• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Tokyo Ghoul:re 144
Starring:
Kaneki "King" Ken
Kaneki "Sasaki Haise" Ken
Kaneki "No. 240" Ken

Enemy Combatant:
S3 Squad
Oggai Squad

Guest Starring:
Juuzou Suzuya

Created and directed by:
Ishida Sui

So, I've been trying to remember the titles of two manga to no avail. I hope the experts here can help me.

The first one is a collection of short horror stories. It's not the scream-worthy kind but rather the kind that linger in you mind as you're trying to sleep. I hope you appreciate the urgency of me remembering this so I can finally purge it from my mind.

One story I can recall from it is about a student who sees somebody (a teacher?) in a building across, through a window. Then he notices some sort of an apparition besides that teacher. That's the last time he sees of him.

The second one is a short collection of bizarre happenings in a quiet town. I think one of the stories involves a schoolgirl who kills and beheads her best friend then immediately feels remorse. Then it turns out the head is still alive, forgives her and they remain best friends forever.

Chase17

Astra Lost in Space 43
Just everything getting put out on the table now. Guess it makes sense since it is the second to last stop.

Both of those sound like Junji Ito works lol

Naw, it's definitely not Junji Ito. I'm scared of his works because they just seem too visually gruesome for me so I never read any, haha. The first one is not gruesome; just really eerie. Aa, I remember another story in which a boy refuses to look to his right because he feels like there'd be something there. It turns out there actually is, but until the end he never knows.

The second one's artstyle is pretty simplistic and clean, if I remember correctly, that you could mistake it for a slice-of-life. I thought it was Dowman Sayman's at first because it feels like his kind of weirdness, but apparently not.

Zweizer

Banned
The second one's artstyle is pretty simplistic and clean, if I remember correctly, that you could mistake it for a slice-of-life. I thought it was Dowman Sayman's at first because it feels like his kind of weirdness, but apparently not.

I thought about Dowman Sayman too, but since you said it wasn't the case, maybe Terrarium in Drawer? That's the only other collection of short stories that comes to mind for me.

Zweizer

Banned
Hatarakanai Futari ch83-188

img000001j7sls.png

img0000022usvo.png

This continues! Hurray!

As always, the siblings remain jobless, but the various bits of their past were pretty interesting. If anything, Mamoru is too kind and considerate towards his sister, and it's pretty blatantly implied that he chose to became a NEET himself in order to not leave his sister behind as the sole jobless shut-in.

More importantly, their interactions with their peeping neighbour, Kuraki, were pretty heartwarming to witness, especially with how she managed to slowly crack open Haruko's introverted shell. In a way, it's led to them being slowly more active again, just barely.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Viz announced they are doing the other two jump starts, not that there was any doubt.

I remember the one shot for Golem Hearts enough to go "eh." and also looks like Shudan is going to be replaced with a Ping Pong manga. So Japan is just trading down all around I guess...

Going to be sad when Golem Hearts inevitably gets dropped. I really enjoyed the one-shot...

Also, in other news: I'm reading more Isekai bullshit. So you don't have to.

Jintor

Hatarakanai Futari ch83-188

This continues! Hurray!

As always, the siblings remain jobless, but the various bits of their past were pretty interesting. If anything, Mamoru is too kind and considerate towards his sister, and it's pretty blatantly implied that he chose to became a NEET himself in order to not leave his sister behind as the sole jobless shut-in.

More importantly, their interactions with their peeping neighbour, Kuraki, were pretty heartwarming to witness, especially with how she managed to slowly crack open Haruko's introverted shell. In a way, it's led to them being slowly more active again, just barely.

zwei what is this

I thought about Dowman Sayman too, but since you said it wasn't the case, maybe Terrarium in Drawer? That's the only other collection of short stories that comes to mind for me.

Naw, that's not it. In this, all the short stories happen in the same town. I'm even pretty sure the title is like "The Stories of This Town" or somesuch, but I still couldn't find it through combinations of keyword searches.

I thankfully managed to find the first manga, though! It's Fuan no Tane. And apparently I got some details wrong...

Soma

Naw, that's not it. In this, all the short stories happen in the same town. I'm even pretty sure the title is like "The Stories of This Town" or somesuch, but I still couldn't find it through combinations of keyword searches.

I thankfully managed to find the first manga, though! It's Fuan no Tane. And apparently I got some details wrong...

Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru?

(even if it's not, people should check it out :D)

edit - saw your earlier post, yeah this is definitely it. it's so good!

Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- 5-6

Onee-chan Control. Not sure if the friendship between sisters is one-sided here, but Mochiverse principles state that Yoh must have someone she wishes to grow flowers with, and there aren't any other identified candidates at the moment. I feel like Hana is missing some potential blackmail opportunities here, but maybe she's not as impure hearted as I initially gave her credit for.

Usobuko

Banned
For bizarre short stories,

Jiro Matsumoto, Usamaru Furuya, Daisuke Igarashi, Hiroaki Samura, Mohiro Kitoh, Suehiro Maruo etc. all have rather distinctive artstyle though they aren't clean and simplistic. Do any of them ring a bell? It's easier if you can pin-point the author.

Tbh, I can't think of any if it's not Dowman Sayman's works or Ishiguro's Geterou.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuri Natsu -Kagaya Inn- ch5-6

Friendship between siblings is wonderful.

Nukoduke! ch108

Yep, it's an Inori chapter. Such bittersweetness. Seems like she's getting better at the whole 'being a ghost' thing at least.

Beastars ch53

It's been a while since the murder at the beginning of the series had been mentioned. Seems like it's pretty much confirmed that it wasn't Legosi at any rate.

Myuu & I ch7

You know, now that I think about it, this reminds me of World Embryo, will all that "adopting a magic child and raising her together with a woman from the secret organization" bit.

Anyways, not a very secure testing grounds if a wayward cult leader can just waltz into it.

MF Ghost 1-4
The new series from the initial d guy.
Cool setting in the future where there is a lot of freedom to show current and future cars (up to 2020 lol). I don't know why he didn't choose a further period, but it's okay I guess.
Oh and "ryou takahashi" is totally not that guy from the other series guis. srs.

Chase17

Hinomaru Zumou 151-152
What a great fight/arc/series. The mom stuff got me :(

This feels like it could be a perfect ending point for the series. That said, I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

bobohoro

Tokyo Ghoul:re 144

I'm sure glad we are back on track to the good ending.
Right?

Tomo-chan 661

This would've been a cute development 500 chapters ago.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Hinomaru Zumou 151-152
What a great fight/arc/series. The mom stuff got me :(

This feels like it could be a perfect ending point for the series. That said, I'm interested to see where it goes from here.

Jesus, I haven't read a set of chapters that good in a looooooooong long time.

Trying to find a manga/manhwa for a friend, What he knows
- Main character has a brother who is either sick or dies
- MC then goes to work in a mine where he finds a demon/monster that looks like a turtle and I guess fights it
- he awakens a power or a realm only a few people have

Talentless Nana 8
Putting the talent back in Talentless Nana. Her victory was foreseeable even without prophetic photos, but that end page was... less expected. I'll be interested to see how/if she manages to talk her way out of this, especially since she's up against her least malleable classmate.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Attack on Titan

Am I the only one that has no goddamned idea what the fuck is even happening anymore? One minute this was a flashback, next it's a time-skip and all of a sudden Eren is older and missing a leg? How did he even get off the damn island, let alone lose a leg?

This series is literally a goddamned mess. Why do I still follow it?

horimiya 83

Are some people really that bad about waking up? When I hear my alarm clock I'm up right away.

Mousou Telepathy 472

Oh Nanako, I think she already found out.

we never learn 33

Furuhashi sure took what new girls dad said seriously. I wonder if new girl will actually be a little more straight forward with how she feels. Though it can't be worse than the other three.

Same town? Err, Getenrou maybe?
For bizarre short stories,

Jiro Matsumoto, Usamaru Furuya, Daisuke Igarashi, Hiroaki Samura, Mohiro Kitoh, Suehiro Maruo etc. all have rather distinctive artstyle though they aren't clean and simplistic. Do any of them ring a bell? It's easier if you can pin-point the author.

Tbh, I can't think of any if it's not Dowman Sayman's works or Ishiguro's Geterou.
None sounds familiar, but I'll check them out, thanks. Getenrou seems interesting.

Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru?

(even if it's not, people should check it out :D)

edit - saw your earlier post, yeah this is definitely it. it's so good!
Aaa, this is exactly it, thank you!

And that artstyle is not simple and clean at all. Darn memories...

Tejina Senpai 57

This is one of the rare times when I can say science > magic. They have good chemistry together. Shame that this diminishes the chance of a war between the two clubs, since the fireworks would've been glorious.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
None sounds familiar, but I'll check them out, thanks. Getenrou seems interesting.

Aaa, this is exactly it, thank you!

And that artstyle is not simple and clean at all. Darn memories...
Since you enjoy daidai, i recommend reading author other work. Chimoguri ringo is bizarre as well and its great

DNAbro

My Hero Academia Vigilantes 13

Crawler Hauler - Creepy
Pop Step - Butt
Knuckleduster - Scary

Hilarious to see people's perception of the cast be overwhelmingly negative lol.

I'm assuming Naomasa's Quirk is the same as Makoto's since they are related which is interesting that they revealed that here rather than main story. I had a feeling it would eventually come up in some way. Or he could have a totally different Quirk but a detective with a lie detector quirk makes too much sense.

Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio Ch90: This feels like it skipped a chapter... oh well. Either way, It seems like I was right about the
fleet of fog reconstructing his body, as that appears to be a chibi Gunzou they have.

Marche90

Aoki Hagane No Arpeggio Ch90: This feels like it skipped a chapter... oh well. Either way, It seems like I was right about the
fleet of fog reconstructing his body, as that appears to be a chibi Gunzou they have.

Lol. I stopped reading this a long tim ago because I felt lost every time I picked it up. The issue with monthly manga...

I should try reestarting reading manga. The only I follow normally is UQ holder. I stopped reading Soma simply because of the Glacial pacing.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle 1

It's a bad sign when there's so many references that there needs to be constant editor's notes. Don't pick this one up Viz.

Top Bottom