• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
20th Century Boys vol 4
azIcE32.jpg

The meeting in this volume where all these people were throwing around ideas about building the robot made realize something: this giant robot is a pretty silly and ridiculous idea. I'm not sure if it has any practical use and to be honest I don't see what good use can come out of it. It's a big piece of metal that walks slowly. So far all panels that showcased the robot made it look scary and threatening, but when you think about it, it's just a stupid robot. I really hope there is more to it.

I'm convinced that Shogun is Jesus at this point. It was nice seeing him try to get some justice plus he had some cool badass moments.

Seeing older Kanna made me remember thing, that girl from the first volume where she got woken up by the giant robot, that's adult Kanna isn't it? Now that scene has become more interesting.

I am always twitching in annoyance every time someone mentions 20th Century Boys.

Such a great premise and potential ruined by Urasawa being incapable of holding back his terrible tendency of blabbering all over the place.

World Trigger 7
tumblr_mk8ur6lg9y1s5992do1_400.png

So many Yuma faces. It really made me laugh quite a bit whenever he did respond to Kitora about something and had the face. Considering how flustered she got it really enhanced the experience. With the new Ilgar class Neighbor, am curious to see how the three will take it down, and if truly, she, an A-rank, is actually on Yuma's level.

Nisekoi 67

Of course the one time, I actually am supporting a character to win it, she has to mess it up, why Onodera, why :(

Cross Manage 26
tumblr_mk92pyByqx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

KAITO ought to have wrote a soccer manga instead of this lacrosse manga. Sounds way more interesting and descriptive about soccer sutff than about the lacrosse. Sword and Shield scene was actually really funny and I liked how the cover page tied into it.

wonzo

Banned
The Lady of Udon

This was a pretty neat story about a budding romance between a 21 year old college student and a 35 year old divorcee working at the cafeteria and their love for Udon. It looked pretty good too thanks to all the nice art. I'll check out the one about the lesbian matador by the same author, even if I've heard mixed things about it.

One-Punch Man 10

The part with Genos dash left and right was really amazing, but of course, my favorite character ends up beat up and stuff, his head and stuff :( I really like how he draws Genus's expressions and faces.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal 28
tumblr_mk94457UKV1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Just hilarious all around with Kaito and Yuma. Yuma could be a bit more interested in his parents I guess. Would have liked for an actual duel in this chapter though, waiting for a month for one to start up is a bit painful.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not quite a decade. Kakashi's Gaiden started in December 2004, it seems. But that has to be wrong.

Sounds about right to me. It occurred directly after Part I and before Part II, and Naruto started in 1999.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wandering Son 117-119 and Aoi Hana 48-49:
Shit is about to get real!

Shimura dropping dem bombs.

ZAWAZAWA

wonzo

Banned
Golondrina 1-6

This really angsty and kinda dumb but the Bullfighting premise is actually pretty interesting so I'll stick with it for now. I'm also digging the art thanks to just how sketchy everything is.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Golondrina 1-6

This really angsty and kinda dumb but the Bullfighting premise is actually pretty interesting so I'll stick with it for now. I'm also digging the art thanks to just how sketchy everything is.

A manga about bullfighting?

Huh........

.....hopefully the protagonist is skewered by the bull at the end of the manga. Thing's really barbaric :\

wonzo

Banned
The Seven Deadly Sins 20

I've got a feeling that ban's gonna end up dead in a chapter or two.

Aoi Hana 48-49

I already read the summaries ages ago but still, fuckin' Shimura.

Aoi Hana 50 Spoilers

... what the fuck was that?

A manga about bullfighting?

Huh........

.....hopefully the protagonist is skewered by the bull at the end of the manga. Thing's really barbaric :\
Well, that's exactly the reason she decided to become one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Keep going. The beginning is there to expose the basic setting but it gets much more interesting after the first 2 teams are introduced.

7 Deadly Sins 2

This is pretty interesting.

Golondrina 1-6

Just read it and the art makes such a big difference. Don't think I could look past the stupidity in the story if it wasn't so nice to look at.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, that's exactly the reason she decided to become one.

Oh wow really? Revenge?

Don't tell me there's an Ultimate Bull (tm) out there and she was skewered by it and then she decided to take up career as bullfighter to enact revenge on it but she needed to train on lesser bull first before taking up on the Ultimate Bull.

Hahaha.

...Regardless, yeah, bullfighting is really barbaric and cruel. I don't think I can read this manga if it's being depicted as "honorable" or what-have-you.

wonzo

Banned
Just read it and the art makes such a big difference. Don't think I could look past the stupidity in the story if it wasn't so nice to look at.
Yeah, the art makes it far more bearable than it has any right to be.

Oh wow really? Revenge?

Don't tell me there's an Ultimate Bull (tm) out there and she was skewered by it and then she decided to take up career as bullfighter to enact revenge on it but she needed to train on lesser bull first before taking up on the Ultimate Bull.

Hahaha.

"The betrayal of her lover sends Chica into despair and as result she attempts to end her own life. But she is saved by a man called Antonio, who helps nurse her back to health. After the devastating experience, Chica chooses to lead the rest of her life as a matador. It is then Chica that decides and swears: "I will become a bullfighter. By becoming one, I will be able to die in front of my lover." But little does Chica know of the difficult road that lies ahead and the trouble she must face to follow the path of a matador..."​

Yeah, it's just as dumb as it sounds.

...Regardless, yeah, bullfighting is really barbaric and cruel. I don't think I can read this manga if it's being depicted as "honorable" or what-have-you.
Well, this did a pretty good job of showing off just how brutal and cruel the whole thing is in the second chapter so I have to give it props for that.

flawfuls

Oh wow really? Revenge?

Hahaha.

No she basically wants to commit suicide to spite her BFF for not being a lesbian like her. Also the manga paints bull fighting as fairly barbaric and cruel so far.

Yeah, it's just as dumb as it sounds.

More like awesome. Why you gotta hate on my angst fest.

Wednesday is going to be awesome this week I can feel it.
If the Naruto chapter is only and exclusively Hashirama and Madara fighting and moving and dashing through the forest, then it'll be good.

Bleach is still in flashback and I cant really see what this hollow can bring to the table, since Isshin will most likely barely escape with his life.

Akito

Maison Ikkoku v1
For whatever reason I've been holding out on this so called cult classic until, well now. The first couple of chapters seemed to be more of a gag comedy than a romcom but after all the characters and their relationships were introduced, we were set to go. It's decent so far, it's not particularly different from your average romcom but the characters are not quite as stupid/dense/annoying as you might fear. There is a fair amount of misunderstandings as well but so far they got resolved quickly. We even got a confession in the first volume but sadly not much came out as a result of it.

Antiwhippy

Maison Ikkoku v1
For whatever reason I've been holding out on this so called cult classic until, well now. The first couple of chapters seemed to be more of a gag comedy than a romcom but after all the characters and their relationships were introduced, we were set to go. It's decent so far, it's not particularly different from your average romcom but the characters are not quite as stupid/dense/annoying as you might fear. There is a fair amount of misunderstandings as well but so far they got resolved quickly. We even got a confession in the first volume but sadly not much came out as a result of it.

It's a classic, but it's pretty filler-y like most of rumiko's other work.

The ending arcs are incredible though. It has some of the best romance I've ever read in manga. Also it has such a good ending. Hell, Godai pretty much has one of the best character developments I've ever read. Many manly tears were shed during the final arc.

But yeah, before that it repeats the cycle of misunderstanding a bit too much. I like it though. The final moments were what made me love it.

Sun-ken Rock 120

vrTQZTc.png

I'm not sure what I expected, after he took her hostage. Them being her former bodyguards makes sense in the way that it would be some good drama, but I certainly didn't expect them to survive the attack few years ago. I do wonder how Ken is going to handle this now. Kim gave them a nice opening, but I just can't see him killing women in the same brutal way he did.

Akito

It's a classic, but it's pretty filler-y like most of rumiko's other work.

The ending arcs are incredible though. It has some of the best romance I've ever read in manga. Also it has such a good ending. Hell, Godai pretty much has one of the best character developments I've ever read. Many manly tears were shed during the final arc.

But yeah, before that it repeats the cycle of misunderstanding a bit too much. I like it though.
I feared as much. The OTP is established right at the beginning and the two characters have 10 overlong volumes to accept their fate. I hope that some other characters will get proper developed as well but so far all of them are merely gag characters.

Antiwhippy

There are people who come into the picture to... complicate things, but yeah, OTP is fairly apparent.

Still worth a read though seriously, if only for the payoff at the end. 15 volumes ain't that long, and if I remember right it's around... vol 11 or 12 where things start turning amazing, but the previous chapters should be read to fully establish the characters. Filler-y but it's fun filler. Back when she knew how to make fun filler instead of just boring filler.

God, now I have a flood of emotions just from remembering it. Maybe it's because I was fairly young when I first read it, but it's probably the first romantic story that really affected me.

wonzo

Banned
More like awesome. Why you gotta hate on my angst fest.
I ain't hatin', the angst is just dumb to the point of hilarity which kinda clashes with just how messed up the Bullfighting is portrayed but I definitely want to see what happens next.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 515

OMG I did not expect that to happen. Poor poor Rimi

Now Kenichi is being an utter bad ass stepping up to challenge a Master class fighter! Beserker is acting smug since he think's that Kenichi doesn't stand a chance not realizing that Kenichi would wipe the floor with him once he's in serious mode.

He wasn't challenging Ogata though. Quite the opposite in fact if I recall.

scy

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 515

OMG I did not expect that to happen. Poor poor Rimi

Now Kenichi is being an utter bad ass stepping up to challenge a Master class fighter! Beserker is acting smug since he think's that Kenichi doesn't stand a chance not realizing that Kenichi would wipe the floor with him once he's in serious mode.

I'm waiting for plot to happen before I actually consider her dead.

Then again ...

Man, I actually kind of liked her too.

I'm waiting for plot to happen before I actually consider her dead.

Then again ...

Man, I actually kind of liked her too.

Maybe she'll just end up as a cripple for life like Ryuto. However, somehow I doubt that will happen. She'll probably be fine.

I hope.

Antiwhippy

Are people seriously expecting kenichi to be able to defeat a masterclass now? As bullshit as some of the power levels are I don't think that they would break the "masters are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above anyone else" rule.

scy

If it was a trash tier Master class, I'd like to think he's at the point of not immediately breaking.

Ogata?

Yeah no.

flawfuls

Maison Ikkoku v1

I remember reading the first half of this manga thinking it was awful and wondering why people considered it a classic, but it at some point it just suddenly shifts gears and gets much much better.

Shame I can't say the same thing about Kimagure Orange Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom