• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Done with the Nodame Cantabile drama (well, I need to watch the SP and the two movies) but it was fantastic, even better than the manga. Need to continue the manga though since the drama only covered 9 volumes.
Hope some characters will get more development in the manga like that new gay dude who was not that important aside from being Masumi's nemesis.

Still, it was really amazing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dunno if it's a spoiler considering where you're at in the story, but it has something to do with kiyora.

It allows her to go to Vienna during the Paris chapters.

Akito

I remember reading the first half of this manga thinking it was awful and wondering why people considered it a classic, but it at some point it just suddenly shifts gears and gets much much better.

Shame I can't say the same thing about Kimagure Orange Road.
Hah, I decided to watch KOR some years ago because the manga looks like ass compared to the anime and that was a terrible mistake. I hate pretty much everything about it bar the music and Ayukawa. Still, it would have not been so bad if not for Hikaru, one of the most annoying characters ever who just happens to have the most obnoxious voice ever. I watched all 48 episodes of it. And all the OVAs and movies. At least one of the movie is genuinely good.

Mujihi na Karada 2
tumblr_mk9vb99Adk1rqw4vjo2_500.png

Like the first chapter it was just again punishment by dressing up in all these outfits. Though the only thing of note in this super short chapter, Nanao's past was a bit sad. I wonder why he isnt affected or saddened by it like Aikawa. Oh well, another two months of waiting.

Akito

Maison Ikkoku v2
That was nice, Kyoko got some fine character developments. Her parents were hilarious. Yusaku on the other hand scored himself a girlfriend even though not intentionally. But he could have certainly done better than visiting her parents. Twice.
Dude, what are you doing?

upandaway

Aren't Haikyuu!! and Kuroko enough?
When you're Jump and you get lucky with 2 really successful sports manga, you don't just sit back and ride that out. On the contrary, now's when they can build up on that and go as far as possible. There's a constant risk of going back to the hell of no sports manga (which was just recently with Kuroko being the only sports manga for years before it was even popular).

Are any of the big 3 on break this week?
HEY

feels like i haven't seen you around

Wiseblade

Seven Deadly Sins 17

No Ban, just saying it's a fun adventure doesn't make it one.

Retcon: Cross Manage doesn't have a volume out yet, right? Shueisha might be waiting to see how those are before killing it. Like Upandaway says, having three multiple successful sports manga at once will help support each other and give JUMP more of a distinguishing feature than just "the magazine with One Piece".

Kurita

Are any of the big 3 on break this week?

Nope, we'll get a bloody Wednesday.

Retcon: Cross Manage doesn't have a volume out yet, right? Shueisha might be waiting to see how those are before killing it. Like Upandaway says, having three multiple successful sports manga at once will help support each other and give just more of a distinguishing feature than just "the magazine with One Piece".

It has one volume out IIRC.
EDIT : yeah
mcySZ0i.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Glass Mask vol 5

2yPgW7M.png

Probably not the best way to phrase it, masumi.

Mmm, love this volume so much. The performance of Gina and the Blue Pots is nearly iconic to me. While Maya's freakish talent has been building up for awhile now, this play is where everything erupted. Her talent for the stage, also her sheer determination to overcome the worst odds, everything is established here. This is also the point where I've started to respect the author's abilities to create situations that can actually make Maya's talent for acting look believable, just because of how impressive she managed to orchestrate the play together along with illustrating how Maya acts on stage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its kind of random that "Big 3" chapters only seem to come out in the middle of the night even when they come out early.

survivor

Banned
Retcon: Cross Manage doesn't have a volume out yet, right? Shueisha might be waiting to see how those are before killing it. Like Upandaway says, having three multiple successful sports manga at once will help support each other and give JUMP more of a distinguishing feature than just "the magazine with One Piece".

The first volume tanked. Didn't even get above 18k

Wiseblade

It has one volume out IIRC.
EDIT : yeah
http://i.imgur.com/mcySZ0i.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="survivor, post: 51554190"]The first volume tanked. Didn't even get above 18k[/QUOTE]

RIP Cross Manage

[quote="BatDan, post: 51554445"]How sad would it be if Cross Manage sales in the US outsell Japan?
Not sure how popular it is in US Jump though.[/QUOTE]

Considering how manga sells in the US, that's basically impossible.

survivor

Banned
How sad would it be if Cross Manage sales in the US outsell Japan?
Not sure how popular it is in US Jump though.

Impossible. 18k is a lot for a manga in the US.

For example, Gundam Origin which is pretty hyped manga is only getting 7k shipment for the first volume and half that number for the second volume.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fair enough. I overestimated manga sales in the US.
Hell, superhero comics are tanking too. That's why DC reboots their universe every few years.

Wiseblade

Impossible. 18k is a lot for a manga in the US.

For example, Gundam Origin which is pretty hyped manga is only getting 7k shipment for the first volume and half that number for the second volume.

Don't forget that the most popular/best selling US manga are ancient series like Sailor Moon and Death Note. There's no way something that can't even get off the ground is going to be saved by US sales.

Maybe if it somehow took off in France...

upandaway

Its kind of random that "Big 3" chapters only seem to come out in the middle of the night even when they come out early.
Probably has to do with the whole worldwide domination conspiracy that Ignis was talking about. He said something about offices dedicated to doing it, so it's probably time zones.

Kurita

Don't forget that the most popular/best selling US manga are ancient series like Sailor Moon and Death Note. There's no way something that can't even get off the ground is going to be saved by US sales.

Maybe if it somehow took off in France...

They don't publish series that got axed after two volumes in France.

How sad would it be if Cross Manage sales in the US outsell Japan?
Not sure how popular it is in US Jump though.

Comments on the posts on the US Jump seem like people in the US like that series.

Though its not like Viz is actually obligated to sell print copies of these manga either. *am still waiting for a print copy of Takamagahara which hasnt been solicited at all for 2013 nor even first portion of 2014*

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I did not know Terra Formars continued on after the starting.

It's still some terrible racist stuff but yes I can see why it's popular.

Comments on the posts on the US Jump seem like people in the US like that series.

Though its not like Viz is actually obligated to sell print copies of these manga either. *am still waiting for a print copy of Takamagahara which hasnt been solicited at all for 2013 nor even first portion of 2014*
And Viz is still in negotiations for the print rights to Nisekoi. I wish they had some collection type preorder system like Matty Collector to get books like Sket Dance in print. Hate digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom