• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Mindlog said:
Yep.

For me it was when a high level enemy spawns on top of me and the game closed the door behind me. If the first enemy isn't killed in a first strike it was time to reload. Falling behind killing charging enemies was not an option.

Partially again why I liked flamethrower. Warp/Overload charging minions, reave the people in front, AOE kill everybody.
My strategy was always crowd control. Singularity + pull were great for picking and isolating priorities. Warp was epic for splitting apart large groups that were netted up. Had barrier as my bonus talent, saved my ass dozens of times. Couldn't imagine switching it out for anything else.

I wish I'd tried shockwave out but never had the chance. Singularity insta-kills husks, though, which seemed like enough to edge out shockwave IMO.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
After 29 hours i have finally finished. Yays. It was a great experience overall. The ending segment was a little eh, it was intense but i hated that i couldn't save during it at all :lol . Full paragon, vanguard, did everything 100% as i have no real intention of playing through a second time.

As for how it ended for me, along with some ending opinions.
Jacob and Zaeed died, Everyone else survived. I blew up the ship and i believe i told the illusive man to bugger off, He wasn't happy so i assume that's what happened.

What was with having to fight the terminator 2 guy with 3 eyes? That seems so pointless. I was happy to have planted the bomb and have a cutscene of us getting out of there to happen. But i'm forced to fight a "boss"

Time to backup my ME2 save and wait for ME3 :D

wRATH2x

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
You ARE allowed to
touch down on a hub world and go shopping, but start playing N7 or loyalty/recruitment missions and crew will start to die.
Wat!?

I would love to comment on the Legion/Solo thing, but I think it ran its course.

Anyway put me in the ME2>ME1 camp.

I loved both games, but I think I enjoyed my time with ME2 more. I do think the music in ME1 was definitely better and more memorable, plus I miss how the mission were larger and longer. The Mako is something they should have improved upon.

But ME2 had the characters, loyalty missions, better gameplay, better weapons, better graphics(not by a large margin though), and to tell you the truth I enjoyed the story here more. The Illusive Man is fucking awesome even though
I told him to fuck off

Can not wait for ME3, it has to be fall next year. Or some heads are gonna roll.

AniHawk

FromTheFuture said:
Can you only have a romance with one character? I unintentionally hit on Garrus. Did not want that to happen.

You can break it off if you still haven't slept with him and want to get with Kelly or keep your romance with Liara going.

Dresden said:
What's wrong with bipedal bug-men?
Garrus is awesome, but that seems like an unwanted sex scene. Would much rather have Miranda (dat ass) or Tali
(dat suit)

Also, lesbians.

AniHawk said:
You can break it off if you still haven't slept with him and want to get with Kelly or keep your romance with Liara going.
I'm confused. I'm talking about ME2.

Just did the Tali mission with Garrus and Zaeed and holy shit both of them with upgraded snipers wreck all kind of havoc! I tore through the mission so easily it was crazy :lol

Cep

Banned
MWS Natural said:
Just did the Tali mission with Garrus and Zaeed and holy shit both of them with upgraded snipers wreck all kind of havoc! I tore through the mission so easily it was crazy :lol

Sniper rifles generally wreck the game.

Has anyone tried out Legion to see how viable he may be on insane? That widow he has is hot, but he does lack good powers...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cep said:
Sniper rifles generally wreck the game.

Has anyone tried out Legion to see how viable he may be on insane? That widow he has is hot, but he does lack good powers...

I'll try him out when I get him. The drones are a good distraction, always made stuff like a scion turn around to let you freely pummel it...and at that point I'd have a widow as well, can't even imagine 2 of them!

Xamdou

Anybody got any spare Inferno Armor? I am willing to trade the Terminus Armor or collector's edition armor or even the Dr. Pepper head gears just for one Inferno armor code.

Cep

Banned
Papercuts said:
I'll try him out when I get him. The drones are a good distraction, always made stuff like a scion turn around to let you freely pummel it...and at that point I'd have a widow as well, can't even imagine 2 of them!

His lack of powers really does harm him.

I mean, drone is okay. But it does really quickly on insane.

I did not test him out during my first insane run, I think i may do so now.

AniHawk said:
Who'd you get with in ME1?
I have no idea. I'm currently using a save from the saves database for ME2. I lost my own personal save file. What does that matter for ME2 if I want Miranda/Tali?

Edit - Just read the database. Says romanced with Kaiden, but sacrificed Kaiden on Virmire. So my ME2 save should have started out romanceless? Regardless, can I have a romance with more than one member, and if not, will the Garrus thing ruin it all?

Dresden

Think I'm going to ditch this Infiltrator Insanity run. Terribly boring. Guns in general are boring.

I think I'll give another shot at an Adept run... hmm. Reave for bonus skill, maybe. That means I'll be skipping Warp/Throw, though, so it'd be Area Reave-Area Singularity-Pull Field? Or maybe barrier, although I don't like shield skills.

AniHawk

FromTheFuture said:
I have no idea. I'm currently using a save from the saves database for ME2. I lost my own personal save file. What does that matter for ME2 if I want Miranda/Tali?

Oh, well, if you're using the default ME2 save, then I think your romantic option from ME1 was Kaiden. You'll know who it is because there's a picture on Shepard's desk in the bedroom.

Miranda, Tali, and Jack don't swing that way. Kelly does, though.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
Think I'm going to ditch this Infiltrator Insanity run. Terribly boring. Guns in general are boring.

I think I'll give another shot at an Adept run... hmm. Reave for bonus skill, maybe. That means I'll be skipping Warp/Throw, though, so it'd be Area Reave-Area Singularity-Pull Field? Or maybe barrier, although I don't like shield skills.

Are you cognizant of the fact that you are dropping the best class in the game for the worse?

If you wish to use less guns, I suggest you use the sentinel.

Dresden

Cep said:
Are you cognizant of the fact that you are dropping the best class in the game for the worse?

If you wish to use less guns, I suggest you use the sentinel.

I don't like Insanity feeling like Veteran. And time dilation=sniping is way too easy.

I had a sentinel at level 14, was bored of that too. I've finished the game twice, once on Vanguard and once on Engineer... hmm.

AniHawk said:
Oh, well, if you're using the default ME2 save, then I think your romantic option from ME1 was Kaiden. You'll know who it is because there's a picture on Shepard's desk in the bedroom.

Miranda, Tali, and Jack don't swing that way. Kelly does, though.
I can't have an ME2 romance? What is this crap? I didn't romance anyone in ME1 in my personal save, I think. Wanted to do it here.

TheFreshPrince

Question about Jack's loyalty:

I am at the
IFF retrieval mission from the Reaper ship
. I am at what looks to be about 79% Paragon. That means I don't have the option to persuade Jack to
become loyal again
. If I go forward with my current mission, will I have a chance to raise my Paragon before it's too late? I've looked all over for side missions that raise Paragon, but all I'm getting is EXP!

Thanks!

AniHawk

FromTheFuture said:
I can't have an ME2 romance? What is this crap? I didn't romance anyone in ME1 in my personal save, I think. Wanted to do it here.

If you're female shepard, your options are Jacob, Thane, and Garrus. And Kelly.
If you're male shepard, your options are Miranda, Tali, and Jack. And Kelly.

If you don't have a romantic option, Shepard drunkenly leads a bunch of confused crewmates to certain doom.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I don't like Insanity feeling like Veteran. And time dilation=sniping is way too easy.

I had a sentinel at level 14, was bored of that too. I've finished the game twice, once on Vanguard and once on Engineer... hmm.

After enough time with the game, Insanity will always feel easy.

During my current run, I almost never die.

AniHawk said:

Mass Effect taught me that psychologists are all just horny.

AniHawk said:

If you don't have a romantic option, Shepard drunkenly leads a bunch of confused crewmates to certain doom.
Well shit. Romances never go well for me in these games.

As a female Shepard, I don't want any of them. Garrus and Thane are awesome. But I wouldn't want to romance either of them. I'm indifferent to Jacob. Kelly is that annoying bitch that every time she says something, I want to tell her to shut the fuck up.

Dresden

Cep said:
After enough time with the game, Insanity will always feel easy.

During my current run, I almost never die.

True. It was kind of absurd with the Infiltrator, though. Cloak is essentially a reset if something goes wrong.

Macmanus

Finally beat it.
My Scientific Salarian died :(

The first Mass Effect was one of my favorites, and this tops it significantly. People may argue that the story in the first one was better, but the storytelling itself blew the first one out of the water. It felt like watching a season of a decent sci-fi show, as opposed to a really long movie.

Pros:
  • Krogan Wisdom: "A gun is better than a fish."
  • Blue cleavage
  • Shepard kicks a space dog-lizard in the face

Cons:
  • Minature ship-avatar not as fun as Spore's.
  • Fish kept dying like I just won it at the carnival by getting the ping pong ball into the bowl. I paid over 7000 credits for you, you fucking fish!
  • No Space-Rugby game on planet Invictus.

Question: Who the hell is Kelly?

Arde5643

Why is ME1 PC such a buggy POS?

On top of having to go through such crap combat, annoying loot, crap mako, tediously long elevators, I have to contend with so many bugs in ME1 PC.

Demiurge studios should really die for the abysmal porting they did for ME1.

What a crappy piece of shitty port.

Socreges

Banned
OK, I'm really getting into the game now. Still very early on, but I see huge potential. A couple questions:

What is the significance of Paragon/Renegade exactly? I'm beginning to understand how I get one or the other. I had one interesting conversation where I received +3 Renegade and +5 Paragon simultaneously. I'm not very consistent... was a callous dick to this one guy, but then decided to administer medicine to relieve his pain :lol But my question is: so what? If I'm more Renegade, are people more likely to do what I say? If I'm more Paragon, are people more likely to give me discounts or secret information? I'm guessing the game is well-balanced so neither is BEST, but I don't yet understand what the implications are so I'm pretty random in my choices.

If this is something that is eventually explained or becomes clear, then never mind.

Also, how does loyalty work? Is it random or do I influence who is loyal to me and who isn't?

My fear is that these are elements from ME1 and I'm just a little behind since I've never played it.

Red

Just started a new profile as an infiltrator on insanity. Wow, what a difference from playing as an adept. After the intro I checked and then rechecked my difficulty setting to make sure I didn't accidentally move it down to normal. Infiltrator gets shit done :lol

This also marks the first time I've been able to zoom with a sniper in a ME title. It is glorious.

AniHawk

Crunched said:
Just started a new profile as an infiltrator on insanity. Wow, what a difference from playing as an adept. After the intro I checked and then rechecked my difficulty setting to make sure I didn't accidentally move it down to normal. Infiltrator gets shit done :lol

That's god damn right. Infiltrator's fucking awesome.

Socreges said:
What is the significance of Paragon/Renegade exactly?
Shepard is essentially a good character. Choosing Paragon or Renegade decides whether Shepard is lawful good (upholds the law and all that) or chaotic good (will do anything to complete the mission).
Which pick whichever you find more interesting.

Socreges said:
Also, how does loyalty work? Is it random or do I influence who is loyal to me and who isn't?
Loyalty is basically decided whether you've completed a character's personal mission. Completing the mission means the character has put their personal matters at rest, and is ready to put his life on the line to carry out the mission

AniHawk

Socreges said:
OK, I'm really getting into the game now. Still very early on, but I see huge potential. A couple questions:

What is the significance of Paragon/Renegade exactly? I'm beginning to understand how I get one or the other. I had one interesting conversation where I received +3 Renegade and +5 Paragon simultaneously. I'm not very consistent... was a callous dick to this one guy, but then decided to administer medicine to relieve his pain :lol But my question is: so what? If I'm more Renegade, are people more likely to do what I say? If I'm more Paragon, are people more likely to give me discounts or secret information? I'm guessing the game is well-balanced so neither is BEST, but I don't yet understand what the implications are so I'm pretty random in my choices.

If this is something that is eventually explained or becomes clear, then never mind.

My fear is that these are elements from ME1 and I'm just a little behind since I've never played it.

If you're a dick to EVERYONE (including teammates), I don't think you're able to do their loyalty quests. You need to talk to a teammate. If you keep talking to them, you'll get an option on the map that says "Help Soandso". Complete the mission (you can fail some), and you'll make someone loyal to you. You can check in the character selection screen by pressing X to check their loyalty. It's either normal or loyal so you should know.

The renegade/paragon stuff really isn't that important. It's just there so it makes you feel more in control of a conversation, but 90% of the time they do the same exact thing.

Socreges

Banned
sub_zer0 said:
Shepard is essentially a good character. Choosing Paragon or Renegade decides whether Shepard is lawful good (upholds the law and all that) or chaotic good (will do anything to complete the mission).
Which pick whichever you find more interesting.
But what effect, if any, does it have on the rest of the game? Do other characters respond to me differently if I'm heavily one or the other? Is it negligible if I'm just a few points to either side?

sub_zer0 said:
Loyalty is basically decided whether you've completed a character's personal mission. Completing the mission means the character has put their personal matters at rest, and is ready to put his life on the line to carry out the mission
Ahhhh. Interesting!

deim0s

Arde5643 said:

On top of having to go through such crap combat, annoying loot, crap mako, tediously long elevators, I have to contend with so many bugs in ME1 PC.

Post 1.02 patch?

Btw, those are features of ME1 not bugs! :p

Red

Domino Theory said:
What set up do you recommend to beat Insanity?
I know you weren't asking me, but after playing as an adept, sentinel, and infiltrator, I have to say go with infiltrator all the way. Playing as an adept was the most tactical of the three, but also (by far) the most difficult. Sentinel is a lot more versatile and will stay alive long enough to pull through most battles-- you'll just have to drag things out a little bit. But the infiltrator simply tears through any and all opposition. Invisibility is easily one of the best abilities in the game, allowing you time to escape dangerous situations (enemies instantly stop shooting at you), or line up a perfect head shot with your ridiculously powerful sniper rifle. Plus all the infiltrator's abilities recharge quickly and they're built to cut through situations most other classes aren't equipped to deal with (having anti-synthetic, anti-personnel, and anti-armor abilities by default).

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
If you're a dick to EVERYONE (including teammates), I don't think you're able to do their loyalty quests. You need to talk to a teammate. If you keep talking to them, you'll get an option on the map that says "Help Soandso". Complete the mission (you can fail some), and you'll make someone loyal to you. You can check in the character selection screen by pressing X to check their loyalty. It's either normal or loyal so you should know.

The renegade/paragon stuff really isn't that important. It's just there so it makes you feel more in control of a conversation, but 90% of the time they do the same exact thing.
And I take it that whether a character is Normal or Loyal doesn't have much bearing on the game either?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Darklord

Banned
Arde5643 said:

It's a lot better than ME1 on the 360 that's for sure. A lot better.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
God damn, I wasn't ready for the next story mission. I expected
the rotating platform part of the collector's ship to be hard on insane, but this is ridiculous. I wish the game didn't force when you do these, I wanted to get someone else beforehand.

There was a single enemy left...and I fucked up.

Harbringer is a cheap motherfucker right now. Oh my god. So I cheaped back, and brought the blackstorm with me and took out the whole horde of collector's. Now that part was easy.
:lol

Socreges said:
And I take it that whether a character is Normal or Loyal doesn't have much bearing on the game either?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

It has a bearing on the ending, so having character's who are loyal is helpful.

Also, gaining a character's loyalty allows you to unlock a new power for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom