• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

I mean, in a sense it's a good thing that your country isn't majorly involved in some of the biggest conflicts of this century. :p

Then we should go further down the past into other centuries <.<

It's no countries manga but...

Kuneru Maruta

Japanese-Portuguese girls, are the best.

Note: "Best" varies depending on what I'm commenting.

Though I don't particularly like Bacalhau.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, only 3 chapters translated with basically no chance of getting scanlated again?

How is this dead when it's about a girl cooking food in her bikini?

Shengar

Eurobros will never see the light that is Isabeau
008218cccca8cd1183d41fcb4c0e4904.jpg

Antiwhippy

Sekainohate de Aimashou 46

This has to be the last time they have this relationship argument, hahahahahaha...

Oh yeah, how did this manga turn out?

I kinda dropped it once they start getting into the really weird stuff like the prince being super possessive and the brother incest. Which is about chapter 4 I think.

Akito

Reading food manga can be tough sometimes but working on them must be like hell on earth, no wonder no one wants to do it.

I kinda dropped it once they start getting into the really weird stuff like the prince being super possessive and the brother incest. Which is about chapter 4 I think.

Terrible.

The boy girl is a terrible character with no sense of progression. Still basically the same character as when we started. The relationship is literally stagnant, we go from aw, they like each other to back to hating each other after each arc.

Zweizer

Banned

It kinda stayed the same. Some fine moments here and there but relationship-wise it still isn't particularily good.

Antiwhippy

Terrible.

The boy girl is a terrible character with no sense of progression. Still basically the same character as when we started. The relationship is literally stagnant, we go from aw, they like each other to back to hating each other after each arc.

Ah yeah, I made a good choice in dropping it then.

Kuneru Maruta 1

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is how Dani_dc accepts all of his mail packages.

Zweizer

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul ch10-18

Here comes the investigators. I find it pretty convenient from a morality perspective that they're portrayed as ruthless psychos. Makes the ghouls' side looks all the better. Oh well, it was handled relatively well and I rather like Kaneki so far. Let's see how far his attempts at balancing the two sides will carry him.

dani_dc

Kuneru Maruta 1

So this is a manga about Marta (Maruta in Japanese), which also happens to be my sister name, is that relevant? No, but it amused me.
Bacalhau isn't really my thing, but it is eaten a lot around here. You see the croquettes she cooked a lot in restaurants as appetizers.

Some neat details like the awful Japanese handwriting, as well as her mother name being Rita.

As a side note, it annoys me to see the translator changing the Portuguese to English, if the author used Portuguese instead of Japanese in a few scene he did so for a reason, do not translate it, just do a TL if you must.

Would you rather we talk about Rune Factory 4
Yes, I don't care for Rune Factory,

dani_dc

Kuneru Maruta 2-3

One thing I'm enjoying a lot in this manga is that it captures the culture of "desenrascanço" that so typical of Portuguese people.
The author captured the Portuguese way of life extremely well.

Was happy to see the Portuguese sentences being left untouched in the chapter this time around.

It's a shame that there are so few chapters translated, definitively something I'll look into I'd I ever get around learning Japanese.
Ah yeah, I made a good choice in dropping it then.

Kuneru Maruta 1

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is how Dani_dc accepts all of his mail packages.
Ah, i missed this post.

That's how all of us accept our package around this parts.

Lain

Midnight Secretary volume 1
gBfb.jpg

I didn't know this involved vampires. I should have known it, but I didn't. The vampire part feels used more to make the Toma fellow appear even cooler and darker though but I don't mind. He comes off as an arrogant assholes at times but I can't deny that he's quite charming. I like Kaya more though. She's cute and I really adore how she looks in her work get-up, plus her work philosophy is admirable as well as her dedication to the job.
The beginning of love could be seen coming from far away but I won't lie, I liked how it was delivered just as the volume ended.

Giant Killing volume 24
kBfb.jpg

The end of 2nd half of the game was full of excitement. Seeing
ETU win with that 4-2 was godly!
. The events afterward were funny as expected of this work (reaction faces are really great) while the final part of the volume has
the Skulls once again causing trouble
and begins delving a bit into the birth of the Skulls through flashbacks.
Can't say I'm too interested in the Skulls' beginning, since I dislike them but hey, giving them a more humane side and flashing the characters out more isn't a bad thing, plus it might make me understand them more.

Shimauma volume 1
lBfb.jpg

Another one I went in blind and I'm glad I did.
This first volume was a crazy ride of violence, desperation, crimes. A story about surviving in a world where everyone is either a slave or cannon fodder, as Tetsuo uses to say.
The volume mainly gives us a quick look at 3 of what feels as the main characters introduced, Tetsuo, Aka and Zebra. None of them is a good fellow.
Tetsuo is a guy that, together with his companions, is always committing frauds, stealing etc. Despite him not being a good dude, I can't say I don't understand the reasons why he turned up the way the did and despite everything else, I have a certain degree of sympathy for him because of his reasons and thoughts.
Aka seems just out of his fucking mind, a sadistic psychopath that gets erections out of torturing people. Tetsuo is to blame for this in large part though I feel no sympathy for him. Aka is crazy and I don't like him.
Zebra isn't exactly shown. The volume has us see him as he's torturing a guy that, we learn at the end, did unspeakable things to a 5 years old girl. The father of the girl contracted Zebra to pull out this revenge and the revenge is a blowtorch to the dick. Anyways, He's the leader of the contract firm for which Aka works and we learn that he most likely has some connection with Tetsuo, though the volume ends just as all 3 meet up.

While this first volume indulges in a show of gratuitous violence, it never felt out of place given the type of character the story deals with and that violence also works in shaping these characters. Just by their reactions to the violence or the way they used it gave me a better understanding about them. In other words, it was a good read.

Vanilla Fiction volume 3
sBfb.jpg

Using the volume to flesh even more the other player in this game worked quite well. In the second volume the police dude seemed just like an asshole that just loved fighting and beating people up, but the third volume gives him more depth and a reason.
The best part of the volume has to do, as usual, with Sato since he finally makes a decision that will shape his future. Seeing him unable to commit fully initially and then finally pick the right choices because of the events that unfolded in front of him felt so good. also seeing Osamu Dazai getting influenced by both Sato and what the old lady said in the previous volume was great. He was a piece of shit initially (he had his reasons but still a piece of shit) but seeing the change makes him more than just a good-looking face.

The only sad part here is that with volume 3 we're on par with the volumes out in Japan so now begins the real waiting game an fuck if I like waiting games.

Jintor

I used to think the hypothetical "Gaijin moves to Japan and teaches english" LN or manga would be a lol hilarious romcom but now I think it would be punpun-tier depressionland

kasane

I used to think the hypothetical "Gaijin moves to Japan and teaches english" LN or manga would be a lol hilarious romcom but now I think it would be punpun-tier depressionland

you need to go to a better school :pP

also you should wait for another hot gaijin who loves japan and loves getting drunk

Aizo

Banned
Finally free from that cursed avatar.
Stop shifting the blame, I thought we'd see you more often in this thread.
I just haven't been reading anything. It's been pretty hectic since I left Japan.

Edit: Oh! I didn't end up having to sell Touch, so I still own the whole series! I still had to get rid of a decent number of volumes of manga to lighten my load, but I still have Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin, Touch, the last couple volumes of Ikigami and Detroit Metal City, Gundam Astray, Shonan Bakusozoku, and my prized possession, the colored Omoide no Marnie volumes that just finished releasing a few days before I left. <3 (I saw the movie twice, went to a museum exhibit for it, and bought an artbook thingy... I kinda liked that movie.)
I also have all of Kino no Tabi, but that's not manga...

Jintor

you need to go to a better school :pP

also you should wait for another hot gaijin who loves japan and loves getting drunk

I found her

she's into girls

Wait maybe I am living the lol hilarious romcom life. Or maybe this is a shoujo actually.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I found her

she's into girls

Wait maybe I am living the lol hilarious romcom life. Or maybe this is a shoujo actually.

This is actually her josei manga, and you're just a supporting character.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom