• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent OT, OP. I've been clicking in and out of ME2 streams all day as I poop-sock my final play through of ME1. Tuesday can't come soon enough!

Also, I'm grabbing this one:
me2-term2.jpg
, thank you Foil! :D

Swag

Kabouter said:
Major spoilers:
Ashley/Kaidan shows up during a mission, not taken by collectors.
Liara works on Illium as a competitor to the Shadow Broker.
Wrex leads the Urdnot clan on the Krogan home world.
Garrus returns after you help him take out three clans.

Aww shit
Liara, I can't wait to tap that ass again

FromTheFuture said:
I see. But the small stuff has an effect if you use an ME1 save file?

Things like
Whether you gave the military permission to experiment on Nirali Bhatia, If you did the Asari quest where she asked you to find her sister, and I think some of the other minor stuff carries over

They haven't really given out a complete list, but those are some of the things we've extrapolated / found out from interviews and such.

Foil

Great thread. As for the avatars I have the list of them compiled and some new ones. Not sure which characters are ok to post though.

Only a few more days now.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Man why isn't this song on the soundtrack? Boooo.

I have a feeling this game is going to get praised like crazy but certain aspects of it are going to be very very divisive.
would have been nice if it was, this was in Need for Speed 3 (or 4?) as well, love the tune

Frawdder

Great OP even though I did skim over it. I've been trying to avoid almost everything I can because I want to go into this game completely not knowing what, who or why.

I loved the first game and I think I'll be sinking a lot of time into this one.

.:Wesker:. said:
After roughly 8 hours with the game I can't say I'm all that impressed.

Maybe there's just something wrong with me D:

Spoiler tag your thoughts if necessary, interested to see if the same things dissapoint you or not.

MrTroubleMaker said:
would have been nice if it was, this was in Need for Speed 3 (or 4?) as well, love the tune

Really? Hmm will have to search it out now!

Lothars

Foil said:
Great thread. As for the avatars I have the list of them compiled and some new ones. Not sure which characters are ok to post though.

Only a few more days now.

Ok, I will remove them from my post, glad that they will be there.

Red

Does anyone know exactly how the "loyalty" system works? Is there just like a specific set of missions to complete for each character (like Wrex's armor and Tali's research from ME1), or is it a certain percentage or time you need to pass, like with the "complete the majority of the game with _____" achievements in ME1?

Crunched said:
Does anyone know exactly how the "loyalty" system works? Is there just like a specific set of missions to complete for each character (like Wrex's armor and Tali's research from ME1), or is it a certain percentage or time you need to pass, like with the "complete the majority of the game with _____" achievements in ME1?

It's just a single mission for each charatcer, similar to the ones in Mass Effect 1.
Once you complete the mission, the character is loyal and you unlock their alternate costume and extra ability.

Swag

Himuro said:
I'm drunk. And I have a feeling I'll highlight every single spoiler tag.

You should, in a weeks time you'll know about them all anyway. Think of it like masturbation before the date / sex.

LOL, I'm playing ME1 again and I found for the first time that Ashley and Liara have a fight in front of you, and Ashley tells you to choose between her or your "blue friend" :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
.:Wesker:. said:
After roughly 8 hours with the game I can't say I'm all that impressed.

Maybe there's just something wrong with me D:

I heard similar things from someone who is also playing. But they were the sort of things you'd need to play to understand fully.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Himuro said:
Maybe it is like BG2 where your actions will actually offend the characters to a point where they will leave or the opposite - endorse your endeavors.

Doubt it. That would "restrict" people too much. Most people would rather the characters blindly follow you rather than be able to stand up to the PC and even leave or sabotage his efforts. I think it would be interesting but its definitely something most people would want out.

Unless of course there is a good reason why they would stay despite disliking you, like in KotOR II and Planescape.

Red

Basileus777 said:
It's just a single mission for each charatcer, similar to the ones in Mass Effect 1.
Once you complete the mission, the character is loyal and you unlock their alternate costume and extra ability.
Thank god.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hootie said:
Yay, my xbox RROD'd last week, just in time for me to not be able to play ME2.

Fucking microsoft.

Fuck that sucks man :(.

At least you're taking it better than I did.

cazosozey

Bout to finish up my third play through for me1. Level 60 renegade vanguard all set for Me2. I'm really excited. For sure going to stick with vanguard barrier beast shock trooper monster for me2 as well.

Hootie

Pankaks said:
Fuck that sucks man :(.

At least you're taking it better than I did.

It lasted from July of '06 when I bought it until now, so I commend it for that much.

During that time it scratched the hell out of my discs and made some unplayable, though. So on second thought, I was being screwed all along.

Milk Lizard said:
Do you have a half decent pc ? Mass effect runs really well on even pretty bad computers.

My computer can't even run Diablo 2 fullscreen, so I'm going to go ahead and say no :lol

Nemesis_

So guys, do I need my BioWare Social account info to get the Mass Effect Galaxy bonus or do I need my EA Online one?

I would use my EA Online but I have forgotten the password and am scared that changing it will fuck up my Dragon Age and other EA games I play. >_>

eek5

Crunched said:
each character has a loyalty mission

Red

I have one more question for the knowledgeable:
There are another set of achievements in this game that require a certain number of uses of specific abilities (i.e. hack 30 enemies). In ME1 you were forced to use Commander Shepherd's skills for these abilities to count. Since no single class has access to all the required powers, at least two character builds had to be used. Has this changed for ME2, or will multiple playthroughs still be necessary for claiming all achievements?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

TheExodu5

Banned
What char/path/class is everyone going for ME2?

Since I only had a level 40 Female Infiltrator, I don't think I'll be carrying my character over. I want to try something new.

I'm thinking to start out with the default...Male Soldier Shepard, and play maybe Paragon or a mix.

2nd playthrough is going to be Female Renegade...maybe Vanguard.

TheExodu5 said:

Since I only had a level 40 Female Infiltrator, I don't think I'll be carrying my character over. I want to try something new.

I'm thinking to start out with the default...Male Soldier Shepard, and play maybe Paragon or a mix.

I'm starting with my Fortysomething Vanguard, but I'm cultivating one of each class from ME1 to carry into 2.

TheExodu5 said:

You can change your class (and appearance) when importing your Mass Effect 2 save.

Red

TheExodu5 said:

Carrying over my level 60 Adept and will probably play as an adept again. I'm thinking I might pick Vanguard, but that class seems overused. Plus I relied heavily on singularity on the first game, and ME2 seems to amplify the "movement control" skillset of the Adept way beyond what was featured in ME1-- a HUGE plus for me.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TheExodu5 said:

In ME I had a female Shepard lvl 60 Vangard who sexed up Liara. I think I'll stick with a female Shepard and try and sex up Jacob.

Swag

TheExodu5 said:

Going to start out as a Male Shepherd Vanguard because
I can't sex Miranda as a Female Shepherd

Second play through I'll carry over my Paragon Female Shepherd and go Adept. From there I'll probably do 2 New Game+ or something.

TheExodu5 said:

Female, chaotic renegade as much as possible, pure adept for my first few playthroughs.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Spoiler tag your thoughts if necessary, interested to see if the same things dissapoint you or not.

Really? Hmm will have to search it out now!
The game overall feels like a step back from ME1. Less RPG, more shooter. This can be observed everywhere. Regenerating health, ammo, less areas to pour your squad points into, etc.

Then there are small things like removing those armor and weapon modifiers, and limiting what kinds of ammo you and your squad can use based on your class (though I think it's nice that you can switch ammo types without navigating through a menu). The pacing feels off, probing for minerals and the new travel system feels like filler, the plot isn't very compelling (yet?), not being able to level up until the end of a 'mission'.

I just feel very unimpressed by the whole thing for some reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool op, bro.

I'm so pumped for this. I remember back when the Lord of the Rings films were screening and for the second and third I got really pumped towards the end of the year, so excited to finally see the next novel in film format. It feels like that all over again, only now with something totally new to expect.

Yay!

TheExodu5 said:

First is my first and main character: Jon Shepard, level 60 war hero colonist male paragon infiltrator.

Second is Ceinwyn Shepard, ruthless earthborn female renegade adept.

Third is Jefferson Shepard, vanguard jerk who chooses whatever the angriest option is whatever the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom