• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online Official Thread -- NeoGAF clan now up!

Imm0rt4l

Bookey said:
oh noes maintenance
Last time that their was a maintenance it was to add the Sneaking mode. I bet the maintenance right now is for special characters ala Ocelot, reiko, Raikov, and Sokelov of MGS3. In the mgs4 manual it says that their will be guest characters making an appearence int he future, and you can see the silhouettes of Meryl, Raiden and some others.

dagZ

Gamer @ Heart said:
So whats the word on Gaf clan part 2? I feel alone in a new and strannge world. Also, i cant get my headset to work. Its connected, it can use it in single player but havent a clue how to use it online. Any tips?

hold select til it turns voice chat on?

I finally got online last night (after the write-off that is the Konami ID process) and I gotta say, are all the servers that laggy?

Probably the worst I've ever experienced in an online game.Or should I be trying to find Aussies? The whole interface is far from intutive.

Or is there something else I'm missing?

If it wasn't lagging, I can see it being a shitload of fun, but as it is, it's prety fucking bad. It's basically unplayable.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Oh wow, if you go to the MGO NA community page. Then click on NeoGAF > Clan Member Records and scroll down there's a drop down list of individual clan member awards. Me and my 130 salutes ftw. Nice, I also have most falling deaths.

Shouta

Nozdeuce said:
Nice, that's truly heroic. Got any good advice for shotgunning? I could really use some, I'm horrible at it.

Well, it's obviously a close-range weapon so you need to practice efficiently closing in on an opponent. If you have the chance, use cover as you approach and try to fake your opponent out with the direction you're going to go. The other way is to try and approach from a blindside. Most folks have their camera facing forward only so even just approaching from the side will allow you to get the jump on them.

Once you get in close, use auto-aim. Close-range firing is really difficult in the game and I don't know why folks don't use Auto-Aim for it, it was built specifically for that. Anyway, as soon as you get close enough for a lock-on, fire and keep circling them as you fire. The auto-aim will keep you locked on and pressing sideways will just circle ya. You'll need to compensate in cases where they roll away so rotate the camera in the direction they're going and retap L1 to face that way. You should be able to kill someone in 2-3 shots if they don't get one of the crappy headshots that are far too abundant. You also get stun (or knockdowns with Slugs, as I recall) so that can help quite a bit.

Also, Slugs work as a long-range bullet if need be.

Nozdeuce

Shouta said:
Well, it's obviously a close-range weapon so you need to practice efficiently closing in on an opponent. If you have the chance, use cover as you approach and try to fake your opponent out with the direction you're going to go. The other way is to try and approach from a blindside. Most folks have their camera facing forward only so even just approaching from the side will allow you to get the jump on them.

Once you get in close, use auto-aim. Close-range firing is really difficult in the game and I don't know why folks don't use Auto-Aim for it, it was built specifically for that. Anyway, as soon as you get close enough for a lock-on, fire and keep circling them as you fire. The auto-aim will keep you locked on and pressing sideways will just circle ya. You'll need to compensate in cases where they roll away so rotate the camera in the direction they're going and retap L1 to face that way. You should be able to kill someone in 2-3 shots if they don't get one of the crappy headshots that are far too abundant. You also get stun (or knockdowns with Slugs, as I recall) so that can help quite a bit.

Sweet thanks, when the server goes back up I'll have to give all that a try. I never thought of using auto-aim while circle strafing but it sounds good for everything.

Zyzyxxz said:
can I still use the same login for MGO Beta from before?
Yes, but you have to create a new character.

Darkpen

Banned
Shouta said:

I'd also like to note that this strategy works even better with the pistol, especially when you've run out of ammo on your main gun, and reloading takes far too long.

Nozdeuce:
You should set up a clan night or something. Also, you should kick some of the people who joined the clan but never play, so we can get our ranking up(even though ranks don't seem to be working right now).​

Darkpen

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Nozdeuce:
You should set up a clan night or something. Also, you should kick some of the people who joined the clan but never play, so we can get our ranking up(even though ranks don't seem to be working right now).​
last I recall, the rankings were a weekly update sort of deal.

Nozdeuce

akachan ningen said:
Nozdeuce:
Yeah, that's a really good idea. I'd like to give it maybe until this weekend to let people finish off with single player before trying to organize people. Clan stats from from the MGO community support page seems to work, we're 6th.

Shouta said:
Get a server up after maint is done and I can show ya what I mean with the Shotty, har.
Sure, Endwar beta can wait :lol

Nozdeuce

Ephemeris said:
I'm down to play a game or two when it's back up
I'd be willing to host us, given I get a few minutes to figure out hosting options. On that note, we really need to start making our rooms on servers other than Otacon.

Nozdeuce

Pai Pai Master said:
Nice. :) We should do GAF Classic vs. GAF FOX Unit soon.

But agh! Why aren't the servers back up? :O
I've been poking around online looking for info on the animal titles, and apparently it's 2 hour maintenance today.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
who the fuck schedules maintenance @ 8PM-10PM EST on a Monday? :lol (it's passed, let me play) :D

Nozdeuce

alr1ghtstart said:
who the fuck schedules maintenance @ 8PM-10PM EST on a Monday? :lol (it's passed, let me play) :D
Someone on the west coast who doesn't want to work too late?

Edit: MGO up

Nooreo

Maintenance

NooooOOOooo.gif

danm it just when i was looking forward to playing MGO :|. I guess ill have to wait :(

Ephemeris

:/ Darn.

Who else here meets the requirement? Hey Noz; can you assign rights to someone else, leave the clan - make FOX - and return to the official clan? o_O

Nozdeuce

Ephemeris said:

Who else here meets the requirement? Hey Noz; can you assign rights to someone else, leave the clan - make FOX - and return to the official clan? o_O
Makes sense to me. You just want to be leader again don't you?

edit: Get on MGO, I'm willing to try it, but I'm gonna have you do the bitch work of guarding the shop.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ephemeris said:

It probably won't let him reassign rights to someone without 20hrs clocked in...

Ephemeris

Nozdeuce said:
Makes sense to me. You just want to be leader again don't you?

I don't mind :p Shagg was FOX so it's all good to me. Then again [story spoilers]
Big Boss left the Unit
and came back, so why can't I? :lol

Nozdeuce

Ephemeris said:
I don't mind :p Shagg was FOX so it's all good to me. Then again [story spoilers]
Big Boss left the Unit
and came back, so why can't I? :lol
We're gonna need a 3rd person for this, someone I can hand over NeoGAF rights to. Someone who'll presumably return them :lol

Teknoman

Alright, just got back, charging my bluetooth (snagged a plantronics explorer 222 model) and hoping it works nicely (returned my MGS4 one and bought it with the cash back). Should be on after maintenance I guess.

dork

Banned
Teknoman said:
Alright, just got back, charging my bluetooth (snagged a plantronics explorer 222 model) and hoping it works nicely (returned my MGS4 one and bought it with the cash back). Should be on after maintenance I guess.

Maint's done

im throwing a server up now

Nozdeuce said:
We're gonna need a 3rd person for this, someone I can hand over NeoGAF rights to. Someone who'll presumably return them :lol

give it to me or tekno, since we are on

Nozdeuce

Teknoman said:
Tekno, we need to borrow you for a minute. I'm gonna assign you NeoGAF rights and try to make us a new clan.

Edit: NeoGAF:FoxUnit? NeoGAF:Fox Unit?

Sallokin

Nozdeuce said:
Tekno, we need to borrow you for a minute. I'm gonna assign you NeoGAF rights and try to make us a new clan.

Edit: NeoGAF:FoxUnit? NeoGAF:Fox Unit?

Wasn't it FoxUnit in the beta due to character limits? If you can squeeze in the space between fox and unit that would what I would vote for.

Top Bottom