• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Shinta

Banned
Okay thanks... wonder how hard it is to do that. When you unlock the 14th day is there still a timer?

I would love a mode where you don't have a timer. They should have did that, maybe an unlock after meeting some crazy requirements.

The very, very final dungeon in the main game has no time passage. But that's a relatively small part of the game.

The extra 14th day actually occurs before "the final day" and grants you access to a new 33 floor dungeon called The Ultimate Lair.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, pretty much sums it up.

Pretty much. I'm really not sure how I'll actually pick a favorite entry in the trilogy.

The first game has unparalleled polish and spectacle, and many difficult battles. Fang and Vanille are amazing, and the OST is great.

The 2nd one has my favorite FF protagonist, Serah, and one of the close 2nds as well, Noel. Looking back at Caius now, he's a pretty fantastic villain too and seeing those battles again sounds really fun. And personally, I loved all of the deep time travel stuff, and Hope, and Academia, and even Alyssa.

And now this game with it's gigantic world, deep combat system, and huge collection of side quests and secrets? They're really all extremely fun and in different ways.

When I think about replaying all 3 in a row, it's just such a huge journey over 2,000 years. One of my favorite trilogies easily. Very much enjoying this game so far, and Lightning is most likable in this one for me. No contest.

Koozek

Never would have thought I'd have so much fun with this game :D I'm addicted, right now.

Oh, and I still don't know why I can always use "Arise" even though I don't have 3 EP. Anyone knows why?

Adaren

Never would have thought I'd have so much fun with this game :D I'm addicted, right now.

Oh, and I still don't know why I can always use "Arise" even though I don't have 3 EP. Anyone knows why?

You can use Arise with any amount of EP (up to 3). It'll restore HP based on how much EP you spend, so if you use Arise with only 1 EP you'll revive with 1/3 health. The spell is a special case.

And I am likewise addicted! It's been a long time since I was this excited to play a game. I'll wait to pass judgment until I've finished it, but right now it's seeming like a top-tier game for me despite the occasional technical hiccups.

eliza0224

The Yusnaan music is beautiful! I think I've made enough progress through Day 4, Chronostasis is really useful.. Should've started using it sooner :(

Question: Which boss is easier, the Yusnaan one or Wildlands one? Those are the only ones that I'm missing. (That I know of!)

And I am likewise addicted! It's been a long time since I was this excited to play a game. I'll wait to pass judgment until I've finished it, but right now it's seeming like a top-tier game for me despite the occasional technical hiccups.

Yep. After finishing the main Quest in the Dead Dunes, I meet
the "Last" Researcher.
(Light's interaction with this npc is funny.) Then the game introduces to me
EP treasure chest.
I then go to Yussnan and spend
6EP on a chest with some crap accessory inside.
Luckily the enemies are easy there so far, so I gained it back quickly. I am also introduced to Leveling Abilities.

Once again Light's interactions with alot of the NPCs are hilarious.

Go_Ly_Dow

Fuck the wildlands and the lack of teleport stations like dead dunes. Wasted a whole day running around trying to heal this fucking chocobo.

Ricker

This is the part I don't like about this game...I ran out of time for the Luxerion Boss,came close once so I escaped a few times trying over and the day ended...same thing happened in Yussan but that was a blessing,I was down to 2 potions and one Pheonix down and initially,you can't teleport out of there and there's chaos Infestations on the way etc etc...so the day ended there as well...

Now I say great,when I go back to Lux,I can probably beat the Boss...but nooo I have to wait 12 hours,because there is a gate that only opens at night...not even sure what will happen when I retry the section for the Yussan Boss,so I head to the Wildlands and im greeted with a bunch of time consuming sidequests with no direction on where to go to complete them probably....this section seems even more confusing since it's wide open...but I need to kill time right,so here I go...Synth and Forging is confusing as well.

I will probably finish the 13 days without even beating a single Boss lol...game is way too hard for its own good most of the time...oh well,might as well keep on trying at this point.

Go_Ly_Dow

well reached two major stumbling blocks.

wildlands -
caius kicked my ass out of oblivion

dead dunes - can't beat that fat monster blocking the doorway before you get the final things to get to the boss

no idea what to do to get stronger. lack of levelling sucks.

eliza0224

well reached two major stumbling blocks.

wildlands -
caius kicked my ass out of oblivion

dead dunes - can't beat that fat monster blocking the doorway before you get the final things to get to the boss

no idea what to do to get stronger. lack of levelling sucks.

Try some sidequests maybe?

Adaren

If the fat thing is an Earth Eater, then I found they were much easier once I started using more Wind attacks. It makes them stagger faster.

Also, Block everything!!!

Zafir

This is the part I don't like about this game...I ran out of time for the Luxerion Boss,came close once so I escaped a few times trying over and the day ended...same thing happened in Yussan but that was a blessing,I was down to 2 potions and one Pheonix down and initially,you can't teleport out of there and there's chaos Infestations on the way etc etc...so the day ended there as well...

Now I say great,when I go back to Lux,I can probably beat the Boss...but nooo I have to wait 12 hours,because there is a gate that only opens at night...not even sure what will happen when I retry the section for the Yussan Boss,so I head to the Wildlands and im greeted with a bunch of time consuming sidequests with no direction on where to go to complete them probably....this section seems even more confusing since it's wide open...but I need to kill time right,so here I go...Synth and Forging is confusing as well.

I will probably finish the 13 days without even beating a single Boss lol...game is way too hard for its own good most of the time...oh well,might as well keep on trying at this point.
You can save anywhere, so make sure you save before you take on bosses. That way you can just reload instead of escaping and losing an hour.
If the fat thing is an Earth Eater, then I found they were much easier once I started using more Wind attacks. It makes them stagger faster.

Also, Block everything!!!
They aren't worth the effort of beating them though. I think the only benefit I got out of killing one, was I happened to get a prayer thingy for the item that dropped.

That said, I guess you haven't got much choice if it is blocking the way.

Go_Ly_Dow

Try some sidequests maybe?

any you can recommend that will grant me something to boost my stats considerably?

there's the kill fuck tons of skeleton one which will supposedly give me a really strong weapon, but so burnt out on grinding them. need to kill another 25 and they're hardly spawning anymore.

wish i started on easy. also annoying how you can't switch difficulty mid game.

Love Final Fantasy XIII, bought day 1 and Platinumed, 3rd favourite FF.

Bought the Crystal Edition of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Standard because of the Tin Case from GAME, thought the game wasn't anywhere near as good as XIII, disappointed but easier Platinum.

Really want XIII-3, but XIII-2 burn and other financial circumstances that have arisen since, mean I'll wait a few weeks for it to hit £9.99.

Toth

Lightning's reaction to the chocobo firework sellers' secret words is hilarious. And Hope is just soaking it in lol

MCD

This game difficulty is absolutely fucked up. The Wild Lands' boss is seriously broken. MAGIC MAGIC LASERS MAGIC CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPTAIN

I was about to give up but luck was on my side by the third time.

nOoblet16

So seems like a lot of people are liking this game. Why is it reviewing so average?
Complaints for in the XIII series are very weird for me, seems to me that people don't like one aspect in one game and when the next game completely does away with it, they still don't like it. All three games are quite different from each other in the way they play out and the way the progression works, more so in case of LR.

Yet they all get the exact same complaints, it doesn't make any sense to me.

So seems like a lot of people are liking this game. Why is it reviewing so average?
Complaints for in the XIII series are very weird for me, seems to me that people don't like one aspect in one game and when the next game completely does away with it, they still don't like it. All three games are quite different from each other in the way they play out and the way the progression works, more so in case of LR.

XIII got linearity complaints. XIII-2 got complaints that, because of the Historia Crux, it didn't feel like a cohesive world and more like a level select screen, though was still praised for opening up. LR is getting complaints of being too ambitious for what the engine could come even close to handling and having uninspired design decisions, but was praised for creating a connected, open world. The VA was praised in both XIII and XIII-2 but has now come under criticism in LR. The visuals in XIII were universally praised, praised to a lesser extent in XIII-2, and somewhat panned in LR because to be honest, the texture work is horrible and varies wildly. XIII and XIII-2 were both praised for their level of polish, LR not so much.

Where you are getting "they all get the same complaints" is beyond me.

Sure, the game have problems that might be a turn off for some people, but I suspect that a few reviewers didn't fully understood the game mechanics. For example, the gamespot review don't mention anything about using EP to freeze time outside battles.

JerkShep

I need help finding Zaltys, does anyone know where I can find him? Against my better judgment I'm finishing all the Canvas of Prayers (done with Luxerion and Dead Dunes), and I have just one quest left in Yusnaan but I need Firewyrm Scale, which is dropped by Zaltys.

Go_Ly_Dow

really really regret choosing normal.

only chose it because even on normal XIII-2 was a piece of piss

fuck the difficulty spike and the lack of changing!!!!!!!!!1

MCD

really really regret choosing normal.

only chose it because even on normal XIII-2 was a piece of piss

fuck the difficulty spike and the lack of changing!!!!!!!!!1

It's terrible.

Wish I could buy Cloud DLC since I heard it's overpowered as fuck.

Shinta

Banned
I need help finding Zaltys, does anyone know where I can find him? Against my better judgment I'm finishing all the Canvas of Prayers (done with Luxerion and Dead Dunes), and I have just one quest left in Yusnaan but I need Firewyrm Scale, which is dropped by Zaltys.

Yusnaan - Patron's Palace
Yusnaan - Dead Dunes Highway

Leeness

tCKvmh3.jpg

Y'all, the Saviour of Fashion is here!

I enjoy making her look as stupid as I can at any given time.

JerkShep

Yusnaan - Patron's Palace
Yusnaan - Dead Dunes Highway

Thank you very much, I just managed to make him spawn consistently in one of the large rooms of the Palace. And Yusnaan done too! Only the Wild Lands left..but I think it will take a little longer there

neoemonk

Gotta say the positivity about this game in this thread is a surprise given the review scores.

A pleasant surprise since I was going to pick this up to round out the trilogy no matter what, but still a surprise.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Because most people in here saying that were going to like it no matter what. Stepping back and looking at the game's flaws as well as its positives... yes, it's definitely an 'average' experience.

Ricker

It's terrible.

It's good but not that much...your ATB bar is at half so that doesnt help against ennemies that hit you 6 times in a row,like those stupid flappy wing birds that swoosh all the time...god I hate those guys.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's terrible.

I mean I love challenge and hate easy games where you can just fly through everything, but some of the battles are so long winded and they just become a chore when you have to do them over and over again. Especially boss battles.

The thing I dislike most about the XIII games is lack of consistency throughout all three games with so many different things.

Like with difficulty...

XIII = no options

XIII-2 = Easy and Normal (both easy and no hard option). Free to switch between both in the menu.

LR = Easy and Normal. Normal feels like it would be hard in XIII-2. No option to switch. Only if you fucking fail the game and have to start from scratch.

Jeels

holy shit i dont care about your lives npcs. there is very little actual story here its just yap yap yap yap boring npcs saying shit i dont care about

Shinta

Banned
Because most people in here saying that were going to like it no matter what. Stepping back and looking at the game's flaws as well as its positives... yes, it's definitely an 'average' experience.

I don't want to argue or anything, but that's not really fair to say. If I said that you were going to hate it no matter what, you would probably find that insulting, and it would be invalidating any criticisms you have. No one's opinion is more objective than anyone else's here. Even Perfo has FF games he likes more than others, just like everyone else.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't like games no matter what. I'm really enjoying this game so far, and for a lot of different reasons than I enjoyed the first 2. I think it does a lot of extremely interesting things, and I can get very specific about what I think it does well.

I like all the FF games, but I still view them all critically. I have favorites, and I can go on at great length about past entries doing things I didn't like.

I've seen a lot of comments from people here saying they never expected to like the game as much as they are. The battle system and OST are fantastic. And the game has a huge open world with a lot of quests. While some textures look bad, some parts of the game look better than any Tales of game, like the temple in the Wildlands and the surrounding village, or Lightning's character model. And there's a ton of customization and tactical depth to be had in the menus.

I honestly think the game is going to be a cult classic, like The Last Remnant and NieR, which scored almost exactly the same. When the price drops and people try it, I think a lot will be surprised that they end up really enjoying it. It's not for everyone though, and I can see how the time limit stresses people out.

Cheska

Hey guys, so I'm only just at the beginning the game and am at the third main mission in Luxerion. Are you guys trying to accomplish as much as possible within the designated area before venturing off? I'm not sure if I should visit the other regions yet.

Jeels

Sheep freezing during the sheep quest in the Wildlands did it for me. I am not going to be completing the game.

For the record, I plat'd XIII and XIII-2. This is really garbage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Started playing Friday. Today is Saturday night (monday, basically)...:

M6JQm9o.jpg

Koozek

Dammmn, the Wildlands Temple boss (
Caius
) is so effin' hard, especially if you already used up your Recovery Items on the way :/ Argh, I might skip 3h so I can at least go to the Arc and refresh my EP.
Anyone here beat him? Is he harder because I'm on Day 8?

Zafir

Started playing Friday. Today is Saturday night (monday, basically)...:

M6JQm9o.jpg
Wow, mines like half, and I started on the same day, lol.
Dammmn, the Wildlands Temple boss (
Caius
) is so effin' hard, especially if you already used up your Recovery Items on the way :/ Argh, I might skip 3h so I can at least go to the Arc and refresh my EP.
Anyone here beat him? Is he harder because I'm on Day 8?
All mobs get a stat boost after day 7, so yes, it will be harder because you're on day 8.

Top Bottom