• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Fairy Tail 430-535
Hiro did what I thought was impossible, create another arc that somehow is even more horrible and complete shit then the previous! I mean the manga has been generally shit since the start, but it somehow keeps finding a new low almost every single damn arc (I didn't completely hate the other world arc so that's the one exception).

Lain

Only now learned about Hinata Takeda's death. This sucks. I liked Ikoku Meiro no Croisée and her art for Gosick was nice too.

R.I.P.

Chase17

World Trigger 1-5
So the world kind of has the Kekkai Sensen set up, which could be interesting. So damage done while trigger is on doesn't carry over? Thought we were going to get robot arm early on lol. The Kuga background is interesting and should be able to carry things for a bit. Thought the introduction to Osamu was alright too, and am curious about whatever was hinted at with him in chapter 1. Was weird to see a guy with glasses call another guy four eyes.

World Trigger 1-5
So the world kind of has the Kekkai Sensen set up, which could be interesting. So damage done while trigger is on doesn't carry over? Thought we were going to get robot arm early on lol. The Kuga background is interesting and should be able to carry things for a bit. Thought the introduction to Osamu was alright too, and am curious about whatever was hinted at with him in chapter 1. Was weird to see a guy with glasses call another guy four eyes.

The cool part about the trigger forms is that it lets battles have consequences at the time that aren't permanent like people losing arms/legs or "dying" and not being able to return.

A.J.

Banned
World Trigger 1-5

It's best to consider the trion body as basically the plot armor of a shounen battle series, but made into an actual plot point.

Weekly Shonen Jump #25

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (Cover, Lead CP)
1)My Hero Academia
2)The Promised Neverland
3)Black Clover
4)Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5)Kimetsu no Yaiba
6)Spring Weapon No. 1
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (CP)
7)Hinomaru Zumou
8)Samon the Summoner
Watashi no Cherry Boyfriend (CP, One Shot)
9)Robot x Laserbeam
10)Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
11)We Never Learn
12)Hungry Marie
13)Gintama
14)U19
15)Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Absent: One Piece

Issue #26

Cover, Lead CP: Hinomaru Zumou
CP: Food Wars!, Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Shot: Alice to Taiyou (by Totsuno Takahide)
http://i.imgur.com/Z9YAZMa.png

Not a great start for rxl, seems to be the benefactor of more series doing worse below it though I suppose it could have a spring weapon or samon survival. This was also for rxl's second chapter, last week we had a cp so it was unranked.

So Dr.Stone is the only healthy newcomer....sorta impressive in a bad way that only 1/6 are healthy. I say axing of Poro and U19 between issues #27-#30 and another small axing round mid July since Hungry, Stone (who should be safe unless it nosedives) and Robot's first volumes go on sale the 3rd or 4th of July. I'm going to guess if either of those two have decent volume sales ,Spring Weapon will be killed instead unless it's 3rd volume finally is able to debut in the top 50.

Conan-san

Someday World Trigger will get off hiatus, someday...
Untill they travel the multiverse that series will be on Hiatus even in running.

So Dr.Stone is the only healthy newcomer....sorta impressive in a bad way that only 1/6 are healthy. I say axing of Poro and U19 between issues #27-#30 and another small axing round mid July since Hungry, Stone (who should be safe unless it nosedives) and Robot's first volumes go on sale the 3rd or 4th of July. I'm going to guess if either of those two have decent volume sales ,Spring Weapon will be killed instead unless it's 3rd volume finally is able to debut in the top 50.
U19 needs to die already.

Usobuko

Banned
Ninyo Ouji By Ozaki Kaori

VGKuEZJ.jpg

From Kami-sama ga Uso o Tsuku author comes a compilation of sometimes quirky, sometimes sombre short stories. That's her trademark I guess.

Tejina Senpai 49

A more shameless person would make inappropriate comments about hand touching and playing with balls. But this is a wholesome posting environment, and fortunately I'm not such a person.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Weekly Shonen Jump #25

1)My Hero Academia
2)The Promised Neverland
3)Black Clover
4)Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5)Kimetsu no Yaiba
6)Spring Weapon No. 1
7)Hinomaru Zumou
8)Samon the Summoner
9)Robot x Laserbeam
11)We Never Learn
12)Hungry Marie
13)Gintama
14)U19

Issue #26

Not a great start for rxl, seems to be the benefactor of more series doing worse below it though I suppose it could have a spring weapon or samon survival. This was also for rxl's second chapter, last week we had a cp so it was unranked.

Zumou lead cover Yeeeeesssssssssssssssssss Yessssssssssssssss, been forever since it's had one of those despite numerous color pages.

Lagamorph

I'm looking for a good sci-fi manga.
Something maybe Star Trekky or sci-fi action, but preferably with a space/starship setting rather than just on a planet and it's the future. Preferably something that's been officially released in English so I can pick it up on the Kindle store rather than fan translations.

Is there anything along those lines? Either already complete or on going at the moment?

Something maybe Star Trekky or sci-fi action, but preferably with a space/starship setting rather than just on a planet and it's the future. Preferably something that's been officially released in English so I can pick it up on the Kindle store rather than fan translations.

Is there anything along those lines? Either already complete or on going at the moment?

World trigger is a really good sci fi action series that you can get officially in English digital volumes for. Series is on going but has been on hiatus for a few months.

Weekly Shonen Jump #25

1)My Hero Academia
2)The Promised Neverland
3)Black Clover
4)Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5)Kimetsu no Yaiba
6)Spring Weapon No. 1
7)Hinomaru Zumou
8)Samon the Summoner
9)Robot x Laserbeam
11)We Never Learn
12)Hungry Marie
13)Gintama
14)U19

Issue #26

Always happy to see My Hero Academia at #1.

As for RxL I feel that since, imo, the series goes upward in term of quality, it does have a chance of ranking better. I do think those first few chapters were the weakest.

You should try World Trigger and Astra lost in space.

Also ÉlDLIVE.

Zweizer

Banned

I'd suggest Planetes and Saturn Apartments.

ST&RS

Though it was completed and ended before it had a chance to be released here :(

elDLIVE is on viz free manga site too, or you could wait for manga volumes on digital kindle.

Zweizer

Banned
Tejina Senpai ch49

Well, I'm going to follow the exemplary discipline set by Battleship and absolutely won't content on how there's lots of hand action with sweaty touching and balls rubbing there.

Let's have some restraint for this once.

Beastars ch17

The mess is only getting started huh. Legosi is opening up at least.

AKB49 ch219

Murphy's law is a bitch.

dramatis

I think now would be a good time for Kubo to do another manga

lol

Fancolors

Beastars 17
I expect Legosi to be in conflict once he finds out. His development seems to be heading towards him becoming less passive about his desires, so I doubt it will end well for anyone.

Lain

Death Hall (Shiyakusho) Volume 1

I've been putting off writing my opinion about this after first reading it.

The gist of it is that after dying, people find themselves in a hall with various Officials which will help them write down papers to get accepted into paradise. The dead can decide to not write the papers and embark on a long walk into the void, where they'll disappear.
Obviously this means that each chapter is more or less a self contained story, with the recurring characters being the Officials of the Death Hall.

The first chapter opens up with a little kid who killed himself because of bullying and a constantly smiling Official, almost creepily. The author doesn't shy away from offering written details about what kind of bullying the kid was inflicted with and his reluctance in writing it all down to be able to be allowed to go to Paradise, even risking to be forced into the Void, felt pretty on point. The chapter has a bittersweet end, thanks to the young kid meeting one of his bullies down there and learning that his stepdad killed the bully after finding his own stepson dead and discovering what had been happening to him.
This gives the poor boy the push he needed to jolt down the info required for his application, because souls sent to paradise could be reborn and the boy, now knowing his stepdad loved him so much, has a reason to wish to be reborn.
These events are also used to give us a certain detail about the place that, at the start, Creepy Smile didn't tell us, by use of the bully who is, unlike the bullied boy, quite happy to oblige and jolt down the reasons for his death on the application form, only to find himself being hurled to hell because, as Creepy Smile inform us at the end, the application to paradise can be denied.

The other chapters deal with more or less the same levels of bittersweet stories. I felt bad for the young woman who died in place of her boss. She was happy to have sacrificed her life for him, because he helped her out giving her a job. Seeing the memories of her life has the sweetness of redemption as you see her being so happy to do her job and stuff, while the bitterness of her death is made even more bitter once we learn that her death wasn't an accident but instead it was planned by the rest of the staff. The only accident was her sacrificing herself to save the boss, the real target, as the other people were pretty dissatisfied with him, citing low pay for a tough job and not enough security. The final image of the boss sadly lowering his head to her family though left me a bit unconvinced of what those people claimed as him being a purposeful bad person. He could have been exploiting people in need but it didn't look like he was living the life while these people were suffering. Truly a bitter death.

The last chapter deals with a murderer sentenced to death penalty and gives us even more info about how the Death Hall is run.
First, the Officials are themselves people sentenced to death. People sentenced to death can decide to apply to become Officials, which puts the Officials into a new light.
The other piece of info it gives us is in regard to Creepy Smile. The character has been smiling all the time and even as he deals with this sick murderer he keeps showing that smile... until the last panel, after having managed to make the sick murderer (ran over kids to have fun) choose to embark on a journey toward the Void. It's then that he shows us his serious, angry and disgusted face. The man has little sympathy for assholes and his smile is only the applicants to paradise. I liked him much more after that.

So, I found this first volume pretty great. Bittersweet all around not just because it deals with death but also because of the type of deaths and the type of people involved, yet everything is shown and told in a pretty great way. The art for it is particular enough, nothing especially great looking but that I found cool.

I know this isn't scanlated, but if it's licensed in your part of the world or you can read Japanese, give it a chance, I feel it is worth it.

Peco

The gist of it is that after dying, people find themselves in a hall with various Officials which will help them write down papers to get accepted into paradise. The dead can decide to not write the papers and embark on a long walk into the void, where they'll disappear.
Obviously this means that each chapter is more or less a self contained story, with the recurring characters being the Officials of the Death Hall.

The first chapter opens up with a little kid who killed himself because of bullying and a constantly smiling Official, almost creepily. The author doesn't shy away from offering written details about what kind of bullying the kid was inflicted with and his reluctance in writing it all down to be able to be allowed to go to Paradise, even risking to be forced into the Void, felt pretty on point. The chapter has a bittersweet end, thanks to the young kid meeting one of his bullies down there and learning that his stepdad killed the bully after finding his own stepson dead and discovering what had been happening to him.
This gives the poor boy the push he needed to jolt down the info required for his application, because souls sent to paradise could be reborn and the boy, now knowing his stepdad loved him so much, has a reason to wish to be reborn.
These events are also used to give us a certain detail about the place that, at the start, Creepy Smile didn't tell us, by use of the bully who is, unlike the bullied boy, quite happy to oblige and jolt down the reasons for his death on the application form, only to find himself being hurled to hell because, as Creepy Smile inform us at the end, the application to paradise can be denied.

The other chapters deal with more or less the same levels of bittersweet stories. I felt bad for the young woman who died in place of her boss. She was happy to have sacrificed her life for him, because he helped her out giving her a job. Seeing the memories of her life has the sweetness of redemption as you see her being so happy to do her job and stuff, while the bitterness of her death is made even more bitter once we learn that her death wasn't an accident but instead it was planned by the rest of the staff. The only accident was her sacrificing herself to save the boss, the real target, as the other people were pretty dissatisfied with him, citing low pay for a tough job and not enough security.

The last chapter deals with a murderer sentenced to death penalty and gives us even more info about how the Death Hall is run.
First, the Officials are themselves people sentenced to death. People sentenced to death can decide to apply to become Officials, which puts the Officials into a new light.
The other piece of info it gives us is in regard to Creepy Smile. The character has been smiling all the time and even as he deals with this sick murderer he keeps showing that smile... until the last panel, after having managed to make the sick murderer (ran over kids to have fun) choose to embark on a journey toward the Void. It's then that he shows us his serious, angry and disgusted face. The man has little sympathy for assholes and his smile is only the applicants to paradise. I liked him much more after that.

So, I found this first volume pretty great. Bittersweet all around not just because it deals with death but also because of the type of deaths and the type of people involved, yet everything is shown and told in a pretty great way. The art for it is particular enough, nothing especially great looking but that I found cool.

I know this isn't scanlated, but if it's licensed in your part of the world or you can read Japanese, give it a chance, I feel it is worth it.
Man, I wish I wasn't part of the piss poor side of italian society 😥
Anyway, sounds like a cool read, I'll add it to my wishlist.

Boogiepop

Weekly Shonen Jump #25

1)My Hero Academia
2)The Promised Neverland
3)Black Clover
4)Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5)Kimetsu no Yaiba
6)Spring Weapon No. 1
7)Hinomaru Zumou
8)Samon the Summoner
9)Robot x Laserbeam
11)We Never Learn
12)Hungry Marie
13)Gintama
14)U19

Issue #26

...I'm just straight up terrible at predicting these things, it seems. Felt RxL was by far the weakest (and Hungry Marie was by far the best) of these latest series, but... nope, apparently that's not how the rankings worked out. Also felt that Samon and Spring Weapon were some of the worst Jump Starts, but they live on while a number of things that grabbed my attention died insta-deaths. Just out of curiosity, have those two developed well at all, or if I disliked those initial three chapters US Jump ran, would I likely find the rest of them to be much of the same.

(Also felt Black Clover was on the weaker side, but I've come around on that one and think that, generic as it may be a lot of the time, it's found its own niche. Whereas the initial chapters had a very strong, distracting "I really, really, really wanna be Naruto" vibe to them.)

Ascheroth

Oh yeah, since we were talking about Webtoons, I remember having read Carthasis a while ago. I forgot about it when it was at ~15 chapters and suddenly it has 100, so I have some reading to do :p
I don't know how it holds up now but I greatly enjoyed what I read. I'd classify it as a creepy supernatural mystery thriller with some legit great unsettling paneling and art at times.
It's hard to post good examples because it's very good at using the verticality of webtoons, but I've linked the prolog up there, check it out if you're curious.

The other chapters deal with more or less the same levels of bittersweet stories. I felt bad for the young woman who died in place of her boss. She was happy to have sacrificed her life for him, because he helped her out giving her a job. Seeing the memories of her life has the sweetness of redemption as you see her being so happy to do her job and stuff, while the bitterness of her death is made even more bitter once we learn that her death wasn't an accident but instead it was planned by the rest of the staff. The only accident was her sacrificing herself to save the boss, the real target, as the other people were pretty dissatisfied with him, citing low pay for a tough job and not enough security. The final image of the boss sadly lowering his head to her family though left me a bit unconvinced of what those people claimed as him being a purposeful bad person. He could have been exploiting people in need but it didn't look like he was living the life while these people were suffering. Truly a bitter death.

Sounds a lot like Death Paradise but it's more apparent whats going on

Conan-san

Blasted throuhg Six volumes of Black Clover and man when it isn't generic DBZ Battle Shonen (Or is that but with Yami basiacly giving zero fucks in the middle of what is bascialy the fight against Vegita) it's really fun.

Shame like 90% of it is generic DBZ Battle shonen.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Blasted throuhg Six volumes of Black Clover and man when it isn't generic DBZ Battle Shonen (Or is that but with Yami basiacly giving zero fucks in the middle of what is bascialy the fight against Vegita) it's really fun.

I was actually thinking about picking it up and boy oh boy does that save me some time.

Zweizer

Banned
Ayame 14 ch8

These are some pretty creative names. Good that they demonstrated that love can overcome any barrier, and for granny to finally confess her love.

A Room For Two ch13-15

Suddenly, a new (future) couple! A had thought Shouko to be a gyaru-type, but apparently she doesn't exactly fit.

Landlady's got the right idea, though I doubt most people would actually be that accomodating.

Catulus Syndrome ch6

Yuki's got a pretty ridiculously strong rival, though she's pretty friendly and doesn't look like she'd be competing for Ayano's affection at least.

DBZ? Black Clover is way more a combo of Fairy Tail and Naruto then DBZ. I think the battles in BC are super good and the Yami fight is like the best. He is way too badass and cool and amazing.

Conan-san

DBZ? Black Clover is way more a combo of Fairy Tail and Naruto then DBZ. I think the battles in BC are super good and the Yami fight is like the best. He is way too badass and cool and amazing.

Scholar of the First Sin (Though technically this is all FoTNS' fault): The problem is that it's much more fun when it's the characters bouncing off each other in wacky side adventures like going to mixers, the one female captain trying to get down the pants of the other captain or the Siscon guy trying to kill Asta and being completely unreasonable.

Also every single page Yami is on is a treat which really helped the fight against Licht because cramming the "Let's Learn "Hammon" " bit into the Vegeta fight is just class.

Like if the battles were less of the book and it was more stupid antics I think it would be a far better comic.

ACe of Diamond Act 2 chp 79

Coach left some really interesting and detailed comments, actually like how he feels so real like someone you'd expect to say that and how meaningful it is.

Sawamura's were great as were Furuya's and I have some faith that perhaps Furuya will start to improve. Also Coach comments almost made it seem like he had some doubts in starting Sawamura first in the games...

Okurmura and Sawamura having a deep detailed conversation though, awesome!

Great aura
DADNRPDWAAEanJf.jpg:large

Ascheroth

So, ~20 chapters into Catharsis now and I think I can finally give some sort of plot description, lol (chapters are fairly short so it's rather slow-moving).

Catharsis is about Leon, a student with Synesthesia (seeing sounds as colors). Recently he has some weird dreams in which he is a different person running from 'something'.
Then one day, on a regular delivery job, his dreams seems to become real as he finds himself confronted with the creature of his nightmares and gets rescued by 2 men who claim to be from the organization 'Catharsis', who are dealing with those monsters that feed on fear. But that encounter isn't exactly rosy and it's no 'you are special, join us!'-situation.

In any case, you should read it anyway because the art and panelling are legit. I can't really showcase the latter in a post, so you'll just have to trust me on that :p (or give the prolog a quick check).

Should be noted that there hasn't really been much action yet, but it may or may not turn more action-heavy later on. I'll may or may not keep you updated.
Edit: As of chapter 50 I can say that there haven't been any battles yet. It's more psychological/exorcism.

Scholar of the First Sin (Though technically this is all FoTNS' fault): The problem is that it's much more fun when it's the characters bouncing off each other in wacky side adventures like going to mixers, the one female captain trying to get down the pants of the other captain or the Siscon guy trying to kill Asta and being completely unreasonable.

Also every single page Yami is on is a treat which really helped the fight against Licht because cramming the "Let's Learn "Hammon" " bit into the Vegeta fight is just class.

Like if the battles were less of the book and it was more stupid antics I think it would be a far better comic.
Well I don't disagree with the fact that the character dynamic is one of Black Clover strength! I don't know if I agree with the less fight part though, but opinions!

Weekly Shonen Jump #25

1)My Hero Academia
2)The Promised Neverland
3)Black Clover
4)Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5)Kimetsu no Yaiba
6)Spring Weapon No. 1
7)Hinomaru Zumou
8)Samon the Summoner
9)Robot x Laserbeam
11)We Never Learn
12)Hungry Marie
13)Gintama
14)U19

Issue #26

Still disappointed by Hungry Marie ranking. Its the one I wanted to succeed the most.

Feel like I am in a minority here with Hungry Mare as I can't see why everyone's been praising it. Might just be a difference in tastes, however.

ElFly

Minamoto-kun no Monogatari

Asahi is back!

honestly Asahi is the only girl I am interested in Minamoto banging. Her being is great

Top Bottom