• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Naruto's slot to be replaced by more One Piece, rip Oda.

Thinking on it, One Piece is p.much the only thing I'm reading now aside from these VizBig Vagabond volumes, when I can be bothered to deal with how uncomfortable VizBig stuff is to read.

I don't mind if they don't actually die, I just like the tension, although it does wear thin when it's done all the time in a series, because then survival obviously becomes expected and so that tension is lost. Case in point, the series that started this whole conversation. Death wasn't cheap in Naruto until after Pein resurrected everyone.

Never read Juuni Kokuki either. I also want to say that I get annoyed by "flawless" characters too, like the heroine from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I don't want characters to be strong without any cost, or flaw or something. Like, it's okay if they're physically strong, but emotionally damaged or something. Again, this kind of thing robs the tension. I've heard Kyoukai is a bit like this in Kingdom, which is sort of disappointing.

wat.

For romance I read Horimiya, Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Yandere Kanojo, Taiyou no Ie, Koe no Katachi, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and more.

Since you like bittersweet stuff you should check out Koe no Katachi and Taiyou no Ie.

Otherwise I'm reading stuff like Prison School, Hi Score Girl, Hinamatsuri (strongly recommended), Peephole, Okusan, Monster Musume, AKB49, Nana to Kaoru, Flying Witch,... A bit of everything really.

I started KnK a while ago but stopped for some reason. Need to go back to it one day. I do need to get out of my comfort zone first I need to wade through the stuff I have in my backlog.

Damn I can't access my imgur.com account when I click log in to log in it says in the log in screen that

The server refused the connection.

My Char Frog is lost FOREVER DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

Edit: Well there is the twitter avi but it is cropped off ):

Shengar

Never read Juuni Kokuki either. I also want to say that I get annoyed by "flawless" characters too, like the heroine from Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. I don't want characters to be strong without any cost, or flaw or something. Like, it's okay if they're physically strong, but emotionally damaged or something. Again, this kind of thing robs the tension. I've heard Kyoukai is a bit like this in Kingdom, which is sort of disappointing.

wut
Kyoukai is just like any other main character. If anything, she's the only one who have emotional damage among the main cast until an arc dedicated for her to mend that wound. While Kyoukai is physically strong, it can't resolve everything as shown in recent chapters.

^^^^

You tell them LELE

------

Kyoukai also has that Stamina weakness.... she could use that move to counter against it but it would damage and maybe paralyze her legs

I don't know why the editors think Toriko will be popular.

Whole story was a mess from the beginning, and the art, well, isn't actually the best Jump has to offer.

Give the focus to Shokugeki. Best all around protagonist in a Jump series this generation. He works hard, he's cheerful under any pressure, he's not a fucking pervert or a yelling dumbass, he's quite a good role model for kids to have.

Yeah there's boobs, but fuck it. Soma's fantastic.

Kurita

Haikyuu!! vol.4
WtICK0N.png
Yamamoto/Tanake moments are always hilarious. Didn't remember all these flashbacks with Kuro and the blonde guy (forgot his name)...

Shengar

Mostly, the good thing about Kingdom boil down to Hara's manga artistry skill. Sure the earlier chapters looks bad, and the man looks weird as well even in later chapter, but manga artistry is more than that. If someone asked me which manga is the best for them to learn about paneling, I'll direct them to Prison School, Kingdom, and Homunculus.

And the facial expression in Kingdom is also really well done, especially during court chapters (though they somewhat kinda excessive in reactions sometime)

Just let the page speak for itself

I don't know why the editors think Toriko will be popular.

Whole story was a mess from the beginning, and the art, well, isn't actually the best Jump has to offer.

Give the focus to Shokugeki. Best all around protagonist in a Jump series this generation. He works hard, he's cheerful under any pressure, he's not a fucking pervert or a yelling dumbass, he's quite a good role model for kids to have.

Yeah there's boobs, but fuck it. Soma's fantastic.

Dunno, but they tried so hard, lol

Cross promoting it with Dragonball Z and One Piece, having the anime air after One Piece, basically kept throwing money at it hoping people will like it.

Haikyuu!! vol.4

Yamamoto/Tanake moments are always hilarious. Didn't remember all these flashbacks with Kuro and the blonde guy (forgot his name)...

Looking at that cover, I thought that was vol 5 cause of that number placement, lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like, rereading parts of lucifer and the biscuit hammer now, and samidare is honestly a deeply flawed character. In fact her power stems from how incredibly flawed she is.

Zweizer

Banned
Dunno, but they tried so hard, lol

Cross promoting it with Dragonball Z and One Piece, having the anime air after One Piece, basically kept throwing money at it hoping people will like it.

It's kind of a wonder that it didn't become the next big thing considering all the promotion done.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
My guess?
Shimabukuro is Oda's friend. He also had a popular manga around the time One Piece started. Though his was cancelled because of his arrest [inb4wonzo]

Toriko is kind of similar to One Piece, it has a giant world and people with insane power levels. But Toriko was a bit too different (he never really expanded on a lot of the world... he just showed it and moved on. Like that maze a few chapters ago).

Maybe neutering the anime didn't help. Removing a lot of the violence.

Shengar

Well, the question that lingers right now is, who will replace Naruto?
The only correct answer is Shokugeki no Soma

I know, fuck just using 4gb sticks of ram, I rather have a bulk of 8gb.

Eh, just seems like if you're reading manga might as well spread out to something outside of the big 3.

Also I can't fathom reading mainly action manga. They just get so samey to me after awhile. I know they're not alike, but I guess I just don't enjoy action that much.

loool I done goofed

Let us stop looking at the past

there is a action manga void for Jump readers... Toriko story is turning heads right now

people will catch up.... people will tell there friends

WHO CARES ABOUT THE PAST

Shokugeki no Shoma is already a
food
battle shounen manga

Gintama is more of a action series then Soma

Shengar

Gintama's real forte is its comedy, but with the recent chapters that look serious, and some battle scene here and there, it could easily fill that hole, at least temporarily.

Kurita

Let us stop looking at the past

there is a action manga void for Jump readers... Toriko story is turning heads right now

people will catch up.... people will tell there friends

WHO CARES ABOUT THE PAST

Jesus christ we get it that you love Toriko, you can calm down and stop talking about it in every post.

caesar

Banned
Need recommendations again...

I've read Berserk, Vagabond, 7seeds, Pluto, 20th century boys, Sakamato, Gantz, Onepunch man... many others I've forgotten byt yeh. Mostly interested in dark seinen stuff, not really into battle manga. Kingdom looks alright but I think I would get bored... was thinking about starting Eden?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edit; oh I'm reading Tokyo Ghoul right now. Started off very well but seems to be veering into predictability now. The moral dilemma element is gone.

Zweizer

Banned

I've read Berserk, Vagabond, 7seeds, Pluto, 20th century boys, Sakamato, Gantz, Onepunch man... many others I've forgotten byt yeh. Mostly interested in dark seinen stuff, not really into battle manga. Kingdom looks alright but I think I would get bored... was thinking about starting Eden?

Koe no Katachi, Hinamatsuri, Prison School.

Shengar

Edit; oh I'm reading Tokyo Ghoul right now. Started off very well but seems to be veering into predictability now. The moral dilemma element is gone.

Have you check either Parasyte or Homunculus?

Lain

I said this before but I do dislike Nana to Kaoru
's art
. Lost interest in it after a while, same for Prison School
(I like the art for that though)
. Come at me Mangaf.

image.php

Jokes aside, I love the Ryuta Amazume style but I can see how it could put people off.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Wa ga na wa umishi!

Though if you're looking for dark seinen, either eden or hito hitori futari? Which actually reminds me that I should catch up with that seeing that it just finished scanlating.

I count Berserk and Vagabond among my favourite manga and don't think you would get bored of Kigndom.

If you liked Pluto and 20th Century Boys, you will also like Monster by the same mangaka.

You can try out Fukumoto's stuff. Ten and Kurosawa were good.

caesar

Banned
Koe no Katachi, Hinamatsuri, Prison School.
Hinamatsuri looks interesting thanks.
Have you check either Parasyte or Homunculus?

Ah I've heard good things about Parasyte and will check out the other one.

Wa ga na wa umishi!

Though if you're looking for dark seinen, either eden or hito hitori futari? Which actually reminds me that I should catch up with that seeing that it just finished scanlating.

Thanks, was thinking about Eden anyway.
I count Berserk and Vagabond among my favourite manga and don't think you would get bored of Kigndom.

If you liked Pluto and 20th Century Boys, you will also like Monster by the same mangaka.
Okay, well Vagabond is my absolute favourite. It's brilliant. Ah I forgot Monster, I've read that too.

The Arms Peddler
Ubel Blatt
Drifters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom