• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: DKC Tropical Freeze, Best platformer ever? In-depth analysis

Glad you enjoyed it :) I haven´t posted my reviews on other levels yet. I wanted to play other platformers first to cleanse palette and come back to this game with a more objective view, because I´m so in love with it that I fear I won´t be able to review it impartially! I´ll upload 1 or 2 in the following weeks, I can PM you when they´re ready if you´re interested.

Please do. I'm looking forward to it!

Sayad

Borrowed a friend's WiiU(dude picking up a Switch) in anticipation for BotW and I've been catching up on WiiU games, really surprised to see this is the gem that stood out the most for me!

Can't remember the last time I cared about collectibles in a platformer. Taking things really slowly, haven't reached area 2 boss yet but I'm few collectibles and time attacks away from 100%-ing area 1. The music is the only disappointment so far, but it's mostly a let down from expectation due to some people saying it's better than DKC2.

NEO0MJ

Borrowed a friend's WiiU(dude picking up a Switch) in anticipation for BotW and I've been catching up on WiiU games, really surprised to see this is the gem that stood out the most for me!

Can't remember the last time I cared about collectibles in a platformer. Taking things really slowly, haven't reached area 2 boss yet but I'm few collectibles and time attacks away from 100%-ing area 1. The music is the only disappointment so far, but it's mostly a let down from expectation due to some people saying it's better than DKC2.

Good good, I knew deep down you had good taste! World one and even two have some of the weaker tracks, it gets better as you push forward.

phanphare

Banned

it is better than DKC 2 tho. the difference is that one of those soundtrack's has lived with you for decades and one is brand new. let it sit. it's at least on par.

Orgen

Music a disappointment being only on World 2? Come again when you 100% the full game to see if you still think the same ;D

Galdius

Even though I had this game since launch I only started to play it last week and today I finished World 3. It's definitely my favorite world so far. The visuals and the gameplay were amazing. I played Country Returns on the 3DS and didn't like it very much but this one is way better.

Yes beats the runner up NSMB Wii U.

The speed runs adds another level to the game, basically another game, you understand the level design is so clever in that mode.

I really enjoyed DKC Returns but just couldn't get into tropical freeze. The controls didn't feel as good to me. Maybe it's an input lag issue or something but yeah.

Mawile

Banned
From what I've played it was a decentish game, I think as time went on I started to grow less interested in it (particularly at the Owl boss and after), but something with the game never outright clicked with me. I got use to the way you control DK and everything and I can tell they put effort into it, but I'm just...not really that into this game.

NEO0MJ

From what I've played it was a decentish game, I think as time went on I started to grow less interested in it (particularly at the Owl boss and after), but something with the game never outright clicked with me. I got use to the way you control DK and everything and I can tell they put effort into it, but I'm just...not really that into this game.

That's unfortunate. It's probably my favorite 2D platformer, at least in recent memory.

Raw64life

I bought Returns on Wii and didn't care much for it so I've always ignored this game despite the heaps of praise it gets. Something about the controls in Returns just felt off to me.

I bought Returns on Wii and didn't care much for it so I've always ignored this game despite the heaps of praise it gets. Something about the controls in Returns just felt off to me.
If it was the motion control aspect that bothered you then don't worry since it's absent in Tropical Freeze. One of the best and most fun platforming experiences I've had. Each level was well crafted with dynamic settings that lead to different and unexpected platforming challenges/levels. The world was artistically beautiful and the music was amazing too. It really created some great atmospheric levels. This is one of my favorite levels of the game because of how exciting and fun it is to playthrough:

https://youtu.be/LDOmddtN7qI

ghibli99

I loved it, but man, it took me nearly two years of on-and-off play to 100% it. I think if there's any critique I can give it is that the levels are just a bit too long, especially when you consider the collectibles and some of the areas that require certain buddies to access, the latter of which is something that was worse in DKCR, if I'm remembering correctly. Still, it's a top-tier side-scroller. Those temple levels are some of the most fun, challenging, and zen-like experiences!

phanphare

Banned
I loved it, but man, it took me nearly two years of on-and-off play to 100% it. I think if there's any critique I can give it is that the levels are just a bit too long, especially when you consider the collectibles and some of the areas that require certain buddies to access, the latter of which is something that was worse in DKCR, if I'm remembering correctly. Still, it's a top-tier side-scroller. Those temple levels are some of the most fun, challenging, and zen-like experiences!

there's nothing else quite like getting in the zone for a tough Tropical Freeze level, which for those harder temple levels means eventually being able to breeze through the first 3/4's of the level and then struggle to finish the end lol

No. The game relies too heavily on scripted scenes, and the flow is always broken up in the retro games by weird mechanics, and so many collectables that it diminishes what a collectable is. Also no competitive mode!

phanphare

Banned
No. The game relies too heavily on scripted scenes, and the flow is always broken up in the retro games by weird mechanics, and so many collectables that it diminishes what a collectable is. Also no competitive mode!

you only need to collect the K-O-N-G letters to 100% the game fwiw, the others are totally optional

kunonabi

I'm probably going to leave 100% ing it for last. Getting shiny times on everything is going to take me forever. I can't even get the damn barrel trick to work.

Out of all the DK games I've played TF is definitely my favorite. If im being honest with everyone, I haven't finished the game yet. I got frustrated with some of the more difficult levels. If you want a challenge with pleasing and varied level design, TF is the one in my opinion. I need to go back and finish it though.

TheMoon

The music is the only disappointment so far, but it's mostly a let down from expectation due to some people saying it's better than DKC2.

That will change VERY soon. You will do a 180.

If it was the motion control aspect that bothered you then don't worry since it's absent in Tropical Freeze.

It's not absent, it's optional.

What game are you talking about? Relying on scripted scenes? Too many collectibles? You're in the wrong thread.

I like to think the OST grows on you, I finished the game thinking DKC2 was still the better soundtrack, now I'm not so sure.

Song quality is maybe debatable (though mostly comparable imo), but TF just has so much more. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like there's almost as many unique levels themes in the first two worlds of TF as in the entirety of DKC2. The mix of quality and quantity is nuts.

It's a gorgeous game, and it has one of the best soundtracks...but, as a Nintendo platformer fanatic and general platformer obsessive, I have never understood how people could love this game as much as they do.

I find the controls, like its predecessor, to be ok, but not great. It just never grows on me, beyond that point. The level design is excellent, but not something I think back on, often.

This is just one of those games I'll always like a lot, but am unlikely to ever love. Will replay at one point and see if I missed something or wasn't in the right headspace, but I doubt it as it's how I felt about DKCR, too in many respects.

DKC Tropical Freeze is not even the best DKC game, let alone "the best platformer ever"!

The title of best DKC goes to DKC2 Diddy's Kong Quest and its up there as one of the best of all time, certainly.

Griss

Can't believe I never saw this thread. What a fantastic OP. I agree with every word.

I've wanted to do a similar analysis of this game for a long time. As far as I'm concerned it's by some distance the best 2D platformer of all time for all the reasons you mentioned.

DKC Tropical Freeze is not even the best DKC game, let alone "the best platformer ever"!

The title of best DKC goes to DKC2 Diddy's Kong Quest and its up there as one of the best of all time, certainly.

Have you replayed DKC 2 recently? I find it very hard to believe you could hold this opinion if you had.

phanphare

Banned
I have never understood how people could love this game as much as they do.

I find the controls, like its predecessor, to be ok, but not great

this is why

the controls are god tier. the momentum and weight are so satisfying.

question, did you play using the dpad or the analog stick?

Song quality is maybe debatable (though mostly comparable imo), but TF just has so much more. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like there's almost as many unique levels themes in the first two worlds of TF as in the entirety of DKC2. The mix of quality and quantity is nuts.

They jammed so many quality tracks in here that my favourite plays on one small stretch of land at the very start of World 4 and nowhere else.

Doctre81

It's not even the best DK game.

05fcc170-82ee-0132-43d5-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

Have you replayed DKC 2 recently? I find it very hard to believe you could hold this opinion if you had.

right?

God I hate telling people their opinions don't hold, but, like... dude, DKC2 is positively dated next to Tropical Freeze. I played DKC2 for the first time in the last few years, so I don't have any of that rose-tinted shit going on, either.

ryechu

It's a gorgeous game, and it has one of the best soundtracks...but, as a Nintendo platformer fanatic and general platformer obsessive, I have never understood how people could love this game as much as they do.

I find the controls, like its predecessor, to be ok, but not great. It just never grows on me, beyond that point. The level design is excellent, but not something I think back on, often.

This is just one of those games I'll always like a lot, but am unlikely to ever love. Will replay at one point and see if I missed something or wasn't in the right headspace, but I doubt it as it's how I felt about DKCR, too in many respects.

The controls and the level design are both the best of the genre. The controls by such a sizable margin that I fear for the genre if retro stops making these games.

etrain911

This is an amazing write-up and while I found the game to be too frustrating for my skill level without the narrative payoff that usually inspires me to keep going in a game (Hollow Knight is the most recent example), I think the take-aways from game design you got are definitely worth learning.

Can't believe I never saw this thread. What a fantastic OP. I agree with every word.

I've wanted to do a similar analysis of this game for a long time. As far as I'm concerned it's by some distance the best 2D platformer of all time for all the reasons you mentioned.

Yes I have. Last year. And its sublime still.

TheMoon

Yo, how about this. DKC2 and DKCTF are both sublime. As is DKC and DKC3 and DKCR because DKC is the most consistently brilliant game series ever. Boom, there ya go. No need for rankings.

correojon

Hey guys if you liked this writeup check out the analysis I did on level 5-3 (Fruit Factory):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343573

Lol love how OP said that cranky isn't the best of the assist characters.
That monkey is broken as fuck.
After discussing it with TheMoon we agreed that Cranky is the best assist for speedrunning and high level play, but for novice-intermediate players that go at a slower pace, Dixie is the best one. Diddy is only useful in some very specific situations underwater.

I really enjoyed DKC Returns but just couldn't get into tropical freeze. The controls didn't feel as good to me. Maybe it's an input lag issue or something but yeah.
The game controls rely a lot on inertia and weight. DK takes a while to start moving, also I think the jump animation has around 4 frames of startup (which is quite a lot when compared to something like Mario where it´s instantaneous). He also takes some frames to stop and turn around. All this makes him feel a bit sluggish, specially when you´re learning the game and are going slow and carefully. But once it clicks and you start playing at higher speeds, it becomes awesome: the inertia system shines in this circumstance and it´s really engaging to get through the levels without stopping on the ground for a second.

The same happened to me (twice in fact) and it wasn´t until my 3rd attempt at the game, when I reached world 5, that the game clicked and became one of my all time favorites, to the point that I restarted it again and have played through all the levels many times in all the different modes (normal, time attack and hard mode). Try to make it to world 5, it has some really cool levels that can change the way you feel about the game.

The levels do feel long the first time, specially if you´re looking for secrets and going slowly seaching for the puzzle pieces, but once you find them you can actually beat any level in under 2 minutes.

there's nothing else quite like getting in the zone for a tough Tropical Freeze level, which for those harder temple levels means eventually being able to breeze through the first 3/4's of the level and then struggle to finish the end lol
I love this! This is the highest praise I can give TF: it´s incredibly easy to get 200% engaged with any level and get into the zone. The Temple levels are my favorites. I died a lot in them :p

Scripted scenes? Yeah, there are some setpieces, but you are almost always on control and you can play through them, so IMO they add to the experience. There are many collectibles but each of them serves a different function: KONG letters are there for those looking for an exra challenge and to teach you high level techniques, while Puzzle Pieces are hidden and make you actively explore and look for secrets to find them. Apart from their location, their basic properties are tailored to this end: after grabbing a KONG letter you must reach a checkpoint or you´ll loose it and have to collect it again, so you need mastery of the level. They are also placed in such ways that getting one doesn´t slow you down or force you to waste time, instead they are alternate routes to the basic one which most times are even faster. Puzzle Pieces are immediately saved when you grab them so you never have to collect them again. This allowed Retro to make them take more time as they are a one-time-event, so sometimes you have to backtrack a bit, solve a small puzzle or beat a minigame. It´s an awesome way to mix exploration, hardcore platforming and to provide changes of pace to the levels and I think it´s one of the best things about the game.

Thanks, glad you liked it! Check out my analysis of level 5-3, I think you´ll enjoy it (link is at the top of this post).

This is an amazing write-up and while I found the game to be too frustrating for my skill level without the narrative payoff that usually inspires me to keep going in a game (Hollow Knight is the most recent example), I think the take-aways from game design you got are definitely worth learning.
Thanks for the sweet comments! I can see how the game can become frustrating for some people, the difficulty is really some levels above the usual game. I did die a lot too (I think I may have died 500 more times playing this than Dark Souls) but finally getting through the challenges was incredibly satisfying. Check the highly detailed writeup I did on level 5-3, there are many game design-gold nuggest there (link at the top of this post).

VDenter

Banned
This game is fantastic easily the best DKC game. However music and some unnecessary motion controls aside DKCR was just as good overall yet it does not seem to get enough credit.

correojon

This game is fantastic easily the best DKC game. However music and some unnecessary motion controls aside DKCR was just as good overall yet it does not seem to get enough credit.

I completely agree. Motion controls prevented me from getting into DKCR, but later I played the 3DS version and had a blast as well. Only negatives were the blow mechanic (which I see it as unnecessary, it really doesn´t add anything to gameplay) and the 3DS ergonomics and the circle pad which are horrible for me and made my hands hurt a lot, specially with such an intense game. But it has almost nothing to envy to TF, it´s an equally awesome game in my eyes.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Playing grassland groove for the first time is my single best wii u experience. The blend of visuals, platforming, music and story is just magical.

Top Bottom