• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Naruto ending spoilers

Fucking called this since I was 12 years old. It has always been exceedingly obvious, and I don't know how much you'd have to deny and rationalize to convince yourself otherwise. I mean, NaruHina was pretty much set in stone the moment this picture surfaced, with the context that it was drawn before the oneshot (with her being planned as a civilian), and that Sasuke and Sakura wouldn't have existed without editor meddling. I'm just glad people can shut up about it now.

I guess I just don't understand having emotional investment in a fictional character pairing that has almost no real context in the narrative. Its not like any of these characters ever had a reciprocal interest in each other. Its all just editorial fiat if they get together or not because "why not?"
It did have context to the narrative. Naruto and Sasuke might not have been in love, but they still cared. In part 1, Naruto only really talked to somebody with his guard down with Hinata (before his fight vs. Neji), and Sasuke was willing to sacrifice his life for Sakura, and made Naruto promise to keep her safe (fight vs. Gaara).

There was stuff in part 2 too, but I only really care about NaruHina and SasuSaku because of part 1 anyway, so whatever.

I'm curious MangaGAF, now that most of the important bits of the last chapters have leaked already, how do you rate the Naruto series as a whole?
It's the only series to have managed to keep my attention for 10 years straight.

Big One

Banned
I'm curious MangaGAF, now that most of the important bits of the last chapters have leaked already, how do you rate the Naruto series as a whole?
It's pretty much Harry Potter in manga form at best, but it's full of holes, inconsistencies, and lacks any character development to get anyone who cares about proper storytelling into it. It's young adult manga at pretty much the lowest quality it can get and still be a major mainstream series. Even Part 1 wasn't that great even though it gives you that impression that things were going to properly resolve on course...and then Part 2 happens.

I give it a solid 5/10 as a series.

Averon

To answer my own question, I give the Naruto series a 6/10.

Kishi came up with a lot of interesting ideas that sort of fell flat or wasn't really expanded upon. A lot of missed opportunities were made that I felt dragged the series down as a whole.

Usobuko

Banned
Ryuu no Kawaii Nanatsu no Ko / Seven Sons of the Dragon : Chapter 2

Compilation of unusual short stories, this one about a school boy encounter with a mermaid.

mB7YQAw.png

I came across Kui Ryoko works because I look back at Manga Taisho, the annual Japanese Manga Award.

Taken from MAL:

*1. 94 pts Otoyomegatari
*2. 82 pts Boku dake ga Inai Machi
*3. 66 pts Sayonara Tama-chan
*4. 59 pts Nanatsu no Taizai
*5. 54 pts Hikidashi ni Terrarium
*6. 46 pts Juuhan Shuttai!
*7. 43 pts One Punch-Man
*8. 32 pts Ajin
*9. 31 pts Ashizuri Suizokukan
10. *9 pts Sakamoto desu ga?

1. Umimachi Diary
2. Otoyomegatari
3. Ballroom e Youkoso
4. High Score Girl
5. Ore Monogatari !!
6. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
7. Seven Sons of the Dragon - anthology by Ryoko Kui
8. Ningen Kamenchuu
9. Terra Formars
10. Sanzoku Diary
11. Bokura no Funka-sai

Bolded = Author works.

Wanted to start with Hikidashi ni Terrarium but only Seven Sons has 4 Eng translated chapters.

Big One

Banned
Highlights of Naruto for me were:
- The backstory on the Fourth Hokage. I don't remember the specific chapter, but it was a short arc before the War arc that explained Tobi's involvement with the Fourth Hokage and the Nine-Tails.
- A good portion of fights in Part 1. The Chunin Exam was solid through and through as well as the action scenes in the Sasuke Retrieval arc.
- Kakashi Gaiden

That about covers it.

Usobuko

Banned
Scores are arbitrary, everyone has their own scale that the same number could imply different things.

I look at my list and I think I will rank Naruto about the same as Dragon Ball, Reborn, Air Gear, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Nurarihyon no Mago, Black Cat, Psyren, Celestial Zone etc.

Big One

Banned
My Hero Academia 6

This manga is really shaping up to be the next big thing. I hear that the first volume sold just as well as the recentmost volume of Naruto. Anyway, onto the chapter itself...

I'm still waiting for these translations to get on track with the WSJ release. So far it has a very interesting premise and the main character is relatable even though he's weak as shit, he really has a goal in mind and tries to be the best without being annoying and obnoxious ala Narutu or Luffy is. Really looking forward to seeing more of this manga in the near future.

kasane

Scores are arbitrary, everyone has their own scale that the same number could imply different things.

I look at my list and I think I will rank Naruto about the same as Dragon Ball, Reborn, Air Gear, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Nurarihyon no Mago, Black Cat, Psyren, Celestial Zone etc.
Those are all generic shonens.

I fucking hated samurai deeper kyo.
airgear at least didnt take itself very seriously.

Psyren was somewhat decent and i sure as hell enjoyed it more than naruto

Naruto, a interesting manga that fell down a ditch, couldn't get back up, died and has been stinking up the place with it's rotting corpse for a few years.

4/10

Other Jump Ratings to get an idea of my scale.
Beelzebub 4/10, Eyeshield 21 7/10, Yu Yu Hakusho 8/10, Reborn 3/10.

Naruto is a solid 7 out of 10 for me if I consider only the 1st part. But the 2nd part dragged it down so much that the series itself is a 5/10 for me.

The world building and characters Kishimoto made were done amazingly for the most part except women and a bunch of other stuff.

If Kishi's world of Naruto could be used in a seinen manga, it has the potential to be a big hit with some of the harsher elements of the ninja world that Naruto sweeps underneath the rug.

orochi91

Naruto gets an 8/10 from me.

Apart from the title character's Jesus persona in the latter portion of the series, it's been hell of a ride.

PositioN

I want to say I liked this, but I can't really settle on a word for how I feel about it. Maybe I'll go read Yokohama and see what that's like.

Naruto 699

That Sauske/Sakura scene should have happened way earlier in the story, but I digress outside of the goofiness of the statue fingers together that was a pretty good chapter. Now time for 700

Chariot

I promised dani_dc to continue reading Prison School. Which doesn't not explain why I ended up reading Soma instead until 4 am. At least I now know the origin of more avatars now.

Shokugeki no Soma 1-93

I really enjoyed that. Didn't even know how much I missed these food reactions and epic cooking since Yakitate Japan. The food fights themselves are amazing and very fun to read, I love all these serious slasher faces and action scenes.

Best girl is obviously Alice. She has both a wonderful threatening serious face and a cute sd face. She has some edges when it comes to cooking, but she generally has a pleasant personality.
Erina on the other hand is shit tier. Her denial of Soumas abilities is really on a terrible level and her whole personality stinks.

Naruto Final chapter
Seeing everyone grown up with there kids is so nice even if i don't like the manga as much anymore.
Also LOL at naruto son drawing the the SH pirate mark .
Still there is more to come with the movie and what ever else they plan to do.

Naruto 699-700

Sakura is trash tier, anyone not Sasuke or Naruto is fodder and irrelevant since Kishi gave them 0 panel time, lolyamato, pairing everyone up just because kishi gives no fucks. They made Anko a fatty who drowns herself in food, that hurt. Glad it's finally over, terrible ending though. 7/10

Revo

Naruto 700 (END)

Woo pairings. And look at all the high tech lol. RIP Team Hawk being mentioned at all. But looks like everybody is buddy buddy in the end, in all likelihood due to Naruto (or maybe Obito/Madara's secret Requiem Zero).

Overall a nice ending. Feels quite complete, even if not everything is explained (which I hope is what a lot of the Last does). The biggest question is if Rock Lee got with someone or he is continuing the tradition.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, what are the odds of hunter x hunter returning before the last person finishes serving their avatar bet punishment?

Chariot

Naruto 699-700

Well, that ending in itself was quite alright. I love endings where the author takes a bit of time to show how everyone (or most of them) ended up. Plus: the meltdowns of the fans about the random ass pairings were very amusing. Although this doesn't change the whole lot of stupid the manga threw at us the last few hundred chapters and the turd that is called Sakura.
Naruto 700 (END)

Woo pairings. And look at all the high tech lol. RIP Team Hawk being mentioned at all. But looks like everybody is buddy buddy in the end, in all likelihood due to Naruto (or maybe Obito/Madara's secret Requiem Zero).

Overall a nice ending. Feels quite complete, even if not everything is explained (which I hope is what a lot of the Last does). The biggest question is if Rock Lee got with someone or he is continuing the tradition.
I am sure they will play a role in the mini-series. I am actually a bit excited after seeing Salat. She seems a lot more interesting than Sakura or Sasuke. And Burrito is ok-stupid.

Big One

Banned
Naruto 699-700

Overall a solid ending to the series. I'm going to do a write-up of this series so sharing my overall thoughts on an arc-by-arc basis. I have a lot of good memories of Naruto ever since I was in high school, and formed a lot of bad ones since after high school unfortunately. It was definitely a ride with highs and lows however and I'm glad it got proper closure.

Naruto 699-700

Well, that ending in itself was quite alright. I love endings where the author takes a bit of time to show how everyone (or most of them) ended up. Plus: the meltdowns of the fans about the random ass pairings were very amusing. Although this doesn't change the whole lot of stupid the manga threw at us the last few hundred chapters and the turd that is called Sakura.

Sakura is as much of a turd as Naruto in the context of the story when comes to the sauce.
She would have been much better if Kishi did other stuff for her like he did for naruto .

Chariot

Sakura is as much of a turd as Naruto in the context of the story when comes to the sauce.
She would have been much better if Kishi did other stuff for her like he did for naruto .
That's right. Naruto is a turd too, as is Sasuke. I know a lot of people didn't like the fillers before Shipuuden, but I enjoyed a lot of them greatly because I could finally see the characters I actually cared for, instead of the Trinity of Dumb Luck.

I'm glad I don't actually care about the pairings in Naruto, because some of them make no sense. I don't think Choji ever met his wife in the story.

Looks like Sporting Salts will be next on the chopping block with it debuting in 2nd last place, only above the axed Yoakemono. So that leaves Judos and Cluster to fight for the final possible "open" spot. They were ranked 10th and 11th this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom