• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Anyone else find it disappointing that (late game spoilers)
no one on the Citadel gives a damn when you're running around with a geth in your crew? He doesn't even show up during the entry scan. Some tight security there, let me tell you :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fortinbras said:
Please hep me...I can't stop the bitch fight between
Miranda and Jack
I've done all quests and I've got all other squad members loyal. I'm almost 100% paragon and the Paragon option for the fight is still greyed out. I've got a female Shepard so there are no romances involved. I really don't know what to do anymore. :(

What I've heard is that after the fight, once you get 100% Paragon, you can convince the party member to be loyal again.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
dmshaposv said:
So I finally started playing the game..

Is it just me or Vanguard has been severely dumbed down? I was unstoppable in ME1 but now I'm having some trouble hitting the ride stride in ME2.
Charge is useless at the start of the game, but it gets much better later on in the game when you can charge without automatically killing yourself in the process.

Crunched said:
Anyone else find it disappointing that (late game spoilers)
no one on the Citadel gives a damn when you're running around with a geth in your crew? He doesn't even show up during the entry scan. Some tight security there, let me tell you :lol
The security chick in the dock explains it to you if you bring Legion with you and ask her about the new security.

EazyB

Banned
My mini-review of ME2. Probably going to stir up some hate as many see this game as the second coming but whatever. No brilliant insight so feel free to skip right over it.

I suppose I came into ME2 with my expectations set too high because many aspects of the game have underwhelmed me. I'm hesitant to say I over-hyped it because I didn't think ME1 was as brilliant as others claim it to be so my expectations were probably lower than most.

I was disappointed with the combat. Improved over ME1 but still falls short of anything labeled a shooter. They really improved how the gunplay and the arcing shots give it something fresh and fun. I love the 3-round burst Battle Rifle and the pistol Hand Cannon. Hmm... wonder why :p The addition of heavy weapons and the move from overheating to ammo counts was a smart move.

But shitty cover mechanics, getting stuck in animations, glitches, bugs, AI you'd only find in the shittiest shooter make the game play sloppier. Limiting your abilities to one per cooldown, the lack of grenades, and the fact that the trajectory of your teammate's abilities spawn from your player character limit the strategy involved. As someone who appreciates gameplay first and foremost these shortfalls were the most important.

Maybe I'm judging ME2 as a shooter too harshly, it's unfair when it could be argued that it's an RPG first. The game pretty much delivered on the RPG front. While it retained most of the good RPG elements from the first, it improved and streamlined them a bit too. You level up and improve abilities less often but the changes feel more significant. They added armor parts which, while sort of a missed opportunity because they were so rare
(unless I fork out $$$ for future DLC)
, was a welcome addition. They reduced the amount of looting in general, while some of this falls to preference, I enjoy the looting elements of RPGs and while I appreciate the fact that each gun you found felt significantly different, there should have been a lot more of them
DLC wat
. Not entirely sure how I feel about the move from exp per kill to exp per mission but I think a may've preferred a mix of the two. Finding vendors or certain treasure chests to find weapon upgrades is sorta cool but it would've been better if there were multiple locations and ways of acquiring them.

Story stuff. Though the main story arc was worse than ME1's. The final mission was presented from the very beginning of the game. While interesting from a design standpoint, the way the surrounding missions were set up made the main story feel like a super long fetch quest. There were maybe 5 main story mission and what that main arc lacked in length they replaced with 10 or so character acquiring missions and another 10 loyalty mission if you chose to do so. At the end of ME2 I felt like nothing had really been accomplished; from a purely story perspective it could've been a spinoff of the main arc. ME1's main story felt more epic and was paced much better. That said, Bioware really made those character missions pretty interesting and worthwhile. The problem was the majority of them had nothing to do with the main story and which made it feel like I was just putting what was supposed to be urgent on pause. I supposed that could've played a role in how I felt about the main story arc. the dialogue and stuff was pretty good. Tried to be funny too often and fell short more times then I'd have liked. The writing in Dragon Age was much better (given DA's cinematic delivery as lacking). I really don't like Shepard as a character, I don't know if it's the voice actor but almost every line he delivers (good, bad, or neutral) just made him seem like a douche... There were some pretty memorable lines and many of the other characters were better.

Graphically the game is phenomenal. With the exception of some clipping and animation glitches it does an awesome job and may be the best looking thing on the 360. I've always loved ME's art direction and character design and ME2 doesn't disappoint.

Beat it on Veteran and am in the midst of a "insanity" play-through. While my review probably sounds harsh, it was a fun ride the first time through and good enough to entice me to play through it a second time.

im unclear how on earth bioware could have loused up the sequel to one of the greatest games of this generation... and they loused up the FREAKING STORY... JESUS CHRIST

i can't even sleep, the story was so bad, i am so supremely pissed off, it's like they freaking teased us for 2+ f***ing years and left us with this s***?

is it wrong to be this angry after you simply expected a GOOD story and not some silly fetch quest?

dmshaposv said:
So I finally started playing the game..

Is it just me or Vanguard has been severely dumbed down? I was unstoppable in ME1 but now I'm having some trouble hitting the ride stride in ME2.

A lot of people will tell you that Vanguards in ME2 suck, but they just take more skill to be well with. They definitely are one of the harder classes to start out with, but as you level up they improve a great deal as long as you're willing to put the time in learning proper hit and run tactics and use charge responsibly.

Mass Effect 2's story is worlds beyond Mass Effect 1's, and I'm baffled as to how anyone could think otherwise.

Now, Mass Effect 1 had a better plot than Mass Effect 2, but that's an entirely different matter.

Ashodin

MisterAnderson said:
A lot of people will tell you that Vanguards in ME2 suck, but they just take more skill to be well with. They definitely are one of the harder classes to start out with, but as you level up they improve a great deal as long as you're willing to put the time in learning proper hit and run tactics and use charge responsibly.
Once you get Charge's reuse time down enough, you can effectively Charge -> BLAST the fuck out of them -> back up -> CHARGE -> repeat. So much fun!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meltdowns are funny.

Micius

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
im unclear how on earth bioware could have loused up the sequel to one of the greatest games of this generation... and they loused up the FREAKING STORY... JESUS CHRIST

i can't even sleep, the story was so bad, i am so supremely pissed off, it's like they fucking teased us for 2+ f***ing years and left us with this s***?

Just remember, Metal Gear Solid (1998)->Metal Gear Solid 2 (2001)->Metal Gear Solid 3 (2004)->Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008). A decade-long mindfuck, it's been done before... :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Damn it GAF, damn it!

I have a save file for Lv. 50 Male Infiltrator Renegade ready to be played in this game but since I found out that Shepard can romance
Tali
in ME2--and I just could not resist the temptation of doing that--I replayed ME1 as a Paragon guy since it would be pretty weird for a bigoted racist-towards-alien Shepard to make a relationship with her and I want my character's personality to be consistent throughout the entire game universe.

I am currently just finished rescuing Liara in ME1 with all the available optional quests up until there (save the mining/collecting stuff) finished. I thought I could do it, play it all the way to the end with my Paragon guy...

But...

THE TEMPTATION OF PLAYING ME2 IS KILLING ME! Hahaha. Especially after reading this thread. I am SO tempted to just ditch my ME1 paragon play-through and start playing ME2 as my Renegade character right now...

Damn it, I am so conflicted over this :lol

Gestahl

tehrik-e-insaaf said:

i can't even sleep, the story was so bad, i am so supremely pissed off, it's like they freaking teased us for 2+ f***ing years and left us with this s***?

is it wrong to be this angry after you simply expected a GOOD story and not some silly fetch quest?

I've played through Mass Effect 1 4 and a half times, and it is nothing compared to this game. Game blows the first out of the water in almost every respect.

Micius

Laughing Banana said:
Damn it GAF, damn it!

I have a save file for Lv. 50 Male Infiltrator Renegade ready to be played in this game but since I found out that Shepard can romance
Tali
in ME2--and I just could not resist the temptation of doing that--I replayed ME1 as a Paragon guy since it would be pretty weird for a bigoted racist-towards-alien Shepard to make a relationship with her and I want my character's personality to be consistent throughout the entire game universe.

I am currently just finished rescuing Liara in ME1 with all the available optional quests up until there (save the mining/collecting stuff) finished. I thought I could do it, play it all the way to the end with my Paragon guy...

But...

THE TEMPTATION OF PLAYING ME2 IS KILLING ME! Hahaha. Especially after reading this thread. I am SO tempted to just ditch my ME1 paragon play-through and start playing ME2 as my Renegade character right now...

Damn it, I am so conflicted over this :lol

Haha, I hear ya... I've also read about guys over on the Bioware board who didn't want to romance
Tali
as a "cheating" Shepard and went back to Mass Effect to do a romance-less run. Ah, the lengths people go to satisfy immersion... :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Mass Effect 2's story is worlds beyond Mass Effect 1's, and I'm baffled as to how anyone could think otherwise.

Now, Mass Effect 1 had a better plot than Mass Effect 2, but that's an entirely different matter.
ME2 has me far more invested in the universe then ME1 ever did.

But i'm nearing the end, and i haft to admit i'm pretty disappointed with the plot overall, there's nothing wrong with it, but barely anything has happened plot-progression wise. And i'm on the second last planet or so.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

do explain oh supremely arrogant and confident one, how was the story better in me2 vs me1?

the plot for me2 was actually better from the outset - the idea that shepard dies, gets revived by cerberus, and how you are going to go into enemy territory and uncover secrets to accelerate the war against the reapers - the issue was that the STORY falls short (some crap about reapers harvesting human genetic material to build a new reaper, totally goes unexplained, some crap about protheans being mindless slaves) - me1's plot was kinda lame in comparison (find out what these beacons are by visiting xyz planets then report back to council) but the STORY was amazing (cycle of extinctions, nature of reapers, etc)...

I'm surprised that so many people are bitching about the plot. I found it extremely satisfying, and the format of the game was unique in that there was MASSIVE buildup to the climax and IMO the climax totally delivered. Considering this is a setup for the third game (which I went in expecting) I love how BioWare pulled it off. I only hope that
they don't plan on replacing your crew again in the third. What made 2 so good is the relationships you built up with your crew and all the character development through their loyalty missions. ME2 really would be a very big waste if they just have you get a new crew in the 3rd one. The logistics of letting you keep your crew though will be a hurdle though, since not everyone will have all of their crew members alive, so they will need replacement crew for the ones who died which means more VO work "just in case."

Ashodin

Micius said:
Haha, I hear ya... I've also read about guys over on the Bioware board who didn't want to romance
Tali
as a "cheating" Shepard and went back to Mass Effect to do a romance-less run. Ah, the lengths people go to satisfy immersion... :lol
My first run I cheated with Tali. Next time it's faithful all the way baby!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lafiel said:
ME2 has me far more invested in the universe then ME1 ever did.

But i'm nearing the end, and i haft to admit i'm pretty disappointed with the plot overall, there's nothing wrong with it, but barely anything has happened plot-progression wise. And i'm on the second last planet or so.

Yeah, the bulk of the narrative of the first Mass Effect was about Saren and the Geth. In ME2, the bulk of the narrative comes from building your team.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
do explain oh supremely arrogant and confident one, how was the story better in me2 vs me1?

Tone down your meltdown and stop being so offended.

if you consider the storylines of the "side quests" to suggest that me2 has a better story than me1, please remember, THEY ARE SIDE QUESTS, the main storyline SUCKED, and THAT is what matters, not the collectathon of loyalties

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
if you consider the storylines of the "side quests" to suggest that me2 has a better story than me1, please remember, THEY ARE SIDE QUESTS, the main storyline SUCKED, and THAT is what matters, not the collectathon of loyalties
The loyalty missions weren't exactly side-quests, otherwise they'd be classified as "assignments" in the log.

tehrik-e-insaaf said:

the plot for me2 was actually better from the outset - the idea that shepard dies, gets revived by cerberus, and how you are going to go into enemy territory and uncover secrets to accelerate the war against the reapers - the issue was that the STORY falls short (some crap about reapers harvesting human genetic material to build a new reaper, totally goes unexplained, some crap about protheans being mindless slaves) - me1's plot was kinda lame in comparison (find out what these beacons are by visiting xyz planets then report back to council) but the STORY was amazing (cycle of extinctions, nature of reapers, etc)...

Why is it bad to have certain things unexplained? They still haven't explained a shit ton about the first game that I've been asking myself since I first played it, and that is what's so fun about the series. The mysterious nature of the Reapers has always been the most appealing thing about this series' story to me, and I definitely did not expect everything to get revealed in the second game of an already announced trilogy. Revealing a little bit at a time and (hopefully) getting it all explained by the end is kind of the point. I also personally found
the revelation that the Collectors are enslaved Protheans, and the fact that a big part of the reason behind the harvest/cycles are a means of Reaper reproduction to be extremely fucking awesome.

Edit: You also are comparing the ME1 and ME2's very strangely by using the word "story" and "plot" as if they have different meanings...

Darklord

Banned
tehrik-e-insaaf said:

The actual story might have been simple but they handled it very well and made it more exciting than ME1 overall.

Gestahl said:
I've played through Mass Effect 1 4 and a half times, and it is nothing compared to this game. Game blows the first out of the water in almost every respect.

consider the final mission for me2 vs. what happens in the final planet/citadel run in me1?

are you honestly telling me that me2's final suicide mission was better than me1's incredibly epic and final planet/citadel mission?

reading some of the posts above i can see why people DID like me2 - the tali sidestory was AWESOME as was mordin's - but i mean, did you guys not feel LET DOWN by the complete lack of depth in the final suicide mission? compare this to what happened in me1 at the prothean base and the truth about the citadel and the keepers, etc?

tehrik-e-insaaf said:

Because one of the biggest functions of story is characters, and the cast in Mass Effect 2 is worlds beyond the cast in Mass Effect 1. Outside of Wrex and Liara, the cast in Mass Effect 1 were nothing to write home about (Tali and Garrus were neat, but got too little development over the course of the game). Mass Effect 2 does a great job at developing a large cast, and also developing the incidental characters much better, from crew members like the Engineers, to characters like Aria, the Krogan Shaman, the female Admiral of the Flotilla, and so on. Hell, I could tell you more about the Quarian and Turian at the bar on Illium than I could tell you about Kaiden, and he was in my party in Mass Effect 1.

Setting is also a huge place in which Mass Effect 2 surpasses the first one. Mass Effect 1 had the Citadel, and um, the Citadel. Zhu's Hope was also good, but hardly great. Mass Effect 2 has the Citadel, Omega, Illium, Tuchanka and more, all well developed places with a lot going on and their own distinct atmospheres and environments. Pretty much all of the mission locations are much better in Mass Effect 2 as well. This is another place in which the game was a huge improvement over its predecessor.

Characters and setting are two of the most vital components of stories, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that for those reasons alone (and believe me, there are more) Mass Effect 2's story blows Mass Effect 1's out of the water. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who still considers the first game an all time favorite. No disrespect to the original is intended.

Ashodin

MisterAnderson said:
I'm surprised that so many people are bitching about the plot. I found it extremely satisfying, and the format of the game was unique in that there was MASSIVE buildup to the climax and IMO the climax totally delivered. Considering this is a setup for the third game (which I went in expecting) I love how BioWare pulled it off. I only hope that
they don't plan on replacing your crew again in the third. What made 2 so good is the relationships you built up with your crew and all the character development through their loyalty missions. ME2 really would be a very big waste if they just have you get a new crew in the 3rd one. The logistics of letting you keep your crew though will be a hurdle though, since not everyone will have all of their crew members alive, so they will need replacement crew for the ones who died which means more VO work "just in case."
Definitely a few select choices will come. If you talk to the characters, it seems obvious that
A) Grunt will be gone
B) Jack will be gone
C) Miranda and Jacob are with you all the way (Miranda possibly not, but Jacob hell yes)
D) Legion will stay, depending on whether or not he decides to be an envoy to the quarians for peace
E) Zaeed will be gone
F) Mordin will stay (unless he returns to the STG/ works on some other huge scientific endeavor)
G) Tali will stay, depending on whether or not she leaves with Legion to try to bring peace to Quarian/Geth
H) Garrus is with you all the way (considering that he has nothing left to go to after you pick him up)
E) Samara will be gone
F) Thane will be with you until he's gone (lol)

Darklord

Banned
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
consider the final mission for me2 vs. what happens in the final planet/citadel run in me1?

are you honestly telling me that me2's final suicide mission was better than me1?

I'd say equal.

Maxrpg said:
All I gotta say was the music really packs in the emotion. Suicide Mission is the best, most heartful goddamn track in ME history.

Yeah...goddamn. I was not impressed with the soundtrack during the game aside from a few tracks (like Illusive Man's theme) but when that final mission started...they completely redeemed themselves. I think that my favorite track is when
you have a biotic escorting you to the next area through the swarm. That music was so damn good.

Ashodin

MisterAnderson said:
Yeah...goddamn. I was not impressed with the soundtrack during the game aside from a few tracks (like Illusive Man's theme) but when that final mission started...they completely redeemed themselves. I think that my favorite track is when
you have a biotic escorting you to the next area through the swarm. That music was so damn good.
What about The Lazarus Project? That music is awesome too. Symbolizes hope.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Micius said:
Tali

Hahaha, yeah I suppose I am just weird that way. It just feels weird if my character is inconsistent. During my previous ME1 playthrough I even re-loaded a couple of times because some of the scenes that happened because of my decisions were not in-line enough with how I envisioned my character.

In retrospect, reading this thread I suppose is not a good idea after all, hahaha.

Damn it Tali and all of your awesomeness!

MisterAnderson said:
Why is it bad to have certain things unexplained? They still haven't explained a shit ton about the first game that I've been asking myself since I first played it, and that is what's so fun about the series. The mysterious nature of the Reapers has always been the most appealing thing about this series' story to me, and I definitely did not expect everything to get revealed in the second game of an already announced trilogy. Revealing a little bit at a time and (hopefully) getting it all explained by the end is kind of the point. I also personally found
the revelation that the Collectors are enslaved Protheans, and the fact that a big part of the reason behind the harvest/cycles are a means of Reaper reproduction to be extremely fucking awesome.

Edit: You also are comparing the ME1 and ME2's very strangely by using the word "story" and "plot" as if they have different meanings...

the guy above kept saying there was a difference in "plot" in "story" - so using the literary definitions - story was about the content of events, plot is about the sequence of events

i have no problem with the sequence of events - that is, until the very end which was a let down and did not stretch out enough - but overall it was much more interesting than ME1 - but, what i have a severe problem with is the content of those events - ME1 blows ME2 out of the water here... each time you played a main story-line mission, you learned pretty much next to nothing about the reapers except your occasional gem which was not explored in detail at all... where is the equivalent of prothean VI in ME2?

it REALLY seems like they ran out of time and needed to get the game done so they had a few standout sections of the game, but blew it on the final suicide run

Darklord

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Definitely a few select choices will come. If you talk to the characters, it seems obvious that
A) Grunt will be gone
B) Jack will be gone
C) Miranda and Jacob are with you all the way (Miranda possibly not, but Jacob hell yes)
D) Legion will stay, depending on whether or not he decides to be an envoy to the quarians for peace
E) Zaeed will be gone
F) Mordin will stay (unless he returns to the STG/ works on some other huge scientific endeavor)
G) Tali will stay, depending on whether or not she leaves with Legion to try to bring peace to Quarian/Geth
H) Garrus is with you all the way (considering that he has nothing left to go to after you pick him up)
E) Samara will be gone
F) Thane will be with you until he's gone (lol)

And what if you lose them all? You only get half a crew in ME3? I even heard if you die in ME2 you save won't be allowed to transfer over to ME3 which is bloody stupid making a forced non-canon ending. They better not screw people around like that. I want characters like Tali and Garrus back again but they only came back because they could 100% stay alive in ME1. The characters who could die were given back seat roles this time around.

tehrik-e-insaaf said:

are you honestly telling me that me2's final suicide mission was better than me1's incredibly epic and final planet/citadel mission?

reading some of the posts above i can see why people DID like me2 - the tali sidestory was AWESOME as was mordin's - but i mean, did you guys not feel LET DOWN by the complete lack of depth in the final suicide mission? compare this to what happened in me1 at the prothean base and the truth about the citadel and the keepers, etc?

The suicide mission did not lack depth. For the first time in a game I really felt like
a Commander. I felt like everything prior to that moment had built up to this point, and that what I was doing really mattered. And most importantly, I really cared about the characters and didn't want to see anyone not make it. One of my favorite aspects about the suicide mission is that EVERYONE in your crew is assaulting the Collector base. Never in ME1 did you utilize you're entire crew, in fact, there were a couple of crew members I literally never used in ME1, making it seem like I was just wasting their time dragging them along on that mission. The suicide mission utilizes your entire crew and makes it feel like all of the time spent recruiting your crew members was a worthy cause.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Because one of the biggest functions of story is characters, and the cast in Mass Effect 2 is worlds beyond the cast in Mass Effect 1. Outside of Wrex and Liara, the cast in Mass Effect 1 were nothing to write home about (Tali and Garrus were neat, but got too little development over the course of the game). Mass Effect 2 does a great job at developing a large cast, and also developing the incidental characters much better, from crew members like the Engineers, to characters like Aria, the Krogan Shaman, the female Admiral of the Flotilla, and so on. Hell, I could tell you more about the Quarian and Turian at the bar on Illium than I could tell you about Kaiden, and he was in my party in Mass Effect 1.

Setting is also a huge place in which Mass Effect 2 surpasses the first one. Mass Effect 1 had the Citadel, and um, the Citadel. Zhu's Hope was also good, but hardly great. Mass Effect 2 has the Citadel, Omega, Illium, Tuchanka and more, all well developed places with a lot going on and their own distinct atmospheres and environments. Pretty much all of the mission locations are much better in Mass Effect 2 as well. This is another place in which the game was a huge improvement over its predecessor.

Characters and setting are two of the most vital components of stories, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that for those reasons alone (and believe me, there are more) Mass Effect 2's story blows Mass Effect 1's out of the water. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who still considers the first game an all time favorite. No disrespect to the original is intended.

i kinda see where you are coming from, but i think you are missing the point - the main storyline is what made ME1 so awesome - ME2 falls short

it's like getting your car cleaned - you detail it, clean it up, repaint it - but it still has the broken and shattered windows all around it - that's just the way i see it

also double-check your definitions, in pure literary terms - strictly the "characters" and "setting" would fall under "plot" not "story" - however something like the CONTENT of
tali'
s loyalty mission would be considered "story" - and yes i agree that was an excellent side quest story

EatChildren

ME2 has the upper hand in a lot of areas, but I think the overall story tell, at least in structure, fails.

ME has pretty tight pacing which resulted in a very natural flowing story. We were immediately introduced to Saren's betrayal, the importance of Spectres, and the mystery or Sovereign from the very first mission. We're then forced into the Citadel, and the game hypes it up as a wonderous, mystical location, all the while adding mystery to the Protheans.

The companions are all there by association and we're immediately thrust into the main plot. We deal with the Genophage, we deal with the Geth, and towards the end we hit some great climaxes. We see Saren as much as a victim as he is the enemy, and we learn the mystery of Sovereign and the power of the Reapers.

Then we land on the truly alien and eery homeworld of the Protheans, and in contrast to the great power of the Reapers we learn how they defiantely stood against them. We learn the secret to the Citadel and suddenly the magical galactic city at the centre of civilization seems very fragile and uncontrolled.

The game climaxes with a return to one of the first area's we're introduced to; the Citadel. Gone are the feelings of saftey and wonder, instead replaced with an epic space battle and a looming Sovereign. We see the size and power of the Reapers, the fragility and destruction of the Citadel, and we have the memorable climb in zero-g to the top.

As a plot structure Mass Effect beats out Mass Effect 2 as it simply does a better job of being consistant with its themes, keeping imporant and memorable enemies and locations in the centre of the story, and does the classic story telling trick of taking something we're comfortable with and turning it upside down (in this case the Citadel).

Mass Effect 2 is hardly a bad story. Its got some good reveals, interesting characters and enemies, and above all it has a phenominal cast of companions. In ME all your companions were there by association. The idea behind ME2 was that these people dont really have a reason to fight for you, but you need them because they are the best of the best. You need skill, not people along for the ride. In that regard Mass Effect 2 ends up with infintely better written characters across the whole board.

But the overarching plot suffers as a result. Not enough time is spent with the Collectors. Two or three more plot centric missions should have been included to flesh out their story. There is never a properly identified main badguy we can connect with (
Harbinger wasn't presented well enough to be this
). And while the Suicide Mission is our ultimate goal, the lead-up was too rushed. The end is also a bit flat, depending on your taste, but I boil that down to mid-trilogy syndrome.

Both games have their pros and cons in story telling and substance. Hopefully ME3 is a mix of the best parts of both.

Ashodin

Darklord said:
And what if you lose them all? You only get half a crew in ME3? I even heard if you die in ME2 you save won't be allowed to transfer over to ME3 which is bloody stupid making a forced non-canon ending. They better not screw people around like that. I want characters like Tali and Garrus back again but they only came back because they could 100% stay alive in ME1. The characters who could die were given back seat roles this time around.
I would imagine you would find replacements in the beginning. It's no big deal.

MisterAnderson said:
The suicide mission did not lack depth. For the first time in a game I really felt like
a Commander. I felt like everything prior to that moment had built up to this point, and that what I was doing really mattered. And most importantly, I really cared about the characters and didn't want to see anyone not make it. One of my favorite aspects about the suicide mission is that EVERYONE in your crew is assaulting the Collector base. Never in ME1 did you utilize you're entire crew, in fact, there were a couple of crew members I literally never used in ME1, making it seem like I was just wasting their time dragging them along on that mission. The suicide mission utilizes your entire crew and makes it feel like all of the time spent recruiting your crew members was a worthy cause.

just gonna have to agree to disagree... yes the plot was great and had amazing potential, the story just totally fell short so i felt like the entire play through was a waste of time

if they just spent the time to have one prothean VI-style sequence in the final run (maybe one of the protheans escape indoctrination and try to help shepard with info and sacrifice themselves? or maybe a benevolent rival to the reapers from another galaxy starts attacking the collectors' base?) - it would have been potentially worth it - as it stands, it is a huge and massive dissapointment

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
just gonna have to agree to disagree... yes the plot was great and had amazing potential, the story just totally fell short so i felt like the entire play through was a waste of time

if they just spent the time to have one prothean VI-style sequence in the final run (maybe one of the protheans escape indoctrination and try to help shepard with info and sacrifice themselves? or maybe a benevolent rival to the reapers from another galaxy starts attacking the collectors' base?) - it would have been potentially worth it - as it stands, it is a huge and massive dissapointment

Yeah I'm not trying to start a huge argument with you over this or something, just defending my view. I understand why some might not have been satisfied with ME2, but I personally was more than satisfied. Just stating my case. :D

Nutter

Ramirez said:
It's sad that even after searching google and no one really saying anything here that I seem to be the only person in the world who got a defective disc. Bout my luck...:lol
What happened? Glitch or Lock ups?

N/M
Just read your post about it. Gamestop should exchange it. Just make sure you have the receipt. I dont see why they wouldnt as they get credit back from EA for bad disks.

Also install both disks and save the disks from spinning so much.

commissar

quick q: I've done all the loyalty missions except for Legions - if I do his now, will this lock me into the final couple of misssions once the IFF is integrated, or will I be able to scoot around the galaxy and finish discovering planets and shit?

Also are there really only 5 discoverable missions?

Finally advice on who do I give the fake ID to in Citadel, and how to fix the packages for Ish mission being bugged would be most welcome :)
MisterAnderson said:
what.

ME1 my first playthrough was Engineer which turned out to be one of the harder ones apparently.
Now in ME2 I choose Vanguard, now apparently one of the harder ones again.
Just my luck :|

Tisan said:
quick q: I've done all the loyalty missions except for Legions - if I do his now, will this lock me into the final couple of misssions once the IFF is integrated, or will I be able to scoot around the galaxy and finish discovering planets and shit?

Finally advice on who do I give the fake ID to in Citadel, and how to fix the packages for Ish mission being bugged would be most welcome :)

what.

ME1 my first playthrough was Engineer which turned out to be one of the harder ones apparently.

You have in a way kind of already locked yourself into the final couple of missions (sort of). You have time to do whatever you want to do, it just depends on certain things that I am not sure you want me to spoil or not. At any rate, you can always complete stuff you missed after the game so if you don't do everything it isn't the end of the world.

Darklord

Banned
Tisan said:

10 missions can be found by scans.

Answer to question:
I believe after you do the IFF mission you can do 1 more which then it starts leading you into other stuff. It's not a point on no return but I consider the Reaper IFF to be the beginning of endgame. You can do missions after the story though.

Dresden

Tisan said:

Vanguards are invincible in Normal, great in Veteran, decent in Hardcore and hard in Insanity... unless you play on the last difficulty, Heavy Charge will keep you alive for a long, long time. Vanguards are one of those few classes that can take a charging krogan or a geth destroyer head on and survive.* Charge-shotgun-melee-charge-shotgun-melee is pretty godly. My first playthrough was with a Vanguard on Hardcore, and halfway through the game, he became an unstoppable juggernaut.

*not guaranteed on insanity

Darklord

Banned
MisterAnderson said:

I only issue with Vanguard is charge is FUCKED. And I'm not talking about strength or usefulness, I like charge but it's broken. So many times I'll charge just to be ripped back to my original spot and not touching the enemy. Other times it locks the camera or character into 1 spot making it impossible to keep going without reloading.

Other than that I love vanguard. I used it in the original, in ME2 and I'll be using it in ME3 as well. It gives you a nice taste of both biotic and weapons without going fully one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom