• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: DKC Tropical Freeze, Best platformer ever? In-depth analysis

phanphare

Banned
dolphin_emulator_logo.png

ok yeah that too but my laptop can't handle that

Lady Gaia

The game and soundtrack are criminally under-appreciated. Giant Bomb's GOTY dismissal of the soundtrack based on hearing snippets out of context on a phone speaker still makes me sad.

TheMoon

they need to port Returns to NX and have TF's control scheme. there's a great game in there but as of now it's either choose between 60fps + waggle or standard controls + 30fps on 3DS

THey just had to patch in New 3DS support to make the 3DS version 60 and we would've been golden.

The game and soundtrack are criminally under-appreciated. Giant Bomb's GOTY dismissal of the soundtrack based on hearing snippets out of context on a phone speaker still makes me sad.

The OST gets showered in praise on all weekdays ending in ~day. Also, Giant Bomb should be ignored regarding all things/opinions Nintendo lol.

The Hermit

Tropical Freeze and Returns are both the best 2D platformer ever, and I would say DKCR is the better one.

That's a fact

Broritos

It's the best 2D platformer. Played it from start to finish by myself and enjoyed every moment of it.

Decided to try coop with a friend recently to see how that works and thankfully its just as good. I'm used to assuming that playing coop in a 2D platformer would just devolve into killing each other because of New Super Mario Bros so I was surprised that trying to find secrets didn't feel like a hassle. But I guess that depends on who you play with.

He means:

have buddy = easier; keep buddy (skilled player does not get hit) => stays easy
lose buddy = becomes harder, no back-up safety net (novice player struggles more, gets punished faster)

But thats why they have bannana coins everywhere to buy items you can use like invincibility, extra lives, extra hearts, pitfall do-overs, etc. Even someone who sucks at platformers can still beat the game with the tools provided, and they didn't even have to resort to difficulty settings. That is excellent game design in and of itself.

BumRush

Is there a legal way to obtain ROMs via download? I understand you can buy a physical copy, and all that but I was curious if you could buy the games online.

----------------------------

On-topic...DKTF is easily top-3 platformers for me, such a well made game with an insane soundtrack

TheMoon

Is there a legal way to obtain ROMs via download? I understand you can buy a physical copy, and all that but I was curious if you could buy the games online.

I don't wanna be rude but I can't find any other way to say this right now: what are you smoking that you think this is something any game company would let you do? lol :D

But thats why they have bannana coins everywhere to buy items you can use like invincibility, extra lives, extra hearts, pitfall do-overs, etc. Even someone who sucks at platformers can still beat the game with the tools provided, and they didn't even have to resort to difficulty settings. That is excellent game design in and of itself.

Never said I agreed. To me that argument reads like "bad players get hit more so it's harder for them that there are obstacles while good players get hit less because they're good and can avoid them"

Haganeren

It's also my favorite plateformer ever... Only after Yoshi's Island though which will remain my favorite for... A long time.

I didn't even had the difficulty you had with the gameplay like making some move disappear because it's not practical or the grab is not that useful... I think it actually is in a lot of case but yeah, the real best thing about the game is the Level Design and i absolutly love those cartmine/rocket level too.

What an incredible game

BumRush

I don't wanna be rude but I can't find any other way to say this right now: what are you smoking that you think this is something any game company would let you do? lol :D

Why would a company let you pay for games that others are downloading illegally for free?

deleted

Thanks to this thread I fired the game up. I'm in world 5 and I'm chewing through lives. It is way harder than I remembered. I also like the graphics better than I remembered first.

When it was announced I was slightly disappointed that Retro didn't take more notes from Rares style, but this is also really inventive in it's setting and visually coherent enough to look very nice.

The only thing I can't warm up to to this day is DKs voice. Why they didn't take notes from his N64 appearances I will never get.
Same thing for Toad and Wario, they never sounded as good as their MK64 iterations again. Somehow they got pitch and samples wrong ever since.

I don't know if it's the GOAT 2-D platformer, but it's certainly up there among the very best. Fantastic game. I thoroughly enjoyed Rayman Legends and thought it couldn't be topped in this generation, but I think Tropical Freeze is simply superior.

Regarding the buddy, Dixie seemed the best to me because I ain't a very good player and it gave me a safety net, but I can imagine that if you go for very high level she is not so good anymore.

Every time I see a DKCTF thread I'm reminded that I only have the last world to beat on hard mode (DK only), but I'm too scared. :(

This game might just be my favourite ever though.

entremet

----------------------------

On-topic...DKTF is easily top-3 platformers for me, such a well made game with an insane soundtrack
Nope.

Not Nintendo.

ghibli99

I consider myself to be pretty good at games like this (100%'d all of the Mario and DKC games), but I liked having the "insurance policy" of items and buddies. Didn't even touch hard mode though. Normal was way more than enough for me in this game's case, and reading comments like "try not to break your controller" and "it nearly drove me insane" did nothing to convince me. LOL

Tesser

Everytime someone mentions Tropical Freeze, I'm reminded of the genius that is Windmill Hills' theme...and by extension, David Wise. I don't care if there are other tracks that are [objectively] better, this one specifically always puts a huge fucking smile on my face.

BumRush

Well SEGA and SNK sell ROMs technically on steam.

But if the poster meant ROM in the emulator sense, then you're right.

I really just meant is there a digital way to buy Nintendo games. I was 99% sure there wasn't and you guys confirmed it. Thank you!

I swear I've seen more LTTPs for this game than any other over the last couple years, and each one proclaims this as a true masterpiece!! I agree. I played this non-stop until I got 200%. It was all worth it (even the annoying bosses with no hits!!!)

Yes. Best 2D platformer ever in my opinion! Loved it so much from start to finish. I did had many frustrating moments however, trying to collect everything! All other 2D Kong games are great as well =)

The Hermit

The first game bored me and I never went back for more.

To be honest, I gave up in the middle and though it was a run-of-the-mill platformer, with no ambition whatsoever.

Then someone here posted that it took a while to click, but when it did it was awesome.

I played a bit more and did a timed-run and everything made sense then.

talking about Returns, btw.
Tropical Freeze is amazing from the get go.

TheMoon

How have we gone this far without any pics or gifs btw? Crazy town.

Something I haven't seen in the OP is that they brought back the water bounce from DKC3 for this game (but made easier).

ydxd4gdnuw5.gif

Davey Cakes

I have to be honest. After the first world of DKC:TF, I was a bit iffy. It wasn't much beyond DKCR, except for the soundtrack.

The second you start Autumn Heights with Windmill Hills? Instant magic. Holy shit.

Autumn Heights (World 2) and Juicy Jungle (World 5) are two of the best "worlds" ever constructed in platforming games. Seriously. Retro Studios was at full creativity mode there. The rest of Tropical Freeze is great too, but the game obviously had its peaks and valleys. Thankfully the valleys weren't bad, just lesser. No one likes swimming stages more than pure platforming ones, so World 4 takes a hit but overall it's fine.

The variety from stage to stage is pretty damn incredible in Tropical Freeze. I think it nailed the balance. Where the Mario platformers didn't quite hit the same perfect notes. I loved NSMBU but it was formulaic as hell (compare it's "World 5 generic Jungle" to TF's "World 5 Juicy Jungle") and Mario 3D World was fantastic but actually sacrificed world coherence for the sake of variety. Tropical Freeze always followed world themes, but remained really creative within them.

I never went beyond the initial 100% (as in, beating all the levels with all puzzle pieces and KONG letters) because I'm not interested in Hard Mode or Time Trials, but the main content of the game makes for a blissful platforming experience.

My biggest gripe: the boss battles. Creative, yes, but they dragged. Most would agree with this. I'm a fan of bosses that are tough but take a few hits, rather than bosses who are middling in difficulty but take too many hits.

Just started this today after buying it cheap almost a year ago. Only a few levels in so I can't really say a lot, but what I've played so far has been great.

Music and visuals are on point. DK's controls are a bit more slipppery than I was expecting though, but it feels "right" to have him move this way if that makes sense?

As a disclaimer, this is my first ever Donkey Kong Country game. I never touched the series before today so everything is quite new to me.
You're in for a treat. World 1 is just an intro. It gets better after that. Have fun!

Also, yes, the controls are interesting. DK has a lot of weight and momentum, but is also a bit floaty. It's a nice balance.

Just started this today after buying it cheap almost a year ago. Only a few levels in so I can't really say a lot, but what I've played so far has been great.

Music and visuals are on point. DK's controls are a bit more slipppery than I was expecting though, but it feels "right" to have him move this way if that makes sense?

As a disclaimer, this is my first ever Donkey Kong Country game. I never touched the series before today so everything is quite new to me.

The Hermit

...holy shit, I had no idea you could do that.

Sometimes I think Dkcr and Tf main issues is that is a game that is better enjoyed by people who decide to trully Invest and master its basics.

Its the Dar... oh shit, I don't wanna say it.

But it kinda is.

That's almost a good thing that you've never played a game in the series. You can simply judge the game for what you feel it is as a platformer and as a video game.

NathanS

Sometimes I think Dkcr and Tf main issues is that is a game that is better enjoyed by people who decide to trully Invest and master its basics

True for a lot of platforms, as a quick look at Super Play videos for NSMB U also shows.

Over all very great Platfomer, I'd still give the edge in 2d platformers to the best of Mario. I'd agree the level dragged on too much, and I was already feeling that about Returns. I really hope the time making super condense levels in NSL U filters into the next 2d Mario since it's also been seeing it's levels grow a tad too long for my taste. Bosses are a bit of a taste thing, clear a lot of people like involved Bosses so that the Boss feel more impotent, but at the same time for what is otherwise a fast past platformer they can feel out of place, like they would fit better in a game with a more Mega Man or Classic Castlevania pacing.

But like the long level that's more of nitpick.

JaseMath

DKC Returns was excellent. Tropical Freeze on the other hand felt completely unnecessary. It's a lot like Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that regard: some new characters, some great level design, but ultimately riding the coattails of the previous entries' hallmarks.

MrCarter

I recently bought a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country Returns all for £30. Can't wait to dive in!

The second you start Autumn Heights with Windmill Hills? Instant magic. Holy shit.

Autumn Heights (World 2) and Juicy Jungle (World 5) are two of the best "worlds" ever constructed in platforming games. Seriously. Retro Studios was at full creativity mode there. The rest of Tropical Freeze is great too, but the game obviously had its peaks and valleys. Thankfully the valleys weren't bad, just lesser. No one likes swimming stages more than pure platforming ones, so World 4 takes a hit but overall it's fine.

DK Island is pretty close to Autumn Heights and Juicy Jungle in my opinion. And if you've played Returns, the throwbacks to that game might even elevate it to the game's best Island. It's definitely the longest with 12 meaty levels!

I actually thought Sea Breeze Cove was a nice change of pace, and touched more on that thick atmosphere that was so prevalent in DKC games of old. Amiss Abyss was simply beautiful in that regard. Rockin' Relics was one of the most dynamic levels in the game (platforming in and out of the water that changed the music while lightning strikes causing all these moving parts), High Tide Ride is perhaps the best minecart level in the series, and Shoal Atoll was an unexpected nonlinear exploration level that made for great variety.

Smasher89

Tropical freeze was the game that reignited my fire to replay through a entire game in 1 session, which hadnt happen for a couple of years for some reason.
That was the second playthrough of the game, the week after I first played it through, it's that good!
The savannah world is a big favorite of mine, and the Rambo level there is pure gold!

I need to replay returns, but from what i can recall it felt like a "let's learn what a dkc game" is for retro studios, where Tropical freeze got more creative freedom and is much more enjoyable because of that!

DKC Returns was excellent. Tropical Freeze on the other hand felt completely unnecessary. It's a lot like Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that regard: some new characters, some great level design, but ultimately riding the coattails of the previous entries' hallmarks.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and DK Tropical Freeze unnecessary? Let's thank the flying spaghetti god that you are not in charge of Nintendo.

Just read this analysis over again, OP, and I think you're on point at each point. We'll thought out and explained. I just picked this up tonight and my wife and I are already at 2-2. We realize we missed a ton of the puzzle pieces and all of the secret exits, so we are looking forward to going back at 100%ing it all.

I wish the camera would pan out just a touch more during co-op, but I guess the point is to encourage you to stick together and tackle the level in unison. Still, it makes things just a tad tougher than it needs to be, but hey... We have a long way to go and that opinion could change.

Did you ever share your expanded thoughts on certain levels? I would love to read through those!

ryechu

I thought Tropical Freeze was rather underwhelming after playing Rayman Legends first. DKCTF did a lot of the same stuff as Rayman, but not as good; and the core gameplay wasn't as fun or satisfying as Rayman's.

you mean the core gameplay isn't as immediately satisfying as Rayman's. I'm sorry that you prefer the easier to understand of the two.

optimiss

Op, your section on controls (The Player) has a lot of complaints. I've never had any complaints about the way Mario controls in any of the main series' games (I consider them to be the best platformers). I have a hard time understanding how a game with so many control quirks can be the best ever.

Is everything else so good that you can overlook the control flaws? In my mind nothing is more important.

correojon

Just read this analysis over again, OP, and I think you're on point at each point. We'll thought out and explained. I just picked this up tonight and my wife and I are already at 2-2. We realize we missed a ton of the puzzle pieces and all of the secret exits, so we are looking forward to going back at 100%ing it all.

I wish the camera would pan out just a touch more during co-op, but I guess the point is to encourage you to stick together and tackle the level in unison. Still, it makes things just a tad tougher than it needs to be, but hey... We have a long way to go and that opinion could change.

Did you ever share your expanded thoughts on certain levels? I would love to read through those!
Glad you enjoyed it :) I haven´t posted my reviews on other levels yet. I wanted to play other platformers first to cleanse palette and come back to this game with a more objective view, because I´m so in love with it that I fear I won´t be able to review it impartially! I´ll upload 1 or 2 in the following weeks, I can PM you when they´re ready if you´re interested.

Op, your section on controls (The Player) has a lot of complaints. I've never had any complaints about the way Mario controls in any of the main series' games (I consider them to be the best platformers). I have a hard time understanding how a game with so many control quirks can be the best ever.

Is everything else so good that you can overlook the control flaws? In my mind nothing is more important.
I´ve read it again and it does seem like I complain a lot, but I think there are some things to consider:
  • When I say that the controls are different from Mario or Meat Boy I´m not trying to throw any shade on the game; they´re just a legitimate different control scheme.
  • I had played a lot of SMM, SM3DLand and SM3DWorld soon before this, so I was very accustomed to the Mario style of controls and some of my complaints come from there.
  • I think that the controls in this game shine once you understand how to play the game and improve as a DKC player. In Time Attack mode they´re really fantastic. But, if you try to play this game at a slower pace they have some flaws. This is specially evident in your first playthrough if you try to go after all Puzzle Pieces: constantly stoppping to look around or backtrack and change directions make the slow horizontal acceleration show up in a bothering way it doesn´t do once you start to play in more skilled ways.
If the controls were bad I wouldn´t have this game in such a high reward. But anyway, the rest of the elements of the game (specially the level design) are truly amazing. I think platformers have to be measured by 2 main aspects: the player (controls, skillset...) and the levels (level design, mechanics...). So, even though controls are a bit below what you find in Mario games, they´re not bad and the rest of the important aspects make up for it in a big way. I do think that this game takes a bit to get into, specially if you´re very accustomed to Mario and that it reaches it´s peak in high-level play which may take you some time to achieve (it did to me).

Top Bottom