• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I frankly don't care. Not quite sure why I should consider the popular opinion on this forum relevant as to whether or not something is a reasonable criticism.
Then you are missing the point of why this is discussed right now. This is a "issue", thats primary brought up by trolls to have a bullshit complain, because these people say character death = stake. Its not only on NeoGAF, i Have to admit, its also on Reddit and on YouTube, but its always just to troll.

Cause there are stakes. If for example Civil War had ended without Cap going into hiding, the Avengers beeing broken apart and Rhodey crippeled, then you would be right. Or Homecoming without Spider-Mans identity known to a villain, who is already been teased to be blackmailed by a more dishonorable villain then Toomes is.
Its super stupid, its like complaining that the Stormtroopers dont shot Han Solo, Leia and Luke.

jph139

I mean I just sort of wonder why we set up strawmen to knock down before anyone even levels a criticism. It's not like the MCU community thread is a hotbed of haters.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I mean I just sort of wonder why we set up strawmen to knock down before anyone even levels a criticism. It's not like the MCU community thread is a hotbed of haters.

I think Glass Rebell just got the whole "I dont care what NeoGAF says/thinks" wrong.

El Topo

Then you are missing the point of why this is discussed right now. This is a "issue", thats primary brought up by trolls to have a bullshit complain, because these people say character death = stake. Its not only on NeoGAF, i Have to admit, its also on Reddit and on YouTube, but its always just to troll.

"There is no legitimacy, you are just trolling" is a cheap way to brush off criticism, whether or not there is a group that is guilty of that/whether or not ultimately legitimate or not. I'd also say that (at least at GAF) it seems to be way more often that Marvel fans bring this up to joke about it, but then I don't pay much attention to those squabbles. As for Reddit or Youtube, maybe I'm just too old to know what people there say about MCU.

Cause there are stakes.

I'm fairly certain that no one means that there are *literally* no stakes or no consequences at all.

If for example Civil War had ended without Cap going into hiding, the Avengers beeing broken apart and Rhodey crippeled, then you would be right.

If none of that is brushed away in a trivial manner, but lasts, then you are right. I don't think they have necessarily done a great job at dealing with the consequences of the movies though. To give an example, people bring up Hydra as a justification for Cap's irratic behavior in CW, but this enormous revelation doesn't really seem to have had much as much of an impact (not counting Agents of Shield) as one would have expected. I think the same could be argued for many other events in MCU. That's not per se bad, but I understand if someone is disappointed. People bring up death as the ultimate example of consequences because it is the ultimate consequence, the one you cannot get away from (barring shenanigans) and (as people here rightfully say) also in a way the cheapest way to have stakes.

Its super stupid, its like complaining that the Stormtroopers dont shot Han Solo, Leia and Luke.

How is that similar?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Personally, I think the MCU could do with more burgers.

Mmmm

I'd prefer a doughnut myself.

1469667391779.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
"There is no legitimacy, you are just trolling" is a cheap way to brush off criticism, whether or not there is a group that is guilty of that/whether or not ultimately legitimate or not. I'd also say that (at least at GAF) it seems to be way more often that Marvel fans bring this up to joke about it, but then I don't pay much attention to those squabbles. As for Reddit or Youtube, maybe I'm just too old to know what people there say about MCU.
Yes, its now been brought up more often by "us" now because we turned the meme around. It can be that we do this to often, sometimes I find it a bit annoying, most the time I think its fun when it fits.
And for the part with the just trolling, you know exactly who I am talking about. I am not talking about the ordinary fguy or gal, I am talking about the stans, who dont care about these movies or read a summary and then troll the threads.

I'm fairly certain that no one means that there are *literally* no stakes or no consequences at all.
People who are interested in really engage with these movies for sure, but not the people who dont give a shit and just want to shitpost. But I am pretty sure you know this.

If none of that is brushed away in a trivial manner, but lasts, then you are right. I don't think they have necessarily done a great job at dealing with the consequences of the movies though. To give an example, people bring up Hydra as a justification for Cap's irratic behavior in CW, but this enormous revelation doesn't really seem to have had much as much of an impact (not counting Agents of Shield) as one would have expected. I think the same could be argued for many other events in MCU. That's not per se bad, but I understand if someone is disappointed. People bring up death as the ultimate example of consequences because it is the ultimate consequence, the one you cannot get away from (barring shenanigans) and (as people here rightfully say) also in a way the cheapest way to have stakes.
You are talking about Winter Soldier, but what happened after Hydra went out of the shadow? The Avengers were on their own, have no governmental partner anymore, a big new foe stepped out of the shadow, the origin of the twins were set up. Thats enough IMO. Because, we cant forget, these movies need to stand on their own to some degree, not everyone is like us and runs in every movie.

How is that similar?
Because, same as in the MCU, these characters have Plot Armor. Thats why nobody dies. I am still going at the There are no stakes because nobody dies argument because thats where all of this originated from.

So you are saying that those that disregard whether something is the popular opinion shouldn't post. That's pretty fucked up.

No I'm saying if you don't care about the topic being talked about don't reply.

Making fun of people throwing out regurgitated "criticism" isn't setting up strawmen. "No stakes" has been a staple of driveby shitposting together with "looks like a TV show" etc. for a while.

El Topo

You are talking about Winter Soldier, but what happened after Hydra went out of the shadow? The Avengers were on their own, have no governmental partner anymore, a big new foe stepped out of the shadow, the origin of the twins were set up.

I don't think the last two count as a consequence, given the superficiality of the connection. As for the first point, I feel like that is hard to count as well, given that we don't really get much time with SHIELD around for comparison (especially as they are crippled in the first Avengers movie as well) and they still show up when need in form of Fury/a helicarrier. We are told about SHIELD and its downfall, but it's not really felt all that much.

Thats enough IMO. Because, we cant forget, these movies need to stand on their own to some degree, not everyone is like us and runs in every movie.

But that's the crux. How lasting and severe are the consequences really if every movie has to work as a standalone? The downfall of SHIELD cannot be this enormous world shattering revelation ("My senator is a nazi?!?"), because people have to be able to watch the other movies without having seen Winter Soldier. I think that's the problem these critics ultimately have. Whether or not that is an issue is something everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Because, same as in the MCU, these characters have Plot Armor. Thats why nobody dies. I am still going at the There are no stakes because nobody dies argument because thats where all of this originated from.

There is a stark difference though between plot armor that is necessary as a device to keep the protagonists alive through the story itself and not having lasting change over the course of several movies.

There is a stark difference though between plot armor that is necessary as a device to keep the protagonists alive through the story itself and not having lasting change over the course of several movies.
One might indeed say a Stark difference is what keeps these movies from having stakes.

Fhtagn

One might indeed say a Stark difference is what keeps these movies from having stakes.

Stark's changed more than anyone in the series though. The idea that there's no "stakes" is a bullshit complaint who want popcorn movies (very good ones that have very good actors, but popcorn nonetheless) to be Bergman or Kurosawa, or worse, just dark for the sake of it.

If anything, people actually have "stakes" fatigue instead. Part of what was so great about most of Homecoming was none of the threats were global/universal. Sick of cities exploding or the entire world being at risk. Some lower stakes stories would be great for the series. It would raise the tension if there were failure states that didn't end the world because then it's more plausible for the heroes to fail in some meaningful way. And heck, then they could actually kinda lose occasionally. I'd like to see that.

But cheap character deaths for no reason... nah, I'm good thanks. I like these movies because they are mostly light and inspirational.

All that said, considering where we're heading with the next three films, I'm sure the "stakes' are finally arriving. You can't just kill people or change the entire world for the sake of "stakes" if doing so would undermine the narrative arc. We're only just now getting to the part where it finally makes sense for main characters to sacrifice themselves. Infinity War is the first film where I'll be disappointed if the ending isn't at least in part substantially downbeat, like an Empire Strikes Back kind of ending.

(And Civil War had an ESB ending too; don't believe that "Stark smiled at the letter" stuff, he didn't.)

Pachimari

Brie Larson has given a status on her Captain Marvel movie:
"I may be getting ready, I may not be getting ready!" Larson revealed. "Anything I say I feel is hyper analyzed."
"I mean, I feel pressure in that it's a character that people love and are inspired by," Larson explained, "and I see that, and so I want to do right by that. And I want people to feel like their character is honored."

Samuel L. Jackson then expressed his excitement to be working with her again:
"Hanging out with Brie." Jackson explained. "Brie's like, awesome. Brie's my girl."

While Ryan Reynolds added:
"He's looking forward to depth perception." Reynolds joked, referencing the fact that Nick Fury will have the use of both of his eyes in the film.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder if Brie Larson has to get ripped, too.

Also, man, I'm so glad they got Brie for that role. She's such a great actress and person, her Twitter is Chris Evans tier.

Nyanmaruz

Not sure if this was posted but Deadline reports that Marvel and Netflix are gonna film 135 episodes by the end of the year.

Apparently they are currently filming a total of 26 episodes for Jessica Jones S2 and Luke Cage S2 and added 23 more for Daredevil S3 and Iron Fist S2.

Goddamn.

(You will also notice the lower total for DD S3 and IF S2)
Holy crap, seems like they are fast tracking the hell out of the netflix series. Hopefully the quality of the shows doesnt suffer because of this...especially Iron Fist.

Not sure if this was posted but Deadline reports that Marvel and Netflix are gonna film 135 episodes by the end of the year.

Apparently they are currently filming a total of 26 episodes for Jessica Jones S2 and Luke Cage S2 and added 23 more for Daredevil S3 and Iron Fist S2.

Goddamn.

(You will also notice the lower total for DD S3 and IF S2)
I would not be surprised if DD's going with 10 episodes because the showrunners must be burnt out from doing Defenders. Hopefully, 10 episodes means they can do "Born Again" with each episode being quality.

Since the last Defenders trailer came out I said I wanted to rewatch all of the shows sans Iron Fist to prepare for Defenders. I just finished Daredevil season 1 yesterday, so I doubt I'll be able to go through the rest in time.

Holy crap, seems like they are fast tracking the hell out of the netflix series. Hopefully the quality of the shows doesnt suffer because of this...especially Iron Fist.

I would not be surprised if DD's going with 10 episodes because the showrunners must be burnt out from doing Defenders. Hopefully, 10 episodes means they can do "Born Again" with each episode being quality.

Both Iron Fist S2 and and Daredevil S3 seem way too early to start shooting. I guess in the case of Iron Fist they probably knew for a while that Buck was gonna hop onto Inhumans and were able to build a new crew around the new showrunner but Petrie and Ramirez are apparently still on Daredevil S3 right after The Defenders.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I mean, is there really much further down Iron First could go from where it already was?

WTF has been doing on in this thread? Fucking madness here.

Anyway :scust: at that Ragnarok runtime, needs to be longer. Hela needs to be *properly* developed, unlike kaecillius, in another rushed movie.

So you are saying that those that disregard whether something is the popular opinion shouldn't post. That's pretty fucked up.

When they kill off
Tony
Steve
Banner
Clint
Rhodey
Vision

I don't wanna hear you brehs say shit

xPdsqj2.png

And the russos turn Avengers into Loeb's Ultimatum

#NOSTAKES

Cap's boyscout routine has gotten old and the "man out of time stuff" has run its course. Pass the shield onto someone more dynamic. I'd love Falcon but the movie version is a bit flat and I doubt Marvel would tell the story that deserves to be told, so sure, Bucky, why not. Or maybe Black Widow or something. Captain Russian-America.

1 nu-marvel apart from Kamala K is trash so female thor, miles, etc belong in the garbage.
2. Cap is a fucking jaded war criminal running from the law, the complete opposite of boyscout.

I don't want Tony Stark to be recast, I'd rather they Logan'd him off with Shane Black than get someone else. RDJ is gone after 2019 I feel, he's probably getting too expensive, and IMO it feels like there's nowhere else to take the character.

AMUSIX

Comic book proportions: Ripped and fat tiddies.

meh...not quite as much as she used to be, and not as much as other female comic characters.

These are the two images Marvel uses for their directory entries for carol as Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel
l2oqA98.jpg
gTllpMIm.jpg

Even in licensed products, like the Sideshow figures (which always go for enhanced physiques) her body is noticeably toned down:
8qVMXIQl.jpg
gxcrh3Fl.jpg

I don't think Brie needs to put on much muscle, but she is playing a military woman, so she needs to look fit.

Walton Goggins is also playing an incredibly minor comic character despite being a part of the main cast so I have a feeling he's likely playing a villain with a changed identity like Whiplash and the Mandarin.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
https://talkiesnetwork.com/2017/08/01/ant-man-and-the-wasp-official-synopsis-released/

“From the Marvel Cinematic Universe comes a new chapter featuring heroes with the astonishing ability to shrink: “Ant-Man and The Wasp.” In the aftermath of “Captain America: Civil War,” Scott Lang (Rudd) grapples with the consequences of his choices as both a Super Hero and a father. As he struggles to rebalance his home life with his responsibilities as Ant-Man, he’s confronted by Hope van Dyne (Lilly) and Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas) with an urgent new mission. Scott must once again put on the suit and learn to fight alongside The Wasp as the team works together to uncover secrets from their past.“

Doesn't tell us much but it sorta sounds like he's not on the run since he still has a home life.

Top Bottom