and getting all the shit already with a walkthrough, but if it's right around the corner, I'll just carry on with the main quest for now

e: just left the ark for the first time so i'm right in the beginning

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Damn. I didn't get to play at all yesterday. It's Friday though. As soon as I get off work I'm gonna play the shit out of this until Monday.

That was one of my favorite scenes in the game

iSPyMpFL5tgXw.gif

MilkBeard

Oh yeah, I loved that part. It was actually pretty well done.

RPGCrazied

Can you go to an inn, rest and make days zip by to end the game, then start on easy(I'm on Normal now)in a new game plus? I would start over if I could, if I can keep my stuff. Really don't feel like starting over from scratch, nor do I want to get further than where I am and have to start over if I run out of time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCKING FINALLY!! PLAYING IN 3... 2... 1...

UNPAGQJ.jpg

eXistor

The game feel very low-budget and runs like shit on PS3, but I'm having fun with it like I thought I would, it's more in line with XIII-2 than XIII which is a bonus. Not a great game by any means (though I love the battle system) but it's an interesting one. Games that try to be different always get bonus points from me.

Can you go to an inn, rest and make days zip by to end the game, then start on easy(I'm on Normal now)in a new game plus? I would start over if I could, if I can keep my stuff. Really don't feel like starting over from scratch, nor do I want to get further than where I am and have to start over if I run out of time.

Yep.
I had finished the main story missions and was set for the world to end, and still had six days to spare. I'll go back and side quest it up some, but for S's and G's, I split my saves and skipped all the way to the end via inn.

Just finished it.....
Never laughed this much at game's ending before, what a rubbish....

Well, it's kinda a fun game with some good exploration and side quests and really beautiful music and the customization was addicted.

But seriously I hope this is THE LAST sequel we will ever get to a main FF numbered game because they are damaging the story sooooooooo baaaaadly.

... Who I'm kidding lol we will see FFXV-2 ;_;

jorgeton

This game really does seem like a hot mess from the impressions on here and reviews.

As someone who loved XIII-2, is it worth picking up now or waiting? Would a bottle of wine make the game better or worse? I'm thinking about picking this up tonight with some booze and having a party while waiting for House of Cards S2 to drop.

Wonder if that would make the story more tolerable or if I'd instantly regret it..

Ricker

Oooof..like many said,I am trying my best to like this game but what a god awful mess it is sometimes...I will not go into the whole time thing,it's been mentionned to death but the vagueness of it all is just too much for me I think...like for example,what's with the auto ability thing,I press the R2 that say auto switch or something but it always says no auto...also why do some of my attacks/magic etc,etc suddenly have a little lock icon besides them...I wanted to switch the auto slash from my Red Mage and put Aero there instead but I can't...?

Also why when I go to the Ark that it says Day 3,4days left...? isn't it 13 days..? shouldnt it say 10 days left...so I am trying to do the first main quest in Luxerion,that got interrupted because I ran out of time,but I have to go there at a certain time because the gate is locked otherwise...fine,I will to Yussan and start something there while I wait...but the main mission there gets way too hard at a certain points,with the few things I have...

Does this mean that I need to finish Lux first before going to Yussan...Wildalnds would be even harder as well,even though I can go there if I want...? there is no way of knowing where you need to go,or do or whatever...the maps and marking are awful,the schemata stuff is confusing as hell...bah,maybe I should start over now that I know a little more but still confused lol...
OwRm4fQ.jpg

No time,plus there is no way to know where to go to do this...you just stumble on it by chance...but you have to hurry up before you get zipped up to the Ark...lol

OwRm4fQ.jpg

Graphics are generally not a concern of mine (Xenoblade being my fav game of last gen is an example), but wtf @ those ground textures. And that cat looks hilarious. lol :p

I dislike the "???" over NPCs head that wont let you talk to them or accept the quest. I wish you could at least click on them and see when the quest was available.

Just got a response from Amazon and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about when I said I had not received my preorder codes for the game. They said they can't help unless I can tell them the promotional code and the error message I receive when I try to redeem it. Was there a specific help section you used when you contacted them?

I just went to the Help page and clicked on Contact Us. Then choose the order you placed, then "Promotions and Deals" in the dropdown menu, then "Other Promotions", then "Did not receive claim code." Then I personally chose "Send us an email" - I didn't wanna deal with live chatting with someone. Then just say how you preordered Lightning Returns for the PS3 (or Xbox360) and you did not receive your preorder bonus codes for the Cloud and Yuna costume and that you would like to get them as promised by Amazon. That's what I did and they replied within a few hours with the codes apologizing for the error.

Top Bottom