• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

EagleEyes

JaxJag said:
I haven't been reading every page of the thread, so maybe it has been posted. But has anyone seen the Destructoid Metro 2033 not-review?
I will make sure never to trust that reviewer about anything. I'm on my second playthrough and that has never happened to me at any point. I honestly think they will let anybody review videogames these days. Even somebody who can't connect on four point blank shots. lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
EagleEyes said:
I will make sure never to trust that reviewer about anything. I'm on my second playthrough and that has never happened to me at any point. I honestly think they will let anybody review videogames these days. Even somebody who can't connect on four point blank shots. lol

Well hey, he had the decency to admit it wasn't a review and that he doesn't get it. I'd trust him a lot more for that than someone like Tom Chick.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I have yet to buy the game but I just wanna say that I love it when devs and community reps join the discussion on forums that arent the games official one. Great initiative from their part.

<3 Bi5on<3

Pre-ordered and bought this last week and it's been sitting on my shelf at uni. I got home last night and played it for a few hours, taking in everything I can. It's absolutely fabulous! It quite literally felt like I'd gone into a tunnel for a few hours...

I've just reached chapter 4 and I can't understand why people are knocking the gunplay. The only thing I'm having the occasional problem with is the gas mask - I keep accidentally taking it off outside :lol. It's never truly frustrating though, just creates some 'oh shi-' moments.
But anyway, having to think about where you're hitting a guard brings an extra dimension to the fight, it probably even makes it last longer. (this is on hardcore btw, I'd argue that it's the only way play post-apocalyptic games but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says otherwise...)

A little patience, that's all people need to play this game. Stop and think before killing and you will go further :) Hell, sometimes you don't even need to kill...

P.S It also helps if you're reading the book while you're at it

I know Bi5ON is on the dev team or something so I'd just like to say outstanding job guys!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MarshMellow96 said:
A little patience, that's all people need to play this game. Stop and think before killing and you will go further :) Hell, sometimes you don't even need to kill...

The problem is that a lot of people are of the opinion that requiring patience is a sign of poor game design.

My friend was playing through the frontline chapter and every 5 minutes he'd start screaming at me "fuck this bullshit it's impossible!" etc. I'd calmly point out that he should defuse the tripwires, or avoid stepping on glass, or something else that just requires a little bit of observation instead of rushing ahead and he'd make it through just fine...until the next time he got killed by a trap or fell into a hole.

"What the hell how was I supposed to know there was a hole there?!"
"Did you try looking down?"
"Why the hell would I ever look down?"
"So you don't fall into holes.."

luka said:
"What the hell how was I supposed to know there was a hole there?!"
"Did you try looking down?"
"Why the hell would I ever look down?"
"So you don't fall into holes.."

:lol So true.

I've found myself on pipes without realising and it's just terrifying...

Just finished the game, overall I loved it. My only downsides were some of the outdoor sections,the story and that each station you go to are small. But everything else I loved even the controls. The graphics, lighting, and sound are top notch aside from some audio glitchs. I didnt think much of the turtle beach x41 headset I just bought untill I played this game, just hearing the sounds of creatures on the floor above you, and running from behind you had my heart pumping a lot. I highly suggest playing this game with headphones or surround sound, I didnt think this game would be scary, but I jumped a lot. The fire fights are awesome, and intense, it just looks phenomenal with the lighting and the smoke trails from the guns. Didnt really use stealth my first play through but will on my second.

I love when games like this come out of no where and deliver,Im hopeing for a metro 2034 but whatever game 4A games developes next ill have my eye on.

JaxJag

Banned
Just hit chapter 6, and I've been really enjoying the game outside a few stealth sections.

I love the fact the game doesn't hold your hand like most games today. It's not constantly telling you which button to press, or which way to go.

I think in a lot of ways Metro 2033 feels like shooters I grew up with as a kid. And I think that's a big reason I'm really enjoying it.

Pachimari

What I'm having most trouble with right now is the Field of Vision; gives me major headache. I had to open a window, as I got all sweaty and warm! Having only played for 1 hour (at chapter 2) :lol

Though I like the game so far, really detailed.

you can set the FOV in user.ini
i set mine to 60, much much better.

i am playing on a 3d projector with the scale set to 1:1 and WOW, what an experience. the gunbattles are great. its like being in a real firefight, you have to take it slow, also dont stay in the same cover for too long and DONT switch on your light... :)

tremendous, just did the 'first got an AK' fight... WOW

For anyone having trouble with the librarians, I uploaded a video showing how to get through those sections quickly. It's a bit sloppy but you can see how easy it is once you get a handle on how scripted that sequence is.

Librarian Spoilers:
Stand still while they stand and posture at you, back away while they come towards you and keep them in the centre of the screen at all times. If they get aggressive (because they got too close, you attacked them or you looked away) then just run into the next section. Each librarian will stay in their own "room" and you'll never have to deal with more than one at a time.

WARNING: Chapter 5 gameplay spoilers in the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrs0LOYDvJU

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anastacio said:
What I'm having most trouble with right now is the Field of Vision; gives me major headache.

In Steam\userdata\(number)\43110\remote\ find the user file and open it in notepad. Then edit the "sickfov" all the way at the bottom.

16:10 resolution (1920x1200, 1280x800) = FOV of 53
16:9 resolution (1920x1080, 1280x720) = FOV of 58

Gattsu25

Banned
lorebringer said:
For anyone having trouble with the librarians, I uploaded a video showing how to get through those sections quickly. It's a bit sloppy but you can see how easy it is once you get a handle on how scripted that sequence is.

Librarian Spoilers:
Stand still while they stand and posture at you, back away while they come towards you and keep them in the centre of the screen at all times. If they get aggressive (because they got too close, you attacked them or you looked away) then just run into the next section. Each librarian will stay in their own "room" and you'll never have to deal with more than one at a time.

Creepy fucking AI

I love it :lol

Pachimari

Stallion Free said:
In Steam\userdata\(number)\43110\remote\ find the user file and open it in notepad. Then edit the "sickfov" all the way at the bottom.

16:10 resolution (1920x1200, 1280x800) = FOV of 53
16:9 resolution (1920x1080, 1280x720) = FOV of 58
I really appreciate you helping me. =)
It's just that I'm sitting with the review copy for the Xbox 360 and there's no way changing the FOV in the console version.

So I'm doing another break after starting chapter 3. Really getting my headaches but the game is straight on awesome.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
lorebringer said:
Each librarian will stay in their own "room" and you'll never have to deal with more than one at a time.

I had to deal with two once. Both attacking me!

reviews seem bipolar for this game in terms of the quality of the AI (and therefore viability of stealth)

I like playing bioshock 2 in a slow deliberate manner - searching every corner of every room for items, checking around for cameras or enemies by moving slowly and carefully, setting up traps for enemies (trap rivets, hacking bots etc)

how does metro 2033 compare to this playstyle? to me bioshock 2 hit the right combination of action and caution/stealth. I dont like additional levels of stealth/caution beyond that (eg I hate games where if you are seen by one enemy, you blow it and have to restart)

kittoo said:
I had to deal with two once. Both attacking me!

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it's never intended to give you more than one to deal with. If that happens there's no way to keep looking at them. I'd be willing to bet that you just ran into a bug, this game does have it's fair share after all.

I killed a librarian with just my knife, on normal difficulty, I had no ammo so I was dodging him then would stab him In the back then would hide, a few times he broke right through the brick wall and scared the living shit out of me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That section with the Librarians was scary as hell. There were at least 3 occasions where I shouted profanities and nearly jumped out of my chair due to Librarians appearing right behind me. I killed two of them, but eventually just said "fuck it" and ran like hell through the rest of the section. They are surprisingly easy to just outrun.

cleveridea said:
reviews seem bipolar for this game in terms of the quality of the AI (and therefore viability of stealth)

I like playing bioshock 2 in a slow deliberate manner - searching every corner of every room for items, checking around for cameras or enemies by moving slowly and carefully, setting up traps for enemies (trap rivets, hacking bots etc)

how does metro 2033 compare to this playstyle? to me bioshock 2 hit the right combination of action and caution/stealth. I dont like additional levels of stealth/caution beyond that (eg I hate games where if you are seen by one enemy, you blow it and have to restart)

in my opinion metro is a better game, the gun fights between the humans and creatures are so intense a fps hasn't givin me that feeling in a long time. The games sound and atmoshphere is somthing that will draw you in more than bio 2. In my opinion some of the best sound I've heard in a game, I was turning my character in the direction every time I'd hear a creature walking or screaming. And the game can be a challenge at times but it's a really good thing' I learned slot from dieing

Pumpkins

Outtrigger888 said:
in my opinion metro is a better game, the gun fights between the humans and creatures are so intense a fps hasn't givin me that feeling in a long time. The games sound and atmoshphere is somthing that will draw you in more than bio 2. In my opinion some of the best sound I've heard in a game, I was turning my character in the direction every time I'd hear a creature walking or screaming. And the game can be a challenge at times but it's a really good thing' I learned slot from dieing

Agreed. I didn't get a chance to play BioShock 2, but to me, Metro 2033 is better than BioShock. The narrative and setting are just far more interesting, the world is brilliantly well imagined, and yeah, it's just downright creepy at times (but never to the point where you feel like the boogie man is going to pop out of a mine cart or something :lol ). Not to mention that there's a lot of interesting social commentary (as well as prominent themes) that get through in really memorable ways (like over-hearing conversations or having someone talk to you, which happens often). I felt like in order to get the full emotional impact in BioShock, you had to pick up those tape recorders (which was kind of a chore really). In Metro, it's all integrated in a way that allows the player to discover what's going on through the eyes and ears of Artyom, not through a tape recorder or something. The narrative in BioShock didn't feel quite as structured as it does in Metro either.

It was kind of this constant "go here to here feeling", whereas in Metro you have sections where you meet up with others, go solo on other missions, take rests at stations where you know you're safe (something not present in BioShock, but not necessarily a detriment), travel to the surface (which is a big variation in environment... And in BioShock you always felt like you were in Rapture. Again, not necessarily a detriment).

And overall, I felt like Artyom was just a small force in a huge conflicting world, but there were still good people and still hope in some places. Whereas in BioShock the main character felt alone all the time and everyone around you was mentally insane.

You also don't start out solely by yourself in Metro (whereas in BioShock you do). You start out with those that take the mine cart out of Exhibition, then you meet Bourbon, then Kahn, etc. So you're guided and helped by others in the beginning, and you slowly learn how to be your own force, as opposed to BioShock where you have to fend for yourself from the start (unless you count the guy who talks to you on the radio). They're still both technically satisfying the requirements for a survival game, but to me, BioShock feels impersonal in that regard. Metro struck a much more personal note with me by being able to witness Artyom's character development.

Zefah said:
That section with the Librarians was scary as hell. There were at least 3 occasions where I shouted profanities and nearly jumped out of my chair due to Librarians appearing right behind me. I killed two of them, but eventually just said "fuck it" and ran like hell through the rest of the section. They are surprisingly easy to just outrun.

Gosh, I'm a bit scared now :lol . I'm at the entrance to the library right now, so I have no idea what these guys look like or how they fight.

Pumpkins said:
Gosh, I'm a bit scared now :lol . I'm at the entrance to the library right now, so I have no idea what these guys look like or how they fight.

Just remember no brick wall is safe, my character and boxers learned the hard way :lol

I agree with all your points in the bioshock comparision, for what its worth I could only get myself to play through bioshock once, but im already on my second play through with metro. Going stealth at points in this game really reminded me of the first few rainbow six games, where as if you took your time, and managed not to be seen or heard its very rewarding and fun experience, not many games do both stealth and full on firefights as good as metro does.

bi5on tell your team they did an amazing job, I have 3 games I havnt opened yet, and I went ahead and started my second play through, oh and metro 2034 please :D

Ricker

lorebringer said:

Librarian Spoilers:

Nice vids man but the fact that you die in a video explaining how to do stuff is exactly why I stopped playing this game in that section ;) :D

Ricker said:
Nice vids man but the fact that you die in a video explaining how to do stuff is exactly why I stopped playing this game in that section ;) :D

you can side step right before they hit you, and they will lunge behind you, turn around and blast or in my case knife them, I wish I had a vid of me taking one down with just a knife.

I might try to run through the game with just a knife and throwing knifes, to kill enemys, and would only use a silencer to take out lights.

Ricker said:

I didn't die. Are you thinking of the cut at the end of the first section? I just took out the cutscene which wastes a bit of time.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Finished the game last night. I was initially excited about this game, then put off a bit by a couple of uneventful gameplay videos, but I'm glad I picked this up. It had a level of immersion I haven't seen in a FPS in quite awhile, and that's saying a lot seeing how saturated the genre is these days.

Also, maybe I'm thinking of another game, but I thought I remember reading about Metro in GI and hearing about some amazing twist ending.

Either I completely missed it, or I'm thinking of something else.

belvedere said:
Also, maybe I'm thinking of another game, but I thought I remember reading about Metro in GI and hearing about some amazing twist ending.

Either I completely missed it, or I'm thinking of something else.

Ending spoilers:
There are 2 endings. If you got the "bad" one with all the explosions, nothing really unexpected happens. Although I woudn't exactly call the other a major twist or anything, there are hints throughout the game.

Ricker

lorebringer said:
I didn't die. Are you thinking of the cut at the end of the first section? I just took out the cutscene which wastes a bit of time.

Ah ok,I think I know what you mean now,I`ll spoiler the part I thought you died because I`ts a cool moment:
the part I thought was just before the huge Bat comes crashing in and fights with the beast a bit?

slamskank

I was gonna make a video review, and I still might, but I'm super busy right now. I wrote this after I beat the game, just a few thoughts on it.

I really liked it overall, there were a lot of memorable setpiece moments throughout, the world really draws you in and the pacing is excellent. The gunplay needed to be different from your average shooter in order for the game to work as well as it did. You have shitty homemade bullets, you're a lone guy scavenging around this barren world with the odds strongly pitted against you, and so you need to plan your moves, analyze each scenario and think on your feet. Having such "shoddy" gunplay helps create the feeling they're trying to give you, of desperation. It forces you to make every shot count, to sneak up on enemies to stab them when you have the chance to save ammo, and generally do everything you can to survive. This isn't call of duty where the bodycount reaches the thousands by the end of the game, and if enemies went down any easier the tension that is so integral to the whole experience would be ruined.

At the same time, I don't see the gunplay being as bad as people are saying. A well placed shot to an uncovered head from virtually any gun will do what it's supposed to. Unless the guy has a helmet, it's not like he flinches, shrugs and returns fire or anything like that, he drops dead. Shotguns at range are an exception, but it's a common rule for shooters these days to give shotguns the range of, well, about as far as you can throw somebody. The shotgun has become a fun weapon to toy around with and send people flying, but it has little resemblance to its real life counterpart. But that has become standard fare in games.

The graphics really delivered and played a huge part in nailing the atmosphere. The lighting, textures, and little details like the night vision smoke effects make it one of the best looking pc games since crysis. In a world of lazy console ports where everything gets the shit bloomed out of it to try and cover up muddy textures, I can't tell you how pleased I was to play a game with high resolution textures. There are a few things to note though. The faces on character models models are quite crude, and the textures on the surface have a noticeable drop in quality when compared to the underground environments, although sunshafts and other nice outdoor effects help to counteract that shortcoming. The blur effect is another thing that has its pros and cons. It played a huge role in delivering a sense of speed and fury in the movements of the mutants, but the effect looked particularly out of place on the humans, there's really no need to see motion blur when somebody moves a crate for example, it's just overkill. I didn't turn it off however, because it really enriched the encounters with the mutants in the game. Performance was another issue. I was playing the game on my PC, which is composed of an overclocked core i7 920, 6 gigs of triple channel ram, two GTX 260 core 216's, and an 80gig intel x25 ssd among other things. Given the fact my rig is not DirectX11 capable, I was still hoping for decent visuals, and I got them in spades, but the framerate was another story. Despite having a native resolution of 2560x1600, I soon had to concede and bring it down to 1920x1200 for a playable experience. I do realize my video cards aren't top of the line, but they roughly match a GTX 295. While I wish I had better frames, for the most part the game was pretty smooth with some levels being particularly brutal. It is however a game you can play at anything better than 25fps and still enjoy thoroughly. I will definitely give the game another go when the time comes to get a new video card.

For 4a to work so hard on making a game with such a great atmosphere, it's a shame the story is so weak. I realized this when I got to one of the last chapters in the game entirely uncertain of what the motivations to my current objectives were. Metro 2033 is based on a popular Russian novel of the same name, and it has all the ingredients to make an interesting story. A post apocalyptic world that sees fascist and communist revivalist factions waging war upon each other underground for control of the metro, complete with mutants and aliens, can easily make for a pretty awesome story, but I never felt that was acheived. In standard shooter fashion, there was little in the way of character development. You, as Artyom, say nothing when interacting with characters, though you do have brief monologues to introduce each chapter as it loads. An aside, the load times are screaming fast. I do have an ssd, but I think you'll be pleased with how quickly levels load on traditional hard drives. The english voice acting is very poor in my opinion. I specifically had a problem with Artyom. While I can appreciate the vocal mannerisms in Eastern European accents, he sounds like he is about start sobbing at any moment. He's supposed to be a young man going on an adventure for the first time, and so I can understand him not sounding like Ron Pearlman's Fallout 2 intro, but this is the other extreme, and it bothered me when trying to get into the story.. "I was just a eenfant when whe war.." shut up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
lorebringer said:
Ending spoilers:
There are 2 endings. If you got the "bad" one with all the explosions, nothing really unexpected happens. Although I woudn't exactly call the other a major twist or anything, there are hints throughout the game.

I got the
you climb the tower, successfully make contact and the missiles launch, taking out a "network" section of the city all in red. Arytom talks about how they have won and then the credits roll.

Is that good or bad? If bad, wtf did I do wrong?

2 player co-op would have been amazing, imagine your partner ringing a bell to distract guards his way while the other flanks from behind like a ninja, some parts of this game seemed like it was set up for co-op the one part where there a turret and hordes of enemy attacking yet your objective has you no where near the empty turret and it sits there unused basically while you complete the objective.

belvedere said:
I got the
you climb the tower, successfully make contact and the missiles launch, taking out a "network" section of the city all in red. Arytom talks about how they have won and then the credits roll.

ya this is the one i got too...good or bad?

Ricker said:
Ah ok,I think I know what you mean now,I`ll spoiler the part I thought you died because I`ts a cool moment:
the part I thought was just before the huge Bat comes crashing in and fights with the beast a bit?

Yeah I had just stopped the recording before it and started after. Forgot there was one more tiny section. To get it in I'd have had to do it again and I really wasn't bothered.

belvedere said:
I got the

That's the "bad" ending. To get the good one there's a bunch of little things you have to do throughout the game. Give beggars money, refuse to take the ammo payment for helping the kid etc. There's a list of the things to do here:

WARNING: Endgame spoilers at link!
http://ie.faqs.ign.com/articles/107/1078933p1.html

Or you could just youtube it.

Pumpkins

What do you guys think the DLC for this game is going to be?

New weapons? Challenge levels?

Also 4A if you guys are listening... You've all outdone yourselves with Metro 2033! This is a quality title, I am so glad there are developers out there that think like you guys do. Take a vacation... but when you get back think about Metro 2034... I for one would love to see this series continue!

Heck, I'm looking forward to anything you guys do. You've won me over with Metro, I'm sure you'll do it again.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I hope it sells good enough too warrant a sequel. It fell of from Steam charts and got to &#8470;7 in UK, but we'll have to see NPD figures, european figures and may be russian figures will also be high (since The Witcher sold here like 435 000 copies).

They can fix shooting a bit since some people can't even beat the game :lol Make hitboxes bigger on easy difficulty or somethimg like that.

bigswords

I finished Metro with the good ending
kicking the targeting device down, but it sorts of cheapens the sacrifice of the guys that died for the targeting device.

Its a really nice ride, but you will need a hungry power machine if 1920 x 1080 res is your monitor native res.

JaxJag said:
Ok, the part with the amoebas is just straight up terrible.

Agreed. The game seemed to keep climbing in quality from level to level and then it hit that part and I was confused as to how it could be so much worse than everything else. Thankfully its pretty short.

adelante

Outtrigger888 said:
I didnt think much of the turtle beach x41 headset I just bought untill I played this game, just hearing the sounds of creatures on the floor above you, and running from behind you had my heart pumping a lot. I highly suggest playing this game with headphones or surround sound
Could not agree more....I use an X41 myself and I was in awe at the muffled sounds of gun combat as my comrades were fighting off the creatures while I was far away from them completing my objectives in the Cursed station...

In other news, I managed to get the Invisible Man achievement...easier than I thought it would be but damn the guys at 4A can be pretty brutal with their level design haha. Only because I can be so obsessed with covering every single square foot of a level but Frontlines in particular offered me so many different paths to take, one of which even led me to pits beneath the train tracks but with nowhere else to go from there?!? :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
adelante said:
In other news, I managed to get the Invisible Man achievement...easier than I thought it would be but damn the guys at 4A can be pretty brutal with their level design haha. Only because I can be so obsessed with covering every single square foot of a level but Frontlines in particular offered me so many different paths to take, one of which even led me to pits beneath the train tracks but with nowhere else to go from there?!? :lol

You can easily sprint through the level pretty easily since its "no kills" and not "not be seen." Bandages make you invincible during the application animation apparently.

adelante said:

You can get back up to the tracks from the pits. Just follow your compass.

Bi50N

adelante said:

Sounds like you did it wrong... ;)

adelante

Bi50N said:
Sounds like you did it wrong... ;)
Lol most definitely...it wasn't really a complaint as much as me continually being amazed by the number of choices available in a largely linear game. And I have to point out too, that I think I ran into a glitch at the pits. I took off my gas mask when I entered that area and I realized I wasn't affected by the toxic air. Didn't think much about it, so I leisurely walked all way to the other side of the pit with no trouble until I was met with a wall. I was thinking there's gotta be a way out so I turned back. Think it was at this point when I accidentally hit the gas mask button, but I didn't have a spare filter and all of a sudden my character was suffocating! :lol So I panicked and couldn't find another way up in time :p

Bi50N said:
Thought I'd share this with you too - a piece of Metro 2033 machinima from Michael Barnes in the style of Eastern-bloc art-house horror... It's... incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MXXaPdg9Go

My god that was indeed beautiful, love the cross-processing tone and documentary style shots

Top Bottom