• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hajime no Ippo 1074

I don't know how to feel about this. I think Takamura is trying to disconnect himself from Ippo, especially after seeing Kamogawa's face during the fight and him getting angry after everyone left. Could this be the start of beef between Ippo and Takamura since Taka now feels like Ippo has become the son that Kamogawa never had instead of him?

Fox318

Hajime no Ippo 1074

I don't know how to feel about this. I think Takamura is trying to disconnect himself from Ippo, especially after seeing Kamogawa's face during the fight and him getting angry after everyone left. Could this be the start of beef between Ippo and Takamura since Taka now feels like Ippo has become the son that Kamogawa never had instead of him?
Ippo has always been more of a son to Kawogawa then Takamura.

Bottom line is Takamura has always ridden his boxing talent to win whereas ippo has had to claw his way up.

dani_dc

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 143

Well that didn't go as expected, thankfully.
The aunt is going at it again, now with her foot.

Hajime no Ippo 1074

I think its the opposite, Takamura knows how important Ippo is to Kamogawa and so he doesn't want to destroy Ippo at a psychological level.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hajime no Ippo 1074

No, I don't think so. Taka still sees the coach as his dad and no one wants to see someone they love make a face like the coach did during that fight. Remember that he's the one that found Ippo and brought him in. If anything he might be a little pissed at Ippo for making Kamogawa worry the way he did. I think it may just lead to Takamura training even harder than he already does, so that he won't worry Kamogawa the way Ippo did.

Ippo has always been more of a son to Kawogawa then Takamura.

Bottom line is Takamura has always ridden his boxing talent to win whereas ippo has had to claw his way up.

That last part I'm not sure of. Sure Takamura's talent got him on the world stage, but if he didn't work as hard as he did then there's no way in hell he'd be holding the belts he does now. Remember that Takamura is shown as the one guy who trains harder than Ippo does.

Fox318

No, I don't think so. Taka still sees the coach as his dad and no one wants to see someone they love make a face like the coach did during that fight. Remember that he's the one that found Ippo and brought him in. If anything he might be a little pissed at Ippo for making Kamogawa worry the way he did. I think it may just lead to Takamura training even harder than he already does, so that he won't worry Kamogawa the way Ippo did.

That last part I'm not sure of. Sure Takamura's talent got him on the world stage, but if he didn't work as hard as he did then there's no way in hell he'd be holding the belts he does now. Remember that Takamura is shown as the one guy who trains harder than Ippo does.
he is also the guy that defended a world title with his Beatle punch.

Best thing that could happen to him is a loss.

dani_dc

Suzuka 98

Yamato needs a one day job and obviously the only place that's hiring in those conditions is Yui house.

Suzuka 99

Yamato actually did something sensible and refused taking the job?
Suzuka had a talk with Yui in a reasonable fashion?
I'm so confused again, when did Seo switch out the main characters of this manga?

Suzuka 100

Now Yamato is working at Anteiki serving coffees to Ghouls.
Yui is fooling no one.... Except Suzuka and Yamato.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
he is also the guy that defended a world title with his Beatle punch.

Best thing that could happen to him is a loss.

His defense fights are jokes, yes, but have you forgotten what it took for him to win those titles in the first place? Those were two of the roughest fights in the series. Every other character would have been KOed in round one of either fight.

He doesn't need to lose, he just needs another awesome as shit fight.

dani_dc

I hope some prime Tyson lookin' fool tears Takamura up once he goes for the heavyweight title.
At the rate we're going and with the amount of titles left, I'm not so confident we'll see him win that title during Ippo manga run, unless there's some time skip.

Usobuko

Banned
Minamoto is a fine work of literature

i bet it would last through the ages like genji did

GAF is big on this and Prison School but I'm kinda indifferent towards them. I'm reading both but that's how I feel.

Hinamatsuri on the other hand just tick all the right boxes for slice of life comedy for me.

The reason it's not doing much for me is how perfectly everything is going, feels really off considering the manga.

I don't really like it because apparently all it took was Ishida's hospitalization to bring everyone together? It just feels really off, especially with characters like Mashiba and Kawai.

And all that stuff with Ueno is probably going to be resolved in a single chapter...

Soma

Innocent (Sakamoto Shinichi) Ch. 09-53

ibo2ZaUU4zdHa9.png

I mentioned this series briefly at an earlier time but might as well reiterate some of the details now that a lot more chapters got translated.

This is quite the intense series. A historical narrative of Charles-Henri Sanson's early life as he faces his role as the Royal Executioner of France during the 1700's. The first part of the story focuses on Charles coming to terms with his lineage and being born to a family of executioners. Eventually he would become infamous and go on to execute nearly 3,000 people. Like a lot of historical fiction I'm sure a lot of liberties are taken with the story and obviously the character designs which are very heavily gravitated towards the bishounen side of the spectrum.

And it actually works very well because the artwork is absolutely striking and beautiful. Each chapter is packed full of stunningly detailed layouts and many scenes feature some very interesting visual motifs that drive home a certain idea. Some of it comes off as a little heavy handed but it's very nice to look at all the same. Sakamoto Shinichi is a very talented artist.

The story itself is very dramatic, even a little angsty at times. It pulls no punches with displaying how fucked up France was in the 1700s and how fucked up the Sanson family was. Despite being loosely based off the memoirs of Henry Sanson, there's definitely a lot of interesting information to take from the historical recount of this story. With executions playing a large role in the story, a lot of them are displayed in overt detail so some scenes can be pretty hard to stomach if you're sensitive towards that type of stuff. It can be quite brutal and unrelenting at times.

I'm not sure how most people will take to the drama filled story and characters but if nothing else, the manga is absolutely remarkable for its artwork alone.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword vol 2. chapter 1

Bonfire NEET evolve to World NEET. We see the antagonist side this time. Baki being Baki, still can't handle a higher level monster.

dani_dc

GAF is big on this and Prison School but I'm kinda indifferent towards them. I'm reading both but that's how I feel.

Hinamatsuri on the other hand just tick all the right boxes for slice of life comedy for me.

I'm honestly a bit indifferent towards Minamoto-kun Monogatari as well, though I love Prison School as well as Hinamatsuri, those two I love for very different reasons.
Hinamatsuri doesn't feel particularly popular on GAF though.

I don't really like it because apparently all it took was Ishida's hospitalization to bring everyone together? It just feels really off, especially with characters like Mashiba and Kawai.

And all that stuff with Ueno is probably going to be resolved in a single chapter...

To be fair, if there's anything that might bring people together it's big scares like what happened to Ishida. I'm just not sure this would last too long.

Zweizer

Banned

I wouldn't call Prison School slice of life comedy though. Something of an odd comparison.

Hinamatsuri doesn't feel particularly popular on GAF though.

Clearly it means you should put it on the Suzuka banner.

Usobuko

Banned
I wouldn't call Prison School slice of life comedy though. Something of an odd comparison.

You guys got me wrong :(

I'm mainly referring to the series which are more popular in GAF than the genres they are in. Soma is another one but I lean towards Bambino! should I choose to read a cooking oriented manga.

Dani_dc is right in saying that except Hinamatsuri isn't as popular though.

I'm mainly referring to the series which are more popular in GAF than the genres they are in. Soma is another one but I lean towards Bambino! should I choose to read a cooking oriented manga.

7 Seeds? Josei/Shoujo with a story that beats the crap out of most Seinen mangas out there.

Zweizer

Banned
equal idiots.

But who isn't an idiot to some extent?

Oh, I see.

Hinamatsuri is still read by a fair amount of people here but yeah it's not as popular as most other series. Who cares if you've already read Suzuka? You should have joined us!

Koe no Katachi 57

Is the manga ending soon? I don't want to see anything destroyed again :(

It'll end around November, so yes.

Usobuko

Banned
^ Not looking for recs atm, 7 seeds is on my PTR list already along with Glass Mask ( chill, I got this, Antiwhippy ).

Btw, AW, would you fancy a read on The World Is Mine once I embark on 7 seeds?

Zweizer

Banned
Awww, nerts.

Genshiken Nidaime ch91.5

Real yuri!

Jyoshikausei ch22

Never had enough rolls for that. Then again I doubt the school would've let us pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom