• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
I meant that as the worst case scenario.

Seo's art is good if you're new to this medium, at least that's what I thought when I first bought Cross Over. With every purchase on new series, you literally have to gamble on the cover page and the short synopsis written at the back of the book. He definitely can't do sports manga, most of the players form look awkward. I will decline on the offer, I read most of his works. In fact the only ones I have not read are the two on-going ones, Princess Lucia & Fuuka.

Edit: As of now, I think his art is fine for most parts. Not something that would get me to read his works but not exactly off-putting either.

You haven't told me if, outside of the art, it's worth reading or not!

Aw, that's too bad for the readalong. I really wanted someone to help me solve the dilemma I have with the possible series to choose for the banner. I agree that Seo's artstyle is decent, though not particularily compelling.

Assassination Classroom 103

I cant imagine seeing Nagisa on the ground like that. And poor Karma kun being taken out that fast. At least he was happy.

Im hoping Terasaka and Itona truly deliver.

Nordicus

Hekikai no AiON 43

The size difference certainly wasn't this apparent before.
frVK7Oe.jpg

Usobuko

Banned
You haven't told me if, outside of the art, it's worth reading or not!

I don't know!

I read like 7-8 pages of the first chapter before going back to The World Is Mine. That's why I begin with the premise 'even if' . I picked up the oneshot because it's easier ( and take less time ) to tackle.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't know!

I read like 7-8 pages of the first chapter before going back to The World Is Mine. That's why I begin with the premise 'even if' . I picked up the oneshot because it's easier ( and take less time ) to tackle.

Aww. Oh well. One more thing to add to my backlog.

Usobuko

Banned
I just haven't been reading anything. It's been pretty hectic since I left Japan.

Edit: Oh! I didn't end up having to sell Touch, so I still own the whole series! I still had to get rid of a decent number of volumes of manga to lighten my load, but I still have Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin, Touch, the last couple volumes of Ikigami and Detroit Metal City, Gundam Astray, Shonan Bakusozoku, and my prized possession, the colored Omoide no Marnie volumes that just finished releasing a few days before I left. <3 (I saw the movie twice, went to a museum exhibit for it, and bought an artbook thingy... I kinda liked that movie.)
I also have all of Kino no Tabi, but that's not manga...

You have many gems here, at least you can finish DMC for our sake.

I'm waiting for Kaguya and Omodie no Marnie to hit my local theatres.

LeleSocho

Banned
Amanchu! 34-35

Damn you Peter for going after the best girl :3
Also the world is such a cruel place that the translator didn't translate 2 or 3 panels because there aren't people willing to work on this wonderful thing :/

Defuser

Tokyo DTED ch 4
tumblr_mbjaxkrjzi1rog2ouko.gif

Goddammit childhood friend girl you bitch. He was fucking close to the home run!!! The suffering continues!! Man this is like the new minamoto.

World Trigger anime just started and it's in the bottom 3 this week #RIP

Toei strikes again~

One Piece has good rankings and Toriko's are decent (just like the WSJ rankings as well). I think most of the audience doesn't care all that much about the quality of the studio considering they're mostly kids and teenagers.

The thing with Toriko is that it was given the right after One Piece time slot so its easy to say its ratings are inflated. :p

Great series getting great bookstore love

To pull a rafa, I do hope someone does license this here. Not sure who though since I don't think anything from that magazine has gotten licensed recently.

Toei strikes again~

The thing with Toriko is that it was given the right after One Piece time slot so its easy to say its ratings are inflated. :p

To pull a rafa, I do hope someone does license this here. Not sure who though since I don't think anything from that magazine has gotten licensed recently.
You gotta roll like I roll now brah and take matters into you own hands.
And fuck Jump editors for putting World Trigger, Yokaemono and Mitsukubi Condor as bottom three.

zQ2JXEc.jpg

World Triggers WSJ rankings isn't that bad

Doesn't it occasionally beat Bleach

As long as jump keeps serializing atrocious series it will be a long series and it got an anime, as a World Trigger fan I couldnt be any happier than I already am.

Plus the best jump comics series [Seraph of the End] is getting animated by competent people too, so I cant even be distraught.

Rankings also don't contribute to overall manga sales success

Of course having your series rank high in your mangas debuting weeks is necessary but long lasting series like Bleach that constinantly ranks low on the rankings still have a better montly manga sales record then Toriko which ranks higher then it

(Well at least for this year seeing as both no longer have animes)
As long as jump keeps serializing atrocious series it will be a long series and it got an anime, as a World Trigger fan I couldnt be any happier than I already am.

Plus the best jump comics series [Seraph of the End] is getting animated by competent people too, so I cant even be distraught.

WT getting an anime is great but of course having a top tier studio would've been better

Alas beggers can't be choosers

At least the quality will look better with their DVD release

bigkrev

World Triggers WSJ rankings isn't that bad

Doesn't it occasionally beat Bleach

Yeah, "not bad" is what the series is ranking wise. It's probably never going to get big, but is a consistent, middle of the pack series that is probably safe for as long as the writer wants to keep doing it.

There was actually an article in Int. Jump last week about how the series started out with really bad rankings, and that they made adjustments around chapter 14 or so to introduce some new characters they were planning on holding back on, answering some questions faster than they had planned to, and the series has been successful ever since then.

God, if Seraph of the End gets a crappy adaptation i'll be pissed.

Yeah, "not bad" is what the series is ranking wise. It's probably never going to get big, but is a consistent, middle of the pack series that is probably safe for as long as the writer wants to keep doing it.

There was actually an article in Int. Jump last week about how the series started out with really bad rankings, and that they made adjustments around chapter 14 or so to introduce some new characters they were planning on holding back on, answering some questions faster than they had planned to, and the series has been successful ever since then.

God, if Seraph of the End gets a crappy adaptation i'll be pissed.
Yeah Jin and the Miwa Squad. Initial plan was for Yuma and Osamu to beat up on Holl- I mean Neighbors for a while.

Ah the good old days. Now by chapter 14 with low ranks, most series will already have one foot in the grave.

dani_dc

Suzuka 94

Not much to say here, except appreciate Miki outfit.

Suzuka 95

Boring side story about incestual little cousin and a guy that stalks her (must be a regional thing).

Suzuka 96

Planning to move out of the country and doesn't tell her boyfriend, classy. Had to be Yuuka to "accidentally" tell him.
More drama incoming from here on.

Suzuka 97

Starts of with coloured named Miki asking herself why Suzuka and Yamato are always having problems. Miki is the best.
Oh uh, they actually talked like a real couple. I'm so confused right now.

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 924-933

This has turned out to be one of the more interesting build-ups to Ippo's match in recent (hundreds of...) chapters. When Kojima isn't putting on a total heel act in order to get Ippo riled up, it almost feels like we're following this match from Kojima's perspective rather than Ippo's, since Ippo's style is analysed from this outsider perspective. The reason for that mockery being "I want to fight Ippo when he's at completely another level" felt a little bit BS. Also as a Finn, when I see Kojima faint and almost get hyperthermia in the sauna, I feel it is my national duty to say "lol l2sauna nubcake"

I'd like to say this is a point where Morikawa starts to plant a seed of doubt about Kamogawa in the reader's mind. Ippo's faith in Kamogawa is called religious at least 3 times in these chapters. Kojima half-assed calling Ippo's "weave forward, duck the jab, uppercut from below" pattern a weakness, but he did bring it up.

Angry Ippo is a bit creepy, and I like that, a lot. The rage initially shows normally, but then Ippo lets it stew and the result is this subdued smile, soulless eyes and and a completely fake lighthearted attitude. Kojima mocked Kamogawa, and Ippo wants to fucking shank the bitch. The purer they are, the better it feels to corrupt them.

Ippo's fight gets a huge amount of returning boxer characters in the audience once again. I feel this has been rather consistent ever since Itagaki started getting his own matches, even if Ippo being an opener for Takamura's match is solid enough reason in itself.

Aizo

Banned
It's like, omae wa[re: already] mo [also] shinde iru [state of being dead], I think lol

I THINK

I'M PROBABLY WRONG @_@
I was joking :p
But yeah, Kurita's got it right.
Cool, so I can expect those Touch essays anytime soon.
Actually we probably are going for a Touch reading club in a few weeks so you're free to join us.
I doubt I could keep up with you all.
You have many gems here, at least you can finish DMC for our sake.

I'm waiting for Kaguya and Omodie no Marnie to hit my local theatres.
I saw three ghibli movies in theatres in the last year. I enjoyed all of them, but my favorite was Omoide no Marnie.

dani_dc

Is hajime no ippo really good? I want to read it but you know, 900 chapters.

The highs are really great. The issue is the hundreds of chapters of not so good content, especially later on. I'd say the first 500-600 chapters are probably worth reading.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Is hajime no ippo really good? I want to read it but you know, 900 chapters.

If you like boxing with occasional humor, give it a go. The fight scene is amazing even though it's limited to boxing. Especially Takamura championship match. Oh boy, shit got so motherfucking real.

Suzuka 90-97

Ganguro girl revert back to her original color. Her crush is a very dense man ;_;. Suzuka going to US, but decide not to tell Yamato. What the fuck.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari 1-9

This manga is awesome. I was hooked from the 2nd or 3rd chapter. It does the fantasy setting well and the two main characters are really appealing.

Dead Tube 0

432372213b2uh2.jpg

Teaser for a series about some kind of guro YouTube. The "killer game" talk makes me hopeful that there'll be a survival game element with hugs and smiles everywhere.

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki 23

still great.

Seems like mom is okay with it.

Tokyo DTED 4

*facepalm*

How fucking convenient.

Though to be fair this is kinda going fast and for slightly wrong reasons

Zweizer

Banned

So it was propped up by One Piece just like in WSJ?
I kid, I kid.

Dead Tube 0

Teaser for a series about some kind of guro YouTube. The "killer game" talk makes me hopeful that there'll be a survival game element with hugs and smiles everywhere.

Is there any "future" element? Sounds kinda like Devil Survivor 2 for some reason.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hayate no Gotoku 469

Whoa, finally back at the mansion and they really just jumped right in to the main story. Basically pulled a bunch of stuff that's been foreshadowed. The stuff with Maria and Hinagiku's sister were scenes from the tankobon iirc. I feel like nowadays HnG's at its best during plot since so much is already laid out, so I hope they keep this up.

Edit: Also loved the Kumeta part of the manga

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I hear there is a lot of censorship in the Terraformars anime adaptation.

Yeah. It'sridiculous. I mean, the point of terraformars is watching human fused with insect/animal having an all out fight with human cockroach. Killing each other in creative way. Censoring them kinda missing the point.

I'm really glad Parasyte is not censored at all. The gore and body horror in parasyte is even more fucked up than Terraformars. Funny how each station work. One station censoring Jotaro smoking, while in other station, it's okay to show Peco smoking. Jotaro doesn't look even look like high school kid!

But that baseball censorship is kinda funny.

Dresden

no.5 - taiyou matsumoto - 1

Pretty excited to read something I've yet to read, and it just happens to be from one of the greatest creators of manga alive today. Yay~

It's eccentric as fuck so far. Didn't quite get this page, though - the first few panels make no sense to me, sequentially or otherwise. I guess we start from the bike, then it cuts to a shot of ... the rising moon? Is that the moon that's gleaming over in the second and third panel? What's the cluster in the fourth panel? ????

Fox318

Hajime no Ippo 924-933

This has turned out to be one of the more interesting build-ups to Ippo's match in recent (hundreds of...) chapters. When Kojima isn't putting on a total heel act in order to get Ippo riled up, it almost feels like we're following this match from Kojima's perspective rather than Ippo's, since Ippo's style is analysed from this outsider perspective. The reason for that mockery being "I want to fight Ippo when he's at completely another level" felt a little bit BS. Also as a Finn, when I see Kojima faint and almost get hyperthermia in the sauna, I feel it is my national duty to say "lol l2sauna nubcake"

I'd like to say this is a point where Morikawa starts to plant a seed of doubt about Kamogawa in the reader's mind. Ippo's faith in Kamogawa is called religious at least 3 times in these chapters. Kojima half-assed calling Ippo's "weave forward, duck the jab, uppercut from below" pattern a weakness, but he did bring it up.

Angry Ippo is a bit creepy, and I like that, a lot. The rage initially shows normally, but then Ippo lets it stew and the result is this subdued smile, soulless eyes and and a completely fake lighthearted attitude. Kojima mocked Kamogawa, and Ippo wants to fucking shank the bitch. The purer they are, the better it feels to corrupt them.

Ippo's fight gets a huge amount of returning boxer characters in the audience once again. I feel this has been rather consistent ever since Itagaki started getting his own matches, even if Ippo being an opener for Takamura's match is solid enough reason in itself.

Hajime no Ippo is fantastic.

I just wish I could time travel into the future and come back with all 3000 chapters instead of waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom