• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel |OT| The best.

wingz

Just finished it, and man I had a total blast! Kudos to Bioware for doing such an amazing job. Combat was great, adding new elements as well having a great final fight. The best content though was everything else. The whole new district is just so much fun to explore. I just took my time with this DLC and you could see the love and effort Bioware put in to this. The party was totally brilliant. There were so many good lines from everyone.

Did anyone else take the time to do
the 183 pull-ups and beat Vega's record. LOL, that took forever. Kept on switching button commands from Paragon Pull-ups to Renegade pull-ups lol.

Just finished it, and man I had a total blast! Kudos to Bioware for doing such an amazing job. Combat was great, adding new elements as well having a great final fight. The best content though was everything else. The whole new district is just so much fun to explore. I just took my time with this DLC and you could see the love and effort Bioware put in to this. The party was totally brilliant. There were so many good lines from everyone.

Was I the only one who actually took the time do
the 183 pull-ups and beat Vega's record. LOL, that took forever. Kept on switching button commands from Paragon Pull-ups to Renegade pull-ups lol.

No, you were not.

I spent today enjoying the battle arena. Wonderful addition to the game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Playing this after Thessia...was not a good idea. Liara is unusually cheerful :lol

Also, lol at Garrus joking about missing elevator conversations on the citadel.

- J - D -

Two questions:

1) Can you invite every single crew member individually for a personal meeting in your apartment (not for the party)? I've been able to do this with only EDI, Vega, and Traynor so far and I've finished the post-mission party. I do notice that I can meet some people on the Silversun Strip though. Maybe those meetings take the place of the 1-on-1's in Shep's apartment? Or maybe I have to "activate" them on the Silversun first?"

edit: nvm the first question. Turns out the invites just pop up after time progresses.

2) What difference does it make if I choose not to invite certain people to the party? Is the party dramatically different? There are group conversations that wouldn't work without certain people there. I wonder how many variations exist in the possible conversations.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hahaha sweet DLC. Made me remember how much I loved Zaeed and Grunt, gonna have to fire up ME2 again.

Grunt playing doorman was great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Best times of my life were spent on that ship. Been a damn good ride."
"...the best."

447px-manlytears3v0s1t.jpg

DatDude

Banned
I don't give a shit what anyone say's.

Even with the shitty ending, I still think that ME3 accompanied with all it's DLC was the best "journey" out of all of them.

Trigger

I don't give a shit what anyone say's.

Even with the shitty ending, I still think that ME3 accompanied with all it's DLC was the best "journey" out of all of them.

It really is. Omega and Leviathan were pretty damn fun. Citadel is just amazing. My favorite DLC from the whole series.

But
the thought of it all still ending with Shep's possible death makes me sadder.
(game ending spoilers)

I need Mass Effect 4 now.
r4CiE.png

Xamdou

Not sure if this has been asked already but is there any specific order I should play the DLC? Also I am a bit after the Priority: The Citadel 2 mission.

- J - D -

Not sure if this has been asked already but is there any specific order I should play the DLC? Also I am a bit after the Priority: The Citadel 2 mission.

This particular DLC? You'll want to finish Priority: Horizon prior to playing this dlc to see everyone possible.

Traynor's meeting was phenomenal. I /require/ a gif of her reaction shot to the challenge.

Also, Liara's
piano solo
is absolutely touching. I need to track down a copy of it.

Edit: Found the song! This, for those interested.

Dmax3901

So I haven't bought a single piece of DLC for ME3, despite buying every single one for ME2 like a starving man buys food.

I finally got round to playing the extended cut last month (yes it took that much healing time) and thought, while it doesn't entirely patch the wound, it did a solid job of fixing it.

My point is, I think I'm finally ready to enjoy the singleplayer addons for this game, next time I get money. It's a pleasant surprise to drop into this thread and find that this last bit of DLC is actually really really good. I'm pretty hyped now.

How would y'all rank them, in terms of quality and value for money?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, maybe I got Stockholmed, but watching these videos... I'm almost ready to forget what a mess ME3 turned out to be.

Jintor

I can't believe I just did like 188 pullups
Renegade/Paragon interrupts
just to beat James.

Bailing Grunt out was also amazing. Some seriously funny conversations in this DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I haven't bought a single piece of DLC for ME3, despite buying every single one for ME2 like a starving man buys food.

I finally got round to playing the extended cut last month (yes it took that much healing time) and thought, while it doesn't entirely patch the wound, it did a solid job of fixing it.

My point is, I think I'm finally ready to enjoy the singleplayer addons for this game, next time I get money. It's a pleasant surprise to drop into this thread and find that this last bit of DLC is actually really really good. I'm pretty hyped now.

How would y'all rank them, in terms of quality and value for money?

Not ranks, but thoughts:

Leviathan = Well paced with an interesting narrative hook through a decent variety of locations. Balanced between combat and non-combat sequences. Highly lore essential, dealing with the origin of the Reapers. Should have been in the main game.

From Ashes = Short, set entirely in one location, and reliant on tiresome combat. Deals with a lore essential character. Adds said character to your squadmate roster, and like everyone else has his own dialogue trees and commentary during missions. Excellent character too, who provides essential lore insight as well as plenty of humour. Like Leviathan, should have been in the main game.

Omega = Decent length, good idea, mangled execution. I liked it because I thought it had a good handling on otherwise tiresome combat. Relies more on moving you from encounter to encounter instead of "defend against the waves!", the latter of which was a hallmark of ME3's encounter design. Very combat heavy. Story had potential but is simply trying to handle too much in too shorter period of time. BioWare way overhyped numerous qualities of this that failed to deliver. EG: New squadmate just for these missions, a female Turian. Turns out to be a bit shit and only used on one or two actual missions. Only really worth it if you're a big Mass Effect fan. Adds nothing to the lore, nor develops characters.

Citadel = Okay mission made all the more enjoyable by leniency from BioWare in how serious they handled it. Citadel is almost 100% character focused and loaded with symbolism of what the series represents to fans. It is in spirit an epilogue to Commander Shepard, the Mass Effect trilogy, and the cast of squadmates across three games. In execution heavy fan service, and BioWare doing their best to construct an epilogue for a game that can't have one.

Jooney

So being a big ME fan but not having played the DLC, I decided to bite the bullet and get the lot as I have a long weekend with time to kill.

But boy, does Origin suck. I downloaded and got through From Ashes reasonably quickly. But Leviathan is taking ages to download. At the moment it's going at ~50kbps. That's pathetic. Especially seeing as I was downloading Planetside 2 off Steam at 4.5mbs yesterday.

GlamFM

Banned
Great DLC. Awesome way to end the trilogy.

One Question:

Could Kasumi have been at the party? - seems like she was the only one missing.

Dmax3901

Not ranks, but thoughts:

Leviathan = Well paced with an interesting narrative hook through a decent variety of locations. Balanced between combat and non-combat sequences. Highly lore essential, dealing with the origin of the Reapers. Should have been in the main game.

From Ashes = Short, set entirely in one location, and reliant on tiresome combat. Deals with a lore essential character. Adds said character to your squadmate roster, and like everyone else has his own dialogue trees and commentary during missions. Excellent character too, who provides essential lore insight as well as plenty of humour. Like Leviathan, should have been in the main game.

Omega = Decent length, good idea, mangled execution. I liked it because I thought it had a good handling on otherwise tiresome combat. Relies more on moving you from encounter to encounter instead of "defend against the waves!", the latter of which was a hallmark of ME3's encounter design. Very combat heavy. Story had potential but is simply trying to handle too much in too shorter period of time. BioWare way overhyped numerous qualities of this that failed to deliver. EG: New squadmate just for these missions, a female Turian. Turns out to be a bit shit and only used on one or two actual missions. Only really worth it if you're a big Mass Effect fan. Adds nothing to the lore, nor develops characters.

Citadel = Okay mission made all the more enjoyable by leniency from BioWare in how serious they handled it. Citadel is almost 100% character focused and loaded with symbolism of what the series represents to fans. It is in spirit an epilogue to Commander Shepard, the Mass Effect trilogy, and the cast of squadmates across three games. In execution heavy fan service, and BioWare doing their best to construct an epilogue for a game that can't have one.

Perfect, just what I was after thanks!

Not ranks, but thoughts:

Great info. I just started playing the trilogy set on PS3. Will get the ones you recommend, its not the right thread but any opinions on the first and second games DLCs as well?

NZNova

Great DLC. Awesome way to end the trilogy.

One Question:

Could Kasumi have been at the party? - seems like she was the only one missing.

Yes. If you invite her she's there, with her cloaking device on, occasionally decloaking to make smart-ass comments.

GlamFM

Banned
Shit! I missed that. I invidet everybody, but she wasn´t an option. Maybe It´s because the Hanar sidemission was bugged for me in the main game - I think she was supposed to play a role there.

kurahador

And for continuity sake, play the dlc before Thessia.
Makes more sense for some characters.

Replayed the dlc with Tali as LI.
lmao at
her singing
. So corny.

EatChildren

Great info. I just started playing the trilogy set on PS3. Will get the ones you recommend, its not the right thread but any opinions on the first and second games DLCs as well?

Again, no rankings. Just thoughts.

ME1:

Bring Down the Sky = Loved it. Great pacing, cool hook, and introduces Batarians. Has one of the better moral dilemmas at the end. Takes the Mako planetary exploration concept and structures it into a focused mission. A lot of people, myself included, were hoping BDTS would provide framework for planetary exploration side missions in ME2 and ME3. Alas, waht could have been.

Pinnacle Station = An arena, and not a very good one. Rubbish.

ME2:

Kasumi - Stolen Memory = Nicely paced, interesting mission, but very, very short. Kasumi has no recruit mission, only the loyalty mission. She's also an available squadmate. She, like Zaeed, has no dialogue trees on the Normandy, only contextual conversation that talks at you. Still, she's fully voiced for main missions into the game, and is an interesting enough character. Like ME3's From Ashes, only really worth it if you want to expand your crew and go on another cool, if short mission.

Overlord = Kind of like BDTS: a series of missions that has you driving the new Hammerhead tank around a semi-open planet. Great pacing, good environment diversity, solid story hook, and arguably the longest of ME2's mission packs. The Hammerhead isn't quite as fun to drive as the Mako (in my opinion), but it was nice to see BioWare try the BDTS formula again.

Lair of the Shadow Broker = For many the best of all Mass Effect's mission DLC. Focuses on Liara and her quest to take down the Shadow Broker. Excellent location variety and a fast pacing spearheaded by a cool plot hook. Fun encounter design thanks to visually pleasing set pieces. Two boss fights, and a great climax. Lots of interaction with Liara, making it essential for anybody who likes her character or wants to continue a romance established in the first game. A little bit of post-mission content, mostly in the form of interesting readable data on your squadmates and other series characters. Really, in it's total, LOTSB is a good blend of solid game design and fan service. Balances the two better than any mission pack.

Arrival = Lukewarm encounters across fairly boring locations (though a very cool final set piece). Was supposed to tie ME2 into ME3, but really personifies the worst writing qualities of BioWare and how they handled the trilogy. Doesn't really explain anything and has a stupid dumb narrative hook. When I replayed it prior to ME3's launch I found myself enjoy the play more than my first time through. But the narrative is total half arsed shit and full of stupid.

Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed - The Price of Revenge, and Firewalker Pack should be free if you have access to the Cerberus Network. Of those three, Normandy Crash Site is not really a "mission" but a walking simulation. Unoffensive fan service pulp, best free. Firewalker was a test bed for the Hammerhead's use in Overlord, and is poo. Zaeed is a cool character, but like Kasumi only has one (pretty solid) loyalty mission and no interactive conversation branches.

- J - D -

And for continuity sake, play the dlc before Thessia.
Makes more sense for some characters.

Replayed the dlc with Tali as LI.
lmao at
her singing
. So corny.

You can't invite Miranda to the party unless you finish Horizon, which is post-Thessia.

- J - D -

Oh man...really? I keep thinking Thessia is the final mission before the assault.

I'm pretty sure. I couldn't invite her until I finished Horizon. I am fairly considerate of continuity and consistency of tone during my playthroughs, so it bothered me that I couldn't get Miranda to come to the party until after the Thessia mission (a crushing event the likes of which I feel makes any celebration at any time afterward a jarring proposition). Fortunately, I still had to get Jacob and Samara, so I felt it was enough padding time for one particular team mate to get over it, which I know sounds baffling.

They really should've just allowed you to invite Miranda after you first encounter her in the citadel docks.

EatChildren

Citadel doesn't really fit anywhere in the canon because there's no way they'd have shore leave and a goddamn party during a galactic genocide. But yes, if it had to fit somewhere it would be before Priority: Thessia.

But I think it's pretty consciously written disconnected from the Mass Effect 3 narrative. It really embodies everything an epilogue and sendoff would. And for that reason I think it should be played either right before Priority: Cerberus Headquarters (aka, point of no return), or have that save point loaded up after finishing the game proper and going through the motions then. It won't make sense, but it's pretty clearly written and structured to be the last people experience of Commander Shepard and co.

Finished the party. Good times. Goooooooooooood times. That's the sendoff Mass Effect deserved.

If you haven't finished a romance arc, do that. Then it's all over.

Bombless

I started the dlc just before assaulting the Cerberus HQ (best time to do it imo). I didn't get to invite Kasumi for some reason. As far as I remember I did her mission and all. Weird.

Again, no rankings. Just thoughts.

ME1:

Bring Down the Sky = Loved it. Great pacing, cool hook, and introduces Batarians. Has one of the better moral dilemmas at the end. Takes the Mako planetary exploration concept and structures it into a focused mission. A lot of people, myself included, were hoping BDTS would provide framework for planetary exploration side missions in ME2 and ME3. Alas, waht could have been.

Pinnacle Station = An arena, and not a very good one. Rubbish.

ME2:

Kasumi - Stolen Memory = Nicely paced, interesting mission, but very, very short. Kasumi has no recruit mission, only the loyalty mission. She's also an available squadmate. She, like Zaeed, has no dialogue trees on the Normandy, only contextual conversation that talks at you. Still, she's fully voiced for main missions into the game, and is an interesting enough character. Like ME3's From Ashes, only really worth it if you want to expand your crew and go on another cool, if short mission.

Overlord = Kind of like BDTS: a series of missions that has you driving the new Hammerhead tank around a semi-open planet. Great pacing, good environment diversity, solid story hook, and arguably the longest of ME2's mission packs. The Hammerhead isn't quite as fun to drive as the Mako (in my opinion), but it was nice to see BioWare try the BDTS formula again.

Lair of the Shadow Broker = For many the best of all Mass Effect's mission DLC. Focuses on Liara and her quest to take down the Shadow Broker. Excellent location variety and a fast pacing spearheaded by a cool plot hook. Fun encounter design thanks to visually pleasing set pieces. Two boss fights, and a great climax. Lots of interaction with Liara, making it essential for anybody who likes her character or wants to continue a romance established in the first game. A little bit of post-mission content, mostly in the form of interesting readable data on your squadmates and other series characters. Really, in it's total, LOTSB is a good blend of solid game design and fan service. Balances the two better than any mission pack.

Arrival = Lukewarm encounters across fairly boring locations (though a very cool final set piece). Was supposed to tie ME2 into ME3, but really personifies the worst writing qualities of BioWare and how they handled the trilogy. Doesn't really explain anything and has a stupid dumb narrative hook. When I replayed it prior to ME3's launch I found myself enjoy the play more than my first time through. But the narrative is total half arsed shit and full of stupid.

Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed - The Price of Revenge, and Firewalker Pack should be free if you have access to the Cerberus Network. Of those three, Normandy Crash Site is not really a "mission" but a walking simulation. Unoffensive fan service pulp, best free. Firewalker was a test bed for the Hammerhead's use in Overlord, and is poo. Zaeed is a cool character, but like Kasumi only has one (pretty solid) loyalty mission and no interactive conversation branches.

Thank you very much. I played the Overlord and the Lair of the Shadow Broker when Mass Effect 2 first released. I was really curious about Arrival though it seems to be the worst of the ME2 DLCS according to you as well. This all late release of PS3 versions mixed things up. I think on PS3 OVerloard and Lair of the Shadow broker is free as well as Kasumi's lost memory. Not sure about other ones though. Will replay all ME series from the first one to 3. And Citadel DLC is the main reason i think after ME3 left a sour taste in my mouth. (not because of the ending but because of the lesser RPG elements and more action oriented play in the game). Again thank you for your comments on those DLCs.

kurahador

I started the dlc just before assaulting the Cerberus HQ (best time to do it imo). I didn't get to invite Kasumi for some reason. As far as I remember I did her mission and all. Weird.

You need to go to the casino, and interact with the suspicious device.
I think?

Jintor

DLC doesn't add anything does it? I mean, I finished the romance arc back in 2012 or whatever.

Did Tali and Wrex have 'hang-out' things either through calls or running into them down on Silversun? I couldn't trigger them if they did :T

EatChildren

DLC doesn't add anything does it? I mean, I finished the romance arc back in 2012 or whatever.

Did Tali and Wrex have 'hang-out' things either through calls or running into them down on Silversun? I couldn't trigger them if they did :T

You can have one final romance sequence, added in via the DLC. I think you invite them via the intercom. For example, Liara
plays Vigil on piano for Shepard
, and Garrus
goes tango dancing
. It ends with:

I had one final goodbye with Miranda at the Dock. Is that it?

This. Yep. And that's it: trilogy over.

EDIT: Oh, it triggers after the party. That's right. Never mind.

Jintor

God, I actually kind of want to do the whole thing again with different party members just for their reactions from the Heist onwards.

Damn these characters are so great.

- J - D -

Citadel doesn't really fit anywhere in the canon because there's no way they'd have shore leave and a goddamn party during a galactic genocide. But yes, if it had to fit somewhere it would be before Priority: Thessia.

But I think it's pretty consciously written disconnected from the Mass Effect 3 narrative. It really embodies everything an epilogue and sendoff would. And for that reason I think it should be played either right before Priority: Cerberus Headquarters (aka, point of no return), or have that save point loaded up after finishing the game proper and going through the motions then. It won't make sense, but it's pretty clearly written and structured to be the last people experience of Commander Shepard and co.

Yeah there's no way to reconcile this DLC's placement anywhere in the narrative so it's not worth trying. For many people who are just loading up a save, it's not a big deal, but for those who are playing ME3 for the first time or doing another playthrough, it's difficult to ignore.

I do wish they tried harder to justify the party though. I understand that this is supposed to be the send off for the series, and that's reflected in the playful tone at times, but it still exists within the timeline of Me3 because they make direct references to certain events in the game during the dlc. A couple more lines emphasizing the need for the Nirmandy's repairs would have went a long way.

Jintor

They should have gone whole hog and had the whole thing be a stupid cliche flashback just before the final final ending of ME3.

...naaaaaaaaaaah.

I have to wonder how the differing tone options change the party dialogue, lol

Jintor

Watching stuff on the Youtubes and Garrus' romance scene is amazing

Seriously though, having a different Shepard is weirdddddddddddddd.

- J - D -

I think Traynor had the lion's share of hilarious visual/dialogue gags in this DLC. The toothbrush? The arcade tournament (especially if you do a renegade reply during it)? The convo with Edi? The jacuzzi? So good. And she wasn't even in the main chunk of the DLC.

So I've downloaded the game from PS+ and I've been playing for 2-3 hours at this moment. I've been wondering if the dialogue is to keep being this cringeworthy untill the end of the game ?

The part with that little boy completely missed for me and didn't succeed in waking some feelings of sadness or what the hell they were thinking it would wake in the player. And that dream-segment that they implemented for no apparent reason was a waste of time IMO. I also think that the voice acting isn't as top notch as I would have expected from an "AAA+" game like this.

Am I wrong and do I just have bad taste or is there something to my criticism?

EDIT: Whooops, wrong thread!

Jintor

I think you're in the wrong thread. This is the OT for the new Citadel DLC, you want the general ME thread in Community.

Bittercup

The PS3 Trilogy has most of the DLCs already included for ME1 and 2.
ME1 is missing Pinnacle Station but that isn't available for PS3 at all while Bring Down the Sky is already part of the main game.
ME2 has all the story DLCs except Arrival. Arrival is ok, not very important and relatively short but connects the story between ME2 and 3.

Top Bottom