• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Citadel |OT| The best.

- J - D -

Nothing can compare to the feeling of sheer awe I felt when I first landed on the Citadel in the original Mass Effect, but with the introduction of Silversun Strip, I think ME3's Citadel locations as a whole overtake those of ME1 and 2.

I really like the shiny, neon-covered strip and have always wanted a location like it since I first saw this piece of concept art for Mass Effect 2:

YOuMKP8.jpg

Silversun strip is pretty much that.

Trigger

Man, no achievement for
beating James's record? Fuckin Bioware.

It's a shame they didn't make all your team mates simulations as well, that way they could have resurrected characters for it and pulled in some other of the temporary team mates like Aria, Anderson etc.

I would have loved that.

DTKT

See I don't agree with that either.

Good music can always push a game farther, especially when it's a cinematic game like Mass Effect. An there was some DAMN good music that I still listen today (An end once and for all, I was lost without, I'm Sorry, I'm Proud of You)..tracks, nearly 1 year after I still consistently listen to, and honestly, enhance certain parts of the games because of those beautiful and dramatic melodies.

An while the locations themselves might be forgettable in a sense, I still think the missions themselves and the general events were quite well paced and memorable. I mean, every mission had some sort of hook and emotional Sinker. Mordins death..and this also correlates with music mind you, and the song Vigil playing as the tower explodes and the ash fall upon the ground...what about Legion's sacrifice, or Tali's suicide?

I mean, this might sound silly but to me Mass Effect 3 was this beautiful, memorable journey full of emotional highs and lows. An for that I applaud it, and will still think highly of regardless of it's shit ending.

Many people want to shit on Mass Effect 3 and say it's the worst in the series, and EA is fucking Bioware in the ass, and all this nonsense. An, I honestly don't understand why. Mass Effect 3 was a DAMN good game. If the Citadel DLC was THE ENDING, instead of the bullshit that we got than I have no doubt it would've won quite a few GOTY awards...

But I'm able to look past that, and forgive Bioware for there fuck up, and enjoy Mass Effect 3 for what it is...a beautiful, and emotional journey with the best squad mates one could possibly have.

I might have come across as overly negative, that was not my intention. What I meant to say is that the game cannot be reduced to bullet points, it's always a sum of it's parts( I consider the SP and the MP to be separate entities here). Music has a big role to play, but it cannot fix what is inherently broken. For example, "Lost without You" is so effective because the actual in-game scene is amazing. At the same time, while the track "An end once and for all" is great, the ending still makes no sense.

Anyway, I still consider ME3 to have the best but also the worst moments in all the series. A roller coaster of uneven quality. I can't play Citadel since I lost my ME3 save when I uninstalled it from Origin. Doesn't seem like it had cloud saves at the time.

Zen

Banned
It's amazing that people still hold the ending against the game.

Think of all the positives with this game:

- amazing multiplayer
- multiplayer supported for free - including a huge number of maps/weapons/factions/playable characters from the SP.
- fantastic music and locations in both single/multi
- great DLC support
- best combat in an RPG to this date - biotic explosions/fire explosions/cryo explosions/tech bursts.

then all that goes down because of the ending which wasnt even bad at all.

I cant think of an RPG with this much support and i cant wait for the next game in the series.

Everything you just listed is in some way tied to multiplayer except 'amazing locations', it's amazing that you don't still hold the ending against the game considering it's the narrative that kept people coming back and invested.

pmj

I'm glad I decided to pick up Citadel instead of watching it on youtube, as I did with the other DLC. I grabbed the extended ending while I was at it, but after doing the party, I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I think for me, this time, ME3 ends here.

I spent a pretty silly amount of time in the arena though, even though the missions and rewards ran dry too soon. They could have easily have made it last a lot longer with more missions and more rewards, and I would have kept playing it.

X-Frame

I think I might take a little break from the MP to play the Armax Arena .. it seems very fun and a great addition to an already great DLC. I only played 2 games so far.

Lakitu

st5fu
I have to say I'm really enjoying my second playthrough of ME 3 including all the DLC. I haven't reached the end but it feels so much better the second time around now that I've accepted some of it's faults. It's a brilliant game.

Trigger

Finally got the arena achievement. I hope Mass Effect: Next fleshes out the concept more because it was a real pleasure.

Got the DLC. Saw the ss of the Silversun Strip. God, thats what i always dreamed of. I just love colourful neons, shops and that a bit of noir feeling. Im so excited to play this but its still downloading and i lost my all saves as my PS3s HDD went to the HDD heaven. I don't know what to do. I started playing ME trilogy and cant decide. Should i play the 3 straight? Or should i keep playing the first one to carry one save through the whole Trilogy? Yet i want to play this so much. Looks like pure fan service.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm pumped for ME: Next, but I have so many reservations. Mostly I just hope EA gives it enough time to cook. ME2 and ME3 both seemed like they underwent very major changes without enough time to account for them.

Mass Effect 2 as well?
I never got that feeling. That you can't get Tali and some others prior to Horizon is due to the game being split on two discs for 360, but ultimately it doesn't affect the game that much.
OK, some things were cut from the final game, like leaving Legion to the Derelict Reaper. Again, not big change, with very little effect on the retail. Who would've left him there anyway?

Also, not sure ME3 did this either, more like the writing and design groups fucked everything up.

kurahador

Also, not sure ME3 did this either, more like the writing and design groups fucked everything up.

Only the ending part that ruins it for me. Gameplay wise, it was good enough.
I was more disappointed going from ME1>ME2 than ME2>ME3 did.

Man...I wish there are more sci-fi space opera games being made next gen.
Gonna do more playthrough of ME3 now thanks to this dlc.

Woorloog

Banned
Only the ending part that ruins it for me. Gameplay wise, it was good enough.
I was more disappointed going from ME1>ME2 than ME2>ME3 did.

Man...I wish there are more sci-fi space opera games being made next gen.
Gonna do more playthrough of ME3 now thanks to this dlc.

The story starts sucking halfway into game, not just the goddamn ending. Also some very questionable gameplay choices, like the frigging Destroyer-class Reapers.

BTW, ME1-to-ME2 was logical change, gameplay-wise. Especially since ME1 was already moving towards third-person shooter with RPG elements.
Remember that old trailer for ME1 where all characters are controllable and the game is basically tactical pause-to-command and play? And then compare that to the final game.
Logical change, change for better, IMO. And ME3 polished that well, though some idiotic things were left in: Why the fuck is everything bound to A? A-a-a-a-a-Awesome?

EDIT yes, we need more proper space opera. Bungie's Destiny is one... but will there be any others? Especially on PS4, i'm most likely avoiding NextBox.

Tritroid

Went back and downloaded Leviathan since I hadn't played that one either. Omega will be next.

Obviously wasn't as great as Citadel, but still not bad. Lots of answers.
Harbinger being the 'first' Reaper, and actually being from the Leviathan race, was a big eye-opener.

I felt like this DLC really supports the indoctrination theory for the overall ending even more. It solidifies the fact that Reaper 'harvesting' was not meant for each cycle as they claim, or that was to preserve life from eventual synthetic destruction. The Reapers allowing for a 'synthesis' or 'control' option doesn't even make sense to me now. Total mind-game. I don't need a 3-hour documentary vid to see that either. ;)

Definitely agree with EMC though, Leviathan should have been in the actual game. The story elements are too important to the overall arc.

Finally finished the story part of this DLC this weekend (along with Omega).
Clone Shepard
as a villain would have been terrible had they played it straight, but the fact that it was presented more tongue-in-cheek made this all the more enjoyable. I haven't gotten to the party/hub yet, but it's already well worth it. Rolled with Garrus and Wrex just like old time sakes and loved the banter with all your crew members.

The supporting cast really is one of the best parts of Mass Effect.

Stasis

Just started Citadel after going through Omega and Leviathan. It's awesome already, and I'm so psyched reading through these comments.

I never did the extended ending either, but I think I may also just end it after this rather than go through the illusive man's base again.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Just started Citadel after going through Omega and Leviathan. It's awesome already, and I'm so psyched reading through these comments.

I never did the extended ending either, but I think I may also just end it after this rather than go through the illusive man's base again.

Thats what I ended up doing. I hadn't tried the extended ending yet so after I finished the DLC I went ahead and mopped up the rest. It was a lot of fun cause the DLC did a great job of getting me all fired up and nostalgic.

Replicant

My favorite parts of the DLC (spoilers obviously). My Shepard is a Paragon Male, all of my crew survived except the obvious ones (Ashley, Thane, Mordin, and Legion):

* Joker whining about how the Savior of Citadel just used a disabled man as a bait at the Sushi restaurant.
* Wrex telling Shepard that he thought the whole "I should go" is some kind of human custom.
* Shepard somewhat offended and disturbed when his "I should go" line is criticized, not even caring about the fact that they're trapped inside a vault.
* Traynor gaming battle against an Asari. Shepard's "Traynor? Kick her ass!".
* Miranda is horrified when she saw her fave Sushi place is destroyed and immediately went "Sheppaaaaaard?!!!"
* The boys (Wrex, Javik, Steve, Garrus) pressuring poor Joker that he needs to take a shooting lesson.
* Shepard? Wrex? Shepard? Grunt? and so on and so forth scene (only via quiet party path)
* The 4 Biotics (Liara, Kaidan, Miranda, and Jacob) face-palming when they have to face Vega's bro-tastic attitude about his muscle superiority (loud party path).
* Grunt turning down other uninvited visitors and Shepard being Paragon tries to be nice until he's confronted with a screaming woman then promptly agrees that Grunt should handle the guest reception. (loud party path)
* Vega's jersey shore dance.
* Shepard commenting to Miranda and Jack (if you don't date either of them) that maybe they should go ahead and resolve their 'sexual tension'. (loud party path)
* Wrex and Grunt butting heads, literally. (loud party path)
* Jack admitting that Miranda has great tits.
* Tali's "Shepard is a hero, we can accept a few eccentricities (aka his inability to dance)"
* Jack commenting about how few things haven't changed (again, Shepard's inability to dance).
* Garrus commenting maybe they should tape Shepard dancing and put it on the extranet so the Reapers can fall in love with it.
* Joker having a hard and almost non-stop laugh at the suggestion that Shepard can dance. EDI face-palming at his pathetic laugh.
* Joker is offended when his dancing ability is compared to Shepard, thinking it's low-brow.
* Tali (quiet party), Grunt (loud party), and Javik (any party) spread on the floor of the bathroom vomiting due too much drinking. Tali admits to having a tattoo.
* Tali making comments about cheese to change the conversation subject between EDI and Traynor (they're having awkward sex talks).
* Javik, Wrex, and Zaeed playing tactical shooter instead of dancing (only via loud party path).
* Zaeed and Garrus making traps involving bath tub and glass panel (only via quiet party path).
* Kasumi making smart-ass comments about Jacob and Vega's muscles.
* EDI telling Shepard that last night some neighbor complained about the loud music. She put the body in the building's incinerator.
* The group photo *sobs*

Arjen

Finished it last night, well everything but the Arena.
Great DLC, i was playing with a huge grin on my face the entire time.

JackDT

If you've already completely finished the DLC check out the different things that can happen on youtube. This DLC is probably the most dense content they've ever produced.

Vashetti

Banned
If you've already completely finished the DLC check out the different things that can happen on youtube. This DLC is probably the most dense content they've ever produced.

That's the one thing that annoys me, I'll never be able to see everything!

At least it encourages multiple playthroughs.

It's killing me waiting for Leviathan, Omega and now this to go on sale. :(

Ixion

Goddamn I haven't even played the DLC and this + the OST stuff you linked to makes me want to forgive Bioware for this not being the ending. I can't even hold all these feels.

Artistically, I actually really like the ending we got (the Extended Cut). I only have an issue with the gameplay aspects,
with the ending being bittersweet no matter what you do and most of your war assets not being shown in the final battle.

But I agree that an epilogue like this would have made sense
as a reward for one of the ending choices

prag16

Banned
I'm pumped for ME: Next, but I have so many reservations. Mostly I just hope EA gives it enough time to cook. ME2 and ME3 both seemed like they underwent very major changes without enough time to account for them.

This is my thinking as well. Definitely super pumped for the next game. But I hope they can do the series justice. I'm assuming it's still going to be an action/RPG/TPS hybrid. It'd be a shame if they switched genres.

As for the look of the game, what are other Frostbite 4 games? Battlefield 3?

Definitely hoping this gets enough time in the oven, and that it's NOT a prequel. I mean.. first contact war? Eh... Meh.

Day 1 buy I think no matter what though.

Ixion

Definitely hoping this gets enough time in the oven, and that it's NOT a prequel. I mean.. first contact war? Eh... Meh.

Yannick Roy said the next game will have 'diverse alien races' and a 'huge galaxy to explore'.

So there's no way the next game will take place during the First Contact War.

We should also keep in mind that the first three games all took place in one specific galaxy. For the next trilogy, they could simply set the game in another galaxy, which would allow Montreal a lot of creative freedom, while still being able to tie in the existing lore a bit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yannick Roy said the next game will have 'diverse alien races' and a 'huge galaxy to explore'.

We should also keep in mind that the first three games all took place in one specific galaxy. For the next trilogy, they could simply set the game in another galaxy, which would allow Montreal a lot of creative freedom, while still being able to tie in the existing lore a bit.

If they go with another galaxy, there wont be any of the existing ME races there, and I seriously doubt they are willing to do that, they might as well not call it Mass Effect if that's the case.

unknownhero said:
all of this plus
grunt's c-sec scene

And the Volus Pizza Delivery guy.
Shepard :"Everyone grab your gear an-"
*confused look*
"What's with the Volus?"

James : "Ah. Pizza delivery guy. I got the munchies."

Volus : "Double Pepperoni."

And then in the middle of combat later, Glyph comes out of nowhere and tell James
"I've got the pizza delivery guy on the line, he's asking for payment."

pmj

If they go with another galaxy, there wont be any of the existing ME races there, and I seriously doubt they are willing to do that, they might as well not call it Mass Effect if that's the case.

The game is likely to have a human main character, and if humans can discover how to travel to a different galaxy, so can the rest of the races. That way they could easily bring over as much of the old and familiar as they want, while retaining the perks of an all new setting and go nuts with new races, history, locations, and threats.

Anyone have trouble with freezing on 360? I played the entire DLC just fine but my wife (same 360, different profile) had it freeze during the party twice now, and when inviting individual ppl to the apt, sometimes the wrong person comes up (invite kolyat, goes into samara scene)

prag16

Banned

Good point. If we feel safe assuming it'll involve humans AND "diverse alien races", then First Contact War is probably out barring serious retconning.

Makes any type of prequel relatively unlikely I'd say, unless it's something pretty shortly before the original trilogy.

Dave_6

Damn the
mirror matches
in the arena are tough as shit. I'm not sure if I'll ever beat one of those...

pmj

Damn the
mirror matches

I had so much trouble with that one, and I wasn't even playing on insanity, only hardcore. Choosing one of the bigger maps where you can keep them at a distance helps, as does killing the vanguard first, or else he's likely to randomly appear behind you, at which point you're screwed.

For some reason, my team basically never went down during mirror matches, so I would order them to stand where they spawn, or try to block off chokepoints, which would take at least a little bit of fire off me. And bring Jack with you. She's great.

Plasma

Banned
Damn the
mirror matches

The grenade spam always got me, took me ages to do it but it didn't help that I took Liara with me who insisted on using singularity all the time despite them always having shields of armour.

Dave_6

I had so much trouble with that one, and I wasn't even playing on insanity, only hardcore. Choosing one of the bigger maps where you can keep them at a distance helps, as does killing the vanguard first, or else he's likely to randomly appear behind you, at which point you're screwed.

For some reason, my team basically never went down during mirror matches, so I would order them to stand where they spawn, or try to block off chokepoints, which would take at least a little bit of fire off me. And bring Jack with you. She's great.

Bad thing is I'm playing on Normal and always bring Grunt and Jack with me :/ I'm going to give it another try tonight and order them to stand by the spawn points and see how that goes. I like a challenge but damn...

Replicant

Anyone have trouble with freezing on 360? I played the entire DLC just fine but my wife (same 360, different profile) had it freeze during the party twice now, and when inviting individual ppl to the apt, sometimes the wrong person comes up (invite kolyat, goes into samara scene)

Not exactly 360 but my PS3 froze once while loading Kolyat's scene. Thankfully it never happened again. But I felt that the game was pretty slow in terms of loading. Rushed job, I guess.

My recommendation is to read one email invitation at a time and respond to each invitation right away after you read the email. Otherwise the game seems confused as to which person you want to invite.

Loved the hell out of the DLC, still have to try to take down the Mirror match :( That last Shepard line makes me all mopey every single time I hear it (I've been looking a lot of Youtube vids on alternative romances).

Does anyone know what the Tali scene is like if you aren't romancing her? Does she still
sing in the most cringe-worthy way possible? Seriously, I was in tears at that point for all the wrong reasons... Thankfully I got a touching moment at the docks

kurahador

Does anyone know what the Tali scene is like if you aren't romancing her? Does she still
sing in the most cringe-worthy way possible? Seriously, I was in tears at that point for all the wrong reasons... Thankfully I got a touching moment at the docks

Nope, she didn't.

CyReN

2 times now, I read the email then I go to the galaxy screen to start the dlc and it just goes to black screen. What the hell is going on..

iLLmAtlc

The soundtrack has been made available for download free of charge :-

http://social.bioware.com/me3citadelsoundtrack.php

You may need a BSN account to access it (there is always a catch) and for some bizarre reason Bioware continue to use WAV files instead of MP3 or flac.

Thanks a lot for this! And awesome of Bioware to release it.

Man I can't help but feel... feelings listening to 20 Farewell and Into the Inevitable.

10 The End is good too but I don't quite remember where in the DLC it happened?

10 The End is good too but I don't quite remember where in the DLC it happened?

The track plays in the DLC at the part where
The evil clone has been defeated and Shepard is leaving the Normandy with his/her companions and Shepard is talking about continuing the shore leave but with a few less explosions
. I have to confess it is one of my favourite scenes in the DLC.

Top Bottom