• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sawaraseteyo Shiba-kun (oneshot)
tumblr_mzice21GB31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Another great entry in the constantly growing hair obsession theme leads to love type of event. Shiba being the cuticle angel was a funny term and seeing things evolve in this one shot was entertaining. It even had the good type of drama I like in school stories too handled in a well thought out manner with a good result. The art was wonderful too.

Yonafunu

Kinda late but whatevs

Bleach

Zabimaru still hasn't completely acknowledged Renji yet? Yeah, sure, whatever. Out of fucking nowhere, in the last arc, without as much as a hint to this being the case in the entire series so far. Ok, well, then Renji will have to go meditate and talk to Zabimaru or some shit, right?
Nah, this random monk will tell him the secret name, fuck having to earn it by actually making Zabimaru acknowledge him! But how can Renji use his full Bankai if Zabimaru hasn't agreed to it yet? Because fuck it I'm a magician, that's why.

Naruto

I would applaud but we all know where this is going.

One Piece

This was weird. It helps that we haven't known Cavendish for long, but I felt like this entire situation with Hakuba came outta nowhere, and not in a good way. Twists like this need some kind of foreshadowing or buildup. In this case we get the hints/foreshadowing and reveal in one chapter. It doesn't work, and feels like Oda made it up on the spot. It's very un-Oda-esque.

Nisekoi is just another shitty harem (pretty much the whole genre is mind numbingly stupid) where we have generic dense MC surrounded by girls who want to suck his dick for no apparent reason. The plot of such series' DOA or disappear sooner than later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now THAT would be a pleasant twist !
Yeah I know but it's not called wishful thinking for nothing !

I still find it funny that pretty much all of the advertising for Shokugeki no Soma has Erina on it despite her only being in like, what 1/5th of the chapters so far? She barely even has any character development beyond having some kind of connection to Jouchirou.

Its pretty obvious Chitoge is the only person who could ever win in Nisekoi, mostly because there isn't a story if she doesn't. They also use Chitoge as the stand in advertising character in that too - she's on the cover of Jump pretty much all the time and nobody else from the series really is.

Nisekoi is just another shitty harem (pretty much the whole genre is mind numbingly stupid) where we have generic dense MC surrounded by girls who want to suck his dick for no apparent reason. The plot of such series' DOA or disappear sooner than later.
Nah brah, its close to realizing its true potential as a battle shounen.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

The worst part is how incredibly generic everyone is.

Every character can be practically defined in terms of which shitty anime tropes they embody:

Raku: Oblivious to Love, Chick Magnet who moans about how girls don't like him.
Chitoge: Not Too Foreign, Tsundere
Onodera: Generic Perfect Japanese Flower Maiden
Tsugumi: Sexy Crossdresser (e.g. the "Bifauxnen"), Action Girl
Marika: Stalker with a Crush, Generic Energetic Girl who openly crushes on MC, but everyone ignores, Ill Girl

Even the side characters fall into these tropes - e.g. Shuu is the butt monkey best friend of the player MC that nobody seems to like, e.g. Furuichi or Yosuke from Persona 4. All of the girls are, of course, supermodels, and teenage MC does not notice that he's hanging around 4 supermodels every day.

Nah brah, its close to realizing its true potential as a battle shounen.
In the next chapter Raku's classmate would all, one by one, begin coughing, vomiting blood and go into septic shock. The doctors cannot do anything, but scientists think after analyzing the virus that it was man-made. The plague would soon engulf all the world. But Raku, family-less now that all of his fellow yakuza died of the disease, is on his deathbed, with his side Chitoge crying because she will lose her last classmate. She knows the virus is extremely virulent, but yet, she slowly removes her CBRN glove of her suit and firmly grasps her fake lover. It's strange, she begins to feel tired, yet refuses to let go of his emaciated hand. She soons gives in to the darkness.

Next day Raku wakes up, looking around confused, as if he was living on borrowed time. And then, cast his sight on his bedside, discovering the body of Chitoge. He then swore then by Zawse that he would find the source of all this tragedy.

DOUBLE ARTS

I KNOW YOU WANT TO DO THIS NAOSHI-KUN

Angry Grimace

So why do you all keep reading it/talking about it if you don't like it? There are more productive things to do...

Because there were only like 20 chapters out when people started to talk about it and the author had done Double Arts before that, which a lot of people had liked before it was cancelled early.

upandaway

I still find it funny that pretty much all of the advertising for Shokugeki no Soma has Erina on it despite her only being in like, what 1/5th of the chapters so far? She barely even has any character development beyond having some kind of connection to Jouchirou.

Its pretty obvious Chitoge is the only person who could ever win in Nisekoi, mostly because there isn't a story if she doesn't. They also use Chitoge as the stand in advertising character in that too - she's on the cover of Jump pretty much all the time and nobody else from the series really is.
Don't think about advertising too much, it's not even the author that decides that stuff. They're using Erina because the only alternative is Tadokoro, but Takodoro is a sidekick and not a main. Chitoge is definitely main girl though.

I remember when Nisekoi was just starting, I was freaking out because there were two opposing main girl flags (back when it was hinted Onodera is the only childhood promise girl). Usually it's either childhood promise or transfer student in a manga, and if it's both they're usually the same character, so I didn't know what to expect if the two tropes were competing. All that was blown away with the multiple keys though.

No point in thinking about it anyway, Nisekoi will have a non-ending. Chitoge and Raku will hook up in a tame way, some tears here and there, and things carry on as usual. That's why people reading it for the main plot (and not liking it when it doesn't progress the main plot) are just being silly.

Angry Grimace

Don't think about advertising too much, it's not even the author that decides that stuff. They're using Erina because the only alternative is Tadokoro, but Takodoro is a sidekick and not a main. Chitoge is definitely main girl though.

I remember when Nisekoi was just starting, I was freaking out because there were two opposing main girl flags (back when it was hinted Onodera is the only childhood promise girl). Usually it's either childhood promise or transfer student in a manga, and if it's both they're usually the same character, so I didn't know what to expect if the two tropes were competing. All that was blown away with the multiple keys though.

No point in thinking about it anyway, Nisekoi will have a non-ending. Chitoge and Raku will hook up in a tame way, some tears here and there, and things carry on as usual. That's why people reading it for the main plot (and not liking it when it doesn't progress the main plot) are just being silly.

The more important reason Chitoge is the main character is because she actually is. There's no actual plot (and yes, even Nisekoi has a plot) otherwise because Raku already likes Onodera.

The ending of Nisekoi is going to be Raku realizing he likes Chitoge but not actually making any kind of move on either of them, the same as in the original To Love Ru.

Also, I think Tadokoro is kind of a breakout character in Soma, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she continues to act as deuteragonist.

Stulaw

Hayate
Now we just need to know what happened to his brother, because I think he's the one that has the stone, and if not, Hayate must keep it on his person at all times and has forgot about it.

Come on dude, any time something happens in bleach, you manage to defend it, and any time anything happens in one piece, you call it stupid. This is getting out of hand.

Cavandish basically has a multiple personality disorder, he's a Jekyl and Hyde character. I doubt he "fell asleep" in the fight in a narcoleptic sense, either his other personality decided to take over, or he purposely triggered the switch. All these coliseum guys bust out their secret abilities when the fights get rough, and this is Cavendish's turn. What's "so fucking dumb" about it, exactly? You don't even hate on One Piece with a REASON these days.

No it´s dumb. He fell asleep in the middle of the battle just like that and his other personality came out. And suddenly his other personality blew everyone away. It´s pretty dumb. What secret ability have we seen? Everyone? Do you know how many characters there were introduced that were just fodderized with barely doing anything?

I don't think you understand what the word "foreshadowed" means. There had never been any indication throughout the entirety of the series that Renji's zanpakutou had been keeping anything from him. No odd occurances, no lingering glances at his sword, etc etc. It can certainly be rationalized after the fact by saying "yes, the name matters, ala Yumichika," and "Renji fast-trained his Bankai and didn't really earn the full version" and whatnot. It's not a stupid thing necessarily, but it definitely came out of nowhere. We knew he'd get a powerup from the royal guard, but it certainly wasn't foreshadowed to be something like "your sword didn't acknowledge you, and hid its name from you." I would've preferred it to reveal its full name to him personally, to ACTUALLY acknowledge his present strength, instead of mr buddah here just saying "lol I'll tell u the name." Awfully impersonal.

I'd like to note that I have zero agenda against any of the big three, I'm not defending one piece and attacking bleach. I just feel compelled to counter your constant hyperbole against each.
Except the fact that his bankai was snake and anything resembling a baboon, which is the other half of the zampakto. The matter of the fact that we know that the name of the zampakto has a huge significance is very well established thing in Bleach. Byakuya even mentioned that Renji needed years to know his bankai, that it was still early for Renji to use it in battle. That was in SS arc. Yeah Zabimaru should have told Renji, but i don´t have a problem for him getting a short cut.

People still read Nisekoi because they got invested early on with very good art and a plot that seemed to be going somewhere at a decent pace. Now that it's stalled out for a couple years, much of the enjoyment of people reading is taking the 2 minutes or less to read a chapter and bemoan the state of it with everybody else. It's a community thing. It doesn't take any time outta my day and it's relieving and amusing to freak out sillily about it with other people. Don't take it so serious, we're all just having fun with it how we can at this point. Cause it sucks.

That and chapters involving Shuu or Ruri are absolutely worth reading. Ruri is the best character in the whole damn thing. Normally I just look for pages to clip her reactions from.

upandaway

The more important reason Chitoge is the main character is because she actually is. There's no actual plot (and yes, even Nisekoi has a plot) otherwise because Raku already likes Onodera.
Didn't mean Nisekoi has no plot, it's everywhere. But I don't think it's right to say Chitoge is the main just because, there are hard reasons. Chitoge is the main girl because she's the catalyst of the story (the starting point is her coming into Raku's life).

Onodera can't be the main girl because she was the status quo even before the story started (her side of the plot has no beginning). Every girl that came afterwards can't be the main girl because they haven't done anything to advance the story beyond what Chitoge did. At this point it's too late for that to happen, but it could have happened up until Marika or so.

Angry Grimace

It would have made more sense to simply say he got a new sword entirely. Saying he didn't know the real name is just rehashing the explanation given with Yumichika.

Didn't mean Nisekoi has no plot, it's everywhere. But I don't think it's right to say Chitoge is the main just because, there are hard reasons. Chitoge is the main girl because she's the catalyst of the story (the starting point is her coming into Raku's life).

Onodera can't be the main girl because she was the status quo even before the story started (her side of the plot has no beginning). Every girl that came afterwards can't be the main girl because they haven't done anything to advance the story beyond what Chitoge did. At this point it's too late for that to happen, but it could have happened up until Marika or so.

You may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, but I think we're saying the same thing - Chitoge is the main girl simply because she is based entirely on the plot. There literally is no plot without her because Raku doesn't have to do anything otherwise since Onodera and Raku are already into each other. Tsugumi and Marika don't do anything, either.

People still read Nisekoi because they got invested early on with very good art and a plot that seemed to be going somewhere at a decent pace. Now that it's stalled out for a couple years, much of the enjoyment of people reading is taking the 2 minutes or less to read a chapter and bemoan the state of it with everybody else. It's a community thing. It doesn't take any time outta my day and it's relieving and amusing to freak out sillily about it with other people. Don't take it so serious, we're all just having fun with it how we can at this point. Cause it sucks.

That and chapters involving Shuu or Ruri are absolutely worth reading. Ruri is the best character in the whole damn thing. Normally I just look for pages to clip her reactions from.

Nisekoi is bad in a non-offensive way, e.g. its just throwaway cuteseyness. Bad enough I wouldn't watch the anime, but not bad enough that one could legitimately complain about it since everyone knows what it is.

The ending of Nisekoi is going to be Raku realizing he likes Chitoge but not actually making any kind of move on either of them, the same as in the original To Love Ru.

Also, I think Tadokoro is kind of a breakout character in Soma, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she continues to act as deuteragonist.

I watched the first episode and Chitoge already annoys me a lot.

upandaway

You may be misunderstanding what I'm saying, but I think we're saying the same thing - Chitoge is the main girl simply because she is based entirely on the plot. There literally is no plot without her because Raku doesn't have to do anything otherwise since Onodera and Raku are already into each other. Tsugumi and Marika don't do anything, either
Yeah, I guess we're done then.

The anime um, isn't that good. I'll go ahead and predict a small anime bump.

Angry Grimace

I saw about ~2 minutes of it on Crunchyroll and I noticed that they don't have noses in the Nisekoi anime.

Nisekoi is bad in a non-offensive way, e.g. its just throwaway cuteseyness. Bad enough I wouldn't watch the anime, but not bad enough that one could legitimately complain about it since everyone knows what it is.

I'll agree in it's badness but disagree in that everyone knows what it is NOW. Way back when, discussing it on boards, there were lots of us eager to see where the plot was going. It wasn't an amazing engrossing plot, but it was nice enough to make us want the next chapter. Then the author realized he had no idea where he was going with it or that he was moving too fast and would have to end his work sooner or whatever the reason and it's now become the "NOTHING HAPPENED" manga. So you have a bunch of us hanging on still reading it because the art is cute and it takes like 2 seconds to read.

Complaining about it isn't me slamming my keys on the keyboard with veins popping out of my head. It's laughing along with others, trying to see what hyperbole or jokes we can make about it while I'm already flipping through whatever manga I'm reading next.

Kurita

Well, it's people's fault if they expected something different... I knew what I was going to get when I started reading it...

Manga targeted at (pre-)teenagers + romance = ???

Angry Grimace

I'll agree in it's badness but disagree in that everyone knows what it is NOW. Way back when, discussing it on boards, there were lots of us eager to see where the plot was going. It wasn't an amazing engrossing plot, but it was nice enough to make us want the next chapter. Then the author realized he had no idea where he was going with it or that he was moving too fast and would have to end his work sooner or whatever the reason and it's now become the "NOTHING HAPPENED" manga. So you have a bunch of us hanging on still reading it because the art is cute and it takes like 2 seconds to read.

Complaining about it isn't me slamming my keys on the keyboard with veins popping out of my head. It's laughing along with others, trying to see what hyperbole or jokes we can make about it while I'm already flipping through whatever manga I'm reading next.

You knew it was going to shit when Chitoge got plot development instead of Raku because that just makes it a generic harem instead of a wacky love triangle.

ManGAF is really tsundere towards Nisekoi

My top waifu choices are always the tsundere bitches. I find it an amusing trope.

exarkun

Is negima worth reading? I've read Love Hina, and I've started to read UQ Holder, but I wondering if negima is worth it since its so long.

Is negima worth reading? I've read Love Hina, and I've started to read UQ Holder, but I wondering if negima is worth it since its so long.

It depends, do you enjoy more the travel or the payoff ?

Because while Negima was really enjoyable, its ending is...bad, rushed, abruptly ended with a lot of plots points left hanging (which will hopefully be adressed to in time in its indirect sequel UQ Holder
who the hell am I kidding here
)

Angry Grimace

It depends, do you enjoy more the travel or the payoff ?

Because while Negima was really enjoyable, its ending is...bad, rushed, abruptly ended with a lot of plots points left hanging (which will hopefully be adressed to in time in its indirect sequel UQ Holder
who the hell am I kidding here
)

It won't be addressed until very late, I imagine. Right now UQ is not very compelling, to be honest.

It won't be addressed until very late, I imagine. Right now UQ is not very compelling, to be honest.
Well we can only hope it'll truly take off. Personally I'm not to worried as Akamatsu has shown he can make good battle scenes, characters you grow to care about and interesting lores. Serious Negima spoilers :
seriously I still find the whole Martian Magic World good
Anyway we'll say UQ Holder will truly be awesome the day Jack Rakan appears.
Who isn't?
Not me !

Hachi Ichi 14
How to be a Gentleman 101

Angry Grimace

Well we can only hope it'll truly take off. Personally I'm not to worried as Akamatsu has shown he can make good battle scenes, characters you grow to care about and interesting lores. Serious Negima spoilers :
seriously I still find the whole Martian Magic World good

The biggest problem so far is that Kuromaru is the only interesting character, but there are lots of [characters] already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom