• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Currently in episode 170, Tama Quest arc is pretty good. Polygon Tama e Pixel Tama are amazing.
You're coming up soon (I think it starts in 181 or 182) on one of my favorite comedy arcs in the series. Look forward to it man.

@ Wise-man, just so we're clear, I'm not sure if you'll like it even up to and including episode 24. But give it 25 episodes.

You're coming up soon (I think it starts in 181 or 182) on one of my favorite comedy arcs in the series. Look forward to it man.

@ Wise-man, just so we're clear, I'm not sure if you'll like it even up to and including episode 24. But give it 25 episodes.

Is the manga just as bad at the beginning? I don't think I could ever watch 24 episodes of something, hoping I'm going to like it after that.

upandaway

Is the manga just as bad at the beginning? I don't think I could ever watch 24 episodes of something, hoping I'm going to like it after that.
The thing about Gintama is that unlike other series like it, which do those things over years and decades and milleniums, Gintama gets all of the introductions over with as fast as possible. If you hate it and hate the rest, this won't matter, but if you hate it and like the rest, you'll be happy that it was done the way it was done. It's sort of a necessary evil, I think.

I'd say it's a good idea to go with the manga for the first 20 or so episodes, but that's only if the translations are good enough. If there's any time where quality and consistency is critical for a translation, especially when you're switching mediums afterwards, it's the introductions.

Gintama is another thing i wanted to check out but just never got around to it even when i had more free time on my hands.

People saying it was the Rich Man version of Sket Dance also gave me a bit of hype since i liked Sket Dance

Kurita

Gintama is another thing i wanted to check out but just never got around to it even when i had more frre time on my hands.

People saying it was the Rich Man version of Sket Dance gave me a bit of hype since i liked Sket Dance

I like both SKET Dance and Gintama and it's kinda true (especially since SD's author worked as an assistant on Gintama).
There a few things I like more about SKET Dance though, like the cast.

Both are great gag mangas/animes.

Articalys

tj6ZxHI.png

(the Sket Dance/Gintama crossover chapters were pretty good)

survivor

Banned
Sket Dance anime was decent, but after certain couple episodes I got too pissed and dropped it. Maybe I will go back to it one day in the future.

upandaway

I bet Sket dance is actually funny though.
For the beginning of Sket Dance, it actually doesn't seem that good. Not only is it full of gimmicks that aren't really funny, there's no awesome one-liners and overall it just seems like one of those lazy manufactured kids' cartoons you find on TV everywhere.

Then it gets about 243.45% better, times a million. It never went above Gintama though.

It has some action scenes but otherwise it focuses more on comedy.
You're still a bit early for this, but deeper into it, the action scenes go really deep and come a lot more often. The "majority" is still comedy, but I wouldn't have a hard time saying that the serious arcs are the heart of the series. All of the comedy seems to build up to those moments which makes them all the better.

US Jump TOC for 3/25/2013

Other stuff

In One Punch Man, the Asura Rhino is translated as the Carnage Kabuto. Any idea how this is?
Viz | Boon
tumblr_mk89ug8IKw1qbxqfpo1_250.png
tumblr_mk89ug8IKw1qbxqfpo2_250.png

via Boon
In Japanese, his name is 阿修羅カブト(Ashura kabuto). Ashura is well, Asura, a demigod/demon in Buddhism that is considered powerful and mighty. Kabuto can mean the type of samurai helmet you find in samurai movies, but in this case, it's referring to kabutomushi, the Japanese rhinoceros beetle. Hence the similarity to a rhinoceros beetle. But as only the "kabuto" part of kabutomushi was used, I called him Asura Rhino. One more thing, all the monsters in the House of Evolution have a name that refers to an animal which is why I translated "kabuto" while Viz decided not to.

Now that OPM got mentioned, I was wondering again (and I think I already asked this question, so sorry for that), but OPM is a web manga, isn't it? If so, who's paying Murata for OPM?

upandaway

Now that OPM got mentioned, I was wondering again (and I think I already asked this question, so sorry for that), but OPM is a web manga, isn't it? If so, who's paying Murata for OPM?
Not sure if I should call it a web magazine or just a website, but OPM is part of the new Tonari no Young Jump (which is a spinoff of the physical Young Jump). So he's still contracted by Shueisha.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Hooray, a new Gantz, where we get an entire page of that girl who's name I can't be bothered to remember crying. Seriously, has she done anything besides get kidnapped in the past two years? I liked it better when it was about action, death, and people being assholes.

Retcon: Should have waited until I finished the chapter. That ended up being like 3 pages. And it must be easy drawing entire panels of inane 2ch conversations about what's going on. Less talk of Kubo being lazy, more of this.

upandaway

You guys hurt my feelings... "question ignored" "Magi"
Haha it was on my multiquote back at home but I forgot to reply before I left. Don't feel bad!

Anyway we don't even know for sure that there are always 3 Magi at all times, so the speculation is a bit empty right now.

Sakuranbo Syndrome 58

Tears fall, everyone cries. I wondered whether his GF was going to come across their emotional moment together and misinterpret it, but instead we get another reasonably run-of-the-mill development. She's way out of your league dude, don't even try it.

Mangaka-san to Assistant 139

I'm in quiet awe that two people are having a quasi-normal relationship in this manga.

Denpa Kyoushi 66

So endeth the war games. Those last pages are giving me Assassination Classroom vibes.

survivor

Banned
20th Century Boys vol 4
azIcE32.jpg

The meeting in this volume where all these people were throwing around ideas about building the robot made realize something: this giant robot is a pretty silly and ridiculous idea. I'm not sure if it has any practical use and to be honest I don't see what good use can come out of it. It's a big piece of metal that walks slowly. So far all panels that showcased the robot made it look scary and threatening, but when you think about it, it's just a stupid robot. I really hope there is more to it.

I'm convinced that Shogun is Jesus at this point. It was nice seeing him try to get some justice plus he had some cool badass moments.

Seeing older Kanna made me remember thing, that girl from the first volume where she got woken up by the giant robot, that's adult Kanna isn't it? Now that scene has become more interesting.

I like both SKET Dance and Gintama and it's kinda true (especially since SD's author worked as an assistant on Gintama).
There a few things I like more about SKET Dance though, like the cast.

Both are great gag mangas/animes.

Heard about the author thing as well and another sticking point was manga or anime.

Maybe one day

Oh, so it's still backed by a major publisher? For some reason I was naive enough to think that it was some indie thing, like Molester Man, but with a more capable artist.

The original version where the story guy also drew it was the indie thing (hosted on his website as a webcomic).

The version with Murata drawing is with Shueisha (where apparently Murata approached the guy for a collab)

Akito

20th Century Boys vol 4
Seeing older Kanna made me remember thing, that girl from the first volume where she got woken up by the giant robot, that's adult Kanna isn't it? Now that scene has become more interesting.
Yeah, that's her.
And the giant robot was one of several things from the "book of prophecy" and it looks like friend is for whatever reason trying to recreate it so yeah, it does serve a purpose.

survivor

Banned
Yeah, that's her.
And the giant robot was one of several things from the "book of prophecy" and it looks like friend is for whatever reason trying to recreate it so yeah, it does serve a purpose.

Yeah it's serving a storytelling purpose since he is following all the things they imagined as kids, but the robot must have some actual practical use that I'm not able to think of right now. Cause otherwise, Friend has just spent millions of dollars wasting everyone's time to build a giant useless metal junk because of the Book of Prphecy lol.

Akito

Yeah it's serving a storytelling purpose since he is following all the things they imagined as kids, but the robot must have some actual practical use that I'm not able to think of right now. Cause otherwise, Friend has just spent millions of dollars wasting everyone's time to build a giant useless metal junk because of the Book of Prphecy lol.
If you have/consider having a book named the book of prophecy than you better stick close to it :lol
I guess it will make more sense once you find out about friend's identity and his motivation. Maybe.

Stage On

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 515

OMG I did not expect that to happen. Poor poor Rimi

Now Kenichi is being an utter bad ass stepping up to challenge a Master class fighter! Beserker is acting smug since he think's that Kenichi doesn't stand a chance not realizing that Kenichi would wipe the floor with him once he's in serious mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom