• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you blame the guy though he's been writing One Piece for a long long long long long time.

I don't know man as a One Piece fan I don't buy that as an excuse. If a writer feels like he's running out of steam or doesn't have it anymore then he should wrap it up. I don't know if no one at Jump is willing to filter Oda out but I think by this point he's built up so many story ideas that the time should come to wrap it up.

Kind of ironic you're reading Jojo because that predates One Piece by like 10 years and at least Araki learned how to cycle it up, even if that meant throwing away an aspect that was popular. Could you imagine if Jojo was still about Jonathan?

I don't know man as a One Piece fan I don't buy that as an excuse. If a writer feels like he's running out of steam or doesn't have it anymore then he should wrap it up. I don't know if no one at Jump is willing to filter Oda out but I think by this point he's built up so many story ideas that the time should come to wrap it up.

Kind of ironic you're reading Jojo because that predates One Piece by like 10 years and at least Araki learned how to cycle it up, even if that meant throwing away an aspect that was popular. Could you imagine if Jojo was still about Jonathan?

Yeah I can see what you mean, but then again this is a big problem for most long running Shonen series. As for JoJo I really have to praise Araki for changing things up for each Part, it's a really smart idea. Having a new MC in each part makes things fresh.

dumbyugi

Except for these last couple of chapters I read all of Dressora is one go and I thought it was great. At the very least I have enjoyed it more than Skypeia. Fishman Island still takes the worst arc crown.

upandaway

They've gotten a lot more drawn out. And not in a good way.

Alabasta Arc: Chapters 155 to 217
this arc. 700 to 791+ , I'd bet it going over 100 chapters

Before you could have the arc, maybe a flashback of 1-3 chapters, but now it's at least 5+ chapters flashbacks each arc giving the same amount of story.
Honestly I wouldn't mind the arc length, if it wasn't a one-two punch in combination with the fact it comes out at 3 chapters a month. It's getting hard to keep up the spirits when it's this slow. Reading it as it comes up instead of by marathon is definitely taking its toll.

I'm on chapter 49 of Seven Deadly Sins and I don't know if I like it or not. It seems like a hodgepodge of all the shonen cliches I can think of and the power levels are off the fucking charts. Is it worth pushing forward?

Except for these last couple of chapters I read all of Dressora is one go and I thought it was great. At the very least I have enjoyed it more than Skypeia. Fishman Island still takes the worst arc crown.

for me I also didn't like Fishman island but at least they went to more places compared to how small and compact DressRossa felt

idk maybe it is because I am re-reading my old volumes
I'm on chapter 49 of Seven Deadly Sins and I don't know if I like it or not. It seems like a hodgepodge of all the shonen cliches I can think of and the power levels are off the fucking charts. Is it worth pushing forward?

power levels become overly important later on

even more important then Toriko which is saying something

BUT there is a more interesting plot later on after the main one wraps up (as in the villians for me are better)

dumbyugi

If you don't care about it much now then I'd just drop it. It doesn't get any better. Also if you think the power levels are off the chart now wait until they introduce scouters that give them a number later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma spoilers

Soma decides to make a Taiwanese specialty street food - Hujiao bing (Taiwanese Pepper Biscuit). I'm assuming there is more to it, but of course it fits with Soma's "food for the masses" thing.

Cat Girl is apparently in this chapter.

Revo

If you can't stand the shounenness then definitely quit. It only grows later on (as said, there is actually a scouter that displays the actual number of the powerlevel)

And it'll only probably grow as the maincast grows stronger

kv82ZS5.png

That just looks stupid to me.

And look at all those traitorous scums rebelling.

At least we'll get to see sanji.

Think it's been like a year and a half since seeing him?

Sanji a shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
kv82ZS5.png

That just looks stupid to me.

And look at all those traitorous scums rebelling.

Sanji a shit.

Apparently your eyes let you summon a Gundam now.

Not that it matters. Everyone complained that the enemies in this arc sucked, but the thing is, he's fighting Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura and even Sakura is already well beyond Kage-level in strength. Naruto and Sasuke are essentially deities at this point. Its like Demon King Piccolo trying to start a fight with Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dressrossa would have been pretty good if it wasn't for that godawful pacing coupled with that godawful release schedule.

To be fair on the latter, he did work himself into the hospital and thus Shueisha forced breaks every few weeks.

Angry Grimace

Better than a tank tho.

Not that any of that matters.

Everyone complained that the enemies in this arc sucked, but the thing is, he's fighting Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura and even Sakura is already well beyond Kage-level in strength. Naruto and Sasuke are essentially deities at this point. Its like Demon King Piccolo trying to start a fight with Super Saiyan 3 Goku.

To be plausible, they should probably get squashed.

Zweizer

Banned
To be fair on the latter, he did work himself into the hospital and thus Shueisha forced breaks every few weeks.

Yeah, the latter is excusable. Everything else isn't. I wish that he'd take a much longer break so that he can rest and sort out his ideas better.

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess it is because it is less about the world and new horizons and more about powering up

which to me also is shown in DBZ compared to DB in which I preferred the latter

I think what I liked most about Z's start as opposed to the other timeskips is that it went to the meat of the story rather early on. Raditz appears early and the whole beginning arcs pretty much deal with what Goku is. OP and Naruto basically reset the pacing with fairly separated arcs.

(Of course I do think pre-timeskip Dragonball is a lot stronger though compared to Z's entirety)

Coffee Mou Ippai 01-03

5EnylEjl.png

Short stories about how a cup of coffee can change a relationship.

Nice short stories. Each one is pretty sweet and all tie well with coffee as a general theme.

Revo

Toriko 329

The masks looked pretty cool.
I've pretty much become numb to seeing all these new things so quickly in every single new place we go to though.

Zweizer

Banned
AKB49 ch183

Minori is a pretty nice senpai~

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch36

She's so caring~

(I must say, I'm really loving her tights this past couple of chapters~)

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki ch37

Hmm, I hope he never catches up to her.

I think what I liked most about Z's start as opposed to the other timeskips is that it went to the meat of the story rather early on. Raditz appears early and the whole beginning arcs pretty much deal with what Goku is. OP and Naruto basically reset the pacing with fairly separated arcs.

(Of course I do think pre-timeskip Dragonball is a lot stronger though compared to Z's entirety)
agreed that Z got to the point rather quickly

this again comes down to pacing as particulalry OP suffers from wasting too much time in one arc

Still compared to Naruto, OP at least had more places to explore while Naruto had some new places for the beginning of Shippuden but eventually stopped the unique world building for a focus on a ton of characters all at once

the war arc in that barren wasteland for how long was unbearable compared to OP which post timeskip had bad pacing but the at least were fighting in a actual place....

Still currently both have done timeskip not as well but with some highlights

There are some Shonen for me that did do better timeskips then all three though

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's a bad sign where the actual fuck I can give to One Piece right now is about the same with Bleach.

Uh huh yeah everybody cries a bunch of cliched words getting thrown around uh huh one-hit kill super move uh huh can we move on please?

At least Toriko is still exciting, and Assassination Classroom is now good as well. Oh and Soma as well.

Naruto is just not salvageable.

couldn't get into Assassination Classroom but people said it gets exciting so I may try again

after I read Part 4 Jojo

Toriko's pacing is superb an arc is usually less then 30 chapters in length

360pages

The small things this arc from alabasta, but it's overall flow and beats borrow heavily from that arc. To the point where it is similar and worse than that arc. Actually one of my overall problems with One Piece that a lot of arcs follow.

(Straw hats go to X figure out it is ruled or in danger by Y and they stop Y and make X a better place)

The arcs that break away from that are usually the best in the series. (Enis lobby, Impel Down Marineford) dessaora to me represent that arc take to its extreme. Outside some really neat abilities Dessaora felt like a mismatch of other One Piece arcs

I actually like One Piece...but this arc.

indeed Impel down was great

usually when Luffy isn't in a town stuff gets done

town arcs were nice in Part 1 but the people are now starting to see a formula with it and everyone gets a sad backstory template too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom