• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lone Survivor |OT| more Silent Hill than Downpour

Salsa

to update from that thread i made way back, figured a quick but proper OT would gather more attention (even if most of the work is already done at the game's website).

logo.png

whatis.png

Launch Trailer

Screenshots:

tinofpickles.png

orangeandteal.png

friendsforever.png

hole.png

pizza.png

Reviews:

Videogamer - 9.0

IndieMag - 9.5

IGN - 8.5

quotes.png

online demo!

Game is out right now on Steam at 10 bucks, but as usual you get a discount that leaves it at 8 usd for release week. Go buy it!

Doesn't really look or sound like a SH to me. Mind explaining why are they similar? And I don't count Shattered Memories as a SH :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Welcome Back Salsa! :)

Diamond

Doesn't really look or sound like a SH to me. Mind explaining why are they similar? And I don't count Shattered Memories as a SH :p

I think you'll see the similarities if you play it. It's a survival horror game (a real one, so you have very few bullets and have to gather resources) with a deep psychological aspect and a story that can change depending on your actions during the game.
There's also the setting : you're alone in a urban area with monsters and a few survivors who are acting... strange. Some scenes reminded me very precisely of some great SH moments. :)

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's completely the same, Lone Survivor has its own ideas, but it's just a very good horror game which has strengths in common with SH and exploits them well.

Dachande

Hey Salsa, here's a couple more glowing reviews you could link to:

Rock Paper Shotgun

Destructoid - 9.0

There's also an interview on RPS with the creator Jasper Byrne here:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/building-fear-lone-survivor-interview-part-one/

It certainly looks interesting. How long is it supposed to be?

About 3 - 4 hours first time, but multiple playthroughs are encouraged. Multiple endings, more than one way to keep yourself going, lots of small things that affect what ending you get.

I think you'll see the similarities if you play it. It's a survival horror game (a real one, so you have very few bullets and have to gather resources) with a deep psychological aspect and a story that can change depending on your actions during the game.
There's also the setting : you're alone in a urban area with monsters and a few survivors who are acting... strange. Some scenes reminded me very precisely of some great SH moments. :)

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's completely the same, Lone Survivor has its own ideas, but it's just a very good horror game which has strengths in common with SH and exploits them well.

Thank you :D I really don't trust reviews nowadays so I wanted player opinions :) Sounds good.

Diamond

Thank you :D I really don't trust reviews nowadays so I wanted player opinions :) Sounds good.

Well, I don't know if I am THAT reliable, but so far a lot of guys who have played it seem to have liked the game quite a bit. However, be prepared to be confused about the story. It's interesting to decipher once you're done but it's just not very clear. I personally enjoy games that try that but I know some people didn't liked it and thought it was vague just for the sake of being vague. Then again, a lot of what you do, even very simple things, influence the plot, so the game's gameplay-narrative connection is very interesting in itself and at the center of the experience.

Didn't mentioned the soundtrack which I think is brilliant for this type of game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFiBkP3krjs

Salsa is back, Wario64 is gone, they can't occupy GAF at the same time?
Anyways, I am freaking buying this, thanks Salsa and welcome back.

Ledsen

Looks pretty sweet indeed, might have to pick it up. Horrible trailer though, with what looks like small cut-outs of zoomed-in gameplay.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Jasper Byrne is a fine man and an amazing indie dev. Lone Survivor is worth your coin, people; it's damn impressive. It's also a horror game you can really play and excel at, which is nice.

Silent Hill's art director played Byrne's Soundless Mountain II (an amazing little 8-bit interpretation of Silent Hill 2) and dug it, so there's a hefty testimonial.

Good on him for getting Steam distribution.

Zia

Nice thread!

Edge review:

http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/lone-survivor-review

Eventually, however, hope begins to take root amid the delirium, and it’s a more than satisfying restitution for the struggle. Lone Survivor is an uncompromising game - perhaps braver than it is strictly enjoyable - but without that bitter pill it wouldn’t be able to offer that feeling of transcendence. Its clumsiness of presentation and lack of explanation might be partly excused as aesthetic choices that enrich even as they frustrate. But perhaps its truest accolade is in returning the horror of survival itself to the survival horror genre. [7]

eve241

I did see a huge grin instead of a mask on the protagonist's face.

But regardless, this looks really good. What I like about indie development in 2D nowadays is that people are really paying attention to the very (most?) important element of immersion.

Everyone has played a gazillion 2D games throughout gaming history, so it takes real creativity to impress and express something new and to make you believe in the fiction world being presented.

Teknoman

Snagged this and the Walking Dead. Need to finish Dead Space 2 as well (looks like this is horror week coupled with the Dead Space sale going on Steam now).

So I finished this earlier and got the "blue" ending. Overall, I'm very impressed with it and it's my favorite game of the year so far. Had a good challenge, awesome soundtrack and atmosphere.

Clott

Wish this was on the iPad, on a work trip currently and I can't get any sleep in this damn hotel. Anyway, this sounds really awesome and I will support when I come home.

Lain

Bought yesterday but only played for a couple of minutes, and yet that was enough for me to say that this feels like a little gem. Atmospheric, charming and creepy.

Diamond

By the way (beware, ending spoilers ahead), if anyone has infos on
a hypothetical third ending, I'll be glad to hear them. It seems logical you have one ending by type of pills, but last time I checked everybody ended up with either the blue ending or the green ending. I'd be very interested to know what happens in the third outcome.

Top Bottom