• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

Do you guys forget how much holding hands could escalate to another level of lewdness if its intense enough as shown by Prison School?

Arslan 16

Can the Earth Shattering Announcement be an anime? Or will it be anime, or conversion to a weekly manga. The chapters are short enough for it anyway.

Sadly this chapter did make it seem like people existed like this in history, burning valuable txts of great scientific and biomedical worth.

Wynnebeck

Banned
At the rate we're going and with the amount of titles left, I'm not so confident we'll see him win that title during Ippo manga run, unless there's some time skip.

If anything, the manga needs to speed up. Trying to have 3-4 different story lines within one manga with each arc taking a ridiculous amount of time to resolve is insane. This loss for Ippo ha literally put him back about a year story wise as we now have to deal with his recovery as well as Taka's preparation for his heavyweight fight.

dani_dc

^ Not looking for recs atm, 7 seeds is on my PTR list already along with Glass Mask ( chill, I got this, Antiwhippy ).

Btw, AW, would you fancy a read on The World Is Mine once I embark on 7 seeds?

This reminds me that I need to pick back up in Glass Mask, I stopped at the arc where Maya and Ayumi were going to play the same character, right before seeing Maya performance.

Kind of got sidetracked, but I was enjoying it a lot.

dani_dc

If anything, the manga needs to speed up. Trying to have 3-4 different story lines within one manga with each arc taking a ridiculous amount of time to resolve is insane. This loss for Ippo ha literally put him back about a year story wise as we now have to deal with his recovery as well as Taka's preparation for his heavyweight fight.

The manga needed to speed up 5-10 years ago, Ippo spent years having inconsequential title defenses for absolutely no reason. Having Ippo lose might get him to actually evolve as a boxer once more, it was needed, if anything it came too late.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This reminds me that I need to pick back up in Glass Mask, I stopped at the arc where Maya and Ayumi were going to play the same character, right before seeing Maya performance.

Kind of got sidetracked, but I was enjoying it a lot.

Huh, I thought you got past that one? Not sure if I'm thinking about the same one.

dani_dc

Huh, I thought you got past that one? Not sure if I'm thinking about the same one.

I didn't, just went to check, I was right at the start of Vol. 12, so didn't get very far on it.

Ah yes, I also got around reading both Anamorphosis and Friction the other day, don't have much time to write my thoughts on them right now, but I did enjoy both. Might do a small write up later in the week.

Antiwhippy

Ah, alright, definitely wasn't what I was thinking.

That's a really good arc too. The manga is really good at establishing ayumi's character as such a great rival.

Shengar

The thing with Ippo is.....its too detailed for its good. While detailed artwork, and psychological condition of the fighters before the match is what makes Hajime no Ippo a great read, it's also a weakness on its own. George Morikawa should just cut the side matches, and focused on both Ippo and Takamura or it'll take another 10 years before Ippo can challenge Ricardo Martinez.

bjork

I know Be-bop High School set the standard for delinquent manga or whatever, but I really hope it gets beyond the two guys trying to trick each other while they scam on a girl they never end up with. There's not enough sticks and shit in this for me, classic or no.

dani_dc

Ah, alright, definitely wasn't what I was thinking.

That's a really good arc too. The manga is really good at establishing ayumi's character as such a great rival.

Which arc were you thinking off? When they both did "Growing up" ?

By far one of the strengths of the manga, very few manga manage to pull the rival character well, they usually end up straying too far into "asshole" side of the equation.
Glass Mask manages to make me care for Ayumi and respect her skills and hard work just as much as Maya.

Usobuko

Banned
Not liking the coincidences in TWIM but everything else is really solid. Best part is this unrestrained portrayal of a crazy* story, Hideki Arai goes all out. Apparently, the last volume would be the part that tops everything before it.

Meet Mon, a violent killer faithful only to his own eruptive desires, and his timid companion Toshi, a demolition-devil with a fanatical thirst for destruction. Their killing-spree across Japan is destined to intersect the path of the enormous "Higumadon", a mysterious beast on a Godzilla-like rampage from Hokkaido to Tokyo.

Suzuka 98/120
Suzuka is going MURICA! for a year, and a standard fare of arguements starts because she refuse to give Yamato her reasons. Its later resolved because it turns out she was actually worried about him, and she couldn't tell him cause.

Yamato then proceeds to find a job for a computer, and ends up at Yui shop/house doorstep.

THE DRAMA CONTINUES.

Antiwhippy

Which arc were you thinking off? When they both did "Growing up" ?

By far one of the strengths of the manga, very few manga manage to pull the rival character well, they usually end up straying too far into "asshole" side of the equation.
Glass Mask manages to make me care for Ayumi and respect her skills and hard work just as much as Maya.

It goes throughout too. I have no problem in saying that it is the best rivalry portrayed in manga that I've read.

I mean, just think about. The rich, everything-is-laid-out-for-her ojou rival character is the one who is hardworking in order to maximise her talent, while the poor, have-to-scrap-her-way-to-the-top character is considered the natural genius (though maya works pretty hard too). Just changing the dichotomy of their relations make their character interactions so much richer.

God I can't stop fanboying about glass mask.

Chariot

Liar Game 189

Nao, why are you so useless? You would think that she would finally do amazing in the last game.

It'll end around November, so yes.

Yes, no more suffering. Healing time!

Yeah the manga's ending soon. I don't know how I'll deal with not being able to see a new weekly dose of fluffy hair
Ah, thank god <3

They almost held hands... you can't go much further than that.
Damn ecchi manga!

Usobuko

Banned
Shinofusa Rokuro has a somewhat unique artstyle that's recognizable.

3nODpKO.jpg

dani_dc

It goes throughout too. I have no problem in saying that it is the best rivalry portrayed in manga that I've read.

I mean, just think about. The rich, everything-is-laid-out-for-her ojou rival character is the one who is hardworking in order to maximise her talent, while the poor, have-to-scrap-her-way-to-the-top character is considered the natural genius (though maya works pretty hard too). Just changing the dichotomy of their relations make their character interactions so much richer.

God I can't stop fanboying about glass mask.

Honestly, so far I would agree with you, it's really one of the best rivalries I've seen so far.
I really love how everyone has this image of Ayumi being "born with everything" when that's really not the case at all, she had a lot sure, but she works like no one. Between her and Maya I'm not sure who's crazier. Right now I'd go with Maya only due to her blind-deaf-mute training for her current role.

From everything I read, you have all the reason to fanboy over it, it's really good.

I'm honestly shocked that so many people here don't seen to have read it.

Ayumi

So many highlights in this thread, I might as well drop by and say hello! (&#12494;)´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`(&#12542;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UQ Holder

Is Sayoko supposed to actually be Sayo or is this just a reference to the Negima character? Or is it her sister that was never actually shown?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Fuuka anime is just going to be weird music shit. At some point they're going to have to cover the fact that doing a pretty good cover of some song isn't the same thing as writing music. Granted, they could probably just get writers if Fuuka herself took off, although it seemed like they were going for a "band" thing, not "Fuuka becomes an idol."

Quixzlizx

The Fuuka anime is just going to be weird music shit. At some point they're going to have to cover the fact that doing a pretty good cover of some song isn't the same thing as writing music. Granted, they could probably just get writers if Fuuka herself took off, although it seemed like they were going for a "band" thing, not "Fuuka becomes an idol."

Is this Fuuka anime hypothetical?

Also, I think Sara and keyboard bro probably have some writing chops, although Seo-sensei could asspull writing talent out of any of them, really.

Angry Grimace

Is this Fuuka anime hypothetical?

Also, I think Sara and keyboard bro probably have some writing chops, although Seo-sensei could asspull writing talent out of any of them, really.

Sure, but Suzuka and KNIM have animes, so I don't have a reason to believe Fuuka won't have one at some point.

Fox318

I wanted a second season of Mysterious Girlfriend X but that last chapter had one of the worst endings I've read in a while.

dani_dc

Remember we're getting a big announcement in next week chapter of Fuuka!

He survived?

Did he need counseling?

It was one of his first animes, at least it didn't shock him out of anime.

I somehow convince him to do the read-along, unfortunately he lacks a gaf account to post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom