• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Oh man, good!Afternoon cover is so good this month

tumblr_nd0zvkLuVo1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

Revo

Anagle Mole 47 (End)

W/e. Was never into it in the first place+bad release schedule caused me to not care about it.

Zweizer

Banned
We're Aiming For Love Now: Side A & B by Morishima Akiko

Cute yuri story. They are pretty adorable together, though I have to wonder what's with the author's fascination with age gaps? Pretty good balance between the sweet and the drama otherwise.

Welcome back from hiatus, Glass Rebel.

Naruto ending should have happened years ago but I'll take it. Also get rid of Bleach ASAP Jump, and take Toriko as well while you're at it.

Thanks brehs

this looks pretty weird if you can't see Akito's post title

Glass-kun what are you reading right now?

I follow a ton of stuff but my top 5 of ongoing manga right now are

Kingdom, Jojolion, One Piece, One-Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100. Berserk and HxH are strong contenders but they aren't exactly regular releases.

I started reading Shigurui recently but I'm not entirely hooked. It's excessively violent, which can be appealing, but it doesn't come close to something like Berserk just yet.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
With Naruto gone, I have nothing to read on Wednesdays. Woohoo. It's still kind of sad though.

Now I need a new, long running action manga with consistent releases that gets me as invested in its characters.

Usobuko

Banned
With Naruto gone, I have nothing to read on Wednesdays. Woohoo. It's still kind of sad though.

Now I need a new, long running action manga with consistent releases that gets me as invested in its characters.

Not reading Nanatsu, Kingdom or Magi? While not exactly part of 'wednesday' gaf, they are still weekly release manga.

Or you can join me in reading The World Is Mine, I could do with a companion.

Zweizer

Banned
I follow a ton of stuff but my top 5 of ongoing manga right now are

Kingdom, Jojolion, One Piece, One-Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100. Berserk and HxH are strong contenders but they aren't exactly regular releases.

I started reading Shigurui recently but I'm not entirely hooked. It's excessively violent, which can be appealing, but it doesn't come close to something like Berserk just yet.

Pretty solid list. Do you read romance stuff? I suggest you check out Jitsu wa Watashi wa~

You don't read One Piece or Kingdom?

Akito

I binge read Kingdom on the plane while listening to the Nier soundtrack, shit was cash, I imagine the Hyrule Warriors soundtrack should fit it even better.

upandaway

Not reading Nanatsu, Kingdom or Magi? While not exactly part of 'wednesday' gaf, they are still weekly release manga.

Pretty solid list. Do you read romance stuff? I suggest you check out Jitsu wa Watashi wa~

2 for 2 of people retconning Kingdom into their posts, haha

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Not following it. I've heard it's okay, but sort of weird from a person whose tastes correspond to mine a lot, but I might try it anyway.

Not reading any of them. I heard Magi got weird and nonsensical, Seven Deadly Sins had some odd art that turned me off from investigating further. I'll check them all out though.

One Piece sucks.

Maybe I should bookmark this post so that when I get time 2 weeks from now, I'll remember to check these out.

I told myself I'd finally marathon Kingdom this month, but then Amazon sent me Hyrule Warriors for free. Sorry.

I guess I don't lose anything by letting it build up more.

You might get spoiled tho.

I do read some romance stuff but it's not my go-to genre. Horimiya is a regular read and I did love Kids on the Slope and Solanin. I'm kind of a sucker for the bittersweet stuff, Horimiya as a regular sweet manga is kind of an outlier. I will check out Jitsu wa Watashi wa.

What else do you read?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
*TRL having what I suspect is an aneurysm*

Toriko has shit art. Next.

Aw. It can't be worse than Naruto~

At one point I was invested in the fate of the characters in Naruto. That never happened with One Piece.

Only thing of One Piece I liked was when they all got curb stomped by Kuma and the Amazon Island (entirely for Hancock). Everything else was either just okay (that Robin arc) or shit.

Zweizer

Banned
I do read some romance stuff but it's not my go-to genre. Horimiya is a regular read and I did love Kids on the Slope and Solanin. I'm kind of a sucker for the bittersweet stuff, Horimiya as a regular sweet manga is kind of an outlier. I will check out Jitsu wa Watashi wa.

What else do you read?

For romance I read Horimiya, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Yandere Kanojo, Taiyou no Ie, Koe no Katachi, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and more.

Since you like bittersweet stuff you should check out Koe no Katachi and Taiyou no Ie.

Otherwise I'm reading stuff like Prison School, Hi Score Girl, Hinamatsuri (strongly recommended), Peephole, Okusan, Monster Musume, AKB49, Nana to Kaoru, Flying Witch,... A bit of everything really.

At one point I was invested in the fate of the characters in Naruto. That never happened with One Piece.

Only thing of One Piece I liked was when they all got curb stomped by Kuma and the Amazon Island (mostly for Hancock). Everything else was shit.

Well that's a shame. Hey, you should read Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Hinamatsuri.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
it improves BAKA

:mad:

Neeeeeeeext.

Well that's a shame. Hey, you should read Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Hinamatsuri.
I've actually read a bit of Jitsu wa. It's funny and cute especially for a harem series, which I hate 99% of the time. I guess it's because it doesn't treat its girls like shit and prop the MC much on a pedestal. It's not really action though, which is what I'm looking for currently. Hinamatsuri seemed interesting from that summary someone did a while ago, but again, it's not action.

Usobuko

Banned
Not reading any of them. I heard Magi got weird and nonsensical, Seven Deadly Sins had some odd art that turned me off from investigating further. I'll check them all out though.

I remember you like Rin and Yugami when you came across my post. I believe, to some extent, our taste are similar. It just that it cannot be universal for all genres.

I like One Piece. It's my favourite battle shounen. If I were to put a single reason why, it's unrestrained imagination. The power levels, fight scenes, flash backs and comedy are well in place but what really won me over is the sheer creativity in Oda's world. On the other hand, I'm not that fond of HxH or JoJo. I don't find them bad or even mediocre, I just don't adore them as much as some of their vocal fans. You sound like you probably enjoy Seinen's action manga more, there's always Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Dorohedoro if you haven't?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Uh oh, Beam is going full HAM in the "Naruto is ending" thread. I sense he's going to get banned again (he usually does when he tries to defend Bleach).

Zweizer

Banned
I like One Piece. It's my favourite battle shounen. If I were to put a single reason why, it's unrestrained imagination. The power levels, fight scenes, flash backs and comedy are well in place but what really won me over is the sheer creativity in Oda's world. On the other hand, I'm not that fond of HxH or JoJo. I don't find them bad or even mediocre, I just don't adore them as much as some of their vocal fans. You sound like you probably enjoy Seinen's action manga more, there's always Blade of the Immortal, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Dorohedoro if you haven't?

Yeah personally I find One Piece fine. Everyone has different tastes though. As for Jojo, I think most people like how crazy the powers and fights are.

Uh oh, Beam is going full HAM in the "Naruto is ending" thread. I sense he's going to get banned again (he usually does when he tries to defend Bleach).

By Beam do you mean Phoenician_Viking?

Going through that thread it does surprise me how many people only read the big 3.

Is that really a surprise? They are the Big 3.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
By Beam do you mean Phoenician_Viking?

Yeah, Phoenician_Viking used to go by Beam. It's easier to call him that since it's shorter.

They need more Jojo, Soma, and One Punch Man. I'd say HxH but HxHiatus.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kingston is too awesome to read in anything but bulk for me

I know, fuck just using 4gb sticks of ram, I rather have a bulk of 8gb.

Eh, just seems like if you're reading manga might as well spread out to something outside of the big 3.

Also I can't fathom reading mainly action manga. They just get so samey to me after awhile. I know they're not alike, but I guess I just don't enjoy action that much.

Fairy tail

UGH!

Naruto ending is very sad. It is the first manga i have ever read.

Really? People calling others that there is something wrong with them because they like a different manga, is utter ridiculous and insulting, and i will not stand and be insulted without answering.

Zweizer

Banned
Fuck, no translations anymore for Mardrock Scramble and didn't get published here.

Yeah, Phoenician_Viking used to go by Beam. It's easier to call him that since it's shorter.

They need more Jojo, Soma, and One Punch Man. I'd say HxH but HxHiatus.

Oh I see.

I think most people also read Jojo. I wish they'd branch out from fighting mangas though. Stuff like Hinamatsuri (or heck, even Yotsuba&!) should get more attention.

I know, fuck just using 4gb sticks of ram, I rather have a bulk of 8gb.

Ahahaha.

Fairy Tail

UUUUGHH

Please Hiro why do we need this BS
This is why Art isn't everything PEOPLE
AHEM SAUCE

#IDon'tHaveA.VendettaAgainstThesaucetastic

Toriko art is best art
no, it might even be...
True Art

Sometimes it shines through... some times the body are disproportional but at least the Story is GREAT

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever is isn't like I WANTED you to read it or ANYTHING
No need to go full tsun on me!

I remember you like Rin and Yugami when you came across my post. I believe, to some extent, our taste are similar. It just that it cannot be universal for all genres.

Right, I thought our taste was similar too, which is why I keep an eye out on your recs.

What I generally like in manga is the character development. If I look at my favorite manga, most of them tend to have this as one of their strengths. The second thing I look for is for strong female characters, because if the author can't get that down right, you can bet your ass that the story is going to suffer for it. Third is comedy, because if you characters can't find it in themselves to joke around and relieve the tension once in a while, they kind of can't escape or grow from the role they have in the story (i.e., it's the easiest way to show your characters are multifaceted, and that the events of the plot do not dictate every part of their lives).

For battle shonen specifically, I'm not actually that interested in the action itself (although the spreads do look pretty), I just like the stakes to be high. I want the characters to have a chance to die, even if more likely than not, they end up safe. It's something you don't get in the series that check off the other three things I look for (e.g., slice of life stuff).

If I think about it, my favorite battle shonen are Fullmetal Alchemist and Gintama (which I still need to get caught up on :( ). Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was good too.

As for One Piece, while I'm a big fan of imagination myself, I feel like it never really properly utilizes it. I mean, how long was Mermaid Island hyped up for? And then it just ended up as the same shit as usual.

But yeah, you're probably right on the seinen mark, I'll try out those series.

Zweizer

Banned
Eh, just seems like if you're reading manga might as well spread out to something outside of the big 3.

Also I can't fathom reading mainly action manga. They just get so samey to me after awhile. I know they're not alike, but I guess I just don't enjoy action that much.

There's also the matter of marketing. Stuff outside of the Big 3 don't get much recognition overseas and you really have to look for it yourself.

Usobuko

Banned
Right, I thought our taste was similar too, which is why I keep an eye out on your recs.

What I generally like in manga is the character development. If I look at my favorite manga, most of them tend to have this as one of their strengths. The second thing I look for is for strong female characters, because if the author can't get that down right, you can bet your ass that the story is going to suffer for it. Third is comedy, because if you characters can't find it in themselves to joke around and relieve the tension once in a while, they kind of can't escape or grow from the role they have in the story (i.e., it's the easiest way to show your characters are multifaceted, and that the events of the plot do not dictate every part of their lives).

I know the part where characters don't seem to die is a turn-off to some. That would actually get me in survival game genre. To put it more explicitly, not considering or utilising violence as a measure to 'win' the game despite given the lee-way to do so.

Please tell me you read/watch Juuni Kokuki. Fits your first two requirement rather well. I think Kingdom fulfilled those 3 roles too but not nearly as well. But Kingdom's focuses on other aspect more like court politics and grand scale battles.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
and not TORIKO

screw you SAUCE

This is why Art isn't everything PEOPLE
AHEM SAUCE

#IDon'tHaveA.VendettaAgainstThesaucetastic
Tsun levels off the charts.

Also Fairy Tail's art sucks too. It also just sucks in general.

Koe no Katachi is my Wednesday read.

And speaking of KnK, the mangaka did the art for a manga called Mardock Scramble apparently, and one of the (possibly spoilery) images looked oddly fitting to KnK.

Remind you of anyone?
KnK is my Tuesday night read. Also lol Ueno. I'd peg her for the
murder-suicide
kind of girl, though, if she ever got to that point.

Tsun levels off the charts.

Also Fairy Tail's art sucks too. It also just sucks in general.

Art aside Toriko is the only Action Ongoing Jump series that I look forward too every week

OP is even fading for me.... Soma is great but it isn't a Action series per say plus Gintama is awesome right now but I consider it more of a Comedy series rather then a action Shonen Jump series (even though it is all action currently)

Of course there are other great ongoing Series that are not Jump related..... And then then there is HXH which isn't ongoing to say the least

Sometimes bad art is more entertaining, the monsters look legit great though.

The monsters do look legit plus the environments

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I know the part where characters don't seem to die is a turn-off to some. That would actually get me in survival game genre. To put it more explicitly, not considering or utilising violence as a measure to 'win' the game despite given the lee-way to do so.

Please tell me you read/watch Juuni Kokuki. Fits your first two requirement rather well. I think Kingdom fulfilled those 3 roles too but not nearly as well. But Kingdom's focuses on other aspect more like court politics and grand scale battles.
I don't mind if they don't actually die, I just like the tension, although it does wear thin when it's done all the time in a series, because then survival obviously becomes expected and so that tension is lost. Case in point, the series that started this whole conversation. Death wasn't cheap in Naruto until after Pein resurrected everyone.

Never read Juuni Kokuki either. I also want to say that I get annoyed by "flawless" characters too, like the heroine from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I don't want characters to be strong without any cost, or flaw or something. Like, it's okay if they're physically strong, but emotionally damaged or something. Again, this kind of thing robs the tension. I've heard Kyoukai is a bit like this in Kingdom, which is sort of disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom